Selanne Steak Tavern
1464 South Coast Hwy
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Selanne Steak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.selannesteaktavern.com/
- Phone: (949) 715-9881
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (Kitched closes at 9:30PM) ; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am (Kitched closed at 10:00PM)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Joshua Severson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is coming soon!
- Private Party Facilities: Indoor and outdoor private dining for groups up to 50 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Shumate 9497159881
- Entertainment: Please call the restaurant for any entertainment offerings.
A word from Selanne Steak Tavern
Selanne Steak Tavern, owned by Anaheim Duck great Teemu Selanne and located in a quaint, historical building built in 1934, features an upscale casual neighborhood tavern and a traditional steakhouse. In addition to the best steaks in Orange County, the Tavern offers great burgers, small plates, salads and appetizers as well as an extensive wine list, great specialty cocktails and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Selanne Steak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Laguna Beach ›
Selanne Steak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (152)romantic (111)fit for foodies (106)great for outdoor dining (88)neighborhood gem (77)notable wine list (70)vibrant bar scene (67)hot spot (64)good for groups (46)scenic view (15)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)Show More
- Amazing steakhouse!sarahyeehaVIPDined on 11/22/2014Food is on point, our ribeye steaks were buttery and amazing! Ambience was lovely but it was very loud inside. I was sorely disappointed that they sat us near the bar. It was way too loud and killed the romantic mood setting I envisioned for our anniversary. Next time, I will request a table in the patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place never dissapoints...PhillipDined on 11/22/2014I chose Selannes Steak Tavern as the perfect place to celebrate our 1 year anniversary and it definitely did not disappoint but that's par for the course here. The food is always excellent, the ambiance is perfect (not too loud and not to quiet/stale) and the service was above and beyond and the wait staff rally went out of their way to make our special occasion that much more special. We will definitely be back being that this has easily become our favorite steak destination since it first opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Score!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2014This place rocks! Great food, great vibe, great service! Pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but NOISY if near barOCEricVIPDined on 11/21/2014Steak and sides were execellent. However, if they sit you anywhere near the bar, and you have any intention of being able to talk to the people at your table, forget about it. Low ceilings, hardwood floors, and vibrant bar scene make for a real racket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, fun, full flavored food.ADR61Dined on 11/21/2014We celebrated our 21st Wedding Anniversary. We had a GREAT time. Very cozy and quaint. Just the way we wanted. We were first seated at a table in the bar which was too loud. The hosted took NO time to relocate us to a very nice, quite, cozy place by the fine place. it was perfect and she did it with such grace and charm. it made us feel so welcome and that they truly cared about our experience. Interesting menu that was full flavor and did NOT disappoint. Excellent service. Our waiter was Demitri (he was great a charming), however there seemed to be a team working on our table. EVERYONE was so nice and attentive. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic getaway!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014We LOVED our night at Selanne Steak Tavern! We both agree this was the best meal we'd ever had. VERY pricey but every single bite was worth it!! We came to celebrate our marriage and will come back every year to celebrate our anniversary! The wait staff were unbelievable and we can't wait to come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaukkaMaukkaDined on 11/18/2014Filet mignon was so tasty! Juice, but not bloody. Went to my top3 steak list! Highly recommended. Service was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceJenn91709Dined on 11/15/2014This place is amazing. Love the relaxed feel. Food was excellent. Only complaint was that are sides came out after we had already finished our main course. I would go back 1000 times no matter what.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014Great food and drinks and servers were exceptional. Ambiance not so much... We were seated next to another two person party on the patio with only one other table filled. Between overhearing all other conversations and fire trucks, cars going down the street behind us, it wasn't the romantic evening we thought it would be. We're such a fan of Teemu but this just wasn't what we expected. Didn't know why we were seated outside when there were plenty of tables inside. We actually never even saw the inside of the restaurant. Maybe next time...Special Features:
- ExcellentwinedinesixtynineDined on 11/2/2014The entire experience was excellent. We went for the signature dishes and were extremely impressed and tell everyone about it. The wine list was excellent and so was the service. I would highly recommend this gem of a restaurant. Thank you chef! (and staff)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful changeduckeaterDined on 11/2/2014Excellent food and service. Spacious interior is airy and light. We were seated outside in the covered patio which is also lovely and probably quieter.Special Features:
- Tried to like itSuburbanogreDined on 11/2/2014My wife and I were disappointed--but we wanted to like it. We had dinner on a Sunday evening. The bar was loud but not overly so. Initial service was a bit slow, but came back up to par once we ordered drinks. The drinks were very good, the starters and the salads also excellent. Unfortunately, the steaks were subpar. We had a New York strip and the bison (special). Both were cooked exactly to order. Sadly, they were each virtually tasteless, and the NY strip on the tough side. Trying to be kind, maybe it was what was left in the reach-in Sunday, but, for us, not worth the evening. The meal was certainly not worthy of the excellent bottle of wine we chose. Selanne does not go into the "do again" column of our dining score sheet.Special Features:
- NOT A GOOD TIMEOCDINERVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was average. I was seated outside in a tent on a hard wooden fold up chair, was not given an option of inside or out. The gentlemen sitting next to me almost coughed up a lung. We were seated side by side, which I don't care for, no booth or table, no privacy. The lone bright spot was the service, Vito was great! Won't be back.
