2416 West Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.selbarichmond.com/
- Phone: 8043582229
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Harik
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Selba has several room options for your event needs. Our Private Dining Room will accommodate up to 24 guests for a seated dinner and 30 for a standing reception. Our Garden Dining Room will accommodate up to 60 seated and 100 standing.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Boyd 8773864345
- Entertainment: Friday Night Live features live jazz and contemporary music every Friday from 10:00pm - 2:00am
- Special Events: We have two rooms that may be used for private or group events. Our Private Dining Room accommodates 15 - 30 guests, and our Garden dining area accommodates 40 - 100 guests.
A word from Selba
Food is important. It not only fuels our bodies, but also offers us pleasure and entertainment. The ability to taste is one of our basic senses, and enjoying a meal with family and friends is at the heart of every culture on earth. So food is important. It is a part of every day, keeping us going, bringing us joy and bringing us together. Selba's mission is to honor the food that we serve and the oldest of traditions…the meal. We promise to make it healthy and flavorful, and to serve you in an atmosphere that makes you comfortable and happy. Our menu features fresh, natural ingredients from local and regional farmers. We will tell you what is in the food you eat, and where it came from. In short, we believe that you should get to know your food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Selba reviews from OpenTable diners
- Closing?Luv2eatoutVIPDined on 5/18/2014I hear that this past Sunday was Selba's last day so it may not make sense to post reviews.Special Features:
- Kudos to the chefCritics2Dined on 5/17/2014Baked brie, lamb chops, scallops, and their accompanying sides were all delicious and attractively plated. Servers were friendly and attentive. Garden room was pleasant and chairs were very comfortable, but decorating was a mix of attractive greenhouse with hanging stained glass light fixtures and stark warehouse with cement floors and large visible HVAC ducts. TV was on (why?) and piano bar music was piped in through very low fidelity speakers. But we will definitely return, for the FOOD!Special Features:
- Great For Music LoversMadonnaDined on 5/15/2014This is a good setup for listening to music. Speakers are set up all around, and the crowd is responsive, yet also enjoying their own conversation. The food is above average. The service was somewhat spotty, but OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude Staff, But Food is ExcellentDanielaDined on 5/15/2014When reserving, we requested the back room - it is the main attraction for me. When we arrived, I expressed regret that we were not informed the room was not available; instead of acknowledgment (did not expect an apology), we were met a lecture and condescension; we go there often so others on the staff came to rescue us from this guy. The waitress was also unpleasant. We did not immediately decide on the food as our guests, who had just arrived from Paris, took a few minutes to understand the menu. After waiting 40 minutes, we searched the waitress to order. Normally, I have wine and three courses and order extra to take home; this time I ordered soup. Glad they are taking the summer off; with this staff they can take off indefinitely.Special Features:
- Fun time for group of fiveRVALocalDined on 5/14/2014The food was fantastic and the service was exceptional. I was impressed that the waiter knew the menu extremely well by memory. Off street parking is available and reservations were easily made.Special Features:
- Our Fan FavoriteMillieDined on 5/13/2014We have been here many times and are always pleased with the food and service. We entertained our granddaughter after completing an outstanding junior year at William and Mary. Great outing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Our experience was very good overall but we wished the piano player had kept playing throughout our meal. Our reservations were at 1:30 (the earliest we could get with a month and a half notice) and the piano player stopped about 15 minutes after we sat down. We were all disappointed as my girlfriend had heard him play before and talked him up to all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchrideanddineDined on 5/11/2014Excellent food, service and ambience. Would definitely recommend to anyone. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happen UponLuv2travelVIPDined on 5/10/2014This restaurant is after what is restaurant row in Cary town and can be easily missed. But once you come upon it, you realize you found a great place. The menu has a lot of unique items. The vegetarian option was excellent and the wine list superb as it allowed us to try some different wines that we had not had before. Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrishDined on 5/10/2014People and food were great, would definitely go again and recommend to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightAml3el2Dined on 5/7/2014We really loved dining at Selba, as we had been there before for brunch but had yet to try dinner. We were not disappointed! I ordered a medium filet mignon, and my boyfriend ordered a medium rare filet mignon- and we were very pleased that when the steaks arrived both were cooked to perfection. Many times you can order steak just as we did, and they both come out looking exactly the same. This was not the case at Selba. The food was delicious, the cocktails were refreshing, and dessert was yummy too. Our server was very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great servicekcolleenDined on 5/6/2014We weren't the easiest customers and our server and even the others there were very kind and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experience!karamarie101Dined on 5/4/2014I bought their groupon amd went in for brunch with my mom and the atmosphere is really cool and relaxing. We were greeted by a warm welcome and they were very personal. The bar looks awesome and they have this outdoor/indoor area where u can eat which is really nice when its gorgeous outside. I got the crab cake Benedict and it was delicious! I Definitely will go back again and try lunch or dinner. I recommend it for anyone to try. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Selba is great!KBF1Dined on 5/3/2014My husband and I enjoyed our first time eating at Selba. Food was delicious. A great find in Richmond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Go BackclinewaltDined on 5/3/2014Selba was recommended for Brunch but we bought a Groupon and went for dinner with another couple. The service was excellent from the moment we walked in the door. The menu was different but not intimidating and we struggled to make our choices since everything sounded so good. Our selections did not disappoint. The atmosphere is comfortable and there is neat seating in an Atrium. Additionally they have a separate room that would be wonderful for a small group party - work, wedding, birthday etc... Selba is also not too loud which is a welcome change and necessary for the dynamics of some groups of people.Special Features:
- Always pleases!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/29/2014This was pur third visit to Selba. Every time they've been great! Love the craft cocktail list, always interesting to start out a meal with an interesting cocktail, something adventurous you wouldn't/couldn't make at home. Who keeps habanero simple syrup on hand! Food was excellent as well, portions are generous, always end up taking food home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014Met a friend. Selba's food, fabulous. The ambience wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Selba is great...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2014Though I felt it was a little stiff in the brunch atmosphere. We loved the food and service was great, but we quickly learned this is where Sunday church crowd comes for brunch not really Sunday funday brunch people. Just something to keep in mind when having a Richmond outting for those without kids or under 30! Otherwise nice setup and informed staff who seem to appreciate where they work which are good signs of a well ran business so cheers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night funGlm804Dined on 4/26/2014Stopped in for appetizers and dessert after a show. Food and service were great. It's a cool space. Funky/jazz band was awesome. Eclectic group of folks hanging out at the bar. Wasn't thrilled to see a smoking lounge, but couldn't smell it.Special Features:
- A Tropical Oasis in the Fan2TasteBudsDined on 4/26/2014Going to Selba can be like experiencing two different restaurants: the front room has more of a "traditional" atmosphere while the back room is like being in a tropical oasis (although the "patio type" chairs are somewhat uncomfortable). The food choices are unique, delicious and well-priced. There's usually a piano player which is a really nice touch. Great service and free valet parking. A good choice to anyone looking for somewhere to go to dinner (we've heard their brunch is great but have never gone).Special Features:
- Selba always pleasesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We live near Selba and have never been disappointed. Friendly, courteous and professional service and the food is fairly priced and never lets us down.Special Features:
- Amazing food, need more staffJCJCDined on 4/25/2014Everything we ordered was incredible. Our waiter could not have been more polite, helpful or knowledgeable…nor run more ragged trying to keep up with all his tables. Our party of 2 was there for more than 2 hours and not because we wanted to be. If you've got the time for a leisurely dine, I would highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014First time at Selba this past Friday evening and we were very impressed! Free valet parking is a plus! The interior of the restaurant is very attractive and arty! Extensive menu had lots of gluten-free and vegetarian options which is always appreciated. We five were all happy with our dinner choices and enjoyed the meal very much. We will definitely come back to try other things and times of day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top-10 RVA restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2014Delicious food and the rain forest room is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent place for a night outlymanDined on 4/17/2014Great wine and beer list, fantastic menu and staff, and a great local jazzy blues band playing the night we visited. Cannot go wrong with Selba's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2014Love this place - great food, great staff, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Potato BiscuitsellebeervaDined on 4/13/2014You should get them. Go to brunch and just get those sweet potato biscuits. Dinner is good, too, but we really liked brunch best.Special Features:
- Great Night OutBradDined on 4/10/2014Second time at Selba and we were not disappointed with the food. The service was a little lacking as the young lady seemed to be having a hard night. Will return but hope for the same service we had on the first visit. We recommend the apple berry cobbler for dessert!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- We enjoyed the food and servicelkgallDined on 4/9/2014We enjoyed the food and service and they had a decently priced wine list. They had a three piece band playing great music but as we were seated somewhat close to them, it was a bit loud and we could not hear our conversation.
- Gluten Free Menu is outstanding!PattiDined on 4/3/2014The best gluten free offerings I've found in Richmond. We had diners with us that didn't have to eat gluten free and had the same thing we had and they loved it. The GF Bread Pudding was the bomb! Wonderful food! It did get a bit loud around 8:00PM when the band started playing however we were warned about it. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tables to closeOreosDined on 4/2/2014We went here for our wedding aniversay. Very nice but a little pricey to go every week but great for special occasion. Tables were a little close, conversations of other folks were heard by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteWholePackageDined on 3/30/2014Selba is one of our main go to places in Richmond. Plenty of gluten fre options for me, outstanding service, warm ambiance and delicious food! Eating in the garden room is a special treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014The food and service were excellent. However, I had a reservation and waited 20 minutes to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Places for Dining in RichmodMillieDined on 3/22/2014We enjoy dining at Selba's. Their food is always great and we have recommended them to many friends. This is our restaurant of choice when taking guests out to dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceCherDined on 3/21/2014I loved this restaurant. The staff was attentive. The food was excellent. The warm salmon spread appetizer was fantastic and came with more than enough pieces of pita - a pet peeve of mine is having lots of spread left and no more bread - for some reason a very common occurrence. The entrees were artfully presented and large portions, also very good. Many desserts were made in house. We shared a citrus baklava with house made ice cream which was great. The garden room is really lovely and there was a piano player playing very nice background music. It is rare to find live music in Richmond restaurants especially early evening ( our reservation was for 6:30. I was thrilled to find this restaurant and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Inside was larger than I expected,CaliDined on 3/15/2014Inside was larger than I expected, with a breezy open feel, contemporary and upscale, while still comfortable. The service was impeccable throughout the meal, and the meal itself was exactly what I'd hoped for; fresh, well prepared, flavorful. Mushroom Tart and Pear Salad were enjoyed by all. I had the Pork Tenderloin which I am very much looking forward to finishing tonight (though heating it up will ruin their perfect cook). The Apple-Berry Cobbler w/Salted Caramel Ice Cream was a guilt-laden, but enjoyable finish. I appreciate the farm to table philosophy and local sourcing, and the clearly marked vegetarian and gluten free options were nice. I'll definitely look Selba up again when I'm in Richmond.Special Features:
- I think we tried everything?!JoJoVIPDined on 3/12/2014Selba was a great choice for our diverse party of 5. We started with the flatbreads and knew we were in for a good meal! All dishes, from shrimp and grits, to seared scallops, to short rib, to the surprisingly delicious quinoa cakes (seriously, my favorite dish) were very well done, well portioned, and tasty. The restaurant was busy but not crowded, and didn't get oppressively loud until the jazz trio showed up. Best experience we had while in Richmond (party of 5 was from San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago, and Portland - so, eaters!). Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2014We celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary with brunch at Selba. The food was delicious and the garden like setting was peaceful. The restaurant is beautifully designed/decorated, the service is superb, and we are excited to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Organic Fine DiningCRPomoryDined on 3/8/2014Best health-conscious place in RVA - no better option!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale feel w/ reasonable pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2014Upscale and trendy feel in the front from and "greenhouse" dining room in the back with lots of windows and greenery. The "greenhouse" is nice but not as fancy-feeling as the front room; we were left wondering why they didn't seat us in the upscale section. Most of the food was good- 7 out of 10 for the entrees. Scallops over rice and filet w/ fried oysters & potatoes. Oysters were great, steak was a v. good med-rare. Mac & cheese & bok choy sides were blah, but baked Brie appetizer was amazing. Location is not a good walking scene. Best part was the $35 Groupon covered $85 of food for us! If looking for romantic, ask for front room. If looking for impressive fine dining, go elsewhere, but I would expect an attractive bar scene after 9pm.I would recommend this to a friend.