123 North Jefferson St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sepiachicago.com/
- Phone: 3124411920
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner Sunday 5:00-9:00pm Monday - Thursday: 5:15pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:15pm - 10:30pm Lounge opens daily at 4:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Zimmerman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sepia
Seamlessly melding refined and rustic, vintage and contemporary, Sepia has the feel of an instant classic. The stylish space is warm and inviting, comfortable yet lively. Attention to detail runs throughout Sepia -- both in the room and on the plate -- from the custom Art Nouveau tile floor to the hand-crafted millwork and the vintage stemware. The easy elegance of the room serves as the perfect backdrop for the inventive American cuisine. Chef Andrew Zimmerman's product-driven, seasonal menu showcases the purity and quality of the ingredients, letting both the ingredients and his passion for what he does shine through. Sepia celebrates tradition – with a modern twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sepia reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)special occasion (137)notable wine list (102)romantic (102)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (35)hot spot (35)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (12)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food, Great service.irish1Dined on 9/12/2014I took a client to a Friday lunch. Our meals were unique but tasty. Mayor Emanuel arrived just before us. This is a trendy, fun restaurant. I highly recommend Sepia for client entertainment and/or special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago Dining DestinationOldtimer8Dined on 9/9/2014Certainly one of the top dining destinations in Chicago, Sepia maintains high quality of cuisine and service at a price a bit below other restaurants of equal quality, while maintaining a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The menu is limited to about 10 or fewer choices for both appetizers and entrees, but there is sufficient variety and originality to make choices difficult. The wine list is both broad and adventurous, with enough quality choices in the $40-$50 range to appeal to a broader audience.Special Features:
- Special NightBirdi2Dined on 9/6/2014We choose this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary because my son had gone there and said it was amazing. He was right, the food was spectacular, with a great presentation, and very unique menu. Peach Gazpacho was incredible, and my husband had a pork collar that he could not get enough of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vintage Vibe and Amazing FoodfoodiewannabeDined on 9/5/2014The dining experience at Sepia is top-notch. The ambiance is very classy with a vintage vibe. The food was superb and clearly deserving of its Michelin Star! The tea smoked duck and the smoked rainbow trout were out of this world. And how could i forget to mention the duck fat fried potatoes?! Delicious. It was the best meal we've had all year. They also have an interesting selection of libations and an extensive wine list (by the glass and by the bottle). The day after the dining visit, I received a call from Sepia thanking me for dining with them and ensuring that I had a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/4/2014Remember every visits at Sepia. If you get a close friend wants to find some cool or private place for special taste experience, I believe Sepia is a good choice. The entree here is not too large but decorative, with their cocktails. Cannot request more.Special Features:
- Great foodMAMADined on 8/30/2014Nice and friendly waiters. Great bar selection and cocktails. Service is nice and servers are friendly and very knowledgeable. Food took a little while to arrive, but the quality was as if every dish was hand-made by Chef Zimmerman himself.Special Features:
- Terribly Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/201430 minute post reservation before actual seating. 1.5 hour wait for entree. Drink orders from bar in excess of 20 minute wait. When asked, server blamed it on the "10:30 dinner rush" - never in my life have I heard of such a thing, nor did the relatively empty dining room validate that excuse. Food was good, but absolutely not worth that kind of wait - I will never go back and caution you to spend your dollars elsewhere.
- Very nice foodfun2dineDined on 8/30/2014Very nice experience. The wine the waiter recommended was at a bit pricy side (probably x4 of the store price), but it was very good. The food (smoked duck & pig collar?) was perfect. The service was comfortable, but could be better at this level of restaurant. I may come back for the excellent dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience at SepiaSepiadinningDined on 8/30/2014- Overpriced drinks, anticipate $15-20 per drink & not all made well. - foie gras royale was excellent, needed to be served with more brioche. - butter lettuce, pickled ramp ranch was good but nothing special. Can get a ranch salad anywhere. - burrata had AMAZING FLAVOUR! Could have eaten the app myself. - ny strip steak cooked perfectly but the steak itself had no flavour what-so-ever. Sauce was good but had it not been present meat was flavourless. Would like to enjoy a steak without drowning it in sauce. - sea bass was too salty - duck excellent - duck fat fried potatoes were amazing. Presentation was beautiful. Loved the amuse bouche, burrata & the dessert. - Excellent service - Chairs are ugly - Soft music preferred to nothing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We sat in the private area for a small group. An extensive beverage list for everybody's taste. For apps, we tried the cavatelli with bone marrow butter, eggplant tortoloni, foie gras, charcuterie board. Everybody was thrilled. For my entree, I had the smoked trout which was flaky and perfectly cooked and I would definitely return for it. However, 2 people in my group had the steak which was difficult to cut and neither guest finished their meat. Another guest had the duck which she said was okay. Our server was attentive but seemingly frantic. Overall, the experience was a good one but not everybody left content. I would say that half my party would not return again. I'm not sure the food was at par with how much our bill ended up being.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- looking for a nice spot go to sepiadavessssDined on 8/28/2014sepia was tag best 'nice' meal I had in Chicago in 7 years. spend $100-$200 dollars and absolutely crush the date with incredible food ambience drink list, the entire package. service was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/27/2014Service was amazing - food was delicious - no complaints here! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- What a GemAlwaysgetsVIPDined on 8/22/2014We ended up checking out Sepia and have been hitting the foodie scene a lot. I did not realize it was a michelin star rated restaurant and it delivered and did so at a great price point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but speak up!AnonymousVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food at Sepia is great. The portions are just right, the menu is varied but not overwhelming, and the flavors are interesting and fresh. It's a beautiful restaurant, too. All the staff, from the friendly woman at the door to our server, were accommodating and gracious. I'd give it 4.75 stars if I could, deducting 0.25 of a star for the unbelievable din of conversation filling the room when we were there. If you want to have an in-depth conversation during dinner, ask to be seated near the perimeter of the room where it's a bit quieter, or (I guess) bring a dining companion who's loud.Special Features:
- Great Food. Upscale classics.OldStyleVIPDined on 8/16/2014Fried chicken, served two ways was simply amazing. Soft tender breast and some of the best milanese-style thigh ever. NY Strip was prepared excellent, at a perfect medium-rare. A good steak doesn't really need anything, but the presentation here and accompanying dishes only heightened the experience. Chocolate-bourbon pudding to finish with fresh banana pastries wrapped up the evening nicely. An then, the complimentary bite of house brownie will put you over the top! Well done, sir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and ServiceDianaDined on 8/13/2014We took a very experienced group of diners out for a business dinner. They were very impressed and enjoyed themselves tremendously. They will be more likely to dine with us again if we treat them to caliber places such as Sepia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing peach gazpachodinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014The peach gazpacho was amazing! Do not miss it. I will back for more.
- solid placeMatsuiDined on 8/10/2014pretty pricey; service was good when available; very quiet placeSpecial Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014When you have so many restaurant choices in this city, I found the restaurant to be very mediocre. The ambience is nice, but the food was nothing special.
- ideal evening out...NORNVIPDined on 8/9/2014Everything was flawless...menu, service, prices, presentation, and pace of the meal. Best anniversary dinner - we will definitely return. Thank you for a fabulous evening out.Special Features:
- Excellent burger at lunchmjm814VIPDined on 8/7/2014Quiet Good service and a great $15. burger at lunch and they cook it the way you like it Very nicely decoratedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/4/2014The only reason that I don't give it 5 stars is because it's rather pricey. However, the food, service, and décor are all excellent. Thanks very much for a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerNewbieDined on 8/2/2014From the moment we walked in we felt very special celebrating our anniversary! The ambiance was really cool, the food was amazing and the service was perfect! The only down side was how were seated for a table of two was awkward and extrely close to the people next to us. They were chatting away about their day- and we felt like we were just sitting with them. I would absolutely recommend for you to try it out, but I don't think we would head back there for dinner again, but would stop in for a drink at the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary SpecialSecureadineDined on 8/2/2014Took my wife there for our anniversary. Ordered the taste menu with wine pairing. Food and wine were excellent. Waiter was professional and knowledgeable. Special requests were no problem. Overall excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarySnackAttackDined on 8/2/2014I made 6:45 pm reservations an hour before dinner, which is quite odd for a Michelin-starred restaurant. Even stranger was that we had the entire outdoor patio to ourselves for the first half of the meal. Thank you Lollapalooza!! The service was impeccable. We began with cocktails and ordered the peach gazpacho and toasted masa cavatelli to split. The in-season sweet corn mixed with perfectly prepared noodles provided a wonderful textural contrast. Combined with the succulent shrimp and doused in bone marrow butter, this dish was a winner. The peach gazpacho played good cop to the 'bad' cavatelli. The in-season peaches played nicely with the black cardamom froth, which finished the dish with a kick. Very refreshing. Want more characters!Special Features:
- PizzaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was fantastic. Our server, Taylor, was phenomenal- knew her stuff, made the evening great. Still dreaming about all the deliciousness we had.Special Features:
- Outstanding+Eclectic, big wine listMuddyDogCoffeeDined on 7/23/2014Sepia was recommended by one of my Chicago foodie friends. She recommended several places, and I was a bit apprehensive that Sepia was the only one with a reservation available (how good could it be, right?). Well, as someone who eats in 25-50 fine restaurants per year, I rank Sepia in my Top 5. For some reason, it seems to be under appreciated in terms of reservations. Food was seasonal and creative. Wine list outstanding. Service attentive. No negatives at all to report.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceCHIfoodieDined on 7/21/2014We had a wonderful experience at Sepia and it was hands-down due to the great waiter that served us. I went for a business dinner with my boss and our client. Our server was extremely knowledgeable yet nice and humble. He had great suggestions to offer when we described what we were looking for (from food to drinks). The food, drinks, and wine was spectacular, but our server (Tony) really was the value-add. If the rest of the wait staff is anything like Tony, you are guaranteed to have a great and memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!GSPVIPVIPDined on 7/19/2014Worst service we've experienced in a long, long time. And, as dedicated opentable VIP members, we have a very good appreciation of what good service looks like, should be. Apparently, this restaurant did not understand, that we ( wife and I) have this good, experienced understanding. In turn, unfortunately, would not return to this restaurant, based on bad service, driven mainly by far too long of a wait for entrees to be brought out, etc.
- Great, but...RichHDined on 7/17/2014Like so many restaurants these days, they prefer to build buzz and energy rather than spend money on softening the noise level. We enjoyed the restaurant, but frankly as the room grew more crowded, all of us were looking forward to leaving so we could hear again. Table top conversations were difficult. The food and wine were excellent, the service took care of our dietary needs, but frankly, if you want to talk across the table, this isn't the place to go. They may call it energy, I don't.Special Features:
- Duck timeSepia2014Dined on 7/14/2014Got roasted duck, halibut, and duck fried potatoes. Roasted duck was amazing, halibut was clean and tasty. Duck fat fried potatoes were slightly salty but made a good pairing with halibut. Cocktails were well made (sazerac and gin martini) and got my friend drunk. Overall good experience as it's a Michelin level meal for $100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing...RyllVIPDined on 7/12/2014Consistently amazing each time we have been here. Highly recommend the Wagyu beef. Appetizers, entrees and desserts are all equally amazing.Special Features:
- DisappointingPhilVIPDined on 7/11/2014I have no idea how on earth they got a Michelin star. Very disappointing !?!? Poor food, poor service, and over priced.
- anniversary with familyNelsonDined on 7/11/2014Although, we didn't focus on this being an anniversary event with our family, the staff treated us like it was a special occasion. We, somehow, got a private room. It was perfect. Of all of our Chicago restaurants we visited, this was our favorite.Special Features:
- Tasty entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014I had lunch at Sepia twice this past week. Had the trout the first day and the cod the second time. Both were well prepared, and served with very tasty vegetables matching the fish well each time. Didn't get a chance to try the wine list at all so can't comment on thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!ColloDined on 7/9/2014We are from Florida, and were in Chicago for a visit. This place Rocks! We had a very attentive server, food was great, as well as wine. Enjoyed our meal so much.Special Features:
- Truly Fine Dining, close to theatrePandyprefersVIPDined on 7/9/2014If you're into a really lovely, beautifully presented, imaginative dining experience which is fairly close to the action...this is your bliss. Each dish was prepared perfectly and with a creative flair that was a wonder surprise, considering the location. We each had a fish dish that was both delicate and richly textured...and the chocolate marshmallow cake was out of this world! If you're theatre or Opera crowd, you've struck gold...with a lovely, attentive staff and and rolls to die for...and they worked around food allergies and special requests without losing a step. You can thank me later...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated EleganceTuckerFoodieDined on 7/8/2014I recently tried Sepia while visiting Chicago at the recommendation of a culinary friend. The restaurant was very nice and the wait staff was very friendly. The sommelier was knowledgeable and made an excellent recommendation for us. We tried several appetizers and entrees which were all exceptional. I'd highly recommend the wagyu steak, lamb chop, or duck breast. Each was excellent. The house made charcuterie was also a very good choice for a first course.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2014Our dining experience here was fantastic. Our server, Taylor, was friendly and knowledgable and really enhanced our experience. The food was completely delicious and worth the price. I cannot wait for my next trip to this restaurant!Special Features:
- One of Chicago's bestLichterDined on 7/3/2014I brought some friends here that were out of town and we really enjoyed the meal. I have been a few times and Sepia continues to impress.Special Features: