123 North Jefferson St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sepiachicago.com/
- Phone: 3124411920
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner Sunday 5:00-9:00pm Monday - Thursday: 5:15pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:15pm - 10:30pm Lounge opens daily at 4:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Zimmerman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sepia
Seamlessly melding refined and rustic, vintage and contemporary, Sepia has the feel of an instant classic. The stylish space is warm and inviting, comfortable yet lively. Attention to detail runs throughout Sepia -- both in the room and on the plate -- from the custom Art Nouveau tile floor to the hand-crafted millwork and the vintage stemware. The easy elegance of the room serves as the perfect backdrop for the inventive American cuisine. Chef Andrew Zimmerman's product-driven, seasonal menu showcases the purity and quality of the ingredients, letting both the ingredients and his passion for what he does shine through. Sepia celebrates tradition – with a modern twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sepia reviews from OpenTable diners
230 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (162)special occasion (140)notable wine list (107)romantic (104)neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (39)hot spot (38)great for lunch (27)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Sepia is an outstanding restaurantkayessDined on 3/26/2008Sepia is an outstanding restaurant with excellent food, knowledgeable and friendly waitstaff and a unique wine list. Interesting motif in the decor.Special Features:
- We loved our dinner at Sepia!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2008We loved our dinner at Sepia! We will definitely be back. The food was wonderful! Our server Alics took amazing care of us. Her recommendations were spot on!Special Features:
- Food was good. It was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/24/2008Food was good. It was very unfortunate that the valet left at 10 so that we could not leave our car there while we went to the opera. Given the proximity to the opera, this would be a good place to go. It will not work because of the valet problem.Special Features:
- This was a wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2008This was a wonderful experience! My first time at Sepia was about a month after it opened and the service needed work. This time, however, the service was outstanding. The cocktails are truly to die for, too.Special Features:
- The Easter Brunch was AMAZING......OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/23/2008The Easter Brunch was AMAZING......Outstanding Food and Service. First time at this restaurant, but won't be the last!Special Features:
- Sitting (and all but forgotten)OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008Sitting (and all but forgotten) at a tiny table in the bar at 10:15 p.m., waiting for a 9:45 reservation, I should have realized just how insignificant our little threesome was to Sepia's grand plan. This darling of the critics must have had a rough Saturday night, sending out course after inedible course. By the time the final bill was presented, the manager had removed the Almond Soup, the Flatbread, the Housemade pasta - well, all the food was subtracted from our tab. We did enjoy the watching the beautiful restaurant space from our little perch in the bar (did I mention that our reservation was confirmed no less than four times over the phone?) but after amazing experiences at Avec and Blackbird have nothing good to say of Sepia.
- We had a fantastic waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2008We had a fantastic waiter who was personable, helpful, knowledgeable about the menu (both food & drink), and just really fun. The ambience was great....such a cool design and very comfortable. Loved the personalized service, with the chefs bringing out the food. Really a great experience. Thanks!Special Features:
- One of the best meals we haveMickyDined on 3/21/2008One of the best meals we have had in a long time. Everything was perfectly prepared and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Been a few times, always veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/20/2008Been a few times, always very nice, Art our server was terrific as alwaysSpecial Features:
- Great experience...nicelyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/16/2008Great experience...nicely designed space and use of materials, fun drinks that reminded me of The Violet Hour (Bucktown) and very tasty food!Special Features:
- This was our second time atMattOVIPDined on 3/16/2008This was our second time at Sepia and we were again blown away by the excellent food. The menu is creative without being trite, the presentation simple but elegant and the myriad of different flavors and textures a real delight. Dining with a group of six was no problem and everyone was able to find something they loved. The wild boar chop was a big hit as were the flatbreads and sides (definitely try the potatoes in duck fat and the brussels sprouts).Special Features:
- For a restaurant that aspiresOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/15/2008For a restaurant that aspires to such high levels, the service was well below standard. Our server treated us like an afterthought. We ordered 2 wines, a white for 2 of us and a pinot noir for the other 2. The white came out quickly but we had to wait 20 min for the red. Then he started to pour the pinot in the white wine glasses and seemed put out when I asked for pinot noir glasses. I should not have had to suggest this nor should he have responded as if I was being difficult. We ordered 2 flat breads and one was burnt black - it should not have been brought out. When he came to bring desert menus he literally tossed them on the table, rapidly listed his 2 favorites and then rushed off before we could even ask a question.
- The flatbread was excellent.TravelaholicVIPDined on 3/15/2008The flatbread was excellent. Main courses were good, but nothing special. Decaf coffee was like drinking dirty water. I sent it back once and second cup was only marginally stronger. Cheeses were very good. Other desserts we had not memorable.
- Loved the organic, artisanalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/14/2008Loved the organic, artisanal food--very fresh and creative Wait staff know their wine pairings. Ambiance unique--simple and elegant. Owner needs to advertise lunch as were few patrons---although one WAS Michelle Obama.....Special Features:
- Entrees were strange combinations,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/13/2008Entrees were strange combinations, it felt like the restaurant was reaching too far (e.g. cod with wild boar sausage side). While I think it is important to have sophisticated options, it would be nice to have some more familiar choices. I also thought for the extensive wine list, the appetizer selection could have more variety. Dessert - chocolate ice cream, crepe w/blood oranges was excellent.
- Since moving back to ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/12/2008Since moving back to Chicago from San Francisco 8 months ago, this is the best dinner my husband and I have had. Everything was wonderfully prepared, the best sweetbread preparation I can remember having and the baby octopus was succulent and tender. I will recommend to friends and take out of town guests for dinner. Two gentlemen sat down as we were finishing up and we started talking and recommended everything we had. They took our advice and were just as pleased as we were. It was a great evening.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/10/2008The food and service were great. I'll defenitely return!Special Features:
- We were seated at a very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/10/2008We were seated at a very nice round table that was semi private and lended itself to good conversation. Food was excellent. We all had appitizers, starter course, main course and then dessert.Special Features:
- I have dined at Sepia a fewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/23/2008I have dined at Sepia a few times - For lunch, business dinnner, and dinner with my husband. It fits any occasion. The menu is limited but the food is good and the ambiance is warm, tables tight. The service could use a pep talk on attentiveness, how to explain a dish, and how to be more friendly.Special Features:
- too loud for talking and tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/22/2008too loud for talking and tables really close together.
- I received a gift certificateOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/19/2008I received a gift certificate from my aunt for this restaurant as a birthday gift, and went here for my all-important 40th birthday this February. The service was atrocious - we were all but ignored in favor of large tables of people (most likely because of the odds of a bigger tip). We asked if my choice had nuts in it and were told no. I broke out in hives because there WERE nuts in it. We weren't even comped the food after that! To top the bad night off, when my husband gave me my gift to cheer me up, we pecked and hugged and were told that we would have to leave the restaurant if we didn't stop. It was a two second hug and kiss! We were treated badly and unfairly and anyone who eats here will NOT leave happy.
- My family of four ate breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/13/2008My family of four ate breakfast here on Sunday morning while visiting Chicago for the weekend. Everyone ordered something different so we were able to taste a little of everything. We loved it all and would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Wildly overrated. Staff wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/21/2007Wildly overrated. Staff was brusque and inattentive. Inept server recommended a terrible wine. Food missed the mark- nobody in my party was satisfied with their meal. Restaurant was oppressively loud. Management had glued acoustic foam to the underside of the table- not exactly stylish or elegant. Major let-down, given all the hype this place has gotten. Will not be back.