123 North Jefferson St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sepiachicago.com/
- Phone: 3124411920
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner Sunday 5:00-9:00pm Monday - Thursday: 5:15pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:15pm - 10:30pm Lounge opens daily at 4:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Zimmerman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sepia
Seamlessly melding refined and rustic, vintage and contemporary, Sepia has the feel of an instant classic. The stylish space is warm and inviting, comfortable yet lively. Attention to detail runs throughout Sepia -- both in the room and on the plate -- from the custom Art Nouveau tile floor to the hand-crafted millwork and the vintage stemware. The easy elegance of the room serves as the perfect backdrop for the inventive American cuisine. Chef Andrew Zimmerman's product-driven, seasonal menu showcases the purity and quality of the ingredients, letting both the ingredients and his passion for what he does shine through. Sepia celebrates tradition – with a modern twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sepia reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (157)special occasion (137)romantic (103)notable wine list (103)neighborhood gem (51)hot spot (38)good for groups (36)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Lunch took ForeverFishVIPDined on 5/15/2014I had a pleasant time and this is definitly a hot spot. The mayor was sitting in the corner. It took forever to get our food. We arrived at noon and did not leave until after 2:30. The cookies are amazing!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2014One of the best restaurants that we have ever eaten at. The service staff was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elevated Food, Historic/Urbane RoomChristineFVIPDined on 5/13/2014Sepia absolutely fulfilled every promise - delicious, elevated cuisine very carefully designed and flawlessly executed. More the service was impeccable - friendly, bend over backwards in fact as our waiter went into the street to hail a cab for us at night. And yet very knowledgeable and natural - nothing stilted here. Very unique wines by the glass and our waiter steered us perfectly. Recommend to any food savvy traveler. We've eaten at many top places but your food quality and flavor ranked among the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- almondsandvanillaDined on 5/11/2014We went there on Mother's Day.Though we went there for brunch, the menu was not limited to fritatas and/or scrambled eggs. The pork confit was tender and delicious. It was topped with two poached eggs which still subtly links to the theme brunch. They had a different take on serving the breakfast sausages by pairing it with nachos though they have a different name to it. It made the dish more interesting and different. The steak that my daughter ordered was cooked to perfection and the serving size was meant to be a brunch fare. The array of starters and desserts at the end was pleasing to the eyes and palate. Definitely no ordinary brunch. Looking forward to going back for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful time with my mom. Very respectful of our dietary restrictions. Friendly, attentive staff. Thank you for Making my mom's day special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service everdexterfoodieDined on 5/10/2014We dined here to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary and it was fantastic. Not just the food, but the level of service surpassed anything I've experienced, and we eat out at nice restaurants regularly.Special Features:
- Exactly what we were hoping forulm210Dined on 5/10/2014Ambience, service and food were fitting for a Michelin star restaurant. The only downside was my spouse forgot her reading glasses and I had to read the menu to her. As there is very little room between tables this meant she felt intimidated to ask me to repeat things. It worked out as her order was perfect and we both were extremely happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to pleaseJimFDined on 5/9/2014SEPIA has remained consistent (not an accomplishment to be taken lightly!) and is a delightful spot with very tasty food intelligently priced and enhanced by notably lovely presentation and friendly, conscientious service.Special Features:
- Outdoor DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/8/2014It was a beautiful night in Chicago. So we decided to sit outside for some "sidewalk" dining. Our server's recommendation validated our original intended choices and they were super! Some of the best Artic Char I have ever had! Being outside was pleasant but I believe inside, it was quite noisy.Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre servicezzzzzzzDined on 5/7/2014Food was great, ambiance is wonderful. Drinks were divine. Every course had some issue with service to the right person in my party. For the expense, I should not have to correct service each course. This is a minor complaint, as the actual waitress was wonderful. Other than that, great!Special Features:
- reviewer27VIPDined on 5/6/2014Very good restaurant, though a little bit pricey for what you get.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2014Booked a large table for a dinner with colleagues last minute. Had an excellent experience with great food and great wines. Deserts less impressive. Would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant.sigan99Dined on 5/5/2014superb. simply superb from start to finish. Highlight of five dinners in Chicago. Perfect execution. Creative.Special Features:
- Deserve one star MichelinEthanaelVIPDined on 5/4/2014It is my favorite in town. It is excellent without being pretentious. Most of all, it is a journey to new ingredient combination that will bring you to heaven.Special Features:
- Great ambiencelove2eatVIPDined on 5/3/2014This is a great restaurant for a special occasion with a date or small group of people. I highly recommend saving room for one of their outstanding desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go West Loop restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/30/2014This was my second time here and everytime I have enjoyed it. The ambience is great and the food was excellent. The foie gras was perfect, the bread was delicious and the rack of lamb was perfectSpecial Features:
- Amazing dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014Probably one of the best dinner's I've had in my life. Will be back when I go for vacation in Chicago.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceCaptainAwesomeDined on 4/26/2014It was our anniversary, and from beginning to end we were treated well. Walking in the door we were greeted with high evergy, waitstaff was great, and food was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly exceptionalJamesDined on 4/24/2014I had dinner at Sepia recently, and the food was just outstanding. Each dish was imaginative and prepared with great attention to technical detail. As a result each dish was completely original, and the flavors and textures were exquisite. I've eaten in many fine restaurants, and the food I had at Sepia was as good as I've had anywhere. I loved the atmosphere as well, and the staff is very friendly. I highly recommend Sepia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ate dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014arctic char was cooked really great..............................
- Great spotsetfireDined on 4/23/2014Simple, elegant menu. Wonderful service. Quiet enough to have a lunch meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect serviceJjwwyyyyyVIPDined on 4/22/2014Thanks to Manager Ben Sherman, our evening was perfect! Great, but different food, and incredible service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok, service lackingchicagodiner2014VIPDined on 4/21/2014The food was decent, but did not quite meet the mark for other restaurants in this neighborhood or price point. But beyond food, what made this experience one I would not want to experience again was our waitress. She got three of our orders incorrect and more importantly, ignored us most of the night. She was incredibly absent minded and often would not even say a word as she dropped off our dishes. She provided no explanation or introduction on the dishes, ingredients, preparation etc.. something one would expect when receiving a dish at this type of a restaurant. Further, we had to continue to ask her questions which seemed to be an inconvenience for her. Overall, the experience ruined however good the food may have tasted.Special Features:
- Good for conversationhardtopleaseVIPDined on 4/21/2014Best part of lunch was being able to talk without straining to hear or yelling. The watercress soup was very good and refreshing. The salad was very uninspired--a plate of butter lettuce with a few slices of radish and carrots and a mild dressing I can't remember. The salad was not satisfying and cost more than it should. Service was excellent--attentive without being intrusive. I'd come back for a business lunch but will not order the salad again.Special Features:
- Our first experience at SepiajustOKVIPDined on 4/20/2014We have not yet had the opportunity to experience Sepia for dinner so this brunch experience may not be representative of Sepia's overall performance. Frankly, while the food was quite nice, my evaluation is that it was overpriced for what is served both in quantity as well as quality. Service was actually disappointing. Our server, Ben, was rarely visible or available. I'd ordered a cup of coffee after our initial cocktails. I was never offered a refill and couldn't find anyone on the service staff to ask. Somewhat comically, as our final dishes were being cleared and we'd asked for the bill, a bussing person asked if I wanted more coffee?! We had to wait too long to find our server to even ask for our bill.
- 2014 Easter BrunchChiSophaDined on 4/20/2014Easter brunch at Sepia was perfect. The food was delicious and everything was very fresh. We were able to try multiple small plates and by the end we were full but not overly stuffed. Servers were attentive and friendly. Ambiance was great for a Sunday afternoon. Music selection and volume was just right. I would recommend Sepia. We will definitely be coming back for dinner in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Brunch!VeryPicky12Dined on 4/20/2014Although Sepia only does brunch twice a year, Easter and Mother's Day, they have it down. The food was wonderful and the service was excellent. I like how they have their brunch set up, family style starters with wonderful pastries, blintzes, salmon, salad, yogurt, etc. Then a wonderful assortment of individual entrees to choose from and then back to family style desserts that were amazing. I am not a fan of brunch buffets, but the family style service made you feel as though you had all the buffet options without the actual buffet. If they do something that they don't do often this well, I can only imagine how wonderful what they do all the time is! I will definately be back for dinner.Special Features:
- Easter brunchHappyVIPDined on 4/20/2014Had Easter brunch with family; 4 people. The concept was well executed. We all liked the three courses family style with the main course chosen from several options. Several children outbursts raised the noise level to uncomfortable at times. Coffee was great. The portions were filling but not to excess.Special Features:
- Amazing Easter BrunchMaidelDined on 4/20/2014We really enjoyed everything about this restaurant. I can't think of one thing I didn't love. They even had their adorable coasters for sale. I had to take some home with me. The restaurant evokes a sophisticated feel with a 20's charm. Make sure to check out the exterior wall of the building for an amazing picture in the alleyway.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceAlanTravelsDined on 4/19/2014I booked this restaurant to take my girlfriend for a surprise dinner and we had a really good time. The waiter called Tony introduced us to the starters and main course; especially detail around what the food comprised off, how it was made, etc. He was also very considerate around asking for allergies before taking the order. The food was great, with good quality foie gras, wagyu beef, ox tail and duck (with tea burns) to name a few. The wine was good too; we had a full bodied wine, but retrospectively thinking, we should have gone for a medium or even light bodied wine. I'd highly recommend this place for those visiting Chicago. The price was not bad either for a Michelin star restaurant. Thanks\AlanSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014great quality food!! amazing service too!! just: in the mains, saying there is fresh greens and asparagus and morels...i had maybe 1 asparagus on my plate and 1 morel....not fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014My Wife's birthday, it made her very happy. Parking was very easy, which is great for people from outside the city. It was easy to make a reservation online with confirmation email. Staff was outstanding, very convenient when we can come in early (5-6) with no problem getting seated. Tried the 5-course tasting, which was fantastic, wine pairings were perfect. Only criticisms: steak was a bit salty (and although I loved it my wife was a bit put off that the steak was rare with no warning), foie gras was a bit bland, and dessert was a little generic. That being said I don't know if I've had a better combination of two different cuts of beef and the Scallop dish may have been the best Scallp dish I've ever had. Drinks were awesome too.Special Features:
- A great spotLorcanDined on 4/18/2014The very best restaurants don't need lengthy reviews so I will keep this short...Sepia is a must in terms of dining in Chicago!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- varyRKChicagodinerDined on 4/18/2014While i enjoyed my meal, my guest felt hers was just so so. Food is very gourmet, beautifully presented, but can vary with the change in menus that happens regularly.Special Features:
- Food Great. Service trying to harddinerreview14Dined on 4/18/2014Went to Sepia for a quiet lunch venue with a server and good food. I had the Sepia Burger, which was amazingly tasty. Servers were nice but their serving style meant lots of talking to them rather than the company, which I dislike. I appreciate the value in client interaction but it can easily become very distracting. I would go back for the food definitely, which is also very reasonably priced, but I would prefer if the servers chilled out a little.Special Features:
- Sepia on a Sunday nightMandarine68Dined on 4/13/2014I was really looking forward to this special dinner and I must say I was a bit 'underwhelmed" by Sepia. This restaurant has a lot of hype on the internet so I was surprised to find the food was overpriced for what you got. You have to order the sides separately from the main meal, many of which were priced in the $30-38 range. Really? For that price, I'd expect a few veggies on my plate! The fish was lovely but I was not at all full. The tagliatelle appetizer was flavorful but lacked a bit of salt. There was no salt on the table. The desserts were ok, nothing to write home about and nothing memorable. Maybe it was because we were there on a Sunday night, but I suspect the main chef was not around.Special Features:
- Sepia is an amazing restaurant,IngiDined on 4/12/2014Sepia is an amazing restaurant, and the dinner I had there -- to celebrate my 17th wedding anniversary -- was special. We had the tasting menu, and the food was delicious and visually appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My entire party was disapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/9/2014My entire party was disapointed in the food at Sepia. It just wan't anything beyond fair. Nothing any of us ate rose to the level of noteworthy or a beautiful taste.
- Great Place But Will Leave HungryFredSavageDined on 4/7/2014Great food, service and ambiance, but the portions were tiny.Special Features:
- Will be back again Sepia!San76Dined on 4/5/2014For starters, we ordered foie gras royale & ricotta gnudi. Foie gras was the best I have ever tasted...the touch of sour cherry gelee & the brioche made it excellent! The ricotta gnudi was okayish, nothing strikingly good about it. Entree was wagyu bavette, oxtail, maitake, coffee braised potato & chimichurri. The oxtail was par excellence , it had a wonderful smokey smell to it. The wagyu bavette, or plainly speaking the american kobe steak was juicy and soft and perfectly medium rare! I ordered the lamb rack,which was pretty good too. Dessert was chocolate cake, marshmallow, choc sauce and creme anglaise, which was beautifully presented and it was pretty awesome. It was not too sweet which I liked. We liked Sepia, will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.