- Anniversary mealAnniversarydinnerDined on 11/1/2014Cosy surroundings with attentive staff. Food was well presented & arrived quickly. Valet parking a huge plus considering the neighbourhood & the after dinner mints left on the dashboard a nice finishing touch. Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I took my best friend to dinner at Selanne Steak Tavern to celebrate her 65th birthday. She and I have been long time Ducks fans and wanted to celebrate eating there. The food was excellent, but a little pricey. Didn't expect to spend $265 for three people to eat dinner, especially since none of us drink. I was looking forward to seeing Teemu, but unfortunately he didn't show up at least not while we were there. We had a 5:30 reservation and they took up right away, but had to leave because the noise at the bar got a disturbing. The price of $6 to valet the car was a bit steep as well. Enjoyed the night, but don't think I will be going back anytime in the near future.Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The food and service was very good. The only complaint is it is a little expensive.Special Features:
- Great service and food!AdripopDined on 10/30/2014Our server Miguel went above and beyond to make it a great experience! The food plate, filet mignon, and Mac n cheese were so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Overall ExperienceRickLDined on 10/26/2014I'll admit...I was hesitant to try this place, as many professional athletes use their name to draw business to a food establishment, hoping that would be enough to make it successful. And most are only okay, at best. Selanne's was a standout. I've read negative reviews on this place and highly recommend folks give it a second try. Being new at the time, I'm sure there were kinks to work out and they have. Our steaks were outstanding...the baby carrots were sweet and incredible...and the Mac n' Cheese flavorful and delicious. The Monkey Bread was a wonderful (and recommended) way to end the evening. I am definitely returning because there is so much yet to try! BTW - Teemu was in the house, took a pic, and chatted with us for 10 minutes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING ALL AROUND!fitfoodieDined on 10/25/2014This was our first visit to Selannes and we were thoroughly impressed! Service was over the top and the food was equally as great. Perfect place for date night and/or celebrating a special occasion. It will be a place we will definitely go back to......again and again! Everything the server recommended was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic SteaksDanishNewYearDined on 10/25/2014Selanne Steak Tavern did a wonderful job from start to finish for our anniversary dinner. We were greeted by the friendly hostess staff right away. We were a bit early so had drinks in the large and active bar area. The hostess came and found us right on time for our 8:00 reservation. Our waiter, Jared, guided us through the menu - everything looks so good it's hard to pick. I had a rich diver scallop starter that was perfectly cooked and delicious. My wife loved the beet 'ravioli' salad. The Lord Stanley steak is incredible. It's Wagyu, so might be a little fatty for some, but one of the best steaks ever in my opinion. We even got to chat with Teemu - very special evening!Special Features:
- Beautiful RestaurantYummyVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful time on the front patio, the evening was cool enough to dine outside and the white Moroccan lanterns create a lovely space! The food is outstanding and service was impeccable. I enjoyed the Wagyu Skirt Steak and my friends had the Duck and Ribeye, all meals were exceptional! We shared the risotto, yams and asparagus and I would recommend all three! Our server Jesse offered an excellent knowledge of the menu, cocktails and wine list~ ask for him! The bar was thriving and full when we finished dinner so if you would like a quiet dinner request to sit outside.Special Features:
- GREAT...but don't eat outside!OnceisenoughVIPDined on 10/25/2014We love Selanne's. It's one of our favorite restaurants. This time we were seated outside which we won't do again. The outside area is located by Coast Hwy so it's loud. And the sun, no matter where you sit, is going to hit someone in your party in the eyes when it sets. They have put in shading but it's really not enough. You pay top dollar to eat here and the outside area just is not worthy of the prices. The food and service are top notch....just choose to dine inside in their beautifully decorated space!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We love the setting and ambiance, but the food was uninspired. It seemed like the head chef was out for the evening???? Next time we'll treat dining there like a pub and stick to a burger and fries instead of a $900 tab for a party of 6.Special Features:
- Great Place!lkwjehglakjhagDined on 10/24/2014First visit here, and it was great. I highly recommend it! It's a little pricey - but well worth it. Try the scallops!Special Features:
- Top 3 Best Dinners of All-TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014I cannot say enough about what a wonderful and memorable experience we had. Every detail and staff member from the moment we were greeted to when we departed was beyond phenomenal. The food was amazing - savory, delectable, and so flavorful. Selanne's place is the perfect reflection of him and his character; impeccable class-act. We will definitely be back in the near future!Special Features:
- Lobster bustekbuddDined on 10/22/2014The waitress was great. It was wife's birthday. She suggested the 2 lb lobster. She claimed the chef did some amazing way of pre-pairing it. It was amazing alright. Bad Bad Bad. The 2 lb blob came in its shell in what could only be described as a vat of butter and water juice. Worst lobster we have ever had. I on the other hand had a bison steak that was one of the best steaks I have ever had! I would recommend Teamue's, just don't order the soggy lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerFood4LifeDined on 10/21/2014My wife had a great experience for her birthday. Staff of restaurant were all great from the valet telling my wife happy birthday to the chef making a special souffle cake for our celebration. Waiter was great and offered recommendations amongst menu items that were spot on. Minor issues with wine and meat selection for a steak house in this price range.Special Features:
- near perfectiontracyDined on 10/19/2014The food is always fantastic, service better than the normal. Not your average steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuisaDined on 10/19/20141sr time at Selanne's. We were seated in the Tavern area (bar) where they seated parties of 2. Vibrant bar scene as it got closer to 6 pm. Duck game was on the tv. After dinner we walked around the restaurant. Since it is in what once was a very old home, there are many separate rooms of the restaurant - very nice!!! There are 2 separate rooms upstairs. Good for groups but we also saw just 2 people at tables. If we go again (which we will), I will call and request a table upstairs as it is quieter and more suitable for a special occasion (which our time there was not).Special Features:
- SuperbDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/19/2014This was my first time here and I must say the staff know how to treat a guest. The food was delectable and prepared just the way I like it. The atmosphere and ambiance was gorgeous. They even brought out a macaron with a candle in it for my daughters birthday. The valet left chocolate mints on the dashboard of my car. Very professional and courteous.Special Features:
- Expensive but worth itGoodTimeCharleyDined on 10/18/2014Great spot and great food. We ate upstairs outside and it was just great. This was our second time there and not our last. See you in a few weeks. Thanks for making it a special night. Love you guys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014If your looking for very good steak than this is the place to go in Laguna Beach,CASpecial Features:
- KeensVIPDined on 10/16/2014A bit pricey, but the food delivers every time with flavor and creativity!Special Features:
- Worth visitingSacoDined on 10/16/2014Service is excellent, the food has high standard. Two of our party ordered steaks that were cooked to perfection, and the steakes were of equal size. The tavern has many rooms, all different, yet cozy. The bar area is welcoming. The outside area is beautiful with a fireplace. The menu has not very many options, but still offers a good selection of dishes, fish, meat and soups. The complimentary sellery soup that was served at the beginning of our meal was truly the best soup I've ever had ! The price range might scare one off at first, and yes, it's not cheap, but at least our food was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ra1954Dined on 10/15/2014This was our 2nd time at Selanne's and once again the service and food were outstanding. First time we sat outside and we enjoyed that while this time we were near the bar area but the noise was limited this night. It definitely is costly but well worth it for that special occasion. They have a great service team where everyone is helping each other. Looking forward to my next trip and hopefully we get to show up when Teemu is there to add to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Teemu's Steak TavernGooseDined on 10/12/2014The dining experience was outstanding! Not the cheapest place but food, service and ambiance was well worth the price. I would definitely visit The Tavern again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Steak House!cshockeyDined on 10/11/2014One of the best meals I've ever had. I went there with 3 of my friends for my birthday celebration. We got the "Lord Stanley cut", the filet mignon and the salmon. The steak was amazing and melted in your mouth. The Mac n cheese was incredible. It was so good it was like eating dessert! Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Rooftop diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/11/2014What a great find! We were seated on the rooftop where there were only 2 tables. Our children enjoyed being able to move around and the view was beautiful. The wait staff was very attentive. The menu is extensive. The side dishes are unique and our meals were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad first impressionDisappointedVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was my first visit. We went to celebrate my birthday and I noted that on my Open Table reservation. The table they gave us was not in a desirable location and they would not move us to a nicer table when we asked. My steak was served to me twice and neither time was cooked properly. We brought our own wine and except for one pour (not the first one of either bottle), we had to pour our own wine all night since the server never bothered, nor was around much. For a place where the prices are extremely high (over-priced), the customer service was horrible. I do not expect I will go back, again. Instead, I will go to places that appreciated our business and show it and do not gouge us for our meal.
- Not for a romantic mealSinceyouaskedDined on 10/9/2014As a Finn and a huge hockey buff visiting SoCal, this restaurant was my number one choice for our belated anniversary dinner. Though the restaurant had plenty of empty seating, we got seated in the bar area. To add insult to injury we were seated next to window overlooking the lovely patio with empty tables. The bar was very noisy making conversation with my husband tough so most of the evening I was listening people flirting with each other trying to score a date for the night. This was not exactly what I would consider a romantic evening. The only bright spots of the night were the food and the service. The scallops and the buffalo steak were divine and the server recommended wines complemented the food perfectly.Special Features: