3700 Orleans Ave
New Orleans, LA 70119Neighborhood:
Mid-City / City Park
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.serendipitynola.com/
- Phone: 5044070818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 to 2:30
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00 to 11:00
Bar Monday - Friday 4:00 to 12:00
Saturday - 6:00 to 12:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris DeBarr
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Parking lot at Restaurant
A word from Serendipity
Inspired by the jazz of New Orleans & seasonal, creative fare by Chef Chris DeBarr matched to impeccable cocktails & adventurous wines, Serendipity is a stellar "neighborhood joint" that is exciting and affordable. With partner Ed Diaz of the legendary Bar Tonique, Chef Chris has created a friendly place with the most inspired menu the city has ever seen, unexpected yet playful & delicious! Serendipity is a local hangout with world class food at prices that seem a steal. Imaginative soul food for today's New Orleans!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Serendipity reviews from OpenTable diners
- inventive menuMrTooDined on 9/20/2013The chef is creative and the food well prepared. The prices seemed lower than the last time I was here. The service was somewhat lacking--we were first brought room temperature water which was refilled with ice cold water--and it took quite a while between visits from the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally disapointed. Bad service.Melmal74Dined on 9/20/2013Totally disapointed. Bad service. Lack-luster food. Won't be back.
- Exceptional cuisineMaxFromLADined on 9/14/2013At this meal we had the chicken, pork, short ribs, and the chopped liver spread - all were superbSpecial Features:
- Fabulous fish and free wine bottle!getitdonegirlDined on 8/1/2013Although I arrived late, the staff was very relaxed and welcomed us to take our table anytime we were ready. This set the tone for what continued to be a very relaxing and enjoyable evening. The restaurant was running a summer special that included a free bottle of wine with the purchase of an entree. I had a fabulous fish dish that was so good I wanted to lick the plate. My friend has a shrimp and pasta dish that was equally delicious. The wine was a slightly effervescent variety that was perfect on a hot summer evening. The staff was attentive, but not over-bearing. The food was outstanding. I'll be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a bit overpriced. TheyNolafoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2013Food was a bit overpriced. They do not offer iced tea. I have never heard of a restaurant that does not serve iced tea. Appetizer portions were small compared to the price. Quality of food seemed good and fresh but not a large menu selection.
- Serendipity is a DelightSoozieFoodieDined on 6/18/2013This is a wonderful, adventuresome restaurant that is most aptly named. Some of Chef''s creations are more successful than others, but for anyone who is interested in what imaginative use of ingredients can produce, this is the place for you. Beet goat cheese ravioli remain my absolute favorite as I work my way through this exciting menu.Special Features:
- Not sure what to thinkelitanDined on 6/15/2013Maybe we need to give it a second chance because we liked Green Goddess so much when chef Chris was there. To be fair we were dealing with one person having difficult food allergies combined with veganism but at Green Goddess there were always options that were exciting and worked. The online menu made it seem like Serendipity would be the same but the actual menu was much more limited. There was no seasonal vegetable plate. Maybe we should have pushed the waiter after he said it didn't exist to ask if the kitchen would do something like that. So basically a difficult diner that had had good experiences at Green Goddess and wasnt so lucky with Serendipity.
- Chef Chris DeBarr does it againNewYorkdinerDined on 6/14/2013I ate at and loved Green Goddess twice while Chef Chris was there, so when I discovered upon my most recent trip to NoLa that he'd opened his own restaurant, I was eager to try it. Serendipity is out toward the bayou but by car or cab is almost a straight shot from the French Quarter, along Orleans Avenue. I was there for lunch and and I ordered several appetizers including the Shrimp “Wearing a Grass Skirt”, which was delicious roasted shrimp in wrapped in Kataifi,drizzled with a classic barbecue shrimp sauce. It more than lived up to its name. Also, excellent was the Greener than Green Salad: Arugula tossed with honeydew melon, chèvre, thai sweet & spicy pumpkin seed brittle, & basil-ginger vinaigrette. The ginger beer was refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven but still very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2013I love the food and the craft cocktails here. For some reason, many of the dishes are different each time we order (and not "better"). However, each time there is at least one spectacular dish amongst us. The chef is very talented if somewhat erratic and I always highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Not very kid friendly.xxxxxVIPDined on 5/18/2013Limited menu is good for adults, difficult for kids. Large groups can dine easily here.Special Features:
- ambitious menu, food not equalNOLAdinerDined on 5/9/2013My family went there last night as my wife is vegetarian and the menu looked great. Unfortuneately, the menu over-promised and the food under-delivered. I expected complex food but I was left wanting. The vegetarian options were lacking flavor. The meat options didn't "quite work out". The lamb baklava sounded exciting -- it tasted like pecans and minced lamb. Goat empanda was a goat meat turnover. The meat should have been either seasoned more or marinated. Its definitely not a place we'll go back with so many other options in the city.
- be prepared to waitprimadanaDined on 5/3/2013food was hit or miss. some dishes totally wowed us [the oysters on crouton, crawfish hushpuppy]. others underwhelmed[ the greek fish taco, mushroom bread pudding]. the cauliflower dish was undersalted but oversaged . there were a couple dishes that had the thanksgiving vibe which seemed odd for spring . pimm's cup was delicious. our biggest complaint was the wait. we had a 9pm reservation yet we were not served our entrees until 11. it was nice that the chef visited out table twice. I thought we could have been offered a complimentary dessert instead of the repeated apologies about the wait. even the drinks took awhile . inventive menu and atmospheric. pleased overall.Special Features:
- Food was good but underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/27/2013Food was good but underwhelming given expectations. Everyone ordered different things and there was general agreement that some of the appetizers were amazing but many of the entrees fell flat. The waiter was barely attentive, somewhat rude on occasion and not very helpful (requests to replace napkins ignored, didn't check In on drinks much, long stretches between seeing him) . Overall after the race reviews I Was expecting a lot more.
- OOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/26/2013The food was decent. The service was terrible. It's also a hefty cab ride from the Quarter.
- Awesome, can't wait to go again!HollyDined on 4/22/2013Serendipity was wonderful. The food was interesting and delicious. The cocktail menu was awesome. It's in an old cannery in a rough part of town but it totally worth the cab ride, 5 minutes from the French Quarter. The service was excellent and we found lots of great veggie options. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Food was excellent, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/15/2013Food was excellent, however only 8 food items on lunch menu were available...and it took over AN HOUR to receive our LUNCH. Actually took an hour and 20mins to receive our food (and there were only 4 other tables of people present).
- I would highly recommend SerendipitKVBSPECIALDined on 4/15/2013I would highly recommend Serendipity to people that enjoy trying something new.Special Features:
- The lunch menu was small butCupcakes29Dined on 4/11/2013The lunch menu was small but then a number of items had been changed or were not being served since the menu was in flux. I ordered their shrimp in grass skirts (not on the lunch menu) and chef did prepare it and the bison-beef meatloaf was wonderful. They aim to please and will accomodate.Special Features:
- good service and place, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013good service and place, food was interesting in design but not impressive in flavorSpecial Features:
- Went with a group of five.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/3/2013Went with a group of five. Three of the dishes we ordered were good. Two were inedible. The mushroom bread pudding should be avoided. Menu is full of unusual flavor pairings, some work others fail miserably. If you are up for an experiment - give it a try. Price points were also a little high for portion sizes.
- LOVE the menu!!! Great chef!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2013LOVE the menu!!! Great chef! Got a steak that wasn't the best cut of meat, but was cooked better than many mignons I've gotten from other restaurants.Special Features:
- Thanks, Chef ChrisDocADined on 3/26/2013Chef Chris puts together a fresh and creative menu, with excellent options for your veggie friends. The drink menu keeps up- they make great standard cocktails and also some very creative muddled mixes. All the staff are attentive and pleasant, without being overbearing. We love the fact that the kitchen is open a little later than most other Mid-City restaurants. The whole package is a welcome improvement from anything that has been in that space in the past.Special Features:
- I had tastes of a lot of dishes,happybellyDined on 3/26/2013I had tastes of a lot of dishes, most of which were complex, delicious, and amazing in some cases. Two dishes I ordered myself were less than stellar--the green salad, which I found to be underseasoned (it would have been better with more citrus or vinegar in the dressing), and the Moroccan Carrot crostini. The crostini was not crisp enough, and the carrots seemed rather bland for their description of being "spiced." On the whole, though, the meal was excellent. When most things are so great (goat empanada, Sultan's nest dessert, the wine, the rutabagas, the cauliflower soup, etc), it makes those things that are NOT so great stand out more. I would most definitely go back to Serendipity, and I would suggest it to friends. Delicious!Special Features:
- The food wasn't that great,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2013The food wasn't that great, but would defintely go back for drinks!
- The food was very under seasoned.DawnDined on 3/19/2013The food was very under seasoned. The crawfish hushpuppies were tasteless and super dense. Cauliflower soup was good but had no salt. I ordered the tasting menu and there was no real stand out. Overall, I really did not like the food although the menu was interesting. I guess my biggest disappointment is that everything was under seasoned.
- Nothing special - really nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013We live in the area and had been looking forward to trying Serendipity for some time, but left underwhelmed. The fish was significantly over-cooked, the trio of cheeses arrived on a pretensiously over-sized hunk of granite that dwarfed both the cheeses and the table, and the wild mushroom bread pudding was so laden with nutmeg as to be inedible. We tried to like it, but there are really lots of better options available. This location has been a disaster for every previous restaurant, so maybe it just isn't meant to be.
- Overall, we were very disappointedJayNolaVIPDined on 3/14/2013Overall, we were very disappointed in Serendipity. Walked in with high hopes but sadly, the food and service left a lot to be desired.
- Coolest Dining in New OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013We had the crawfish hush puppies, shrimp in a grass skirt, and fish taco. Everything was a new and interesting flavor. The entire menu is just filled with things you've never heard of! Really fun place, excellent atmosphere, and we'll definitely recommend.Special Features:
- We ordered the tastings.cimjindyDined on 3/7/2013We ordered the tastings. It was awesome. Took some time. I couldn't understand why. There was only one other table of two in there at the time. Then somene came in and picked up four bags of food. So, THAT's why it was so slow. Otherwise, we'll not only go back but bring people with us.Special Features:
- Not too big and not too small.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Not too big and not too small. Quite cozy! The service, attention to detail, and food were excellent.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. CauliflowermartygrawVIPDined on 3/2/2013The food was excellent. Cauliflower soup and the crayfish hushpuppies were very good. The hanger steak was perfect. And the dessert menu with gelato choices was awesome. We will be back to try his spring menu changes.Special Features:
- Great food, horrible service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013The food was fabulous. The service was abyssmal. We had an 8 pm reservation for 7 people. We arrived close to eight and were seated. 30 minutes went by before our drinks arrived. 45 went by before our appetizers arrived. Our entrees did not arrive until 90 minutes after we were seated. Our check did not arrive until nearly an hour after that (although we had asked for it). We did not leave the restaurant until 10:30. Every time the waiter arrived, we were ready: with our drink orders, with our food orders, with our request for the check. We were not tarrying--the delays were entirely the restaurant's. We wondered if, because we had a large table that would automatically be charged a 20% tip, that we were being ignored.Special Features:
- The vegetable dishes wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/28/2013The vegetable dishes were truly outstanding. The seared cauliflower appetizer with beet and fennel puree was amazing! The meat entrees were ok. Veggies are the true stars at this restaurant!
- Excellent food and drinks,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/26/2013Excellent food and drinks, especially pairings. Out of the way location; not easy to find - needs better signage. Nothing wrong with the venue, just nothing special. Typical modernized hip industrial look. No ambiance - almost sterile in feel. We came here after becoming fans of Green Goddess. We actually come back to New Orleans just to eat there. We were excited to try Seredipity. Chris is incredibly talented, but he seems intent on wooing the special people and wasn't the friendly guy we had met before. He spent the entire time we were there schmoozing with someone in a corner we could only assume was a critic, and literally kept his back to the restaurant and the diners within. We tried to say hello, but couldn't catch his eye.Special Features:
- The Greek "Fish Tacos" haveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2013The Greek "Fish Tacos" have to be one of my favorite fish dishes ever. Everything else was tasty and interesting. I will definitely be back to try more of these creative and intriguing dishes.Special Features:
- All of us enjoyed the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013All of us enjoyed the food. Service was excellent. The noise level was too high if you are having dinner with someone you want to have a conversation with. Your choice of "energetic" for noise level is too positive for a place that for us was "too noisy." Not sure if we will return based on noise level. Otherwise a good choice of a restaurant.Special Features:
- We looked forward to goingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2013We looked forward to going to Serendipity for its location is convenient and we enjoy trying new places. For a place proud of its bar, we were surprised there was no Cabernet Sauvignon offered by the glass. Cheese plate servings were stingy; crawfish hush puppies were tasteless, the meat in the Empanada was in edible (tough and gristly). We will not be going there again.
- Home Run by Chef Chris and Co.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2013After hearing so many great things, decided to check it out....so glad we did!! Everything was excellent...no complaints about anything at all!! Fun, inventive menu, something for everyone. Stellar cocktail, beer, and wine selection. The Absinthe Drip was astoundingly well-crafted. Run, don't walk to this place!!Special Features:
- Valentine's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013Crawfish Hush puppies and Pistacio Gelato was amazing. The Goat Empanadas were really good too, but the plate was small. The Steak Cauliflower was tasty but the cous-cous that came with it was a little blah and the spinach was a little too salty. Great for Vegans, Vegetarians and Gluten-Free People! The Menu is VERY different.Special Features:
- Very disappointed in thisStarDined on 2/14/2013Very disappointed in this place. Really tried hard, but didnt succeed in any dish except for the hush puppies. Drinks were apparently renowned, but when I asked for something simple, it came back a complicated mess. Menu needs adjusting and the food was below par. Owner was really engaged, nice place.Special Features: