Seres Restaurant and Bar
1105 NW Lovejoy Street
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Seres Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://seresrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9712227327
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Jun R. Tan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for catering/event information
A word from Seres Restaurant and Bar
Seres Chinese Restaurant features fresh, natural, whole ingredients. Seres’ dishes feature naturally raised meats with no hormones and no antibiotics; sustainably-caught or naturally-raised seafood, and fresh, locally made bean curd from Portland’s own OTA Tofu. Extensive Gluten-Free options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Seres Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)good for groups (6)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Interesting and tastyYumasteVIPDined on 8/11/2014Seres is a solid restaurant with nice modern décor. The entrees were tasty, contemporary and interesting. The vege spring rolls were the only dish we had that was mediocre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Asian Food everDebaVIPDined on 8/2/2014We started with the hot and sour soup. It was in a heavy beef broth (think authentic Frnch Onion soup). Salty but otherwise tasteless. We asked for vinegar to give it some flavour. None of us could finish it. Sweet and sour pork was giant deep fried balls of gummy dough circa 1950's. They were inedible and I was too busy spitting them out to notice the sauce. The spicy lamb with pancakes was cooked in what tasted like a super salty Jerk sauce. The pancakes were actually 8 inch tortillas (looked like they were straight from a bag). The wrapped the lamb up burrito style. Barely edible. And finally the Prawns. The Mandarin sauce was as close to catsup as possible. The prawns, however, were perfectly cooked.
- Upscale Asianlemons4uVIPDined on 7/30/2014In a area of Portland that lacks Chinese restaurants, Seres is a gem. Food is creative and portions are generous. Lots of variety including lamb dishes, as well as the traditional chicken, beef and seafood. Some entrees are vegetarian. The staff is more than willing to explain how each dish is created. Loved the pot stickers, but the crab filled wontons were cold in the inside. Decor is sophisticated and modern. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Chinese11goose19VIPDined on 7/29/2014Last time I ate at Seres was when it was Sungari Pearl. There were many lunch option to choose from. My group of seven ordered 7 different lunch dishes and each was reported to be tasty and just the right amount of spice heat and quantity. Service was attentive. Overall a very good lunch.Special Features:
- Best Portland Chinese RestaurantSteveVIPDined on 7/18/2014I've had several dinners here and I'm always please with the freshness of the ingredients and the flavors. The Moo Shu Pork, prepared table side is excellent. The scallops were the best I've ever tasted, tender and flavorful.Special Features:
- Good food, slow servicePdxLinEatsDined on 7/15/2014Overall my visit to Seres was middle of the road. The food was pretty good - I appreciated the fresh, quality ingredients. The fried rice dishes could have used a bit more flavor, but I was still impressed overall with the food. The service however, was poor. Slow service, missing server and long wait times diminished the experience overall. I haven't found a great chinese restaurant, so I may go back to Seres again to give it another chance.
- DisappointedBonniePDined on 7/9/2014We had not been here in awhile and were disappointed in our food. I asked the waiter if there was a new owner or chef and he said no. At that point I thought possibly they had a fill-in for the night. The food was okay but with all the great food in the city of Portland, I would go someplace else.
- OverpricedRickVIPDined on 6/20/2014Service nice. Restaurant nice. Food was like a Panda Express - at least the 5 items we ordered. House Noodles smothered in a heavy dark sauce. Generals chicken was more breaded than Popeye's chicken. Broccoli was ho-hum. Apps were so-so. Ok if it was a $50 meal, but it was a $100 meal. Will never ever go again. Will recommend against it. Need better cooks.
- kinda boringboringDined on 6/14/2014Food was good not great. drinks were fun not fabulous. expensive. boring atmosphere with no music to be heard. ghost town on sat night.Special Features:
- Nice alternativeRyanxlDined on 6/3/2014Was arranging a group dinner and looking for something different and this fit the bill. We tried a number of appetizers and dishes family style and most was very good. The General Tso was a little disappointing, but everything else was very good. Nice location with plenty of street parking.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodPDXfoodieDined on 5/17/2014An outstanding variety of fresh, delicious foods. We've been there many times and the quality of food is consistently good. The Mongolian Beef always draws us back!Special Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the Seres Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Prom Night Dinnerfreerun9716Dined on 5/3/2014I have been to Seres several times before, but the night I went was really special because it was PROM! :) The food was really delicious; I ordered the sesame chicken and my date ordered the sweet and sour pork. Everything went really well and after dinner, the waitress gave us a complementary dessert which was really nice. I would recommend Seres to anyone looking for a unique location and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese food!LaxLassDined on 4/27/2014Seres is a "go-to" Chinese restaurant where the quality and variety of offerings are excellent. There are offerings on the menu not offered elsewhere. Definitely worth a trip!Special Features:
- FantasticMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 4/19/2014I live in Chinatown, San Francisco, and this place truly serves authentic food. It's probably the best Chinese food in Portland. You will definitely find cheaper Chinese food along 82nd Ave., but here you'll get what you pay for. The orange chicken was top quality (no wasteful, pasty dough here) and the string beans were tops. I wish there was an extra menu for lunch on the weekend...unless that was their lunch menu, and if it was, the dishes ranged in the teens; pricey. Still, I should come back for dinner. Loved it, loved it, loved it!Special Features:
- My "Peking Duck" DestinationAvicDined on 4/12/2014Great place to eat, wonderful ambience. Located in the Pearl District, it's truly accessible. Peking Duck was delicious & served mess-free. You gotta try it! Vegetables were cooked to perfection. A friend of mine have not tried baby bok-choy so that's what we ordered & she loved it.Special Features:
- Best Chinese food in PortlandBeninpdxDined on 3/28/2014This is by far the best Chinese food in Portland. If you like overcooked and soggy veggies , deep fried, greasy ,heartburn in a box Chinese then this isn't for you.! Everything is fresh, amazing flavors and you will not need to take rolaid when done! Try the Buddha's Feast with a glass of White wine. (My favorite)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a terrific place forJudyDined on 3/15/2014It's a terrific place for Happy Hour. Good little plates, both meat and vegetable. We have been many times as we have friends who live nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceJulesDined on 2/19/2014Had a family dinner here for my son's 28th birthday. Great food, and especially great service. Thanks Seres!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, amazingly slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed all of the food at Seres, but were blown away by the lack of servers/staff at the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a try!RickDined on 1/31/2014We are new to Oregon and decided to give this a try in spite of some bad reviews on yelp. Let me keep it short just give it a try because it is a great place. Beware the dishes the serve are big.Special Features:
- appetizers, wontons and potstickersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014appetizers, wontons and potstickers were tasty. Sweet and sour chicken was a bit crunchy but had a good flavor. The service was a bit slow, especially the time to get our bill. No fortune cookies at end of the meal - is that out of style now? Good but not great meal. Won't rule it out for another try, but not high on list to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for dinnerLen23Dined on 1/30/2014Like a quiet place where the food is well sourced with great ingredients and great service.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere & excellent food!SteveDined on 1/27/2014We sat in a private booth and looked out at the vibrant street scene on NW Lovejoy. Our server was knowledgeable and made some very choice recommendations for a new dish for us to try along with the right bottle of wine that went extremely well with our entire dinner. I would definitely recommend Seres to anyone looking for a great dinner (bonus that it's the most delicious Chinese food I have ever eaten) with a great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portland ChineseSteveVIPDined on 1/6/2014Best Chinese Food in Portland. Fresh ingredients and great flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Day, 2014RtinocVIPDined on 1/1/2014We were extremely impress with the quality of the food. Presentation flavors. Best Chinese we've had in a very long time.Service was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still like small plates bettervanfoodieDined on 12/31/2013Service was excellent as always. We love their food, but we were kind of disappointed to find out that they didn't have happy hour menu (small plates) due to holiday season (New Year's Eve). We like to order many different dishes. All the items we ordered were pretty good. Our favorites that night were hot & sour soup and scallion pancake. We didn't care for chicken with young ginger, both taste and texture were a bit strange for us (It was the first time we ordered). We also ordered sauteed eggplant with garlic, dry green bean, scallop with black bean sauce and Seres fried rice (which had shrimp, pork and chicken). There were three of us. I guess we ordered too much. Somewhat the taste was a bit off (either salty or bland) that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise, merry Christmas!Scarlatti0521Dined on 12/25/2013Got a $25 dollar gift certificate on Christmas Day! We were the last couple (as always) and were with our three-year-old daughter, who was enjoying wearing her sparkly dress and doing spins in their foyer, at about 10 o'clock in the evening. When I asked why, the hostess said because of her and pointed to my daughter and smiled. Up until that point I had not been very satisfied with the customer service, but that instantly made up for it. We had The pressed duck, the sea scallops, and also noodles with chicken beef and pork. The cocktails were very finely crafted, my husband's date bourbon was delicious but strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-so for christmasFrenchieDined on 12/25/2013i loved the idea of going to a chinese restaurant for christmas dinner. i wanted to have as unchristmas a holiday as possible. SERES was in the pearl and offered a menu with organic means and fresh ingedients. it sounded perfect. unfortunately not quite so perfect when we arrived. we were only two and seating for two-tops is limited. we finally setlled on a table close to the front and were constantly chilled by cold air coming in from the large front door. i had to eat with my coat on. the food was a notch up and my chicken and broccoli felt fresh and perfecctly done. lots of brocooli (cooked to perfection) and declicious chicken also excellent duck salad rools. i'd give it an A- for food and a D for ambience.Special Features:
- Good food, overbooked on Xmas EvemvivaceDined on 12/24/2013This may be an outlier experience as we went on Christmas Eve. We were seated 45 minutes late for our reservation. Food was good but Seres was overtaxed by the numbers of people they were trying to serve. Next year: Hire some extra staff on special days.
- Best Chinese Food in PDXSteveVIPDined on 10/25/2013Fresh crisp and tasty. Excellent Moo Shu and tender scallops.Special Features:
- Nice dinner at Seres...DebiVIPDined on 9/12/2013Had a really good experience at Seres. The restaurant is nice and open. Service was good, a tad slow but very attentive and we liked all of our dishes. The prices are reasonable and portions are just right. Pot stickers were especially good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chineese Food in the PearlLovejacksonVIPDined on 9/4/2013I had dinner there two nights ago and think it is the best Chinese food I have had in some time. The starters were average but the main dinners were very good. The service was attentive and overall a good experience. We will go back.Special Features:
- good chinese in PortlandjillandamyVIPDined on 8/24/2013this is one of a hand full of good Chinese in Portland. It's a little spendy for what you get ($3 for a single cup of rice) but the food is good and drinks too. Service better than most Chinese places I've been. Easy to find and plenty of street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2013The quality of the meal, particularly the appetizers, was no better than what fast-food Chinese restaurants for less. The chicken in lettuce wraps amounted to chopped chicken in a gooey flavorless cornstarch mixture. This was a recommendation by the waiter. The pork was like leather. The menu selections were pedestrian. Nothing I could see was innovative with respect to ingredients or preparation. I would not return or recommend this place to anyone. Low point of my trip to Portland.
- Waiting, waitingTheExperienceVIPDined on 8/11/2013Upon arrival there was no one at the hostess desk, staff was sitting at a table but ignored the front desk area..Someone came out of the back and seated the party ahead of us who were also waiting. After 3 minutes or so, a kitchen member came out to offer assistance. Great we were seated, now the real wait, after 15 minutes! (our res was for 6, seated at 6:07, it was now 6:25) staff came as we leave. He was not a waiter?? Anyway, we tried several different dishes, not great. Pieces of chicken are too large for bites, they don't give you a knife. Pork fried rice not on menu, no almond or cashew chicken. The salt & pepper chicken was good, but very dry. Tables are to small for Chinese food as I always order for take home.. Find another place!
- Best Chinese food in Portland,hgwpdxVIPDined on 7/14/2013Best Chinese food in Portland, lovely setting, great staff, very good wine list by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new placeladyjDined on 7/14/2013We were given a gift card and found that we enjoyed the food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! The scallop and crabOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/25/2013Wow! The scallop and crab fried rice was outstanding! Nice and quiet while we were there for lunch great food and service, will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/12/2013Fresh, delicious Chinese food. Sizzling soup is a great starter. Sesame beef is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great service,diner1361Dined on 3/31/2013great food, great service, always a delight. I dont go there often enough!