Semilla Eatery and Bar
1330 Alton Rd.
Miami, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
Semilla Eatery and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://semillamiami.com/
- Phone: (305) 674-6522
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Gastro Pub, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Frederic Joulin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Semilla Eatery and Bar
Semilla Eatery and Bar is a modern gastro pub located on 1330 Alton road, dedicated to locals we offer affordable and high quality fare. Focus on organic and Florida grown fruit and vegetables, even our tap beers are exclusively from Florida. We offer a warm and friendly service and are open 7 nights a week from 6pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Semilla Eatery and Bar - Best Restaurants in Miami Beach / South Beach ›
Semilla Eatery and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (3)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Just mediocrePe85VIPDined on 10/18/2014Food was not good, 3 out of 4 guests did not like any of their food, service very disorganized although there were plenty of people coming to our table, server could not explain menu items, menu uses international ingredients but menu had misspellings, pisco sour was not even close........defeinetely needs major improvment
- Great staff & yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014We had a great experience at Semilla! The staff was so friendly and the food was amazing! The macaroon "burgers" for desert were especially fun! I also loved the pot stickers.Special Features:
- Poor meat quality. Pasta was bad.Wanting2gobacKDined on 9/26/2014Parking space is a disaster and the noise level was horrible. The size of the appetizer was almost invisible, too decorated but no quality. Looks more like a bar, not like a restaurant. Tables are to close to each other.Special Features:
- close at hand, will returnsagasaDined on 9/23/2014The best aspect of Semilla are the people. The owner and the staff were friendly and gracious and we could not have asked for better service. Miami is a tough town with a fair number of exceptional restaurants so while the food at Semilla was good, and the mix of food and service will ensure our return business, the food only garners 3 stars.Special Features:
- Food vs Bar sceneExcellentVIPDined on 9/19/2014We went on a Friday night after making a reservation through OT. Reservation was in but I could tell there was no table for us. We were seated at a tall table next to the bar which was ok. We shared excellent entrees: croquettes, burrata tomatoes, and scallops. The skirt steak was off target. Service was spotty -they didn't seem to have enough people that night. The 80s/90s music was awful loud, and the volume kept going up and down. I ordered a pisco sour that I returned as I wasn't sure what I got. Prices are OK considering it's South Beach. Overall is good but the place has not found a balance between the restaurant part and the bar scene they are also after. I like that the chef stopped by our table to say hello!Special Features:
- Great service, good foodshallowreefDined on 9/16/2014Service was excellent; attentive, but not over-bearing and well-paced. Diverse gastropub style menu. The bok choy, brussels sprout, as well as the apple and pear crumble were excellent. Other food items were very good, but not as memorable. Quiet, chic atmosphere with cutting board dining tables and quiet downtempo remixes of pop songs playing in the background. Recommended.Special Features:
- exceptional as alwaysmiachuckVIPDined on 9/8/2014a gem yet to be found by most - impressed by all menu items i have had over half dozen visits great spot on Alton (road constuction almost over) A Belgium friend who found while visiting - recommended i and rightfully soSpecial Features:
- No Open on SundaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014I made a reservation on Opentable for last Sunday. My reservation was for 6:45pm. Needless to say I showed up and guess what I find???? A CLOSED RESTAURANT!! Hey guys, maybe you can do us a favor and update your Opentable profile so that I don't have to go out of my way to try your restaurant that I've been dying to try and just to find that you are CLOSED on Sunday. You need to be on top of your marketing!! The only way I could rate you guys is by putting stars down...i'll guess i'll just presume everything was good.
- UnimpressedbebogazpachoVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our dinner on Friday was fine but nothing to write home about. I tried four dishes and the only one that stood out in my mind was the tempura Brussels sprouts. Everything else was just ok. The servers were nice enough but they were running around the place like they were trying to put out a fire. A few dishes took longer than expected to come out. We never got one glass of wine that we ordered. They did charges us for it and when I pointed that out it seemed to cause drama with the waitstaff. They did refund us the glass of wine but didn't handle it in the most professional manner.Special Features:
- Miami Spice menu was incredible!!!!jessy077Dined on 8/22/2014Boyfriend and I came here for the Miami spice special and it really was an incredible experience. The decor was modern and fresh, a bit industrial, and it looked spectacular. Our server was so very kind and happy to answer any questions we had about the food or wine selection. One of the most attentive servers we've ever had. The food was some of the best I've tasted as well. The lamb belly was so incredibly soft and not at all gamey. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for every occactionLoveFoodWineDined on 8/22/2014We love tapas, and Semilla menu is Awesome! Especially is you go during their Friday Happy Hour. You can try most of them for $6ea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never OpenedValerie765Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant wasn't answering the phone so we confirmed our reservation on OpenTable. Only to show up for our 6:45 to see the restaurant wasn't even open. The door clearly states- Open at 6 EVERYDAY. I don't know what happened but needless to say we went somewhere else and won't be recommending this restaurant or returning. Menu looked delicious though!Special Features:
- Great spot to eat super well.bemolDined on 8/16/2014A very attractive place to eat very well and light as the food is fresh and cooked a la "plancha". Very attentive service with a nice French welcome... Light and fresh change from heavy food!!! Can only recommend this place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasurePipe61Dined on 8/11/2014Don't let the outside fool you - this is a fabulous find! The decor is modern but laid back and the music they play is one of a kind outstanding!! Now to the food - they have small plates and large plates. My husband and I tried the goat cheese and bacon croquetas and the pork rillettes small plates (which we could have had seconds of the small plates) and then the scallops and salmon stir fry large plates. Seriously, we could have licked the plates they were all that good. Unfortunately they were out of the profiteroles for dessert so we opted for espresso. The service staff was very attentive and friendly! There is definitely construction on Alton Rd and you have to want to get there - but once you do you will not be disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than impressedLectaDined on 8/8/2014The food was unremarkable. Very bland. The service was extremely slow. Not the worst place in the world, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to my friends.
- Stumbled upon this placeRockyVIPDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I stumbled upon this place a few months ago while vacationing in SoBe and fell in love with it! Great ambiance, good scene and excellent food! Although there is a lot of construction going on around the building (Alton Road needed the construction badly), you wouldn't even know it once your step inside of this quaint place! We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 19 reviews are from the Semilla Eatery and Bar reviews archive.
- Always a nice experienceRomanoVIPDined on 4/18/2014Went back there with a group and had the same great experience as always. We let the chef decide what top serve us. He sent samples of his menu so we didn't all have to worry about ordering anything. It was perfect. Highly recommended place in South Beach.Special Features:
- Great nice out..JJGuyDined on 4/4/2014Really enjoyed everything about this place.. Not a tourist trap and the food was interesting and had some real amazing flavors going on. Met the owner who was making the rounds and overall this is a very solid and fun evening out in Miami.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks / Amazing FoodDaveDined on 3/14/2014From the moment we got there, the service was excellent. We had reservations for 9:30 and were seated right away. The bartender kept sending over a perfect mix of drinks; not too heavy and nothing watered down. We had the "Vermont Goat Cheese and Bacon Croquettas", as an appetizer, and they practically melt in your mouth. Our steaks were cooked perfectly: My Skirt Steak, medium and her Petit Filet Mignon, well-done. I had the "Brussels Sprout" as a side dish, recommended by our waiter, and that was also a hit. NOW, the dessert. We ordered the churros - bite sized and just like the croquettas, these also melt in your mouth. I'm getting hungry just writing this review. This was our first time there, but not the last. Excellent all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAmandaVIPDined on 2/16/2014Excluding their lack of oysters for the evening, my boyfriend and I had a wonderful & romantic dinner. The food was lively and delicious and it definitely added a memorable experience to our South Beach vacation. Will absolutely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Semilla isWiseCatDined on 2/7/2014I choose to try this restaurant because it was advertised as an organic place. As soon as I entered the space, I was enamored by the wall of fresh herbs and spices. The manager and employees of the restaurant were very attentive. The margarita my husband ordered was delicious. When the food arrived and we enjoyed it tremendously. My only critique is that the two salads we ordered were slaughtered with dressing, and I do not like dressing on my salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time on fridaysRomanoVIPDined on 1/31/2014Friday night was definitely a good night to be there. Good music, nice crowd and still the same amazing food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit hecticdingdongDined on 1/31/2014the overall vibe & staff were very helpful & friendly. Things took a while to get off the ground being busy & new. I think they coped very well under pressure. My New York Strip was very chewy but tasty the chicken portion (sate!!!!!) was rather small. the bar seemed to be snowed under so the drink service was a bit erratic. All in all I would choose to go there again but the tables for two are quite small & the noise level (they have a live DJ) was kind of at the maximum level to just about have a conversation this seems to be a South Beach thing but there will be an awful lot of deaf people in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check your billgeriDined on 1/31/2014Second time to this restaurant and we left with a sour taste in our mouths, and not because of the food. We went for their wonderful happy hour. We loved practically every dish on the HH menu. Well drinks were $6. Happy hour ended at 8. Service was lackadaisical, it wasn't easy getting our waiter to stop at our table. When we got out bill, 3 gin and tonics-requested just that way, were all of a sudden 3 Bombay g&ts at twice the price. Several appetizers were at full price and when questioned, we were told the computer automatically reverts to full price when happy hour is over. Well, it was just 8 then so we asked for our bill ahead of that time . Our bill was finally changed but none of that should have happened.Special Features:
- Great foodEabarcoDined on 1/26/2014We had the potstickers both short rib and BBQ rib which were amazing also had the salmon avocado tartare which was a must have after we had the New York strip which was perfectly cooked and tasted amazing totally a well rounded restaurant definitely coming back ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plancha festival...bemolDined on 1/25/2014Excellent Menu with outstanding quality ingredients in a very original decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alton Road winnerTrendingVIPDined on 1/18/2014A last minute decision to come to this Alton Road restaurant was a great choice. Located a couple of blocks past the Whole Foods on busy Alton Rd, It is easy to miss. Free but limited parking next door. A large tasteful interior with high ceilings, a central bar and great menu makes for a terrific neighborhood or casual dinner. Unlike the bass thumping background music of too many SoBe restaurants, a perfect background music selection accompanied dinner. Started with unctuous short rib gyoza. Solid mains, very nice service, and good vibe. Hope this place makes it.Special Features:
- Second try and still disappointingLuisVIPDined on 1/4/2014This was our second visit. First time we had a good time, although the food was lacking the service was attentive and the place had a really positive energy and elegant clientele. This restaurant is designed to serve small plates with some full sized (?) courses. priced in the high $20's which also come in small sized plates with no sides. All sides are extra. We decided to give it a second try. This one proved really disappointing. Other than the tomato and burrata salad everything else was truly unacceptable, including the service. There were even unavailable menu items and desserts. The ambience is still great, very nice clientele, unfortunately that is not enough to warrant a $175. tab for two. Won't be back.Special Features:
- ExcellentSabriDined on 1/1/2014We went twice because it's really the best in Miami Beach. The food is prepared in a very original way mixing tastes of asiatic, french cultures. It's a great taste experience. The way the food is served is accurate and elegant. The ambient is modern but warm. The service, great! I am not writing this comment because I am the owner but because I am a tourist coming from Italy and we love good food!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceRomanoVIPDined on 11/22/2013This place is really nice. The open kitchen is perfect to have dinner at the bar counter. Lots of creative tasty food, amazing cocktails and local beers. Definitely a place I will go back to regularly.Special Features:
- Nothing grows w/out a seed-SemillaMarieVIPDined on 11/20/2013Vibrant ambince with fantastic happy hour. Our service was impeccable from the bus boy to the waiter. Constant attention in bustling atmosphere. The kitchen is open to the diners view and prompt in getting food out. Impressed with our first time there. We had the short rib pot stickers, salmon and avocado salad, kale salad, Branzino and The Lamb Chops. All cooked to perfection. Their local beer choices are excellent. I am excited for this neighborhood gem bringing local organic fare and brews to Miami Beach. We have already made reservations for next week and cannot wait to try other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SemillaJferrVIPDined on 11/15/2013Food was very good. We shared a number of apps including the different potstickers which were great. Dessert was also excellent. The vibe is enjoyable though tables are way too close to one anotherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice AdditionBlissDined on 11/13/2013Semilla is a very nice addition to the Alton Road area. The design of the space is well done and attractive. The service is excellent and very customer friendly. My friends and I particularly liked the pot stickers and the salmon tartar. All the small plates we had were very good. It's a good place for a weekday night or weekend. I would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!PamelaVIPDined on 11/9/2013Great surprise on Alton Rd. Great ambience, eclectic food at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new and deliciousceceVIPDined on 11/1/2013good going, hope you do well on Alton!! Great food and ambience..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.