123 North Jefferson St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sepiachicago.com/
- Phone: 3124411920
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner Sunday 5:00-9:00pm Monday - Thursday: 5:15pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:15pm - 10:30pm Lounge opens daily at 4:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Zimmerman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sepia
Seamlessly melding refined and rustic, vintage and contemporary, Sepia has the feel of an instant classic. The stylish space is warm and inviting, comfortable yet lively. Attention to detail runs throughout Sepia -- both in the room and on the plate -- from the custom Art Nouveau tile floor to the hand-crafted millwork and the vintage stemware. The easy elegance of the room serves as the perfect backdrop for the inventive American cuisine. Chef Andrew Zimmerman's product-driven, seasonal menu showcases the purity and quality of the ingredients, letting both the ingredients and his passion for what he does shine through. Sepia celebrates tradition – with a modern twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sepia reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (152)special occasion (125)notable wine list (99)romantic (92)neighborhood gem (56)good for groups (41)hot spot (35)great for lunch (24)vibrant bar scene (12)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (8)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ImmaculataDined on 6/29/2014When placing the reservation, we noted that one of our party was celebrating a birthday and the waiter quietly figured out which member of the party and so brought his dessert decorated for the occasion without me having to ask. Also, he was quite knowledgeable when asked about preparations and, most importantly, our selections were just as he described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Dining Experience at SepiaCCL1208Dined on 6/28/2014"I went to Sepia during my first trip to Chicago. This restaurant has a nice atmosphere and the service was excellent. As for the food, I wouldn't say it was terrible, but I wouldn't say it was fantastic either. Given it is a Michelin one star, I guess I expected more. I would just rate this restaurant a bit above average. We ordered teg ricotta cavatelli with bone marrow butter and the foie gras. The cavatelli was a nice dish as sauce goes well with the food. As for the foie gras, there was no taste to it.For the main dish, we ordered the skate wing and seabass and it was fresh. As for the sides, I ordered the duck fat fries and I think you can get that at any other place with the same quality but for a cheaper price."Special Features:
- Great food, service and atmosphereshanghaijbVIPDined on 6/28/2014I went to Sepia with my wife for dinner. The interior is tastefully decorated, and succesfully gives a modern art deco atmosphere. We ordered a la carte. Our starters were more creative than our entrees, especially the foie gras which was delicious. We ordered the bavette and the lamb. They were lacking creativity, but their execution was perfect, especially the lamb which was perfectly cooked. In my opinion, their wine list is definitely one of the highlights. It is sharp, with an amazing selection of famous names and little gems - their Champagne selection is outstanding for this level of restaurant. On the "cons" side, wines are a bit overpriced, and their "by the glass" selection is very limited. All in all we had an excellent dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2087 reviews are from the Sepia reviews archive.
- FantasticBettsyDined on 6/25/2014We dine at Sepia a few times a year, and it's always amazing. Service is excellent, food can't be beat, ambiance is perfect for romance, and the dining room is physically very cool. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and DeliciousLAliceDined on 6/25/2014From the website, I was expecting a different vibe--more hipster, less elegant. However, this is a beautiful, very elegant restaurant with amazing service and great food. The cocktails are unusual and yummy. The smoked duck entree and the chocolate caramel dessert are outstanding. Even the bread is a treat. Finally, it's two blocks from the downtown Metra station, so getting there from the suburbs is super easy.Special Features:
- Civilized lunchDinermeisterVIPDined on 6/25/2014Had a very civilized dining experience for lunch with a friend. Excellent service, and we ate every morsel of our shared appetizer (the charcuterie) and my entree, which was shown to be cod on the menu, had to be substituted with halibut. Oh, poor me! :-) It was delectable.Special Features:
- Drinks don't equal foodJerryVIPDined on 6/24/2014I took three guests to Sepia pre-theater. Three of us ordered straight cocktails. gin martini, a Dewars rocks, and a Kettle One rocks. While the martini was moderate in size, its smallness caught a double take from the recipient. The other two did drinks didn't even fill half of the glass or cover the ice. I wanted to impress my guests, but the inadequacy of the drinks, regardless of cost, created a negative opening vibe. The food was outstanding, as I knew it would be, but I don't see them returning.Special Features:
- Excellent foodPeterVIPDined on 6/22/2014This is the fourth time we dine at Sepia and the food is consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing for foodies!KateDined on 6/18/2014I'd been wanting to try Sepia for a long time and it was worth the wait! Expansive wine selection, creative menu - everything is delicious, top-notch service. The waiters were incredibly helpful in guiding us on menu selections. I tried waygu beef for the first time and it was amazing, I highly recommend it. The dessert I tried was a coconut cake with maple ice cream. I ate every bite. Overall the vibe of the restaurant is speakeasy, ecclectic, fancy. Fit for foodies, a special occassion or for a delicious glass of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!asdfDined on 6/14/2014We love to eat and had a terrific experience at Sepia. The attention to detail in every item and every course was exceptional. I had scallops as an entre which were an appetizer that night, she offered to be flexible and give me as many as I wanted. Wonderful!!! Beautifully prepared. Husband had lamb, also great! Would highly recommend this restaurant. Big surprise the price was very reasonable for this level of dining. Only minus, bartender! Very unfriendly, she must have been having a bad night.Special Features:
- good but i expected morerobertoDined on 6/13/2014good place, the staff is wonderfull, but my dish was cold, i had to give it back. they fastly did it again in a nice temperature. in this second time, the meat was so tender..huummmm delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Understaffed?arjayDined on 6/13/2014The food was great, and the table server was fantastic. But the hostesses were inattentive, or inexperienced. Either that, or the place was understaffed. We arrived 20 minutes early for our 7:30 reservation for 2. After 55 minutes when I politely inquired about our table, the hostess said "I suppose I can seat you now" and acted like she was doing me a favor. When we entered the seating area, the place was at least 1/3 empty tables.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was great all aroundbde61Dined on 6/12/2014My husband and I visited Sepia for our anniversary. We truly enjoyed our experience. The food was great: strawberry gazpacho, ricotta cavatelli as appetizers, then two fish, sea bass and arctic char. Desserts also outstanding, oatmeal cake and a chocolate tart. The waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly, but very professional at the same time. He recommended a wine we were not familiar with (Greco) which was excellent. An additional plus: Sepia is two blocks from the Clinton Green line stop, which made it for a more relaxed experience -- no worries about parking, designated driver etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pay AttentionAttentionDined on 6/12/2014I met a client at this restaurant and for lack of a better word, the service was "absent". I waited for 5 minutes (no one else in line) for a hostess to greet me. (It never happened). As it turns out, I looked around the corner and saw my client who had already been seated. Our server said that he would give us a few minutes and never returned. After waiting 25 minutes, the manager (or who I believed was the manager) took our orders. Perhaps Sepia is not an idea restaurant when time is of the essence.Special Features:
- wonderful findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/11/2014relaxed and elegant mood for fabulous dining with mellowly creative dishes of excellence, and considerately priced range of well-chosen wines to accompanySpecial Features:
- Amazing!LRO1Dined on 6/10/2014Absolutely incredible food, service, and atmosphere. Very knowledgable waiter, who recommended our entire meal for use done to the wine. Every course was fantastic! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedinspiredfoodyDined on 6/10/2014Food is seasonal and exceptional with reasonable portions. 5-star quality & variety. Wine list is extensive. Great business gathering up to 8 people. "Couples night out" would be better for four or more since it can get quite noisy though not loud. What truly elevates Sepia from other restaurants of this caliber is the service. Team servers and we'll informed wait staff that are attentive helpful and not intrusive. Sepia is a complete pleasure from beginning to end and every time you frequent. Enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNateVIPDined on 6/9/2014While visiting the city we found out about this place & secured a spot for dinner. Great service, great wine, and great food. A bit pricey, but highest quality all around. Do yourself a favor and check this out!Special Features:
- Excellent food, and great service!LovetoeatDined on 6/7/2014If you are planning a trip to Chicago, eat here! Experience is well worth the price!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the style/food/servicePattersVIPDined on 6/6/2014This was our first time dining at Sepia. We walked from Olgilvie Station which was very convenient. The cocktail menu was impressive. I enjoyed both the Cat's Pajamas and the Pisco Sour. Our server was very attentive to the fact that we were dining with another couple whom we hadn't seen in a while and she allowed us to talk and catch up without rushing our dinner. The portions of the food were on the small side but the quality and the flavors were top notch. We will be back.Special Features:
- Sepia might be pars it's primeLemonDined on 6/6/2014Sepia came highly recommended from a former West loop foodie. We were in Chicago from San Francisco to dine, shop, visit museums and galleries and catch the live entertainment. The food was good but not spectacular. The decor is showing a little wear though still nice. Our server was efficient but can't say much more. The wine list needs improvement.Special Features:
- Nice bistro foodgastronaut25VIPDined on 6/1/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Sepia. It has very tasty bistro style food. My duck entree was very good, my foie gras appetizer did not taste like foie gras. It seem like they were a bit spartan with the foie gras in the spread and I did not like the "rusk-style" toasts they served with. Overall it was a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Year AnniversaryakalausichDined on 5/31/2014Sepia always succeeds my expectations . I truly regard it as one of Chicago's best restaurants. Granted, this most recent attendance held some curve balls in the length we waited after our reservation, but nonetheless the food and service made us completely forget it ever happened. Whether you're taking a beloved out , business dinner, or simply trying somewhere new I have no hesitation in saying Sepia will meet and surpass your needs.Special Features:
- So-soTaliaDined on 5/24/2014Food was alright. Couldn't hear any of the serves. I swear they whispered just to screw with us. Didn't have Riesling by the glass?! Was disappointed about drink selection, at the bar spent $50 on 2 beers and a glass of sparkling sweeter wine like a reisling.Special Features:
- Very good experienceJmacDined on 5/24/2014Took my wife here for our 25th anniversary. Staff was great, our server was very helpful and made some excellent wine recommendations (list is a bit overwhelming) that paired beautifully with our dishes. Shared the burrata starter which was really good. I had the risotto which was incredible, wife had the skate wing which was good but just "ok". We had a cheese plate for dessert which came out with a nice anniversary wish written in chocolate. Nice touch. I would go here again to see how the menu changes with the seasons.Special Features:
- runtoeatDined on 5/24/2014For a Michelin rated restaurant, this was a great value for the food. Although the roasted heirloom carrots with ground coffee beans was just a side, I loved the surprising combination of flavors and couldn't get enough of it! The wine list was extensive and our waiter helped us select a new favorite of mine. Overall, I'm a big fan of the food! Unfortunately, I felt like the seating was a bit crowded and the noise level was quite loud. The waiter could barely hear me when I ordered. When our food came out, I had a difficult time hearing what they said and they seemed very unenthusiastic. At nicer restaurants, I normally experience a presentation and I can tell the servers are very passionate about the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Both loved our entrees, lamb and fish. Well presented. Husband's salad was elegant. Watercress soup was very mild flavored, good but not great. Chocolate cake for dessert was average after it was much anticipated. Other desserts served around us looked better.Special Features:
- Great but not accomdatingsummahouzDined on 5/22/2014The food was good, the ambience was beautiful but my is lactose intolerant and I found them very unwilling to change anything on the menu so that he could eat it, therefore the menu was very limiting. Would go back again but was turned off by this. I didn't mind waiting but don't go here if you are in a rush.Special Features:
- Delicious but sparseChicGourmetVIPDined on 5/22/2014Sepia's cooking is quite good and sometimes even scrumptious. But having dined at Sepia before, we were taken aback by the very small entree portions. My companion commented about the risotto following an appetizer and joined by a vegetable side dish, "Delicious but I'm hungry. Twice as much would have been perfect." And that does not come from a big eater! My wagyu steak was a tiny portion for a lot of money; granted, it was accompanied by a wonderful albeit very small portion of tender oxtail. Sepia's rolls were warm and good; the salad with asparagus and goat cheese did have some small amount of each. I had to send back the wagyu to get it properly cooked and even then it was not. It's a good place but my companion won't return; I may.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Excellent food - this wonderful restaurant did not disappoint. Every course was beyond are expectations. The service was outstanding and the atmosphere was relaxed despite being fully booked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome Chicago dining experience!lschultz83VIPDined on 5/17/2014We visited Chicago for the first time this past weekend, and were SO happy to have picked Sepia as our one fine-dining experience of the trip. Service was perfection, everything that was brought to the table was cooked and seasoned perfectly, and we enjoyed every minute of our night out. While I loved everything I tried that night, I would say my favorite bite was of the charcuterie starter. I would go back just for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy charOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/16/2014Our server Tony was just great, very professional and had great recommendations. The char was some of the best fish I have ever eaten! The seating is a bit cramped, the chandeliers were too low, as you could almost hit your head when you stand and the chairs were very uncomfortable and should be up dated and more comfortable ones should replace tired wicker type ones they currently have.Special Features:
- Lunch took ForeverFishVIPDined on 5/15/2014I had a pleasant time and this is definitly a hot spot. The mayor was sitting in the corner. It took forever to get our food. We arrived at noon and did not leave until after 2:30. The cookies are amazing!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2014One of the best restaurants that we have ever eaten at. The service staff was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elevated Food, Historic/Urbane RoomChristineFVIPDined on 5/13/2014Sepia absolutely fulfilled every promise - delicious, elevated cuisine very carefully designed and flawlessly executed. More the service was impeccable - friendly, bend over backwards in fact as our waiter went into the street to hail a cab for us at night. And yet very knowledgeable and natural - nothing stilted here. Very unique wines by the glass and our waiter steered us perfectly. Recommend to any food savvy traveler. We've eaten at many top places but your food quality and flavor ranked among the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- almondsandvanillaDined on 5/11/2014We went there on Mother's Day.Though we went there for brunch, the menu was not limited to fritatas and/or scrambled eggs. The pork confit was tender and delicious. It was topped with two poached eggs which still subtly links to the theme brunch. They had a different take on serving the breakfast sausages by pairing it with nachos though they have a different name to it. It made the dish more interesting and different. The steak that my daughter ordered was cooked to perfection and the serving size was meant to be a brunch fare. The array of starters and desserts at the end was pleasing to the eyes and palate. Definitely no ordinary brunch. Looking forward to going back for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful time with my mom. Very respectful of our dietary restrictions. Friendly, attentive staff. Thank you for Making my mom's day special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service everdexterfoodieDined on 5/10/2014We dined here to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary and it was fantastic. Not just the food, but the level of service surpassed anything I've experienced, and we eat out at nice restaurants regularly.Special Features:
- Exactly what we were hoping forulm210Dined on 5/10/2014Ambience, service and food were fitting for a Michelin star restaurant. The only downside was my spouse forgot her reading glasses and I had to read the menu to her. As there is very little room between tables this meant she felt intimidated to ask me to repeat things. It worked out as her order was perfect and we both were extremely happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to pleaseJimFDined on 5/9/2014SEPIA has remained consistent (not an accomplishment to be taken lightly!) and is a delightful spot with very tasty food intelligently priced and enhanced by notably lovely presentation and friendly, conscientious service.Special Features: