6 Roosevelt Ave
Chatham, NJ 07928Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantserenade.com/
- Phone: 9737010303x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm,
Saturday Price Fixe: 5:30pm - 10:00pm;
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
We do not take reservations for the bar.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: James Laird
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom menus for groups 12-50 people
- Special Events: 50 Percent Off 50 Wines
Every Monday; select from a list of 50 wines at half price!
A word from Serenade
"Dinner at this jewel-like restaurant has been described as the “ultimate level of culinary enlightenment” stated the Asbury Park Press. Serenade serves contemporary French cuisine created by the collaborated efforts of James and Nancy Laird. Come visit this beautiful restaurant located in the picturesque town of Chatham, New Jersey."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Serenade - Best Restaurants in Chatham ›
Serenade reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (69)fit for foodies (59)romantic (53)notable wine list (44)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (13)hot spot (9)great for brunch (6)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- LadydocDined on 8/25/2014Great food and service, lovely wine list, one of the sole dishes I have tasted in years.Special Features:
- Excellent Service from DanielleLinSimDined on 8/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Serenade. The service was outstanding! The scallop appetizer and corn soup were delicious just as Danielle had recommended. The chicken and sole were also very good. We were too full for dessert but the complimentary sampler from the chef was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional and DependableStevenSVIPDined on 8/18/2014Always a treat. We go about once a year - heck, there's always something to celebrate. Always have a marvelous experience from the service to the food. The sommelier always stands out, always choosing something excellent and different and in a price range we're comfortable with. This is simply a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent food, overwhelmed serviceMattDined on 8/15/2014Food was great, nice decor and great wine list and sommelier. Service was clearly overwhelmed by the (high) number of guests. Seated for a while before being asked for drinks or offered menus, cocktails glasses were still on the table by the time dessert arrived... The place would deserve some table linens as it's on the higher end and the no linen-on-the-table gives a bit of a cheap feel to the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/15/2014Some welcome change on decor and dish garnish. Serenade never disappointed us. What it could have done better would be to change menu to make it a bit more exciting. Food can be a bit more innovative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usualjohnkVIPDined on 8/11/2014Once again the food and the service were fantastic. New items on menu exceeded expectations and service was discreet and helpful. A wonderful lunch that was not rushed - a very enjoyable couple of hours well spentSpecial Features:
- Seranade, simply sublime...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We have been to Seranade many times for "date night" and group dinners with friends, we have never been disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised to see stylish upgrades to the interior, while always very pretty, it now has a "wow" factor. Try this restaurant, the service is professional, the ambience is lovely and the food is sublime. PS, the toasted gnocchi is excellent!Special Features:
- wayneVIPDined on 8/9/2014always wonderful.They do it right every time.This is our go to place for special times.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyableSelmaAnneVIPDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I had another wonderful meal at Serenade. This has become our favorite place for "date night." The food is always perfect and the service top notch. I have food allergies and the server went out of his way to advise me what dishes would be certain not to trigger them. The Saturday night price fix menu has more than enough variety to suit any taste. I had the scallop appetizer, which were cooked perfectly and then the lobster entree. Again, cooked perfectly. The only disappointment was that there was no amuse bouche as there had been in the past. We look forward to that as a way of having a new experience. Even without it, Serenade is as close to perfection as could be and we look forward to many more meals there.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Delicious food and amazing and attentive service! Great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Food was good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent service and a great atmosphere but unfortunately like most restaurants in the area it is overpriced. Prices are inline with our favorite restaurants in the city and we never had to send food back like we did here. Watch out for your bar bill. With so few restaurants with a liquor license in this part of jersey they charge a premium for alcohol.Special Features:
- Consistently Great!HealthymomDined on 7/26/2014This is our favorite restaurant in the area!!! Food is Always outstanding, fresh, with interesting combinations of flavors! Service is top notch! and the sommelier is the best!!! We have never had a bad meal or bad experience at Serenade! Nancy and James Laird are true professionals and you can tell they love their restaurant!!! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionnicesurpriseDined on 7/21/2014We live in Chatham. We went for an anniversary dinner on a Monday night and the ambience, food and service was outstanding. We ran into friends who had just finished their meal and they joined us at our table for drinks. The staff was friendly, flexible and very professional. Looking forward to another evening there. Maybe try a more casual dinner and drinks in the bar. A neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serenade is a winner!NJVADinerDined on 7/21/2014When you look at Serenade's menu, it is comprised of very ordinary items - salmon, swordfish, sea bass, filet minion, etc. So you wonder how any of those could be worth the astronomical prices. But - every bite was delectable. I had a simple dinner of cucumber ceviche (flavored with cumin) with shrimp and vegetable garnishes, filet minion served with a potato pancake and a simple tomato side dish - and it was just wonderful. The yummy desserts also deserve mention.Special Features:
- SerenadeBurnseyDined on 7/18/2014Excellent menu with fresh local ingredients and innovative combinations. One of the best meals I've had in New Jersey or the City. Highly reccomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014This restaurant was recommended to me and I am delighted to now add it to my list of "go to's." The food is delicious and presented beautifully, the wait staff are attentive and anticipate one's needs. I took my daughter and 3 1/2 year old granddaughter for lunch and wondered if they were child friendly but immediately we were asked if we needed a high chair and the maitre d' came to the table and explained that although they did not have a "kid's " menu they can make dishes suitable for children. Amazing! The decor was simple but very attractive, it's BYOB so I will be going back for dinner as the atmosphere was conducive for a quiet dinner for two as well as a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special night outmrcook128Dined on 7/17/2014I took my wife to Serenade for our tenth anniversary. It was a Thursday night, so the dining room was not full. I called ahead to request a bottle of champagne at the table, which was handled by the Maitre D', who gave us just the right amount of time and attention. My wife and I each ordered a fish entree, and shared the gnocchi appetizer. In addition to the champagne, we ordered wines by the glass, which were perfectly paired, with the help of the sommelier. If you go, be sure to leave some room for dessert. We usually share a dessert, but this time we were compelled to each order our own, and were not disappointed. The tab at the end of the night was quite pricey, but for a special event like this, I consider it well worth it.Special Features:
- A NJ Gourmet GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Food is exquisitely prepared with great attention to detail and local, seasonal ingredients. All rooms are light filled and contemporary in decor. Service is professional to the highest degree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix fixeSusanRDined on 7/12/2014We've been to Serenade many times over the years. Food is okay to good, but definitely not as good as it once was. The mandatory prix fixe at dinner is annoying, particularly since the quality of the food does not justify the pricing. In addition to being forced into 3-4 courses, Serenade insists on a credit card # to hold the reservation. Perhaps the restaurant is unaware that even the top NYC restaurants stopped this annoying practice years ago. One last point on Serenade--the interiors which were once nice and well kept are now decidedly unkempt with linoleum that bubbles underfoot, worn carpets, and an overall dinginess. Serenade needs an overhaul--food, menus, interiors, staff.
- Amazing findOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/10/2014I took my husband to Serenade for his birthday (we're both foodies and live in the area.) We each had a tasting a menu with the wine pairing and were extremely impressed and cannot wait to go back. The food is unique and creative, that takes interesting and exciting approaches to tradition French/American cuisine. We are immediately planning another night back there with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerJnRogDined on 7/10/2014Truthfully Serenade is the most romantic restaurant I been to in a long time. The food is exquisite, delicious and beautifully presented. The owner and his wife are lovely and so accommodating. They made our dinner extra special!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caters to EveryoneSweetnessDined on 7/2/2014My husband order a vegetarian dish that wasn't even on the menu and the chefs were able to accommodate him. Everything was fresh, had great flavor and balance and was plated delicately and artfully! The only problem that we had was that everything looked so good and we couldn't decide what to eat! We will dine here again very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DurhamVIPDined on 6/28/2014Very good food. Very expensive. Interesting new "takes" on traditional food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another magical eveningStefanoVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had another fantastic and magical evening of dining at Serenade this past Saturday. Everyone at our table was thrilled with their selections and we just could not resist dessert as well. A consistently great restaurant and StaffSpecial Features:
- rapcaptDined on 6/26/2014Great service, one of the best restaurants I have been to for service.Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerChatham2005Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner here - it was on the early side, 6pm as this was the only reservation we could get 3 weeks in advance for Sat night. We had the price fixe menus - delicious and different. Wine list offered tons of options by the glass (which is how we ordered) and they were all wonderful. Also had a drink at the bar prior to dinner - bit of a tight squeeze but a nice atmosphere. Service was outstanding, as was the food. We noted on the open table reservation it was for an anniversary and dessert was brought w/ candles and happy anniversary on an edible scroll…such a nice touch. We never felt rushed and the portion sized (to me) were perfect - not too big. We left satisfied but not stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ho humparapluierougeDined on 6/20/2014Good food, pretty room, no personality. Waiter could not have been more stiff. Overpriced for what it wasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvementGD0627Dined on 6/19/2014I recently took two friends to lunch at Serenade. The restaurant is lovely and both the hostess and our waiter were extremely friendly and attentive. The food was very tasty as well. Unfortunately, I am rating the restaurant an overall 3 stars because the portions were entirely too small! We all had salads with grilled shrimp or chicken on top. There was less than a handful of lettuce leaves on the plate. None of us are big eaters, but to pay that amount of money and leave a restaurant still hungry is unacceptable. The plates needed more greens and something else substantial on them or at the very least, more protein on top. You can get a good and filling salad at almost any restaurant for lunch, I guess I just expected more at serenade.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable evening.DaveDined on 6/18/2014It would be difficult to find a better place in central Jersey for a special birthday celebration with friends with a variety of food preferences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Survived for a reasonMovingbacktothecityDined on 6/18/2014the original owner(s) flamed out. 20 years later we returned for a special lunch. The experience was perfect. Place: still simply beautiful. staff: more attentive and professional than ever. The food ... Wonderful. This gem lives because they keep paying attention to what is important. If you are a Short Hills, Summit, or Harding Township couple in search of a local, high quality respite ... Pick this place.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantbfrank4frDined on 6/12/2014We had our wedding reception at the old Townsquare 20 years ago. We returned for our 20th anniversary and it was better than ever. While we received the royal treatment, there was an air of celebration and enjoyment by the entire staff. The food was exceptional - I loved the halibut - wish I could figure out how the chef balances a slight crunch to the outside, incredibly moist inside. The appetizers of the special salad and octopus were wonderful. My husband was a little disappointed in the bison - but that might be due to him not really liking it in the first place. The chef also gave us a surprise on our dessert - just a wonderful joyful experience and I look forward to our 30th there...with of course some other visits in between!Special Features:
- For a special occasionNodieterDined on 6/4/2014The appetizers, and entrees were superb, fresh, balanced and satisfying. We were a bit disappointed that the place has eliminated the white table clothes, so the atmosphere is more casual than the price tag. The service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing tuna entreefoodtogoDined on 5/31/2014I have eaten at Serenade for years, and I've always enjoyed the tuna entree -- seared, served rare. I ordered this dish on Saturday evening and was completely disappointed. It was nearly impossible to cut and chew through! I left the bulk of it on my plate and the server never asked if anything was wrong given just tuna left in a pile. In hindsight, I should have sent it back.Special Features:
- Perfect evening outBadgernjDined on 5/25/2014Our dinner at Serenade was evenly paced, delicious and perfect. The service was excellent and everything was delivered hot and perfect. The wine list was outstanding.Special Features:
- Elegant and wonderfulWayneDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I recently vacationed in France, and we just had a desire to taste French cooking again. Serenade was a wonderful remembrance of French food. One of the best meals I've ever eaten! Serenade was elegant, very comfortable, and the service staff was truly remarkable. We'll definitely keep it in mind for special occasions in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not RecommendNoviceVIPDined on 5/17/2014We have dined at Serenade before and the food and service are truly exceptional. However, it is a VERY noisy restaurant, and the chairs are very dirty and stained. We were dining early evening and the waiters repeatedly opened the window shades where there was a blinding glare from the sun. We were able to ask the waiters to close the shades, but finally the manager opened them once again causing an awful sun glare which ruined the remainder of our dinner. I would NOT recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Worth Every PennybhawkDined on 5/11/2014For New Jersey, Serenade is charging high prices. In this instance, however, the prices are worth every penny. The food here is very clever, and is sometimes superior. The staff is ernest and eager to please. The spare modern decor is oddly appropriate to the space, and is comfortable. This is a top-notch restaurant, and should be on everyone's list of "must" visit restaurants.Special Features:
- Perfection!DKNJDined on 5/9/2014Food, service, ambiance all perfection! Great menu. Always a pleasure to eat at Restaurant Serenade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningMNierDined on 5/9/2014We came down from Maine to take my elderly mother for a pre-Mother's Day dinner. Our plane was delayed for hours, and the restaurant staff could not have been more accommodating, thoughtful, and flexible with our reservation. The wine list was impressive and the food was delicious. We didn't have the tasting menu, but would have loved to try it. The lamb chops were perfect and my husband's swordfish was prepared perfectly, with a lemon/olive oil sauce that tasted buttery (the chef insisted there was no butter)! Service was great, with just he right amount of attention. Thank you!Special Features:
- not bad not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014Food was ok..service was good. Pricing was over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.