Senor Fred Restaurant
13730 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
Senor Fred Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.senorfred.com/
- Phone: 8187893200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 7:00pm; Open until midnight on Sunday - Thursday and 2:00am on Friday & Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Maria Magdeleno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Senor Fred Restaurant
Senor Fred brings uncompromising good quality, exceptional service and ambiance reminiscent of Mexico at the turn of the century.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Senor Fred Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Unusual Mexican DIshesbutterflydotDined on 9/1/2013I have been to this neighborhood restaurant many times and it is consistently good, with a friendly staff. Menu and drink choices are extensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Food and DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2013Decided to come here for a birthday lunch, last minute. Heard great things, so decided to give it a try.The place did not disappoint. At lunchtime, it's very quiet and easy to get into. Parking in the area can be rough, so it's nice to get there at a decent time. The food was fantastic, specifically the chicken enchiladas. So were the margaritas. Can't really speak for the night scene. I'm sure it's much more exciting as they have a big bar. I would come back to check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and staffskluvsfoodVIPDined on 7/28/2013The food and drinks are never a disappointment. The staff is friendly and make dining here a pleasure. I love the black cod and lamb shank both of which are flavorful and mouth melting. I've been coming here for years and would recommend this place anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 30th Bday/Engagement Party!DJLisetteDined on 7/27/2013Recently celebrated my 30th birthday with about 14/15 people at Senor Fred's, which was also where I met my fiance on our blind date a little over 2 years ago and as usual it was a fantastic time. I requested half of the loungey section right in front of the bar, which is where our blind date happened too, and it was great. It ended up being a birthday + engagement party of sorts and the staff was great. Attentive with the drinks and food all night!! Such a great and fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Everything!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2013This place was the right choice! I wanted a location that was different from my normal Casa Vega excursion and this was the spot. The food was amazing, the service impeccable and the atmosphere perfect! I went with some friends for my birthday celebration and was glad I did. This place tops the usual Mexican cuisine with every bite bursting with incredible flavor. The food was not too heavy or greasy like at Vega and had such a great menu full of variety. Our server, was not only attentive but was unbelievably helpful with suggestions and had a great attitude. I will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2013The restaurant was not crowded on an early Sunday afternoon. We sat in a private booth off of the bar. Service was fantastic. Good quality food in a very fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Love it!bebe2bebeDined on 6/17/20131st time here and this place is awesome! Food is so delicious and the service is excellent! Great place to enjoy a romantic dinner for two :-) definately coming back always! ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was so noisy that fourOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/23/2013it was so noisy that four of us in a booth couldn't hear each other. they also had music blaring to compound the noise problem. so don't go to visit with friends. The food and atmosphere is good, but wouldn't go back to visit with friends.Special Features:
- I won't be backedyrpVIPDined on 3/20/2013The restaurant itself was fine, but pricy for the type of food available. Our reservation was early in the evening and the restaurant was empty. I was told by the hostess to park in back and that when the valet arrived he would come to our tableand take my car key. The valet never came to my table. When we returned to our car,the valet SCREAMED at us repeatedly and said that no one at the restaurant told him any such thing, and that we must never do this again. Not a good way to round off the evening. I will not return to this restaurant. I dine out almost every night and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened.
- Oh my oh my Mr. Fred!Vail77VIPDined on 3/16/2013This was for sure our second and last time dining at Senor Fred. Our Mexican evening commenced forth being greeted by their hostess with a very bland personality. Next up were our two fish dishes that were sent back to the kitchen because it was simply horrible. So, after waiting another 15 minutes for our food we got another dish that was just as bad. By this time we just ate a little bit to curb our hunger. I understand that Chefs aren't always going to be perfect (just 99% of the time) but management should have stepped in and given us a discount or free drinks for the trouble. It was evident that management was non-existent that night. The only bright spot was the waitress who graciously tried her best to make us happy. Adios Mr. Fred!Special Features:
- Full disclosure: I am probablyitsbob826VIPDined on 1/18/2013Full disclosure: I am probably overrating this place but I just happen to like it. The food is solid, the waitresses are attractive and friendly, and sometimes that's enough.
- Need new hostess!LesthepressVIPDined on 1/12/2013Everything was great and we enjoyed our dining experience and will be back. The only negative was the hostess was cold, nasty and uncooperative. The manager and the waitress were both great though.Special Features:
- Unfortunately we had a poorOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/3/2013Unfortunately we had a poor experience. I like the rest. and hope that it was just an off night. Our waiter was outstanding and did his best. It seems that this place would rather sell margaritas than really good well executed mexican food.
- Not Your Typical Mexican RestaurantPaesanoDined on 1/3/2013Senor Fred is more high-end than you're typical, local Mexican restaurant. They have a great menu with an extensive drink menu -- as well as excellent margaritas. It's dark and moody inside with a great vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall average. Liked theOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/8/2012Overall average. Liked the extra hot salsa. The starter platter had thousand island dressing on it. Ribs were good. Most items were over fried and hard. The blended Cadillac margarita was not good, but the one one the rocks was. The chicken fajitas had a lot of oil on the vegetables, which were caramelized, not very crunchy. Lots of chicken. Felt a little rushed by our servers. Asked to take our food away a couple of times before we were finished. We were only halfway through our main course when were asked if we wanted to order dessert. Would be good if you were in a hurry to get somewhere else. It is very dark inside. Booths are nice and comfy. Nice fireplace. Expensive for what you get.Special Features:
- First time at the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012First time at the restaurant and I was super impress! Great food and very helpful servers. I will totally be coming back!Special Features:
- This was not the best experienceMaggieSaturdayNightDined on 10/27/2012This was not the best experience we've had at Senor Fred. For starters, we arrived with a reservation and were given a very small table crammed in with other diners. There were three booths open at the time, with other parties of two seated at booths. When I requested a booth, the hostess told me they were all "reserved". Additionally, the food was luke warm. Had we not been here before, we probably would not go there again.
- Great first date restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2012Excellent service, reserved table ready whenI arrived and was seated immediately, Service was great not rushed and not too intrusive also available when needed, Food was as ordered and very good..Special Features:
- The salad I ordered 60x beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2012The salad I ordered 60x before was best ever and my visiting friends loved the food, drinks and desserts.Special Features:
- Organic Margaritas!!!!!!butterflydotDined on 9/15/2012consistently good food and service. Too much noise to go with a first date...Great for a GIRLS NIGHT OUT!!!!!Special Features:
- I know it wasn't the faultOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012I know it wasn't the fault of our excellent embarrassed server but once again, my order came wrong at first. A corrected version was lightening fast. I am addicted to 3 things on the menu and they were particularly great this visit. My dining companion agreed and vows to return and order what he tasted of my order and the same desserts as well. I have been there about 80x and one thing is clear, they are good for groups of 2-4 and awful at groups of 6 or more. Every single time I go with a larger group, the orders do not come at the same time and at least half of them are wrong. That said, because they are good at small groups, I keep bringing new people here and they like it so much, they continue to come back and love it as much as I do.Special Features:
- The booths are very comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2012The booths are very comfortable and give you a private feeling. We like the atmosphere. Food is very tasty!Special Features:
- Our drinks were good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2012Our drinks were good. The food has gone downhill. We were very surprised because we have been going to Senior Freds since it opened. Out of four of us, three of us didn't think our dinner was very good, the fourth person had salad and was very happy (hard to mess up a vegetarian salad. In all honesty, it's hard to recommend Seneior Fred until the quality of the food improves. I don't even know that we will go back to try it again.
- Went here based on a friend'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2012Went here based on a friend's recommendation. While portions are large, I was underwhelmed with the food. It wasn't particularly authentic nor was it particularly original. It was just ho-hum Mexican. I'd probably skip this restaurant in the future.
- Lots of good food but very noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2012Huge selection of Margaritas. Food portions were large. Food quality and taste was good. Service was good but not exceptional. Noise levels were very high. When the place is busy/full, give up any idea of quiet conversation. We were sitting in a booth and I was right next to my friend, but still had repeat myself or shout a little to be heard.
- Not as good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2012A bit frustrating that my main dish order was wrong in two different ways but it took so long to get it, I didn't want to wait for it to be redone. Waiter confirmed that it was turned in correctly and he apologized for it but would have been better had it been done right. They also forgot to put the dressing on the salad for my dining partner and waiter brought it out. And they refused to make the dessert the way I've ordered it dozens of times previously and it was all wrong.
- Great service, food was so soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2012Four of us dined and only one of us really enjoyed our food. Great service though.Special Features:
- I am so sorry that the foodMellyVIPDined on 7/3/2012I am so sorry that the food isn't better because the service was excellent. I ordered their Chipotle Ribs which are $24. My dad also ordered an expensive dish, Seafood Combination which sounded great. Unfortunately the ribs were very dry and tough. The Seafood Combination with a Fish Taco, Shrimp Stuffed Rellenos and a crab dish was just ok. The other problem is that the restaurant is so dark. We won't be going back expecially after spending over $100.
- The service there is great!DJLisetteDined on 6/30/2012The service there is great! They took note of the fact that my boyfriend and I were celebrating our anniversary (we met there on our first date) and congratulated us. Their food there is also surprisingly really good....as well as their margaritas, of course :)Special Features:
- not much to say. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/24/2012not much to say. Food was avergage, service was average till night crew came in then it really improved. Place was empty for a Sunday afternoon.
- The restaurant has a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/23/2012The restaurant has a nice ambience and the service was pretty good. However, I found the menu to be a little pricey. I ordered baja style fish tacos and felt that the amount of fish that was in my tacos was on the light side.
- First time visit - won't beArtquestDined on 5/14/2012First time visit - won't be the last time. The crab enchiladas were awesome!Special Features:
- SO overpriced. Awful food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2012SO overpriced. Awful food. And was grossed out by B rating. Service was great though.
- Our waitress was excellent.DisappointedVIPDined on 4/28/2012Our waitress was excellent. The kitchen did not follow our waitress's order and the food had to be sent back. Too expensive for Mexican food.
- fun, private booths that keepOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2012fun, private booths that keep the sound to a minimum - if you're lucky, like we were, to get one.
- Extremely rude host. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2012Extremely rude host. Food was nothing special. Messed up both of our orders
- Great night with friends atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012Great night with friends at Sr. Fred's-- one drinks were about as much as the entrees but I suppose that's to be expected. Fun night! Waitress wasvery nice friendly and quite entertaining.Special Features:
- It's pretty nice but theyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012It's pretty nice but they stuck us outside in the freezing cold. They had a water leak that soaked our parties' dresses and messed up my shoes so they comped our guacamole and nothing else. The hostess was also pretty rude to us too and wouldn't even acknowledge us for a while
- The food is excellent. LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012The food is excellent. Love the decor! Unfortunately, they had trouble filling one order properly (and we were the only one's in the restaurant at the time). But, they did a fine job of fixing it without any problem.Special Features:
- Its a wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Its a wonderful restaurant anybody and everybody should check it out especially couples who want to have a nice romantic night out for a decent price for the phenomonal food they serve.Special Features: