2495 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
Potrero Hill / Dogpatch
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.serpentinesf.com/
- Phone: 4152522000x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Deepak Kaul
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: 22nd
- Public Transit: The 22 Fillmore Muni bus line stops at the corner of 20th and 3rd streets.
The T-Line Muni Train also stops at the corner of 20th and 3rd streets.
From either stop, walk two blocks up 3rd street to Serpentine. We are on the corner of 3rd and 22nd streets.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is easy in the evenings and on the weekends. Weekdays are more difficult.
A word from Serpentine
Tucked in a corner of a brick warehouse in the heart of Dogpatch, Serpentine features an ever changing menu shaped by local farms and ranches. Soaring ceilings are warmed by cozy booths and tasty twists on classic cocktails. Glimpses of Serpentine's sister restaurant, Slow Club, shine through in the fresh lunch and dinner menus, the intimate bar and the candlelit room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Serpentine reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (75)great for brunch (42)great for lunch (30)special occasion (22)vibrant bar scene (20)good for groups (20)hot spot (16)romantic (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Innovative and excellent!FoodyoneVIPDined on 8/23/2014What a talented chef....with an innovative approach to every dish! Loved the calamari and the terrific salads! The salmon entree was excellent and the scallops were superb! The place is modern, somewhat minimalist and trendy, and the service is friendly and knowledgeable, with excellent suggestions if requested. All four of us loved it and will return!Special Features:
- Great food, but noisyOccasionalDinerDined on 8/22/2014I was convening a business lunch, so choosing the Dogpatch neighborhood made for an easier commute from 280 for guests from the Peninsula as well as SF. Unfortunately, parking was horrible - even on a Friday - so public transportation or a taxi is really a smarter way to get there. Out-of-towners will need to allow time for circling and for walking many blocks. The music was quite loud upon arrival. They kindly turned it down, but it was still a bit of a challenge to have a conversation. Food was excellent, however, the server did forget someone's drink and needed to be reminded. I will return to this restaurant, but will likely avoid it for future business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceEISFDined on 8/12/2014We had a party of six for dinner and had a terrific experience. Excellent food for appetizers, main, and desserts. They were very flexible assisting us with sharing all six main course choices and desserts. Well chosen wine list with some lesser known, but outstanding wines. We all left very happy.Special Features:
- Darn Good!FoodAmoreDined on 8/6/2014The first time I had dinner at Serpentine, I was meeting a colleague for dinner and the restaurant was her choice. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal - both the textures and flavors of the food, as well as the menu offerings. We shared our appetizers and entrees - everything was good. Last night, I brought another colleague to dinner at Serpentine. Again, we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals - we shared appetizers, veggies, and entrees - outstanding! The menu changes, so no use getting a particular dish in mind - but be prepared to enter foodie heaven! Oh, I did not mention the staff! Warm smiles, great menu and wine advice (both visits), attentive yet not intrusive. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend totally the brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I have been to Serpentine 2 times. One for diner, and another for brunch. The service was good, and the food. I recommend specially the brunch, even if you have to wait a long time to have a table.Special Features:
- BiltongmesDined on 7/29/2014We shared appetizers and did not have any main course, though the burger did indeed look appetizing. All were good, especially the scallops (should have gone with a full order). Service could have been a little more attentive, perhaps because there was a birthday party at the next table. Rated very good because of the food, but really a 3.5 star due to service glitches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but too fast - too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014I will always love Slow Club, and Serpentine gets high points by way of association. The food and scene definitely met my expectations, though it it arrived so quickly I felt rushed. On top of that the noise level got in the way of an enjoyable meal and conversation.....I would go back, but with some hesitation.Special Features:
- Great spot, horrible acousticsShazamaxDined on 7/24/2014Great overall feel, great service. Halibut dish bland, pasta dish superb, noise levels way too high! Invest in acoustic absorption, please, so I can flirt with my wife. Please?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not such good food anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/23/2014Food has not been so constant, I had to send mine back as it was not warm all the way through, the replacement dish was not much better. Drinks, service, and ambiance great, need to focus on the food to get back to greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceMattVIPDined on 7/16/2014I don't make it out to the Dog Patch much and just happened to be taking dance lessons for my wedding next door so I wandered in. If you are a hamburger fan, eat at this restaurant. Good ambiance, great service and even better burgers. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Good...but...PeterVIPDined on 7/16/2014the food and service are good - however, the noise level is very loud - and only gets worse as the place fills up (which is usual) - they really need to do something in the ceilings to help reduce the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dogpatch findKhatonVIPDined on 7/9/2014The curry soup was very flavorful and I loved the spicy taste. The duck leg was quite large, very tender with a broth that made it very moist but didn't take over the taste. The accompaniments that came along compliment the dish very well. I don't like calamari very much but did like it with the cornmeal. The pickled veggies with the yogurt dressing are very good too except some of the veggies seemed a little hard. These days I always feel rushed by restaurants and dining started out that way but I felt lucky because the kitchen made some kind of error so we had to wait for our 2nd course longer. Yeah, we were having dinner with friends we don't see very often.Special Features:
- good but not special lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014i.personnally was very pleased with a delightful roasted beet & watermelon cold soup and probably one of the better Caesar salads of my life. However my guests were disappointed. we went there on my brother-in-law's recommendation as it was his birthday and he felt that it was definitely his worst food experience there.
- Food was solid, service was greatMelYDined on 7/2/2014From the hostess to the waiter to the bussers, all were friendly and provided great service. My water glass was constantly being refilled. The food of course matched the service. Calamari and squash salac were amazing. Salmon was fresh and cooked perfectly. My friends ordered scallops, duck leg, and burger and all gave two thumbs up. Overall a solid dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downhillRPeatsVIPDined on 7/2/2014I've had many fine lunches here but not in the last few months. It seems that something has gone terribly wrong. I had to send back the kale salad...the dressing was oddly flavored and there were other off-characteristics as well. The replacement caesar was missing real caesar flavor and came off as pretty generic. The sauce on the chicken had a bitter quality. My friend and I really just didn't enjoy the food at all. The service wasn't much better. Even though there were many empty tables, we had long waits for each transition and had to ask for utensils and the bill. What happened Serpentine??
- BLapVIPDined on 6/27/2014Great food. The service behind the bar is a bit "hipster attitude" but one just needs to ignore it and set the bar pretty low from a service standpoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!gladWEgotINDined on 6/26/2014We had our anniversary dinner at Serpentine. Our friend works at a place with the same owner and recommended it. We were not let down. The food was perfect and the menu makes me want to come back for more. A little loud, but that's what you get when you have a packed house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 6/23/2014We arrived early so that we could enjoy one of the perfectly crafted cocktails before dinner. We then "grazed" on mostly appetizers, the Indian ribs being a favorite. Items came out of the kitchen at different times, so it was good that we weren't trying to do something more coordinated. We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the theaterEddieVIPDined on 6/18/2014With a 6 PM dinner seating we had a great meal and easily made our 8 PM curtain downtown. Food was excellent, parking easy and the wait staff friendly and efficient. I'll be back.Special Features:
- great casual restaurantPickyDinerVIPDined on 6/17/2014Went there for lunch. Loved the burger and Asian salad.Special Features:
- The new weekend brunch spot1HappyHappyJoyJoyManDined on 6/15/2014I had lunch on Father's Day with my son and 7 of my closest friends. The food was excellent, the staff was very attentive and we all loved the interior design of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local venueFelixDined on 6/15/2014We were there for a special birthday as part of a first time visit to San Francisco. The menu was very eclectic and the food delicious. It is quite a noisy, open space without a great deal of ambiance. Staff was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointingDinerMinerDined on 6/9/2014I've been eyeing this place for a while. It looks like a great place from the outside, so when a friend suggested we meet there, I was happy to go. The food was not very inspiring. For the price, I expected better flavors. Many of the dishes I tried were one dimensional. The service was also not great. While I don't think the food was bad, I don't think I'll be going back.
