Seven Sows Bourbon and Larder
77 Biltmore Ave.
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Seven Sows Bourbon and Larder
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sevensows.com/
- Phone: 8282552592
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Mike Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Seven Sows Bourbon and Larder
Real Southern food. Real straight bourbon. No Pretense. Renaissance & Modernist cuisine of the American South.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Seven Sows Bourbon and Larder - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Seven Sows Bourbon and Larder reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)great for outdoor dining (35)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (27)good for groups (23)romantic (16)great for brunch (13)hot spot (11)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Adventuresome MenuFamilyfromAshevilleDined on 9/13/2014Seven Sows delivers on its adventuresome menu of Southern food. Everything we ordered was interesting and extremely tasty. The booths are cozy but overall it is a noisy restaurant. But then, what restaurant isn't these days? The four of us - all from Asheville and moderately serious foodies - had a great time and would go back again. We recommend the trout, pork belly and fried chicken wholeheartedly. Service was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvlivininAVLOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014As a person who was born and raised in the rural southeast and grew up enjoying real Southern cooking, I can honestly say this was not the traditional southern cooking my family and I so much enjoy. My husband had the fried chicken and although it was good it did not compare with the delicious fried chicken my Mother could make. The berry cobbler was downright disappointing! My son was pleased with the pork belly and I found the scallops delicious. All said we had a lovely dinner and enjoyed tasting the various flavors of rum but if you are expecting a knock your socks off southern meal you may be disappointed. I think this restaurant is trying too hard to be complex and good southern cooking does not need to be complicated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchMusicLover45Dined on 9/7/2014It was our first time dining at the restaurant and I had Sunday Brunch. The food and service was very good, with lots of different flavors in each of our dishes. We chose to eat inside but they do have a small patio for those who desire to eat outdoors. Overall would highly recommend to anyone seeking good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuddyDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed our evening and will return. Food and drinks were good, good selection of bourbon, menu selection for the evening just fine.Special Features:
- lttlesbDined on 8/31/2014Went there for the bourbon. Nothing else was that great.
- Wonderful dinnerMelissaDined on 8/30/2014As always, Seven Sows was amazing! Our server was very personable and had great recommendations for both food & drink. Make sure you try the pork cheeks oh so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service; except for hygieneMhartzVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was great, Pork Chop and Cheeks are outstanding. Service was wonderful, except for our server smelling like the strongest B. O. Ever...would have been perfect but we literally held our breath until our female server left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!HappyCamperDined on 8/16/2014We made a meal of small plates and loved each one! We especially enjoyed the seared scallops in light corn sauce, hush puppies with pimento cheese fondue, and steak tartar blended with ground peanuts, pickles, onion and other unusual flavors. We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummo!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/12/2014Our meal at Seven Sows was one of the best during our Asheville vacation. I wish we lived closer.Special Features:
- Best ribs everdickweitDined on 8/12/2014My wife and I had dinner at this restaurant. We both enjoyed our meals. I normally do not order ribs when out, but I have to say that your ribs were the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good experienceNsmartistDined on 8/9/2014Our third visit this summer. Dining here is different and I can't quite put my finger on what makes it different. For one thing, the staff make you feel like you belong there. I'm still exploring the menu which challenges me…that, I love. My favorite: hushpuppies and pimento cheese fondue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueVangeliqueDined on 8/1/2014Delectably unique culinary combos with excellent service. Prices too high given serving size and contents, but much is local and organic and preparations are very creative. Bigger complaint is most if the tables have very uncomfortable chairs. Ask for outside or a booth for better comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great reinvisioned southern food2jalapenosVIPDined on 8/1/2014Loved the atmosphere here and the simple, pared down menu. We were visiting from Chicago and wanted to eat at a restaurant with cuisine we couldn't find at home, and this absolutely fit the bill: deviled eggs, fried green tomatoes (with the scallop starter), fried chicken, cobbler. Loved the bourbon cocktails we tried, and the food was fantastic. I loved the scallops. The fried chicken was good, but wish it had been served with something acidic -- maybe a green salad with lemon or something pickled. (The mac and cheese was lovely but made the whole dish pretty heavy.) That cobbler! Order that cobbler. Simple, not too sweet, and generally un-mucked around with. Perfection.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceAustin1040VIPDined on 8/1/2014I've visited quite a few of the highly rated Asheville restaurants based on reviews on open table and finally we found one that lived up to the hype. Interesting, tasty cocktails, unique appetizers, well-prepared entrees, and an exceptional dessert made the evening a joy. The menu is a bit limited but everything we had was well conceived and nicely prepared. My friends and I will be back.Special Features:
- Will be back!SDE1Dined on 7/31/2014As usual - great food and service. Top notch place.Special Features:
- Should have knownDisappointedinAshevilleDined on 7/26/2014When I went to Open table, This was one of the few restaurants that had a 7PM table for four available. This should have been a sign on a Saturday night in Asheville. Take an earlier (or later) table at another spot.
- Most food great, service was offOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This was an unusual experience because some of the good was great, amazing even, but some was just not right. Ribs were amazing but the shrimp and grits are not really shrimp and grits - they are fired polenta sticks and nothing like shrimp and grits. This would have been a 4 star rating but the service was off. We had a table of 6 and they served our meals in groups of two over a 10 to 15 minute period of time. It made for an awkward meal since some people had their food and they could either eat when no one else was eating or let their food get cold. Curate was leaps and bounds above this restaurant.Special Features:
- Seven SowsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Seven Wows! My family of five (all grown) were all blown away. Waitress knew menu like back of hand, made great suggestions for starters, everyone of them perfect. Entree menu is short and to the point, there were 5 of them and 5 of us so we ordered one of each and passed around. All outstanding with pork chop and ribeye maybe a nose ahead at the end. Chef/waitress also timed the delivery perfectly...she overheard us say we were going to pass around and share, so the entrees came out in a perfectly staggered manner...was like having a seven course meal. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classics with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Our experience at Seven Sows was great. The food is served as small plates that are easy to share with other diners at your table. We shared the succotash, shrimp, hush puppies, and the pork belly. The hush puppies were the best that we have ever had since living in North Carolina. They were very light and fluffy, and the pimento cheese dipping sauce was great. The succotash was equally as delicious. Both of our protein dishes were really good. Neither my husband or I wanted to share with each other! We did not have any drinks, but they did have an extensive list to choose from. If we ever go back to Asheville, we would absolutely go back to Seven Sows.Special Features:
- Bourbon and Fried Chicken, Oh MySharonVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great ambience and equally great food. We started with a flight of bourbon, which was educational and yummy. I got a cocktail called Lion's Tail which was bourbon, lime, allspice and bitters. It was gorgeous! For dinner my hubby had a gigantic pork chop (13 oz.) served over stone-ground grits with grilled peaches and greens. I had to have the buttermilk fried chicken which came with mac & cheese and spring lettuces. So delicious! Ask to be seated in a booth, if possible. We arrived very early and could have easily gotten a booth if we had asked. But we were seated at a table for two in the middle of the floor where I had a special view of the Men's Restroom which was about 10' away from our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Explosion of the taste budsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014Wonderful mixtures of foods and spirits. Great place and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- By no means averageDDempDined on 7/12/2014Crazy decor. Weekly changing menus. Unique. Well priced. Best pork chop I have ever had. Hush puppies and the Primerib were fantastic! Definitely would recommend, but expect tattooed and unique individuals... After all, It is Asheville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cdt0256Dined on 7/12/2014There so many great places to dine in Asheville that you have to be really good or great to stand out. Our experience with the food we ordered this weekend was okay. Not great but not terrible. The steak we ordered medium rare came out the first time almost medium well. We sent it back and it came back out medium and we didn't want to send it back again so we ate it. It was okay but wouldn't consider it good or great. The hushpuppies were good and the heirloom appetizer was pretty good. We also had the trout dish which was again okay. Our service was great and the outside seating was nice. Overall I would give it a 5 out of 10.Special Features:
- Great as always!XXXXVIPDined on 7/10/2014We eat here every trip to Asheville and it is always terrific. I would highly recommend ordering the Charcuterie board, the fried chicken entree, and the butter scotch dessert. Always good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in AshevillenoneDined on 7/6/2014Food is great and very original and the service is terrific. We Go there every time we are in Asheville.Special Features:
- HeretodineVIPDined on 7/5/2014Waited very long, menu on line was different than I was giving, service very bade my waitress did not check or see if my food is ok or not, my grilled salad tasted like gasoline, my steak took medium rare took about 45 minutes to come out with lumpy fries, steak sauce was very sweet, and my steak showy over cookedSpecial Features:
- A great night!TheFoodCriticDined on 7/5/2014We loved every bite at Seven Sows on this visit! The chicken wings were particularly awesome, as were the ribs. The servers there are very friendly and pro!Special Features:
- JULYRowdygirlsDined on 7/4/2014Great food and excellent service. Highly recommend and we will return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Asheville mustMrGatorDined on 7/2/2014If staying in or near (we drove from Waynesville) be sure to plan a stop to Seven Sows. Menu is fun and interesting, and the food is lovingly prepared with great pride. The eclectic bar drinks are also delicious and they even create drinks for you around your taste. Our server (Katie) was very friendly and helpful. She knew the bar and food menu well, and was very attentive.Special Features:
- Very disappointedPoodleloveVIPDined on 6/30/2014After viewing the menu online, we were were so excited to try this fun-sounding restaurant. From the lukewarm greeting, to the uninterested attitude in any of our questions about the food and the cocktail menu--the server was subpar. We waited 30 from the time our first entree items came out until our last 2 items were served. I've never written a poor review, but I'd never return to this spot...maybe it was an off-night?Special Features:
- Sunday brunchNjoyDined on 6/29/2014We were almost the only people there at 10:30 on a Sunday morning, so we had the full attention of the staff. The peach pancakes were delicious as was the fried chicken. Sam Cooke songs made for a pleasant morning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Food is AMAZING! A must every time we go to Asheville.
- Food mediocre, service needs workthreecrayonsVIPDined on 6/19/2014The restaurant was empty at prime time. We ordered about 6 dishes and not one was worth talking about. A few were really decent, but this is not an interesting or good restaurant. Service was not amazing. Our server, while good intentioned, forgot my beer; she dropped all of our dishes at about the same time, instead of asking if we would like to course it out. When the check arrived we were charged more on the bill than what was on the menu. An honest mistake, but when it was corrected, it was corrected with an after-sales-tax manager discount, not a pre-tax adjustment. Also, it's downright insulting when a restaurant suggests a range of tips on the receipt (in this case 18%, 20% and 25% - what happened to 15%?).
- MonkDined on 6/15/2014Been there before several times. Always a new experience and always good. This was Father's Day Brunch. Had a wonderful toasted Cinnamon Roll with strawberries. Then a Junior Kimbrough Omelet with Chicken, Pimento cheese and giblet gravy. On the side, accidentally, I was served the best bacon I've ever had. My wife had Pulled Pork and grits with 2 fried eggs on top. Wonderful. and a nice grapefruit Mimosa. We love this restaurant, nothing is like anywhere else.Special Features:
- Creative, tasty menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014I found the menu to be creative and the beer selections a good match for food offerings. We ordered starters...beginning with hushpuppies and pimento cheese (very nice), moving into salads (the beet salad was amazing) and warm plates (gnocchi and hog jowls ragout was out of this world). Summer wheat beer from Unknown Brewery out of Charlotte was great. Highly recommend the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad FishMcQueen09Dined on 6/5/2014Ordered the yellowfin tuna and it was, hands down, the worst piece of fish I've ever had- seriously disgusting and so fishy. The mac and cheese was not good either. The rest of the the food was fine but ONE bite of fish ruined the whole meal. Also, some hippie threw a Frisbee at my friend, knocking her drink over and getting her completely soaked, and the waitress' only reaction was to say "Oh that's just Asheville". So basically an overall bad experience.
- Excellent Southern food31sandaDined on 5/31/2014We're both Southern and are irked when placed advertise themselves as such, but really aren't. This place rocks! We've never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most amazing ribs I've had.Kp22VIPDined on 5/30/2014Everything was delicious! Loved the casual/rustic atmosphere. Service was delightful- upbeat and happy. The appetizers - hush puppies and gnocchi were delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRadloDined on 5/30/2014Was our 2nd time there. 1st time, on August 15, 2013 for our anniversary and it was great . 2nd time on 5-30 2014, for our daughters birthday celebration we were very disappointed. Salad was omitted from my wife's plate, bread was omitted on my daughters plate. We ask and they said they were out of both, but for $3.00 each we could choose a substitute. I had fish, two tiny pieces with under cooked black eyed peas. On the good side the booze was good. This is supposed to be a special place and we will never go back and never recommend it to anyone again. The $150.00 tab was steep when we had to go somewhere else to get something to eat.
- Perfect meal.LynseyDined on 5/27/2014We are visiting from out of town and fell in love with this place. Kind and thoughtful service, excellent food, perfect patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.