111 East Kellogg Blvd.
Saint Paul, MN 55101Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.senorwong.com/
- Phone: 6512242019
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11am - 9pm, Friday: 11am - 11pm, Saturday: 5pm - 11pm, Sunday: 5pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Cody Monson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Senor Wong offers catering for on-site and off-site events with special rates. Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: The lounge area can be rented out for semi-private use for birthdays and large group gathering. The lounge area contains a pool table and dart boards for entertainment.
- Private Party Contact: Son Truong 651-224-2019
A word from Señor Wong
Located in Downtown St. Paul, Señor Wong has one of the most unique dining experiences in the Twin Cities. Featuring mostly traditional Asian and Latin dishes, Señor Wong introduces guests to the best flavors and sensations from each culture. The menu also consists of fusion items seasonally crafted by Executive chef Cody Monson and features such items as, Miso Glazed Roasted Halibut with forbidden rice, Mole Bone-in Pork Loin with wild black quinoa-potato puree and Yuzu Cointreau Duck with gingered sweet potato “spatzle”. Señor Wong’s atmosphere is casual with a touch of fine dining, offering a full bar with late-night dining. The restaurant features a great selection of small production wines, premium sake, locally crafted beers and imported beers from Asia and South America. So take a culinary adventure through Asia and Latin America and make a reservation at Señor Wong, one of the premier destination restaurants for any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Señor Wong reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)vibrant bar scene (3)neighborhood gem (2)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- They were closedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We made a reservation online, received an email confirmation, arrived at the restaurant on a Sunday at 7, to find the doors locked! We were very disappointed, terrible for customer service. They knew we had a reservation, someone should have called.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Drinks were awesome, but the food was alright. My wife ordered the lemongrass rice and it was lacking flavor, but the "Distinguished Gentleman" cocktails we ordered were awesome. My pan-fried noodles were alright, but had a bit to much sauce.Special Features:
- Tasty dishes a bit heavy in greaseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Great service, we used a groupon it was a good deal. My boyfriend requested a ton of sauces and they were obliging. It was pretty quiet and food was ok. Shrimp appetizer was very tasty. Most of the food was pretty greasy but still tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food..success2014Dined on 8/7/2014The food was great but the customer service needs improvement. The servers do not pay attention to each customer. When I wanted to request a check and another soda I had to literally get up and find a server; the servers just walk pass tables without looking to see if anyone needs assistance. Also I my credit card was double billed at this place and 10 days later I am still waiting for a refund or credit. The food is good but I may not return to this business.
- SubparBigPigFanDined on 8/3/2014Ordered the small salad, pork belly, and short ribs to start. Portions for the appetizers were small at $8 each. Kimchi provided with short ribs was flavorless and ribs had very little meat. Pork belly was acceptable. First small salad had lettuce mix and bean sprouts - that was it. Menu description was spring mix, cucumbers, green onions, and sesame seeds. Sent back to kitchen, waiter claimed person who prepared it was new. Overall ambiance was fair, music was bit loud for the space and consisted of an old Franz Ferdinand album played straight through. Decided to skip entrees due to quality concerns. Bottom line - with all the possible choices in the cities Senor Wong's is a must miss.
- MehhungrymeDined on 7/25/2014Brought my boyfriend for his birthday. The ambiance left a lot to be desired. It was a quiet hole in the wall. Service was SLOW, food was pretty good.
- Use to be "The Buccaneer"PeteDined on 6/21/2014Ah-hoy matte... This use to be an old downtown hangout for many local office workers, called the Buccaneer. It still feels like the hull of a ship, dark and felt sticky. The service was very good, our server was very menu knowledgable And made excellent recommendations. I wasn't impressed with the beef sate appetizer, but the pollo flautes were incredible. I'd return, but not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Good food, great beerScout83Dined on 6/6/2014There was good food, and the beer was fantastic. The price was definitely fair, but I went for lunch and dinner and lunch was definitely a better deal. I would suggest going for lunch and getting the special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 349 reviews are from the Señor Wong reviews archive.
- Would like to try againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/5/2014Attention from wait staff was very good. Can not put my finger on it but something is missing. Was not very busy,,, maybe it was people. Menu is a bit different, beer menu had half the beers not avail. I love spice and the food did not disappoint, but may be too much for some.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a so-so ratingHeatherinSaintPaulDined on 4/27/2014We tried Señor Wongs for the first time recently and while we had good service and the menu looked appetizing and creative, I was less than satisfied with my Chicken Pad Thai. It was a little dry and not very tasteful. My partner had the Crazy Noodles and while it was better, it too lacked something. A friend ordered the Carnita and loved it so it may be the noodles are lacking in something.Special Features:
- A dining promise mostly fulfilledLunchTimeRushDined on 4/24/2014My partner and I chose to eat at Senor Wong based on my partner's dietary restrictions (vegetarian + other restrictions). Senor Wong has a large variety of vegetarian and vegan options. However, when we tried to customize a menu item, the kitchen failed to follow through. While, the menu item was re-cooked in about 10 minutes, this was still a bit of a problem, as I had already been served. Our server was mildly apologetic, but did not offer any additional recompense. This was the only drawback on a very nice meal, with drinks and an appetizer for about $50. The dining room seemed more empty than warranted with the price vs. quality. We will still go back to Senor Wong, whenever we have an event to attend in downtown St. Paul.Special Features:
- Yummy AppsMo525Dined on 4/24/2014My husband and I visit Señor Wongs often and love the apps, however we tried the pad thai and brought it home for later. The Pad Thai was extremely bland and had no flavor. Too bad we had it at home and couldn't return it. However, the sweet potato spring rolls and spring rolls are always delicious. Service is consistently good.
- Great waiter & food, slow kitchen.MittyDined on 4/5/2014We were late for reservation, but seated quickly. Professional, courteous waiter brought us water, took drink orders within a couple of minutes of being seated, brought our drinks within another 5 minutes and we ordered dinners. Then we waited more than 30 minutes for our food. Ultimately, my date's dinner was served cold, but mine was hot. The waiter was nice, probably covered for the kitchen - my date's food prepared and left sitting while the mine was hurriedly prepared. The water took 20% off our bill for the wait, which was satisfactory to us. Normally excellent service at Senor Wong's, this is the first bad experience for us. We will go back because of excellent wait staff, plus interesting cocktails, well-prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticmjs010Dined on 3/29/2014Arrachera - honestly that's all you really need to know, but this has to be at least 50 characters. Sweet potato fritters were good, but not really a fritter in my mind. Also - lots of ... chaff is probably the right word. Small sweet potato fragments in the fritter basket. Not that they weren't delicious, but felt like I was trying to eat a basket of sweet potato crumbs. Dessert - amazing. People have probably given their lives for less amazing things that the Mexican Chocolate Brownie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodatinganonymousDined on 3/22/2014The restaurant accomodated our party of 10 for a late dinner. The service was great: friendly & professional. We ordered a variety of food--from appetizers to dinner entrees. All were presented in a beautiful manner, and tasted delicious. The best app is the shrimp--crunchy, savory, perfect. The kalbi shortribs & pork belly also shined. The chicken pad thai was yummy. It was a great atmosphere for the young & vibrant folks to party the night away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for dinner while downtownkat26Dined on 3/20/2014Went for dinner while downtown St. Paul. Menu is interesting and the food was good. Ordered appetizers and drinks that came right away. When we ordered dinner, we did not see our server or the food for 40 minutes. There was no crowd and our meals were not complicated. Will be a long time before we try there again.
- We got a GCluckylindyDined on 3/15/2014We were not totally impressed with the food. The sweet potato fries were good but nothing to write home about. The breaded eggplant apps were too much breading, not enough eggplant. The Pad Thai was kind of dry and tasteless and there wasn't much chicken. The duck salad should have been called an arugula with flecks of duck. I had to hunt for the meat and it was kind of soggy, not enough crispy bits. The brownie with banana ice cream was outstanding however.Special Features:
- Rather Bland Food, Shuttle no show.ChuckieDined on 3/15/2014We traveled to the cities to take in a wild game. We narrowed our list to Señor Wong due to them having a shuttle to the Wild game. We were seated right away. The waiter was courteous and timely. The Pad Thai was very bland with almost no flavor. The carnitas two 4 inch round shells came on a platter plate, very unsatisfying. We finished our meal by 6:15 to be ready to take the shuttle over to the Excel center. We were told it would arrive soon. (There was prob 4 groups to take the shuttle)Then told it was running a few minutes late. Then it's on the way over and over, we watched all groups left to walk to the game rather than wait. We finally joined the crowd, we could no longer wait for the shuttle. We ended up walking to the game.Special Features:
- Lacking ServiceLackingServiceDined on 3/14/2014Made reservations and when we arrived, we had to wait ten minutes just for the hostess to come and acknowledge we were even there. Then another ten minutes to get a table once again with a reservation. The restaurant was not busy and this was kind of upsetting. After being seated we waited 20 minutes and still had not been greeted by our server. We waited another 5 minutes before stopping someone and asking them for our server. He was kind and helped us. He was a bit confused as to why we had not been helped also. He ended up taking our order. This experience has put them on my do not recommend list. I have heard their bar is good but stay away from the restaurant unless you love poor service and like being ignored after you are seated
- Showed up on a first date.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/11/2014Showed up on a first date. The server was friendly and attentive, but gave space as needed. Great drink selection for happy hour, including choosing your own beer flight. The tacos were pretty good as well, we went with fish and carnitas. It was a nice space, quieter than I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had reservations and theSillysynapseVIPDined on 3/2/2014We had reservations and the restaurant side was empty and actually closed off, so we were seated in the bar. The bartender was very nice. Menu tries to be more hippy and trendy with the Vietnamese and Chinese fusion cuisine; seems promising. Food just isn't very good. Our parking wasn't validated; information wasn't accurate on the website or on OpenTable unfortunately, so beware.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2014The food was lackluster - especially considering the price. My husband likes extra veggies in his chicken Pad Thai - something that seems like a fairly simple request and something that is always accommodated in any other Thai restaurant for a $1/2 up-charge. This place would not agree to the request which just struck us the wrong way because it was not like this was an order for Kobe beef in an upscale Manhattan restaurant - good grief …a few sprigs of broccoli in his Pad Thai. The food was decent, nothing terrible, and the ambience was so-so. A downtown St Paul restaurant that serves basic Asian food before your Wild game or concert at the Xcel.Special Features:
- Great food and great managementJenaVIPDined on 2/16/2014Our first visit to Senor Wong started off a bit rocky, but by the end we knew we would be back. The food is GREAT. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the flavors were great and there was enough spice and kick in the spicy dishes (i.e., they delivered on the spice and didn't dull things down). The management and staff were excellent and made us feel very welcome.Special Features:
- Long time diner, never disappointedchupacabraDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I have lived in Lowertown for the last 5 years and we have come here pretty much monthly. The food is high quality, presented well, and can be paired with wines or craft beer quite easily. The decor is interest, and we have enjoyed the ambiance over the years as well. I would recommend a visit to you, as I have our friends and family. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Senor Wong on VdayRhino34VIPDined on 2/14/2014Lucky for us I made reservations well in advance - the house was sold out for the evening - we were in the first wave of what was going to be a busy evening for Senor Wong's. The food was quite good - portions are large - so be prepared to eat and/or share. The service was crisp and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItAdamDined on 2/14/2014Honestly I loved this place. I brought my girlfriend here for Valentine's day and she couldn't have loved it anymore than I did, she said it was the perfect way to start the evening with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there before the JustinLisaDined on 2/9/2014Went there before the Justin Timberlake concert and it was one of the few restaurants within walking distance of the Xcel Center that had openings. I'm not sure why they werent booked up, the food was great, and they even had a free shuttle to and from the concert!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious Night OutkbMplsDined on 2/1/2014This was my second visit to Senor Wong, and I really enjoyed both visits. This time I went with a group of old friends for dinner. We had a lot to catch up on, so our dinner took quite awhile--I appreciated that the staff did not rush us along. Very satisfied & looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked and underwhelming.8bitDined on 1/17/2014Took 45 min to get our food when there were 4 other tables full. Octopus was rubbery and overcooked. Food was meh. Beer list was meh. Won't be back.
- Great experience!SCMNDined on 1/17/2014Food was wonderful! Many items on the menu were based on well-known Asian dishes, but with a unique twist. The sandwiches were huge. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and answered our questions with ease. Fast service as well. Will be going back to Senor Wong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First, but not the last visitLCM55417VIPDined on 1/3/2014The food was very good and our service was excellent. We let our server know we had a show to go to so she made sure we were done in time. She also hooked us up with free shuttle to the theater. We stopped back for a drink after the show and the bar food was just as good as what we had in the dining room. Looking forward to going back and trying more menu items.
- If you are looking for GlutenNiceDined on 12/31/2013If you are looking for Gluten Free options, this is not the place for you. I have a food allergy, and there were only 2-3 meal choices on the menu. That said, and for everyone else, it is a very nice place, and the service and the food is great.Special Features:
- Food was great; decor is tiredOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2013The food was really good! Everything we tried had great flavor and presentation. Although, I wouldn't say the food is kid friendly/those with a simpler palette. However, we managed to find something "not" on the menu for our kids to eat. The facility could use some refreshing - new paint, touch ups, etc. (It's to the point that my child said something to me...). A decor refresh could do this restaurant wonders!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - hidden awayEWanDined on 12/26/2013The food was really good at Senior Wongs. Unfortunately, we went the day after Christmas, so there were very few people there and the atmosphere was quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Delicious Food!AnniversaryDined on 12/20/2013My friend and I had dinner at Senior Wong's last week. Our waiter was attentive, not annoying, made excellent recommendations on entrees, brought a sample of a beer I was considering, and delivered food that was very good. Interesting favors, tofu prepared properly with no mealy taste, and appetizers that were well worth the extra calories. Even though I spend most of my time in Minneapolis I will definitely be coming back to St. Paul for dinner here again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great cherrieskoneDined on 12/13/2013I love senor wongs restaurant! We had a great waiter who was friendly, happy and full of info on the food and drinks. They also make the best Singapore sling in town!!!! complete with brandy soaked cherries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique menu...awesome drinksBenderDined on 11/22/2013Described restaurant as having a menu of 40-50 items, none of which likely exist on any menu anywhere...same with cocktail menu. Really enjoyed sharing entrees within our group. Awesome food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixedcullenDined on 11/2/2013Appears to push drink but the spring roll and chicken were excellent. Service was also excellent. The name of the restaurant gets snickers when I tell others about the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!BeckyDined on 10/25/2013Food was amazing, service was great. Went with 2 friends and we ended up sharing a few appetizers and our meals, everything was really good and flavorful! Their signature margarita is one of the best margaritas I've ever had. Only disappointment was they were out of the bread pudding dessert we all wanted to try. Guess I'll have to go back again to try it, can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceKellyDined on 10/3/2013This was my second time at Senior Wongs and once again I was very impressed. We went before the Wild game so we got discounted parking and a shuttle was available. It is in the perfect location, walking distance from everything! We went during their happy hour so the price was right and the food was delicious! I have never been disappointed by the Sweet Potato Fries! The service was exceptional, the staff were very friendly and quick with our food and clearing our plates. The food is very unique and for someone who is picky, like myself, this place is perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.