14583 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sentsovi.com/
- Phone: 4088673110
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Josiah Slone
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Khin Khin Slone at (408) 867-3110 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information on catering services.
- Private Party Facilities: Sent Sovi’s intimate Wine Cellar is ideal for parties of 5-30. The Main Dining Room seats up to 60 guests comfortably. Outdoor patio receptions are available weather allowing. The Main Dining Room seats up to 55 guests comfortably.
- Private Party Contact: Khin Khin Slone 4088673110
- Special Events: Sent Sovi hosts winemaker or ingredient themed dinners each month. Go to www.sentsovi.com, our Facebook page or follow sentsovi on twitter to stay up to date
- Cross Street: 5th Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available on Big Basin Way, same level as the restaurant. There is also a public parking lot located on 4th street behind the restaurant in the Victorian Village parking area. If you parked at the 4th street parking, the restaurant is located at the top of the stairs. If you are coming from Saratoga or 85 freeway turn right on 4th street and turn left into the parking lot. The stairs and the restaurant are located towards the back of the lot.
A word from Sent Sovi
Josiah and Khin Khin Slone create a warm, friendly, and comfortable food-focused environment at Sent Sovi – at once a destination for diners from the entire Bay Area and members of the local community. Chef Josiah works closely with local farmers, purveyors, and small local wineries to bring a Californian influence to French cuisine in preparing seasonal and stylish wine friendly food. More than 20 wine selections are offered by the glass from their state of the art dispensing system. Guests can choose to pair them with a three or four course prix fixe menu, or six course Chef's or Vegetarian tasting menu. Copper wainscoting, hardwood floors, and a flower strewn outdoor patio, help create an intimate atmosphere in which to enjoy the experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Sent Sovi - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
Sent Sovi reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (20)romantic (19)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (8)neighborhood gem (7)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Enjoyable evening of dining out.TSilverDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed for a birthday with family. Small to medium sized, ~20 tables inside and out. Accommodated a late increase in party, 3 to 5. Didn't appear to be a problem, as they were not full and didn't fill up. Service was friendly and prompt. The manager served us our nice selection of cheeses which were paired w/nothing too exciting, and she didn't appear to really know the cheeses very well, had to read the menu. Excellent wine. The gazpacho was wonderful, 3 of us had it and enjoyed it very much. Nice presentation of dishes that were well prepared and nice portion sizes. Very interesting and yummy combinations in the sauces. The duck main course was excellently prepared and very tasty. Our waitress added to the experience. I will go back.Special Features:
- Good Food Slow Servicewineanddine62VIPDined on 8/22/2014Sent Sovi is a nice little restaurant in Saratoga. Overall it was a good dining experience but the service was pretty slow. We were greeted and seated promptly. Offered drinks and the menus. They have 3 options: Order a set 6 course meal; order a 3 course meal or order a 4 course meal. My wife and daughter all opted for the 3 course option. They have 3 tasting categories to choose from, starters, entrees and desserts. They had some additional sides you could order but were over and above the pricing for one of the 3 options. All 3 of us enjoyed our meals. Our reservations were at 6:30. We did not finish our meal until a little after 8 and we had no wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Fine dining with excellent service. A bit on the pricey side ($100 per person with wine pairings). The chef made a special effort to accommodate my vegetarian husband. Portion sizes were small as is typical of stylish French influenced cuisine. Ingredients were clearly local, organic and extremely fresh.Special Features:
- Sent Sovi AnniversraryTracyVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had the pleasure of dining at Sent Sovin celebrating our anniversary. What a delight. An innovative Summer tasting menu by Chef. Every course of the 6 Course Tasting menu was fresh and eclectic; from the 63 degree egg to the very lovely Lamb Chop. The wine pairings were perfect chosen by Tracey. Thank you for helping us make this night special. Bravo.Special Features:
- Special Night DiningSunnyDined on 8/15/2014We went out for my wife's birthday. We had the Six Course menu with paired wine. They split the wine so we were safe to drive home. The food was tasty with the wines. Lamb chops were perfection. The service was very friendly and attentive. The evening was pricey but my wife deserves special attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and disappointingLuvs2ParVIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant has a charming interior and overly attentive service. But it was a disappointment, expensive and underwhelming. The corkage fee was $35! The food was both tiny and overly cute--featuring peculiar ingredients but not very much of anything. Our dinner came to over $100 per person and when we returned home later that night we were still hungry. My desert was billed as a pineapple upside down cake, but consisted of two pineapple slices with some filler in between. My wife's petrale sole was swimming in liquid. My duck appetizer consisted of three tiny morsels.
- OK food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I went here for dinner and while we both enjoyed our food, the service was quite bad. We sat for around 45 minutes after ordering before receiving our first course. When the server asked how our first course was we mentioned the wait time, but only received an "OK" -- I expected something more than that answer. I have to believe there was something going on with the waitstaff or in the kitchen that night. I certainly hope it's not the norm. For the price point of this restaurant, I expected exemplary service, but was very disappointed.
- Great foodDevineserviceDined on 7/20/2014Chef is innovative and wine superb! Nice choices on menu. We enjoyed the ambience and the fact that chef came out to talk to our table. It made the evening very special! We were not hurried at anytime throughout the evening and were able to enjoy everyone's company. The staff never felt intrusive and were very pleasant. I would definitely go back. We traveling over 2500 miles to take a special friend out and I am glad we chose this restaurant !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a night out for twobahrDined on 7/19/2014A nice quiet restaurant with attentive staff and a unique menu to add some adventure to your evening. The servers interjected enough to keep the night going (explain menu items, etc.) but did not feel in the way at all, we barely noticed them. The food was delicious and worth the price. Also, don't expect a quick in-and-out meal here, you're expected to take your time and savor each course as the flavors are carefully crafted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful but PriceyFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014The service was awesome! A bit more expensive for what we all ordered, the food was presented nicely but a bit bland. Dessert was uniquely made but too much on the taste buds.Special Features:
- BirdieTDined on 7/9/2014Delicious and creative food at this charming little restaurant. Flat iron steak and duck were both wonderful. The wine list was pretty extensive, so it would have been nice to have a knowledgeable server to help us choose. Next time, would pass on the $10 cup of coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grey meatexperiencedsousDined on 6/27/2014The restaurant was accommodating to special food allergies, which was appreciated. On the recommendation of the waiter I had the roasted pork loin. It was pork loin but not roasted, if it was roasted it was in a pan with a lot of liquid as the pork came to the table great and cooked medium-medium well. Very disappointing to pay $60 for a prix fix menu item and have the main course be prepared so poorly.Special Features:
- Overall good but not outstandingTomtomDined on 6/20/2014The food was well prepared, the service was outstanding. I had the tasting menu and my wife ate a'la cart. Both were fine and well paced, but nothing spectacular or memorable. The wines by the glass were very expensive compared to other similar restaurants. We used to frequent Sent Sovi a lot (although much less nowadays compared to when Kinch was the chef). My only bone to pick is the very limited main course offering. On the other hand I really appreciated that the tasting menu has a vegetarian option on every dish, this is unusual and outstanding. If you used mainly (preferably exclusively) organic local ingredients, including grass fed organic beef and organic local free range chicken/eggs we would frequent Sent Sovi much more often.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at Sent SoviSaturdayDinner42Dined on 6/14/2014In general the food was very good. My appetizer of duck pate was very bland although the side dip helped ease that shortcoming. The pork tenderloin was tasty and melted in my mouth. My wife enjoyed the plum and sliced cucumber salad salad and the chef was very accommodating in allowing the rack of lamb to be included in the 3 course dinner. The broccolini unfortunately was served cold. Both of us enjoyed the chocolate (cake?, don't remember the exact term) dessert. The wine list was limited but with the server's help we found a Pinot that we both enjoyed. Service varied between slow and speedy but was knowledgeable and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a great find!hardlyeverwritereviewsDined on 5/31/2014Food was delicious, service was SPECTACULAR. Typically I find most restaurants bore you with the amuse bouche. The amuse bouche here was great-my taste buds were certainly amused! I love food (although not I'm not quite a 'foodie'), but haven't been excited about a restaurant like this in quite some time. Meal had a great/unique combinations of flavors...such as the Pear/bleu cheese crumble for dessert. Oh and the bread/rolls were out of this world. I look forward to returning to Sent Sovi soon!Special Features:
- Pretentiousness and poor foodFoodieandWinieVIPDined on 5/30/2014It's not just that this restaurant is trying to be something that its not and never can be. And it's not just that the food is not that good, considering the price. It's that the food, while edible, is nothing special. When you leave this restaurant you feel ripped off and cheated. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone. The food is just plain weird and is not that good. Avoid
- Booking System Could ImproveBetterBookingDined on 5/30/2014We purchased a TravelZoo voucher for the Six Courses Tasting Menu and somehow I missed the fine print saying valid Sunday-Friday. However, when I made the booking on OpenTable for a Saturday dinner, the system did not prompt for any voucher restriction. When we showed up and were told that their computer system does not support TravelZoo on Saturday, we were not happy at all.
- Great food excellent serviceSjiyerDined on 5/28/2014We went on a special occasional. Their wine selection and recommendations were excellent.food portions are just right and wonderfully presented. Great gem of a place. A bit pricey but good for special occasions.Special Features:
- Sent Sovi Great FoodGFOODVIPDined on 5/25/2014Sent Sovi is a great restaurant, but it's expensive and the portions are small. But the quality is high. Although it's fine dining, I don't think it's a great value considering the very high prices. Yes, you can have some unique dishes. But the portions are very small. We needed three appetizers, three entrees, two desserts, and two glasses of wine each to make us feel like we had dinner. It's a small menu which is correct for a high quality dining experience. They had a pre fixe menu, and some of the items on that menu looked good, but they wouldn't let us order any dish from that menu if you were ordering from the other menu. It's a small menu. It's a very expensive restaurant. The least they could do is be more flexible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 530 reviews are from the Sent Sovi reviews archive.
- Wonderful anniversary tastingfoodloverDined on 5/15/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary again this year, after having a wonderful meal on a previous anniversary. This time we tried the Chef's Tasting Menu paired with wines. We loved that they let us split a pairing between us, as it was a work night and we didn't want to drink too much, but wanted to taste the wines. The staff surprised us by spelling in sauce happy anniversary on our dessert plate. The service and food was excellent the entire night.Special Features:
- almost greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014This place has great food, no dought, the few knocks I do have are the old and somewhat ratty decor, and the lack of knowledge that the staff has about the menu. At a restaurant of this quality they should know where all the food comes from and be able to tell the diner if the food is sourced from the wild or farm raised. Why not know as much about the food as you do the wine. that being said the staff are friendly and courteousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They really try.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014Good, interesting food. What was really nice, was that the food delivery was delayed and the staff gave a us a (large) complimentary bottle of apple cider. The restaurant made us feel that they were going a "step" beyond.Special Features:
- High end taste w Mid range StickerreluctantfoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014We weren't up for a big meal, but did want a fine dining experience. Lucked out with restaurant week 4-course special at Sent Sovi Wine Bar. The Cucumber/Fennel Soup & Vadouvan Rubbed Chicken were outstanding. The best part was the service - with Eric orchestrating the proceedings. He made us feel as special as we do, while dining on the main Sent Sovi side.Special Features:
- A romantic hide-out placeSnMojopDined on 5/2/2014Our daughter recommended us this place on our anniversary last year. Since we love to come here on special ocassions. This place brought us back a fond memory when we were first met 40+ years ago back in our native country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful PlacebobgDined on 4/17/2014The service is the best along with the food. The wine pairing is the best we ever experienced. The restaurant has and will be one of our favorites over the past 20+ years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When food becomes the ArtBreadandbutterDined on 4/10/2014Sent sovi is a real treat. No details are overlooked, the water is chosen carefully, the veggies are grown on site, the coffee is perfectly selected, but it's not stuffy. It's a culinary experience not to be missed. Their are very few places left where the chef take such pride in creating each meal. Chef Josiah comes out to the tables to great his guest. The lates addition is their great wine bar and patio. Perfect for a quick meal or drinks before your meal. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the French/California Seasonal..OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2014... tradition, Josiah, seemingly effortlessly, on a weekly or even nightly basis, creates new dishes on the fly, and using only the best meats, seafoods, and vegetables he can find. When I order the six course tasting option, I know I'm going to experience six dishes unlike anything I've ever tried before. While he's always been able to tailor dishes for any diner's food requirements, I was happy to see the vegetarian options explicitly called out on the menu now. Our experience for our 20th anniversary was amazing being able to try multiple wine pairings with each dish. And the personal touch of "Happy 20th Anniversary" chocolate script on the plates of our dessert course was an unexpected and welcome encore. Thank you, Josiah and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always creative, fresh and amazingJD1975Dined on 3/26/2014Each of the three times we've eaten at Sent Sovi, it has been perfect. Their staff is very knowledgeable and friendly and the dishes are so inventive with wonderful ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well-rounded excellence.ChrisDined on 3/15/2014You can always tell a restaurant's caliber by how they handle requests or issues. We arrived late, and with a five year old - they seated us promptly and made us completely comfortable. Our daughter got her own unique fruit amuse bouche, and the chef whipped up some Parmesan and butter pasta that she gobbled up. That left us free to enjoy our own meals, which were outstanding. A flank steak that rivaled sirloin for tenderness but with the added flavor of flank, beautifully done. A pork tenderloin that was perfectly done, moist, complimented nicely by a hint of blueberry and a nut crust. Our server, Eric, got it just right - friendly, engaging, prompt without smothering. A lovely meal, and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner!!!maunemanDined on 3/12/2014I took my partner to sent sovi for his birthday. The waitress brought us champagne to start and paired our entire meal with awesome wine. We each had the three course meal which was amazing. Each course was expertly prepared and so flavorful. I had the fish special, the duck and cumquat salad for an appetizer, and For desert I went chocolate. This place is so good. I would choose it over many other five star restaurants in the Bay Area. Been to a lot of them, and this one is the hidden gem. Can't wait to go back and do it all over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bay Area veg. tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014The challenge with many vegetarian tasting menus is that they are usually poor stepchildren to the standard omnivore's versions, often consisting primarily of the sides. Even though we have had amazing meals at Michelin-starred restaurants (Manresa, Masa, Dio Deka, Inn at Applewood, etc.), we always felt a bit that we were getting a second-class meal. Not so at Sent Sovi. Chef Slone's emphasis on local, seasonal ingredients naturally produces vegetable-centric plates. The changes that are required for the full vegetarian version are minimal. Of course none of that guarantees that it will be good, but it was! It was inventive, original, and bursting with flavor. The smoked egg dish and the amazing broth of the carrot soup were highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint Bistro with great foodRangelaDined on 3/5/2014Wife and I had an amazing 6 course meal (actually 8 when you add the two complimentary courses). Food was amazing - not quite Manresa - but very close. My wife is a chef and she noted how pretty much every texture was covered by the chef. Everything was cooked to perfection and we couldn't finish our main course - but we did have just enough room for the dessert.. funny how that works. This restaurant is for foodies. - Do not go here if you are expecting Chili size portions - this is an experience not just a meal and expect to spend over 200 dollars for dinner and drinks. But each course is quite the culinary experience. Tracy our host was super friendly and caring. She went out of her way to make us feel comfortable and welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointment unfortunatelyepicureanDined on 2/19/2014I was looking forward to an intimate fine dinner with innovative locally sourced ingredients food creative and local but hit or miss. Most meat dishes over salted (and I have been accused of using salt for texture!), short on vegetables. Cured steelhead was nicely done however. service decent but not what you would expect for those prices. Functional but no flair or elegance, well below typical European mid range restaurant ambience copper sheathing around room gave a warm feel but the single large open room would be awkward if full. Fortunately only 3 parties there on a Wednesday night. summary overall it was fair but a poor value for the $200 tab for two including tips and drinks. innovative but just didn't hit the mark.
- one of the best French restuarantsLocalfoodieDined on 2/16/2014Great food and even better service! Been there few times and never been disappointed. Food is wonderful and the staff makes you want to go back for more food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Valentine512damonVIPDined on 2/14/2014They were either understaffed or over booked last night for Valentine's Day. 830 reservation and by 1015 we had only still had our salad. We asked for our check and left before main entree. Quality of the food was good, but not exceptional and not quite worth the high price tag.
- Valentine's DinnermatronDined on 2/14/2014I found our dining experience was just average considering the price, and service.. nothing too special. We waited about 10 minutes for our wine to reach our table. The courses were about 25 minutes between each interval, a little longer than anticipated and we got colder the longer the night went on..almost 4 hours..a bit long for our liking. Our server took my wine glass after I had almost finished with my wine without asking if I would like another glass. She did not ask if our meal was to our satisfaction or if there was anything we needed. Our meal was very tasty without any complaints. Thank You!
- Nice food, but corkage fee dumbBobmanDined on 2/13/2014We had a nice quiet dinner with excellent food. Service was OK, but the waitress was slow to open the bottle of wine we brought with us AND they charged an unbelievable $35 corkage fee, the most I've ever paid at any restaurant, even at those in Beverly Hills. Make certain the restaurant owners see this review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014We have enjoyed the ambience at Sent Sovi everytime we have been there (3-4 times). However, the food this time was less than perfect. The initial rolls we were offered were hard. Possibly because we were the first diners of the evening it seemed as if we were offered yesterday's rolls. My fish entree was undercooked (i. e. the center was raw). Rather a disappointing evening in comparison to past visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An older feel...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/8/2014This restaurant has been around for a while and it sort of shows around the edges as it tries to compete with the Michelin set with tasting menus and foam and wine pairings, but all that seems somewhat forced. The entrees and desserts we had with the 3 course set were superb, although the first courses were fairly standard nice but not special restaurant fare. The service was attentive and pleasant but not as polished or professional as much of the competition in this price range. A very good meal but we aren't eager to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointed in the food.food4thoughtDined on 1/28/2014very disappointed in the food. Had to send almost everything back even the dinner rolls! Paid for the drinks and left.