123 North Jefferson St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sepiachicago.com/
- Phone: 3124411920
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner Sunday 5:00-9:00pm Monday - Thursday: 5:15pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:15pm - 10:30pm Lounge opens daily at 4:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Zimmerman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sepia
Seamlessly melding refined and rustic, vintage and contemporary, Sepia has the feel of an instant classic. The stylish space is warm and inviting, comfortable yet lively. Attention to detail runs throughout Sepia -- both in the room and on the plate -- from the custom Art Nouveau tile floor to the hand-crafted millwork and the vintage stemware. The easy elegance of the room serves as the perfect backdrop for the inventive American cuisine. Chef Andrew Zimmerman's product-driven, seasonal menu showcases the purity and quality of the ingredients, letting both the ingredients and his passion for what he does shine through. Sepia celebrates tradition – with a modern twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sepia reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (158)special occasion (128)notable wine list (102)romantic (95)neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (44)hot spot (37)great for lunch (27)vibrant bar scene (14)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Definitely a keeper!SophieHVIPDined on 10/17/2014We arrived early and sat at the bar and enjoyed a bottle of bubbles. The interior is very cool - color scheme reminded me of an old sepia photograph. Dinner was quite lovely wth foie gras with toasted brioche and then a roasted beet salad. For main courses we split the duck breast and the pork collar - both were delicious. Now keep in mind - the collar is a little bit on the fatty side but is delicious. For dessert we split a wonderful tart. Wine list is good - a bit light on the American pinot side so we brought a bottle from our cellar. $25 corkage and one is allowed. Our server April was amazing! She was attentive without being overbearing - just perfect!! Will go back again and will definitely recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great palad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Went in for my anivesary, great ambiance for a quiet romantic night, food taste great, although some to small entrees, the mix of so many flavors in it were splendid. their home made chees selection with caramelized nuts was really good. For main course ny strp steak, very good rare cooked point, soft as butter meat, the only detail it came a litle bit on the cold side, and the butcher left two strips of nerves in the meat cut that made it a litle unpleasant. Service was above excelente. We enjoyed our dinning experience and would recomend it.Special Features:
- Loved it!RichoDined on 10/12/2014Arrived a bit early but the staff accommodated us happily. Enjoyed the food and service and will go again when the opportunity presents. Only negative for the night was a very loud and vulgar patron but the staff eventually had him tone it down.I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothappycamperDined on 10/12/2014I took a date and they sat us down right next to another couple, no privacy or intimacy. Lots of noise and too much lighting.Special Features:
- Disappointing Staff ResponsivenessKPLNeighborVIPDined on 10/12/2014Our meal was gently innovative and our server was kind. However, when we expressed concern that our shrimp had "turned" (it had an ammonia flavor), after 2 queries, our server explained that their chef assessed the flavor we sensed as shrimp that was unusually "sweet." That seems a disappointing conclusion noting that no efforts to correct the dish or offer of apology was made. So, this restaurant has potential, but we hope for greater culinary honesty.
- KaperDined on 10/10/2014Beautiful ambiance and a nice feel to it. Not too noisy. It works well as a date spot so that you can talk. Overall it was a good experience. But for the price, I expect awesome. I ordered savignon blanc by the glass. $20 per glass, and a super small pour. The pork collar was creative and had great flavors, but I expected a juicier meat. It resembled a pork chop. The redfish was nice, but not as phenomenal as suggested. The foie gras was amazing. Sweet potato tortellini was also amazing. But the two main courses were not awesome. Our bill was $270. Once you add tip, we were at $320 for a meal that we did not think was amazing. Tangee our waitress was very nice and did a great job.Special Features:
- Great dining just off RandolphTravel2EatVIPDined on 10/8/2014I've been here twice for lunch now and both times it was very good. I need to try it for dinner too! My guest had the lamb burger and it was out of this world. I had the "box lunch" and it was also good. Not a lot of food, but you get to try a variety in three small courses . Regular sandwiches and entrees are more than enough!!Special Features:
- Great Food, Terrible ServiceKT6884Dined on 10/6/2014My wife and I dined here for our 2nd anniversary. The food was excellent and I do not want to detract from the talent of the kitchen. The squid ink garganelli & berkshire pork collar were outstanding. The service, however, was the worst I've ever experienced at a restaurant of this supposed caliber. Being a Monday evening, it was certainly not peak capacity, and it took 15 minutes for the waitress to arrive. My wife's carrot bisque arrived, sans-spoon, so we waited another 5-10 minutes until I flagged down the sommelier. Finishing our entrees, we waited 40+ minutes for anyone to even acknowledge us. Obviously not getting desert/aperitifs at this point, I embarrassingly had to walk around the restaurant until I could find our waitress.Special Features:
- SepiaLuv2dine79Dined on 10/5/2014Sepia is a definite must try in Chicago. We began our dining experience with unique cocktails from the bar. Our appetizers were all amazing. I highly recommend the cheese and charcuterie plates! Everyone's entree was just as remarkable as our first course and the server was extremely knowledgable about wine pairings to work with each dish. Quiet and cozy ambiance makes this a perfect spot for a small group or romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining DefinedFineDiningDefinedVIPDined on 10/5/2014Sepia offers exquisite food in a coversation friendly atmosphere. We enjoy sampling a variety of a chef's creeations and appreciae having dishes split in the kitchen and served one by one so that we can enjoy at least three courses before dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food I've Had In Chicago YetiEatfoodDined on 10/4/2014Carrot Bisque was phenomenal. Both the Duck and Pork Collar entrees were amazing as well. Highly recommend, very cool place to eat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was very good -overall experience disappointing. I confirmed with the restaurant on 2 separate occasions that they knew it was my boyfriend's birthday. The waiter handed the check at the end of the night to him and I reached for it and said -it is his birthday -Waiter -I wish I knew - that was it! So disappointing -I would not expect this from this level of restaurant Our table was squeezed in the middle of the room and we were hit by waiters trying to weave in and out of tables all night long -remove some of the tables and let your guest enjoy their expensive foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerRunner131Dined on 10/1/2014Excellent, seasonal menu. Attentive and helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Chicago!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2014Andrew Zimmerman and his team NEVER disappoint!! He is a master of creating dishes that build off a comfort taste element then elevate it with something(s) new. This way the semi-adventurous diner as myself can take giant steps into an absolutely delectable food experience every time! And I'm not just saying this...when I lived in Chicago a couple years back, Sepia was at least a bi-monthly splurge for me. Love, love, love Sepia!!! And every time I visit Chicago, I have to include it in my itinerary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSarcDined on 9/27/2014Our evening at Sepia was a fantastic experience. Ben, our waiter, was the best. It was a little dark but the room was away from the rest of the restaurant so our group didn't have to worry about being too loud. Everyone loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKamacbVIPDined on 9/27/2014Went before Opera with a friend. Seated quickly and service was attentive. We shared a beet appetizer, which between both plates was probably a total of one small beet. Tasty, but not special. At the recommendation of the waiter had the smoked trout. Also, fine, but not special. We shared the cauliflower side - with capers, mint & lemon, and that was very good. Overall it was fine. Would not rush back or recommend as anything special.Special Features:
- noneVIPDined on 9/26/2014We sat outside, which made the noise level moderate. Much noisier inside. The food is always good, but this night it was exceptional.
- Outstanding food and service!TklugDined on 9/26/2014Loved this place! Duck liver mousse on the charcuterie plate was heavenly. Server was incredibly knowledgeable about the wine list. You MUST get the pork collar. It melts in your mouth with great flavor. Ambiance is industrial yet warm. Definitely try Sepia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Choice Every Time.DianaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Whether we take clients or go for family celebrations the food and service is always the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The food, the service, the upscale but friendly atmosphere - everything was perfect. We changed our reservation to add more people at the last minute, then showed up late - with a baby in tow (virtually everything ordained to drive a server crazy) and still encountered spectacular service. The food was divine - the wine list overwhelmingly huge (but manageable with some excellent recommendations) - and we had just a beautiful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticgeezyDined on 9/22/2014Took my girlfriend there for a special occassion, and the overall experience was wonderful. We received excellent service from the waitstaff and we really enjoyed all of the food. They made our experience special, and this is definitely a place we will be going back to in the future. The ambience was excellent. I had never heard of this place before, so I'm not sure about its visibility amongst Chicagoans, but it definitely should be on people's radar.Special Features:
- Rustic classLegalFoodieDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and it was our first time visiting the restaurant. We were really blown away by the food, wine, service and atmosphere of the place (aside from the group of six behind us who brought their toddler). Although the decor is somewhat rustic like an old printing factory, the food is very refined, yet sourced locally, and the wine list is like an old telephone book. This place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014Have not dined here for a few years. Why, I don't know. The artistry of the appetizer and dessert out shadowed the entree but still a fine experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedChampignonsDined on 9/20/2014The food was decent enough -- although the fois gras was disappointing -- but just not worth the price.Special Features:
- Service Should Have Been More "On"ziniDined on 9/19/2014Our service at the beginning of our meal was very good and then we fell off the face of earth. Had to wait and wait for check, which really irks me because at the end of a meal you want to be able to make a decently quick exit. Instead we sat, got tired, felt ignored while the server saw to everyone around us and whipped by. Not cool after dropping $200 for two of us and it was our anniversary to boot (which they knew). Also, avoid the chicken special, super dry, over fried and just a little odd. disappointing and it was a server-recommended dish.Special Features:
- Food a sad disappointmentNaplesNativeVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was awful. We asked for menu recommendations & ordered the 2 entrees our waiter liked best. My shrimp pasta dish almost made me gag when it was placed in front of me - the cornmeal pasta was a dark, unappetizing gray color, shaped exactly like leaches - the texture was gummy, the broth was was a flavorless, murky, mess. The other entree was a chicken dish served two ways - one piece of chicken was undercooked with rubbery, fatty/greasy undercooked skin clinging to it & the other piece was overcooked, like a dry Tyson's chicken filet. No one checked on us while we were dining, our full plates were removed by the busboy without comment. We dined at 6 Michelin starred restaurants during our visit - all were excellent except this one.
- Special Birthday DinnerNewbieFoodieDined on 9/18/2014A friend raved about her experience so we decided to go again for my birthday. The ambiance is lovely and the service was great! I had a couple of the staples which while very good...Im not rushing back soon to have. All in all a great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to it's ratingsMaidmarrynDined on 9/18/2014Presentation was great, food for the most part was exceptional. Out of the four of us who dined together, three were different entrees and all were superb; from the chicken and smoked trout to the smoked tea leaf duck, we were all extremely happy with the both the flavor of the food and how it was plated. Mixed crowd which was actually quite nice to see. Atmosphere is dark but pleasant and noise level very conducive to dining. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- OutstandingStevePDined on 9/16/2014I took my wife and daughter to Sepia for lunch. The food and service were absolutely outstanding. The meals came to the table hot and were made to perfection. Wonderful atmosphere and an A+ meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Mealaustinknight01Dined on 9/14/2014The place was empty on a Sunday evening, but that just meant we could linger longer over our wonderful meal and chat with the knowledgeable server while sampling wine. The fresh seasonal fruit and the tea-smoked duck were definite stand outs. Service was friendly and attentive but still allowed us to have a long conversation with minimal interruptions. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- CharlieVIPDined on 9/14/2014I am surprised it wasn't busier on the Sunday night we went, but everything was flawless. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Sleek SepiacjcassDined on 9/13/2014Always enjoy Sepia, great food in a sexy space.. Top notch service, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great service.irish1Dined on 9/12/2014I took a client to a Friday lunch. Our meals were unique but tasty. Mayor Emanuel arrived just before us. This is a trendy, fun restaurant. I highly recommend Sepia for client entertainment and/or special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodWayneDined on 9/11/2014Sepia is a restaurant with a great menu and the food backs it up. A lovely setting matches the superb food that they offer.Special Features:
- Chicago Dining DestinationOldtimer8Dined on 9/9/2014Certainly one of the top dining destinations in Chicago, Sepia maintains high quality of cuisine and service at a price a bit below other restaurants of equal quality, while maintaining a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The menu is limited to about 10 or fewer choices for both appetizers and entrees, but there is sufficient variety and originality to make choices difficult. The wine list is both broad and adventurous, with enough quality choices in the $40-$50 range to appeal to a broader audience.Special Features:
- Special NightBirdi2Dined on 9/6/2014We choose this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary because my son had gone there and said it was amazing. He was right, the food was spectacular, with a great presentation, and very unique menu. Peach Gazpacho was incredible, and my husband had a pork collar that he could not get enough of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vintage Vibe and Amazing FoodfoodiewannabeDined on 9/5/2014The dining experience at Sepia is top-notch. The ambiance is very classy with a vintage vibe. The food was superb and clearly deserving of its Michelin Star! The tea smoked duck and the smoked rainbow trout were out of this world. And how could i forget to mention the duck fat fried potatoes?! Delicious. It was the best meal we've had all year. They also have an interesting selection of libations and an extensive wine list (by the glass and by the bottle). The day after the dining visit, I received a call from Sepia thanking me for dining with them and ensuring that I had a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/4/2014Remember every visits at Sepia. If you get a close friend wants to find some cool or private place for special taste experience, I believe Sepia is a good choice. The entree here is not too large but decorative, with their cocktails. Cannot request more.Special Features:
- Great foodMAMADined on 8/30/2014Nice and friendly waiters. Great bar selection and cocktails. Service is nice and servers are friendly and very knowledgeable. Food took a little while to arrive, but the quality was as if every dish was hand-made by Chef Zimmerman himself.Special Features:
- Terribly Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/201430 minute post reservation before actual seating. 1.5 hour wait for entree. Drink orders from bar in excess of 20 minute wait. When asked, server blamed it on the "10:30 dinner rush" - never in my life have I heard of such a thing, nor did the relatively empty dining room validate that excuse. Food was good, but absolutely not worth that kind of wait - I will never go back and caution you to spend your dollars elsewhere.