- Serpentine is an extended living rmwrongrobotDined on 5/30/2014We used to live a few blocks away, when Serpentine first opened. It had less traffic early on, and we found ourselves there evenings for dinner and weekends for brunch, pretty regularly. It got to be, if we were going to go out, we'd just go there. We still make it a point to come back to Serpentine on a regular basis. A few brunches a month, dinner once a month. The local menu is dynamic and fun, the staples like the brussels sprouts and chick pea calamari, or the corned hash and bread pudding, always delight. And for me, the highlight is the house cocktail menu. Monice's Shrine! We were completely spoiled by having it around the corner as our extended living room. And as a bonus, now that we have children, they're kid friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for both dinner & brunchMaamsayVIPDined on 5/24/2014Serpentine has an interesting menu: continental american/european style dishes, but with an interesting hint of Indian influence. In many of the dishes, there was a certain spice or ingredient that gave it a slight Indian slant. Not sure if this is intended by the chef, who's name looks Indian or related, but the overall result is quite nice. Save room for the lemon buttermilk cake dessert! The wait-staff are all friendly and attentive. Glad we tried dinner for the first time after a pleasant brunch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool, upbeat restaurantDinerGirlDined on 5/17/2014very good food and service, quite loud though. we ate there on a saturday night and the place was bustling....the menu had a lot of good and strange items. the location is in SF dogpatch which was outside of the city and not a cab to be found so make sure you make travel arrangements ahead of time.Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceLuv2dine2Dined on 5/4/2014My meal was a savory bread pudding. It was delicious - although had tons of butter. My friend liked her baked eggs very much. My other friend had chicken fried steak. She did not care for it. I did not try it but it did not look great. It was the opposite of delicately fried. The service was not good. The waitress was very abrupt. When we inquired about the dishes, she gave snippy answers. For example, I asked how big the bread pudding dish was she said" " pwell I don't know the exact circumference". She also walked away while she briefly answered another question. The place is very small and cramped. We were happy to be in the very back, where it was a bit quieter. The downside, it smelled like old coffee grinds.Special Features:
- YUMMY!luv2goodfoodndrinkDined on 5/2/2014Food and cocktails are sooo delicious and not as pricey as other comparable places. Their gnocchi was the best I have ever had! The service is great and the bartenders, manager and server were wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 850 reviews are from the Serpentine reviews archive.
- True neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2014Feels like a speakeasy when you pull up. Friendly people and excellent food inside. Best/most inventive cocktails within 50mi.Special Features:
- Fundraiser DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014We had a wonderful time at the AIDS/Lifecycle fundraiser event held at Serpentine. The food/service and general experience we had at the restaurant was wonderful. Highly recommend Serpentine!Special Features:
- RingLeader1VIPDined on 4/22/2014It's been a little while since we last dined here, and I am happy to report, it is still wonderful! Excellently prepared food and cocktails! Loved the rabbit three ways, the scallops, gnocchi, pork mortadella salad, and all six cocktails, three each! Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for date nightschexeeDined on 4/18/2014A new addition to the Dogpatch, it's a great spot for a semi-formal dinner or pretty vibrant brunch. It doesn't quite have the reputation of Nopa or other similar restaurants, but, in my opinion, it's just as good and you don't have to wait months for a reservation :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and very tasty food.makkayDined on 4/17/2014I usually order a few appetizers when I go there. They always use ingredients in a different way. For example, root vegetables shaved to make a really delicious salad or fried chickpea battered calamari, both enough for a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceStephZDineDined on 4/13/2014I had passed by Serpentine a few times and had seen line out the door on weekends. Finally decided to try it and it was pretty delicious. I got the Fannel Brisket Hash and it was GREAT! I never thought brisket would be great paired with beets but it was decadent and it paired with the brisket very well. My friend got a breakfast sandwich, which was good, but I mean I could cook that at home… She wanted it though. Ruby Mimosa was great! The asian waitress (forgot her name!) serving us was great, attentive, and very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch spotBroseVIPDined on 4/11/2014I ate the veggie burger which was nicely spiced with good fries. The iced tea was a bit weak. My friend was able to get the veggie burger on a salad. Good variety of food. Service was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem!AMM3Dined on 4/5/2014Delicious food, easy access, waiters and hostess worked hard to make sure you have what you need. Must have a reservation or will have to wait a whiile. Definitely a Neighborhood Gem and I keep going back! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014My boyfriend was late and lost. He doesn't know the City and went to two other locations before finding Serpentine. The waitress knew I was stressed and definitely knew he was stress. She calmed him down immediately with a ready drink, and then fabulous food. I think they were already closed for service, but opened for him and his entree was delicious. If it wasn't for our waitress our night would have been ruined. My girlfriend and I started with the fennel salad, which was light and delicious. We both had the perfectly cooked swordfish. My boyfriend had the juicy thick, house burger with crispy fries. So with fantastic service and great food - we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the travelworldwideDined on 4/2/2014On the other end of the city, the food is as distant from great as is the restaurant from the heart of the city. Nice interior but the quality and taste of the food does not match expectations that price and marketing set. Go elsewhere, safe the time to go that far.
- perfect brunch soptAnnaMarieDined on 3/30/2014A friend who lives in the neighborhood recommended it for brunch and it did not disappoint. Delicious, filling, well-sourced, well-seasoned, satisfying, savory. Excellent drink options as well. Light, airy. A little loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchrudyDined on 3/30/2014Very nice Sunday brunch with a good variety of choices. Food was fresh and well prepared. The Savory Bread pudding was delicious, as well as the Crab Benedict. The eggs were perfectly poached. The coffee is good with timely freshly brewed refills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.