6 Roosevelt Ave
Chatham, NJ 07928Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantserenade.com/
- Phone: 9737010303x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm,
Saturday Price Fixe: 5:30pm - 10:00pm;
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
We do not take reservations for the bar.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: James Laird
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom menus for groups 12-50 people
- Special Events: 50 Percent Off 50 Wines
Every Monday; select from a list of 50 wines at half price!
A word from Serenade
"Dinner at this jewel-like restaurant has been described as the “ultimate level of culinary enlightenment” stated the Asbury Park Press. Serenade serves contemporary French cuisine created by the collaborated efforts of James and Nancy Laird. Come visit this beautiful restaurant located in the picturesque town of Chatham, New Jersey."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Serenade - Best Restaurants in Chatham ›
Serenade reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)fit for foodies (58)romantic (56)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (41)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (15)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (6)hot spot (6)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Unique menu without going into NYCBrooklakeDined on 9/20/2014The tasting menus at Serenade are unique and delicious. Pair it with the suggested wines and you have a wonderful dining experience. They are willing to switch out tasting menu items but I find it best to keep it as offered unless one course really doesn't suit you. The service is attentive but not over-bearing. The vibe is sophisticated and modern. The bar is small in size but a perfect place for a pre-dinner drink or, if you can find a seat, a great place to enjoy the wonderful food in a more casual setting without a reservation.Special Features:
- lovely dinnerAndiVIPDined on 9/18/2014amazing food combinations, fig wrapped in proscuito on top of a fried green tomato! greatSpecial Features:
- Disappointing but not unexpected.CSaaDined on 9/8/2014Really just no vegetarian option, c'mon this is 2014. They meant well, but gave essentially the typical parochial suburban restaurant response: a vague offer to 'accommodate' the affliction with salad or pasta - no protein. Very polite and pleasant, even if the service was a bit disinterested (did you notice we ate under half the food?)
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Always dependable for a fine meal for a special occasion. My only negative comment is when ordering the meals paired with wine, the wine become quite expensive and the pourings are small. We have now gone back to simply buying a bottle.Special Features:
- Great date night!ChathamiteDined on 9/6/2014We had not been to Serenade in a while...the last time I was disappointed with the new look (lack of table cloths) and the so-so service. We had a gift certificate and tried it on Saturday night. The lighting had been dimmed, which helped the ambiance. And the service and food were fabulous! Serenade went out of its way to serve me delicious, safe food - they were very accommodating with my allergies. Thank you, Serenade!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food n servicesuzeyesVIPDined on 9/5/2014Just delightful! Went for a birthday celebration and enjoyed everythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsChathamFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Seranade has been on our regular list of places to eat for almost ten years. The food is always delicious and the wine list is impressive. We usually take the tasting menu, and have never been disappointed. Each course is paired with a carefully chosen wine and both work together to make a memorable evening. The wait staff is always attentive, but not hovering and the pace of the meal is managed quite well. At about $330 for two with tax and tip it is at the higher end, but we have many fond memories of each meal there.Special Features:
- AbtbDined on 9/3/2014Waitress jacket and waiter's apron was filthy. Husband 's meal was good but mine was not as I could not cut the meat. Dessert of cake (mediocre) and ice cream was good until my husband found a hair in the ice cream.Special Features:
- It was good, not special thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/2/2014The service was ok. We received good suggestions on the choice of wine (needless to say starting out with pricier ones, so we asked for a specific price range and found something really good there too). The food unfortunately has become a bit more focused on quantity than quality. I started with tuna tartare with pickled mangoes and that combination somehow didn't work. Some of the greens on the tuna were wilted. Edible, but nothing special. My main course was the special (sole) which was ok too, but nothing to write home about. It sounded so interesting with the cantaloupe risotto, but ended up being very heavy (fried sole, fried squash, heavy risotto, deep fried decoration), something fresh and interesting was missing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placsailorDined on 8/31/2014It was great as always. Thank you for your diligent effort to provide outstanding experience – food, service and ambiance were perfect. It is our favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LadydocDined on 8/25/2014Great food and service, lovely wine list, one of the sole dishes I have tasted in years.Special Features:
- Excellent Service from DanielleLinSimDined on 8/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Serenade. The service was outstanding! The scallop appetizer and corn soup were delicious just as Danielle had recommended. The chicken and sole were also very good. We were too full for dessert but the complimentary sampler from the chef was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional and DependableStevenSVIPDined on 8/18/2014Always a treat. We go about once a year - heck, there's always something to celebrate. Always have a marvelous experience from the service to the food. The sommelier always stands out, always choosing something excellent and different and in a price range we're comfortable with. This is simply a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent food, overwhelmed serviceMattDined on 8/15/2014Food was great, nice decor and great wine list and sommelier. Service was clearly overwhelmed by the (high) number of guests. Seated for a while before being asked for drinks or offered menus, cocktails glasses were still on the table by the time dessert arrived... The place would deserve some table linens as it's on the higher end and the no linen-on-the-table gives a bit of a cheap feel to the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/15/2014Some welcome change on decor and dish garnish. Serenade never disappointed us. What it could have done better would be to change menu to make it a bit more exciting. Food can be a bit more innovative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usualjohnkVIPDined on 8/11/2014Once again the food and the service were fantastic. New items on menu exceeded expectations and service was discreet and helpful. A wonderful lunch that was not rushed - a very enjoyable couple of hours well spentSpecial Features:
- Seranade, simply sublime...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We have been to Seranade many times for "date night" and group dinners with friends, we have never been disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised to see stylish upgrades to the interior, while always very pretty, it now has a "wow" factor. Try this restaurant, the service is professional, the ambience is lovely and the food is sublime. PS, the toasted gnocchi is excellent!Special Features:
- wayneVIPDined on 8/9/2014always wonderful.They do it right every time.This is our go to place for special times.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyableSelmaAnneVIPDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I had another wonderful meal at Serenade. This has become our favorite place for "date night." The food is always perfect and the service top notch. I have food allergies and the server went out of his way to advise me what dishes would be certain not to trigger them. The Saturday night price fix menu has more than enough variety to suit any taste. I had the scallop appetizer, which were cooked perfectly and then the lobster entree. Again, cooked perfectly. The only disappointment was that there was no amuse bouche as there had been in the past. We look forward to that as a way of having a new experience. Even without it, Serenade is as close to perfection as could be and we look forward to many more meals there.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Delicious food and amazing and attentive service! Great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Food was good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent service and a great atmosphere but unfortunately like most restaurants in the area it is overpriced. Prices are inline with our favorite restaurants in the city and we never had to send food back like we did here. Watch out for your bar bill. With so few restaurants with a liquor license in this part of jersey they charge a premium for alcohol.Special Features:
- Consistently Great!HealthymomDined on 7/26/2014This is our favorite restaurant in the area!!! Food is Always outstanding, fresh, with interesting combinations of flavors! Service is top notch! and the sommelier is the best!!! We have never had a bad meal or bad experience at Serenade! Nancy and James Laird are true professionals and you can tell they love their restaurant!!! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionnicesurpriseDined on 7/21/2014We live in Chatham. We went for an anniversary dinner on a Monday night and the ambience, food and service was outstanding. We ran into friends who had just finished their meal and they joined us at our table for drinks. The staff was friendly, flexible and very professional. Looking forward to another evening there. Maybe try a more casual dinner and drinks in the bar. A neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serenade is a winner!NJVADinerDined on 7/21/2014When you look at Serenade's menu, it is comprised of very ordinary items - salmon, swordfish, sea bass, filet minion, etc. So you wonder how any of those could be worth the astronomical prices. But - every bite was delectable. I had a simple dinner of cucumber ceviche (flavored with cumin) with shrimp and vegetable garnishes, filet minion served with a potato pancake and a simple tomato side dish - and it was just wonderful. The yummy desserts also deserve mention.Special Features:
- SerenadeBurnseyDined on 7/18/2014Excellent menu with fresh local ingredients and innovative combinations. One of the best meals I've had in New Jersey or the City. Highly reccomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014This restaurant was recommended to me and I am delighted to now add it to my list of "go to's." The food is delicious and presented beautifully, the wait staff are attentive and anticipate one's needs. I took my daughter and 3 1/2 year old granddaughter for lunch and wondered if they were child friendly but immediately we were asked if we needed a high chair and the maitre d' came to the table and explained that although they did not have a "kid's " menu they can make dishes suitable for children. Amazing! The decor was simple but very attractive, it's BYOB so I will be going back for dinner as the atmosphere was conducive for a quiet dinner for two as well as a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special night outmrcook128Dined on 7/17/2014I took my wife to Serenade for our tenth anniversary. It was a Thursday night, so the dining room was not full. I called ahead to request a bottle of champagne at the table, which was handled by the Maitre D', who gave us just the right amount of time and attention. My wife and I each ordered a fish entree, and shared the gnocchi appetizer. In addition to the champagne, we ordered wines by the glass, which were perfectly paired, with the help of the sommelier. If you go, be sure to leave some room for dessert. We usually share a dessert, but this time we were compelled to each order our own, and were not disappointed. The tab at the end of the night was quite pricey, but for a special event like this, I consider it well worth it.Special Features:
- A NJ Gourmet GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Food is exquisitely prepared with great attention to detail and local, seasonal ingredients. All rooms are light filled and contemporary in decor. Service is professional to the highest degree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix fixeSusanRDined on 7/12/2014We've been to Serenade many times over the years. Food is okay to good, but definitely not as good as it once was. The mandatory prix fixe at dinner is annoying, particularly since the quality of the food does not justify the pricing. In addition to being forced into 3-4 courses, Serenade insists on a credit card # to hold the reservation. Perhaps the restaurant is unaware that even the top NYC restaurants stopped this annoying practice years ago. One last point on Serenade--the interiors which were once nice and well kept are now decidedly unkempt with linoleum that bubbles underfoot, worn carpets, and an overall dinginess. Serenade needs an overhaul--food, menus, interiors, staff.
- Amazing findOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/10/2014I took my husband to Serenade for his birthday (we're both foodies and live in the area.) We each had a tasting a menu with the wine pairing and were extremely impressed and cannot wait to go back. The food is unique and creative, that takes interesting and exciting approaches to tradition French/American cuisine. We are immediately planning another night back there with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerJnRogDined on 7/10/2014Truthfully Serenade is the most romantic restaurant I been to in a long time. The food is exquisite, delicious and beautifully presented. The owner and his wife are lovely and so accommodating. They made our dinner extra special!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caters to EveryoneSweetnessDined on 7/2/2014My husband order a vegetarian dish that wasn't even on the menu and the chefs were able to accommodate him. Everything was fresh, had great flavor and balance and was plated delicately and artfully! The only problem that we had was that everything looked so good and we couldn't decide what to eat! We will dine here again very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DurhamVIPDined on 6/28/2014Very good food. Very expensive. Interesting new "takes" on traditional food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another magical eveningStefanoVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had another fantastic and magical evening of dining at Serenade this past Saturday. Everyone at our table was thrilled with their selections and we just could not resist dessert as well. A consistently great restaurant and StaffSpecial Features:
- rapcaptDined on 6/26/2014Great service, one of the best restaurants I have been to for service.Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerChatham2005Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner here - it was on the early side, 6pm as this was the only reservation we could get 3 weeks in advance for Sat night. We had the price fixe menus - delicious and different. Wine list offered tons of options by the glass (which is how we ordered) and they were all wonderful. Also had a drink at the bar prior to dinner - bit of a tight squeeze but a nice atmosphere. Service was outstanding, as was the food. We noted on the open table reservation it was for an anniversary and dessert was brought w/ candles and happy anniversary on an edible scroll…such a nice touch. We never felt rushed and the portion sized (to me) were perfect - not too big. We left satisfied but not stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ho humparapluierougeDined on 6/20/2014Good food, pretty room, no personality. Waiter could not have been more stiff. Overpriced for what it wasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvementGD0627Dined on 6/19/2014I recently took two friends to lunch at Serenade. The restaurant is lovely and both the hostess and our waiter were extremely friendly and attentive. The food was very tasty as well. Unfortunately, I am rating the restaurant an overall 3 stars because the portions were entirely too small! We all had salads with grilled shrimp or chicken on top. There was less than a handful of lettuce leaves on the plate. None of us are big eaters, but to pay that amount of money and leave a restaurant still hungry is unacceptable. The plates needed more greens and something else substantial on them or at the very least, more protein on top. You can get a good and filling salad at almost any restaurant for lunch, I guess I just expected more at serenade.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable evening.DaveDined on 6/18/2014It would be difficult to find a better place in central Jersey for a special birthday celebration with friends with a variety of food preferences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Survived for a reasonMovingbacktothecityDined on 6/18/2014the original owner(s) flamed out. 20 years later we returned for a special lunch. The experience was perfect. Place: still simply beautiful. staff: more attentive and professional than ever. The food ... Wonderful. This gem lives because they keep paying attention to what is important. If you are a Short Hills, Summit, or Harding Township couple in search of a local, high quality respite ... Pick this place.Special Features: