7 Mine Brook Rd.
Bernardsville, NJ 07924Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.settenj.com/
- Phone: 9085025054x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: Open for Private Events,
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Allan Philip Russo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
- Catering: Be a guest at your own event by utilizing Sette Caterers. With a complete catering staff available and unique catering packages, inquire about our off premise catering.
- Private Party Facilities: We invite you to make your private events truly unique in Sette's intimate dining room. We will work with you to create an unforgettable evening of delightful dining in an elegant atmosphere. Private functions to guests are available throughout the week, Saturday & Sunday afternoons.
- Private Party Contact: Allan Russo 9085025054x
A word from Sette
Executive Chef Allan Philip Russo's restaurant Sette resides in prestigious countryside Bernardsville, New Jersey. An awarded recipient to "Best Chefs America" for years 2013 and 2014, Russo welcomes guests to his "Elegant Tuscan" dining room while delivering European hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sette reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (27)romantic (26)great for lunch (4)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Attention to detailbropaulDined on 8/28/2014Sette is a small restaurant with an interesting mixture of dishes from different regions of Italy. The food is very good and well prepared. I started with a bruschetta of tomato, basil and parmigiano, which was outstanding since we're at the height of tomato season. Then I had an appetizer special of prosciutto, figs & ricotta salata, the perfect marriage of sweet and salty. I followed with the rigatoni all'amatriciana, which I enjoyed thoroughly, though I suspect it was made with bacon and not pancetta or guanciale. What I particularly appreciated was the attention to detail - crisp linen, silverware with heft, good glasses and attentive service. All in all, a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SetteLeeRDined on 8/23/2014Tremendous food and service. Allan does a great job of making sure that everything is perfect. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrifDined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent and the owner was on top of everything from seating to checking that everything from you r table to your food was want you wanted. Very nice quiet small restaurant. We have been there several timesSpecial Features:
- Delicious!shopgirl24VIPDined on 8/20/2014The food and service were great. Had the braised short ribs, and the meat fell off the bone- really good. Buratta salad for starters was delicious. Will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday DinnerwineanddineVIPDined on 8/18/2014I could not have wished for a better dinner. The two specials of the evening, starter and entree (pork tenederloin) were outstanding. There are only 3 BYOB Italian restaurants that I can consider truely outstanding (2 in Somerset and 1 in Mercer). Dozens that I've tried are good or very good, but this is one of the very special restaurants..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bernardsville secretBebeDined on 8/16/2014Very nice. Good food. Great staff. We really enjoyed our meal at this adorable byo restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Our evening was perfect from food to service to ambiance. We love Sette and feel lucky it is so close !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffSVIPDined on 8/4/2014Another wonderful experience at the gem of a restaurant. Very solicitous, custom prepared for and a great dining expedience.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Chef owner is very attentive, makes you feel at ease and is always looking to make sure you have everything you want. Great place for a BYOB. W I'll be returning soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DiinerPisces72Dined on 7/24/2014Had dinner with 4 high school friends- selected restaurant because it was midway for us and BYO. We had a great meal (loved fig appetizer)- and I will return with my husband now!Special Features:
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2014Amazing food, and a cozy intimate vibe. Just loved it and can't wait to go back. The owner is engaged with the customers and really cares about his customers' experience. Few tables, which I think adds to the special and unique ambience.Special Features:
- Simply WonderfulTonyDined on 7/19/2014Chef Alan Russo's pedigree is evident from your first step into his beautifully appointed intimate dinning room. A warm greeting hints at the attentive but not fussy service that will accompany your fantastic meal. To make a suggestion of the menu choices is to suggest one first and one last, when all are simple ingredient dishes expertly prepared and presented wonderfully. A chef's tasting menu would be a great choice! One thing you won't find on Sette's menu is disappointment. As for Chef Alan's pedigree; ask him when you visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrifDined on 7/19/2014Food is excellent, service is just as good. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian Restaurantasdf1234Dined on 7/15/2014The menu had lots of interesting and intriguing options. Most of the dishes were very good but not quite spectacular. They all seemed to be missing just some special spark that would have really made them standout dishes. The service was attentive but the courses were slow in coming out. There were just two of us and it took two hours for 3 courses. I'm fine with a leisurely meal but only when I'm the one eating slowly to force that pace. We both finished each course fairly quickly and then had a long wait for the next. Sometimes you want a good meal but you don't want to hang around all night. All in all it was an enjoyable evening with good food, even with a very loud table right next to us which was amplified in the small space.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and BYOB in BernardsvillemakeitrightDined on 7/3/2014My husband and I recently celebrated out anniversary at Sette (Italian for the number 7). The owner greeted us at the door, gave good advice and obviously cares a great deal about the quality of the food. Our appetizers were relish and the lamb tenderloin was delicious and very tender. The creme brûlée was very rich and we did not go home hungry. I understand it can be hard to get a reservation here, so I am glad that we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodFoodieManDined on 7/2/2014We really enjoy Sette. Alan Russo, the chef-owner is on hand to make sure the meal meets expectations. He will even prepare special dishes upon request. All of his selections show the care taken to offer high quality, well seasoned and delicious dishes to his guests. His gnocchi is "to die for". All ingredients are brought in each day so they are the freshest possible. The restaurant is small with seating for only about 30 people, so it is sometimes hard to get a reservation on a weekend night. The restaurant is right next door to the Bernardsville Cinema so it is well situated for the "dinner and a movie" crowd. Don't miss the opportunity to savor what Sette has to offer. Once you try it you will become a regular I'm sure!Special Features:
- DunwalkeDined on 6/23/2014Sette is a wonderful, small, intimate venue. The food is exquisite. One can enjoy a delicious meal with friends and one's own wine without any pressure from the waiters.Special Features:
- Great food, great service.DLovesDiningDined on 6/21/2014We have always had great food at this BYOB. The food is so fresh and flavorful. This is a great spot for a nice night with your sweetie or for a double date. Must reserve a table in advance. Well worth a visit again and again.Special Features:
- ireland1Dined on 6/18/2014Sette is always consistently excellent....the freshness of the food, the execution and the presentation and the ambiance! A pleasure4 to dine there!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Date NightDateNighterDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I just had a baby so this was our first nice dinner out by ourselves in a long time. It did not disappoint. The food was excellent. The Exec Chef was actually waiting tables which was really nice to see. The portions were just the right size so you actually enjoy the food and don't leave the restaurant stuffed. The menu has some great items on it, but the specials were too good to pass up. Would go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming intimate boiteCfw1VIPDined on 6/6/2014We were immediately put at ease by the staf as we waited for a family member to show up. We were offered our table and the waiter was over right away. The bread was delicious and hot with gourmet butter. Everyone enjoyed their entrees as well. How nice to have such a good place be BYOB so you can get a great wine at retail without a markup. It helps your dining dollar go further although Sette is full (and appropriately) priced. Best of luck to this owner/chef. His gnocchi are to die for.Special Features:
- hacker2VIPDined on 5/31/2014My wife loved her pasta and qiche appetizer. The salad I had not was average not worth $11. The fettuccine and shrimp was just OK. Not what I expected. Next time I will try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014This place is a liitle different type of Italian restauarant. Different dished from various parts of Italy. I like veal dishes and pasta with Bolognaise suace, mussels as appetizers etc.....so gor me this is not the place to go I tried the Orata which was ok.
- #1 ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014Every bite was bursting with flavor. Service always perfect. Still my #1 choice for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomemsull9269Dined on 5/24/2014We dined here Saturday, May 24th for our anniversary. The food was truly amazing and the service was outstanding. The chef's tasting menu was delicious.Special Features:
- Sette - Bernardsville GemgdfoodVIPDined on 5/23/2014I have passed by this restaurant many times in the past several years wondering what it was all about. My wife and I made early reservations on a Friday and WOW what a terrific surprise from the personal attention that Alan Russo provides his patrons, the spectacular array of more than interesting menu items, to the relaxed environment for a Superior Dining Experience. We will certainly return for more of Alan's delightful and masterful creations!Special Features:
- ExcellentwineanddineVIPDined on 5/20/2014After reading all of the very positive reviews about this restaurant, I wished to try it. It was as good as the many said it was. It was a quiet Tuesday lunch, and I got a remarkably great meal from the soup to the pork scaloppini pancetta; High quality ingredients prepared with creativity. it was so much more than the 'Traditional' Italian cooking that so many average restaurants offer; 4 1/2 to 5 stars on the quality of the food. This BYOB Bernardsville restaurant is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day successpickyeaterDined on 5/11/2014My Mom & Aunt are not easy to please, & they were effusive in their praise of our lunch here for Mother's Day. The menu was, as far as I could tell, their regular menu (no buffet, no prix fixe, no mandatory 5 courses). My family loved that it was quiet/peaceful so we could talk, but a beautiful space as well. I loved my Fettucine alla Nonna, and the bruschetta is phenomenal. Oh and the owner, Mr. Russo I believe, came around & personally introduced himself & chatted, which my family liked. I was worried about parking, but we found street parking in front of the restaurant, which also shocked me. It is also right down the street from the train.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific experienceJaz000VIPDined on 5/3/2014This was our second time at Sette. Upon arrival, Alan (the owner) greeted us and introduced himself. He returned later to pour additional wine for us and let us knows that the kitchen was taking special precautions for food handling due to my fiancee's severe seafood allergies, and to apologize for any slower experience. (side note, we didn't notice any delays -- but he was kind enough to let us know and explain specifics of how the dishes and utensils were being cleaned.) His presence and the capable service of our primary host/server ensured that our every need was met. Meanwhile, the meal was amazing, and we look forward to our next opportunity to return. It can be a little pricey, but being a BYO offsets it sufficiently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 144 reviews are from the Sette reviews archive.
- A Real FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Had to schedule a business meeting somewhere near Bernardsville, NJ and looked online for some possibilities and accidentally found Sette Cucina in Bernardsville. Was pleasantly surprised by this gem. The chef / owner Allan Russo does an incredible interpretation of classic Italian dishes worthy of the most discerning foodie and the ambiance is elegant and understated. An absolute find... looking forward to going back with my wife.Special Features:
- Great food!sphillyfoodieDined on 4/17/2014This restsurant, although a little small, is a great find. The food was amazing and the service was wonderful. It's a BYOB so make sure you bring your favorite wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingtwafeVIPDined on 4/14/2014Great care, preparation and provisions made for an outstanding experience! Mr. Russo makes dining at his gem a true joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceang1278VIPDined on 4/14/2014The restaurant is SMALL-and it says on the menu to keep noise to a minimum to not disturb other guests. It's BYO, but go to 56-Degrees around the corner for a great wine recommendation. The short ribs were excellent, and the gnocchi was delish!! As soon as we walked in the restaurant, we were greeted with handshakes and introductions from the manager. Loved that extra touch.Special Features:
- 2nd time's the charm!ShirleyNJDined on 4/2/2014My first experience was so-so, but the owner asked me to come again and give them another chance. I went for lunch with friends and found the food to be delicious! I had the caprese salad which was delicious and made with white balsamic (I think) which gave it a bit of a sweet flavor. The greens were fresh and mild. I had the rigatoni with Pancetta which was cooked to al dente perfection with just a bit of spice. The pancetta added a nice depth to the flavor of the dish. Plenty of food for lunch. I shall return! We had opentable reservations for lunch but there was plenty of room for walk-ins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatluv2eatDined on 3/28/2014Service wasn't very good. Forgot our appetizers. When we told them, they brought one during our dinner (comp). Took over 35 min. for our entrees to arrive. Best part was the wine that we brought. Food was good, not great.
- Sensational!ScottyVIPDined on 3/25/2014Can't wait to return. Service was first rate, food was amazing and the place is spotless! Seafood was fresh, pasta was aldente and dessert was homemade. We never felt rushed which is huge for me. Will return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/25/2014Great find. Really enjoyed this restaurant. We came for lunch and found an extensive menu, great service, ambiance and delicious food. The owner, Alan, came out several times to check on us and also provided us with an exquisite amuse bouche. We began with the bruschetta. I also ordered the antipasto and the special entree; snapper. It's a light crowd for lunch but I am told it can get quite busy in the evenings. Will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingShirleyNJDined on 3/22/2014Bruschetta was toasty/chewy and the basil and tomato had great flavor. For appetizers we had a special, the asparagus fritters, and the shrimp (off the menu). The asparagus fritters were tasty -- maybe just a bit too much fritter for me. The shrimp was disappointing. It was served with cabbage in a cream sauce -- just lacked much flavor. We shared a risotto with asparagus for the next course which was good but nothing particularly memorable. Main course was filet with peppercorn sauce (steak had a heavy rosemary flavor; a bit tough). Other main course was a special, cod simmered with onions. Completely flavorless and cod seemed overcooked. Very disappointing. I'd try again for lunch but dinner was about $140 including tip and no dessert.
- Good food but eclectic menuJDChesterDined on 3/22/2014The food was solid but menu was a bit odd - maybe a bit to creative or prententious for average folk. Fit for discerning foodies but not a place to have a normal Italian meal on a Saturday night. Menu was also a bit small and limiting.Special Features:
- The excellent and good serviceGovvieVIPDined on 3/21/2014The excellent and good service at this small venue were made difficult by other patrons who were speaking at the top of their voices. Why do people in this country find it necessary to speak so loudly in restaurants? At one point I wished we were in the Sistine Chapel where there is a constant "shhhhhhh" quieting the noisy crowd. Sette has excellent food, a caring owner-maître 'd and courteous service, but the noise level interferes with what ought to be a pleasant and genteel evening. Nevertheless, we'll return.Special Features: