123 North Jefferson St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sepiachicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 441-1920
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner Sunday 5:00-9:00pm Monday - Thursday: 5:15pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:15pm - 10:30pm Lounge opens daily at 4:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Zimmerman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sepia
Seamlessly melding refined and rustic, vintage and contemporary, Sepia has the feel of an instant classic. The stylish space is warm and inviting, comfortable yet lively. Attention to detail runs throughout Sepia -- both in the room and on the plate -- from the custom Art Nouveau tile floor to the hand-crafted millwork and the vintage stemware. The easy elegance of the room serves as the perfect backdrop for the inventive American cuisine. Chef Andrew Zimmerman's product-driven, seasonal menu showcases the purity and quality of the ingredients, letting both the ingredients and his passion for what he does shine through. Sepia celebrates tradition – with a modern twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sepia reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (167)special occasion (139)notable wine list (110)romantic (106)neighborhood gem (70)good for groups (51)hot spot (44)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great for a special occasion or nice dinner out!DianaMDined on 11/22/2014The atmosphere, food and service are all great! The menu isn't very large, but everything we tried was awesome. The drink menu is huge, especially wines by the bottle. Definitely a great place for a special occasion or nice dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Me and my girlfriend were looking for a restaurant that provided a romantic feel and of course excellent food. Sepia went above and beyond our expectations. The scenery was outstanding and the service was amazing. Our waiter's name was Benjamin and he was very knowledgeable and had a great passion for his job. Me and my girlfriend were overwhelmed with the professionalism. The food was phenomenal, every bite was mouthwatering. I would highly recommend my friends and family to dine at Sepia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningJgardzieDined on 11/22/2014The ambiance was fabulous. Chic bar to start with a cocktail and then off to a quiet enjoyable dining room. The food and service were as I expected, excellent. I had the duck breast and was my favorite of the three entree's we had at the table. I would definitely recommend to locals and visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2014One of the finest meals we've ever had. Everything was on point, from the amazing food to the impeccable service. The wine list looks like a coffee table book but the servers are knowledgeable and are happy to navigate you through this encyclopedic wine list. The service is attentive and well managed. No one ever saw the bottom of a water or wine glass. The food was excellently prepared, beautifully presented, creative and above all, delicious! Sepia gets everything right and pays attention to all of the details, which makes for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoemiMVIPDined on 11/21/2014Outstanding menu, and great food, You will not be disappointed. Wine list was equally impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Special Occasion DinnerdocbartDined on 11/20/2014Every aspect of this restaurant is elegant and simple: the relatively small space with carefully chosen antique yet modern decor (lot of rustic wood, brick, an old industrial feel), the front "saloon" bar with cozy seating, the happy and eager service. It's such a relief to come to a place where you are welcome and not putting a burden on the staff, they are well focused on making your experience enjoyable. Dressy/casual waitstaff are very knowledgable and helpful, and the timing of the service and food rollout was perfect, including a pre-warning to order the pumpkin cake dessert mid-meal since it takes 20 minutes to prepare. The food was rich, flavorful, and deceptively simple appearing; enjoyed the carrot bisque (sage, cashew, parsley root, madras curry); selection of house-made charcuterie (pickles, mustard, toast); duck breast (pumpkin, fig molasses, fennel, sunflower seeds--nice layer of fat for flavor and a toasted taste, medium well); side of duck fat fried potatoes--not greasy like I expected); and warm pumpkin cake (caramel center, pumpkin seed crumble, sage ice cream), with a couple beautiful cocktails. A very nice birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the Fried Chicken BoxNiniDined on 11/17/2014It was lots of iceberg lettuce with edges of a chicken tender. so a salad with a salad not fried chicken. Overpriced with very lil portion that wasn't fascinating. No flavor. blunt. Only thing good was Service
- Good food not worth the terrible serviceLADinerVIPDined on 11/16/2014Disorganized and inattentive service made the good food not worth the looooong waits. We were finally seated 30 minutes past our reservation time while staring at empty tables. It took nearly 2 hours to be served 2 courses. Would have liked to have dessert, but we were so fed up with the wait, we left without it. Chicago is a city of great restaurants with great service; go elsewhere.
- PerfectSFLegisDined on 11/15/2014I requested a quiet table for 3 couples. We were seated in a lovely area under a dramatic basket chandelier where we were able to converse easily. Everyone raved about the food. Most of the others ordered fish, I ordered a foie gras appetizer, collard greens and bronzed cauliflower. I shared the greens and cauliflower, which everyone enjoyed. My foie gras was accompanied by a fruity jam/jelly and brioche toasts. Sublime!! The next day my friends were still talking about how great the meal and evening were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wines, seasoned service but no rush returnmisszeeDined on 11/13/2014great venue, and décor. very mad men! wine list is excellent. food was 'expensive frou frou'. I'm ok with that if innovative and served hot and with great flavor. Bread was great. Appetizers were also good, but very small. Three of us shared beet salad, and sweet potato dumplings / pasta. Presentation was very pretty! Entrée selection was limited, flavors bland, served room temperature and portion size strangely large. We had duck, chicken and fish. No one raved about their entrées, and everyone left food on their plate. dessert was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/12/2014I hadn't been here since it first opened, so was delighted by the outstanding meal we had. The room is well designed, and comfortable, however the lighting seemed a bit too bright for the mood. Our dinner was amazing, from the start of the bread course through the remarkable dessert. Nice touches like an amuse-bouche and tiny cookies to end the meal made the evening more special. Service was well timed. I would highly recommend this for a celebratory night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlashDined on 11/8/2014Fantastic and innovative menu, and amazing service together created a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodRichVIPDined on 11/8/2014Sepia never disappoints. We had the five-course tasting menu, with the wine pairings. The courses ranged from merely delicious to truly inspired. The service was highly professional and the courses were well timed. At the end of the tasting menu, we were each given a menu card: I intend to hunt down that Madeira that was served with the dessert course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great servicegIRLDined on 11/8/2014Great food and great service. I liked their cocktails selection as well the wine list. I had made the reservation for a birthday dinner and the restaurant accomadated our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablealwayshungryVIPDined on 11/8/2014A good early dinner on a Saturday evening. I found the experience a bit pretentious, the food and the service, but overall we enjoyed our supper. I ordered the beet salad for an appetizer, which would have been very pleasant except that it was served on a large plate and just took up a small portion of that plate. A strange presentation. We were asked too many times by too many people if we liked the food. But everyone was nice and helpful, just a little off. Our entrees were very good. I would give it another try. I found the room quite attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatVinoFonsecaDined on 11/8/2014We were in town for a few days and dined at several restaurants. If we hadn't, I would have rated Sepia higher but in comparison to the other restaurants we visited, Sepia fails to distinguish itself. Service is excellent. The Berkshire pork was excellent. The arctic char and duck were just ok. The duck fat potatoes were just ok - had these at another restaurant and they were to die for. So hard memory to live up to here. The cauliflower was good but for a veggie that is promoted as 'to share,' there's not a lot there for $8. Enjoyed the stickies from Uruguay and Greece but the port list is undistinguished. The oatmeal dessert was the better of 3 and the banana fritters were great though the accompanying pudding not so much.Special Features:
- Lovely evening outUrbanfoodieVIPDined on 11/7/2014Took some friends from out of town here this weekend. Wonderful ambiance and excellent service. An extensive wine list and excellent sommelier recommendation. Everything we ordered was quite good though the chicken was nothing special. Will definitely be back with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun family dinnerfiftyishfoodieDined on 11/7/2014Our party of 7 was given an excellent table in a secluded part of the restaurant where we were able to enjoy our conversation and our meal. Our wait staff was friendly and well informed and timed the meal nicely. The cheese and charcuterie had a good variety, the cocktails were interesting and tasty, and the the entrees were a perfect size. The duck was excellent, the fish well prepared and the steak was perfect. We shared some desserts and went home comfortable. Our waiter's suggestion for a wine that would work with our varied choices was spot on. We will definitely be back. Again, having a table for our group where we could easily converse while we enjoyed our meal was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Nice ambiance, great staff. expensive and disappointing to spend $284 for 4 peope and have to totally compromise on finding an entree to your liking. Did not enjoy the meal, at all. I had the trout. Will not return.
- Not the time warp I was expectingDesertfoxDined on 11/1/2014The ambience of was very nice but I wasn't taken back to the 1920s. The staff was nice especially the person confirming my reservation. The food was excellent !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnexpectedJCBLDined on 11/1/2014We've lived in a suburb for forty-one years ad ad never been to Sepia in its seven year existence. We eat out often and somehow missed this compact, welcoming efficient and interesting place. Our misfortune. Goingtoa show, we ate early. As patronage increased so did the noise level but not to unacceptable levels. Special was the service which was exceptional from "Ben" to the wonderful fellow filling the water glasses, all could not have been nicer. Thanks for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/31/2014Celebrated my birthday. Love this place. Perfect cocktails,food and service. Classy not stuffy.Special Features:
- Great Surprisedowntown11Dined on 10/29/2014I have walked by Sepia a few times and finally decided to try it out. I was very pleasantly surprised. From the front of the restaurant it was hard to see the charm of the place. I tried the Duck and it was cooked perfectly. The service was also great. I had ordered a bottle of wine and I did not have to ever pour any of it in my glass.Special Features:
- Good food and service, + atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/29/2014The food, service, and ambiance are always solid here. My only recommendation is healthier lunch options. The only side offered on the menu was duck fat fries. Fortunately the chef made me brussel sprouts, but that shouldn't have to be a special request, especially during lunch when business persons don't want a heavy lunch on their stomachs.Special Features:
- A sentimental favoriteEatHereDined on 10/27/2014Still a great restaurant and although expensive it's not the top of the top--by comparison it almost seems reasonable. The service was very good, excellent even until the end of the meal when suddenly I felt rushed. Overall though a very professional staff and a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- GoodMQMQDined on 10/27/2014It's good. Duck breast is cooked to the perfect medium. But I don't like pork collar, which my friend ordered. Too dry. Bread and butter is great. But not a big fan of the starter, side (fried potato), or dessert (pear coconut crisp - too sweet for me, but it's ny friend's favorite). Considering the price, I won't go back very often. Black bird is slightly more expensive but the food is better. Ambience and service are all perfect. We ended up spending 3 hours there though it was supposed to be a casual dinner. But that's not an important consideration for this dinner as it's not a special occasion. It could be a good destination for a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around greatmeandfoodDined on 10/26/2014Over the last few years this has become our go-to Chicago restaurant for any special event. The food is imaginative and well-prepared; the service is pleasant and friendly; the prices, while not cheap, are not exorbitant. We had a wonderful charcuterie and sweet potato pasta for appetizers, then super-tender duck and redfish for entrees. All were excellent and of adequate size--no tiny servings, these. We finished with a cheese course and decided to bypass dessert, though no doubt that would have been excellent as well. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- great food and setting, but...chuckmac07VIPDined on 10/26/2014just plain weird service. we loved the building, the decor, the menu and the food preparation (from starter to dessert), but the employees were just 'odd'. a bartender with almost no personality and a waiter dressed sloppily who felt compelled to interject while we were eating and add odd comments. just weird. i don't mean to be rude with this review, but this would be a 5-star review if the staff were a bit more 'traditional' for a high price point restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RepeatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014I've been here a few times but it's my first review. The place is great- service was good, food was great and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Great Service, Great Food.SallyjDined on 10/25/2014Your restaurant was recommended by the concierge at the Hyatt and we are so glad we went. The food, service and décor were all wonderful. We were a little concerned at the location as the taxi dropped us off at the corner because it is a one way street, however once inside no problems at all. The hostess actually came outside and hailed us a cab. What a great evening, next time in Chicago we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014First time at Sepia and it was awesome. The service, food and wine were superb and we will definitely return. Specialty drinks at the bar were very interesting and fun too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; service just okayEastSiderDined on 10/25/2014Food was excellent; but we were seated in a corner near the entrance because I think we were older than many at the restaurant. Requested a change and they did move us a table over, but said that's all they could do even though we saw other open tables. Arrived early for our reservations, and were waved over to the bar and had to ask to be seated at a table, since some in our party preferred. Request for additional bread during the meal never came. Enjoyed the food, but would probably try other options next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014In recent years, I've suggested different restaurants for celebrations (birthdays, Valentine's Day and anniversaries) to my wife. My two most recent suggestions have left much to be desired. To avoid a third strike with my spouse, I selected Sepia. It did not disappoint. The seasonal menu was quite good, the wine and spirits list extensive and the service was superior. It is good to have a Michelin-starred restaurant in Chicago whose name ends in the suffix -ia on which I can rely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedKennethVIPDined on 10/20/2014Place is great if you have money burning a whole in your pocket AND are on a diet. Trust me - you won't walk out stuff. The portions are ridiculously tiny.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationextraX5garlicDined on 10/17/2014I took my boyfriend to Sepia for his 24th birthday. Everything was perfect, the hostess were friendly and very accommodating. I asked them to write happy birthday on the plate for him, and I didn't even have to remind them. They brought his dessert out with a lit candle along with the message on the plate. I would definitely return here. I also would highly recommend Sepia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a keeper!SophieHVIPDined on 10/17/2014We arrived early and sat at the bar and enjoyed a bottle of bubbles. The interior is very cool - color scheme reminded me of an old sepia photograph. Dinner was quite lovely wth foie gras with toasted brioche and then a roasted beet salad. For main courses we split the duck breast and the pork collar - both were delicious. Now keep in mind - the collar is a little bit on the fatty side but is delicious. For dessert we split a wonderful tart. Wine list is good - a bit light on the American pinot side so we brought a bottle from our cellar. $25 corkage and one is allowed. Our server April was amazing! She was attentive without being overbearing - just perfect!! Will go back again and will definitely recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special CareconnorjwDined on 10/17/2014Hadn't planned on asking for special service as it was our anniversary, only thought we would enjoy a superb dinner with great wine and call it a night. However, Sepia went above and beyond! The hostess briefly asked if we were there for a special occasion and I mentioned it was our anniversary dinner. Much to our surprise the pastry chef herself came out with our dessert all glammed up with an anniversary note written in chocolate sauce. Multiple Sepia employees wished us happy anniversary (waiter, pastry chef, hostesses)--none of whom we told directly about why we were there. The hostess even gave us two small boxes of fresh baked treats on our way out (for free!). I must say, we felt well taken care of!Special Features:
- Great palad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Went in for my anivesary, great ambiance for a quiet romantic night, food taste great, although some to small entrees, the mix of so many flavors in it were splendid. their home made chees selection with caramelized nuts was really good. For main course ny strp steak, very good rare cooked point, soft as butter meat, the only detail it came a litle bit on the cold side, and the butcher left two strips of nerves in the meat cut that made it a litle unpleasant. Service was above excelente. We enjoyed our dinning experience and would recomend it.Special Features:
- Loved it!RichoDined on 10/12/2014Arrived a bit early but the staff accommodated us happily. Enjoyed the food and service and will go again when the opportunity presents. Only negative for the night was a very loud and vulgar patron but the staff eventually had him tone it down.I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothappycamperDined on 10/12/2014I took a date and they sat us down right next to another couple, no privacy or intimacy. Lots of noise and too much lighting.Special Features: