Sel et Poivre Restaurant
853 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Sel et Poivre Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seletpoivrenyc.com/
- Phone: 2125175780
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Wild Game, French
- Executive Chef: Christian Schienle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater to all events please call for more information and ask for Christian.
A word from Sel et Poivre Restaurant
Welcome to Sel et Poivre Restaurant a classic french Bistro located on the upper east side and serving the neighborhood for 24 for years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sel et Poivre Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)great for lunch (14)romantic (11)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (9)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (5)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Noisy, crowded, understaffed.ktarVIPDined on 10/21/2014Sat for 10+ min w/o being offered water, a drink. Had to flag down a waiter. Service very scattered, inattentive. Food ok. Place too crowded. Need to stagger tables so diners and staff can navigate.
- jkmmdmjaVIPDined on 10/21/2014THe restaurant is friendly, the food is very good and nicely prepared--a bit overpriced. The waiter was friendly but not too caring.Special Features:
- Something wrongHawkDined on 10/21/2014Have had good dinner there, but this lunch was poor. The French onion soup had no body, virtually no taste and was not hot. It took an inordinate amount of time to get a hamburger. The meat quality was good. The bun did not work with a hamburger, regardless of quality.
- So-sotheplatoguyVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have dined here 8 or 10 times in the past year, usually at lunch. This was a dinner and, while the service was very good, the entrees - roast chicken and cassoulet - were only good. The chicken my friend had was so bland that she added salt; the cassoulet had been over-heated and didn't seem freshly made.
- Great French cookingbigwiz46VIPDined on 10/17/2014Loved everything we ordered. There were three in our party, all had appetizers and dinner, we shared a desser. We all tasted everything and agreed it was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cut above...UncleBernieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Such a pleasure to find a good, reasonable place. We were six, and everyone enjoyed his meal. The Thursday special was a pot-au-feu, and it was outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/7/2014We had good food and good service, for a reasonable price. I would return and suggest the restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jkmmdmjaVIPDined on 9/30/2014Food was exquisite and attractive. Service was passive and not terribly caring. Cost was too high.Special Features:
- Consistently WonderfulJasonDined on 9/19/2014Amazing service that makes you feel like part of the family and food that never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014Always a reliable, friendly restaurant with good food, atmosphere. Good neighborhood place after a busy day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet but food quality uneveneatandtalkDined on 8/28/2014We wanted a place for a good dinner plus a noise level that would allow conversation. The noise level was fine, but only one of us really enjoyed the food. The "sliced steak" turned out to be a plate large, very thin but mostly tender piece of beef ordered medium rare: it came well-done and I sent it back. The waiter explained the difficulty of cooking such a thin piece of meat!!!!The second version was as ordered. But I had expected (as I have had before) several pieces of meat sliced on the diagonal. The green bean salad was great and my friend loved the chicken. Service was pleasant and the food more than passable, but we had much better luck with our other restaurant choices.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/12/2014The restaurant manager is great and he does everything there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice and retrodoctor1VIPDined on 8/11/2014This is the way it was in NYC in the 50s! Pleasant enough for lunch with good enough food and a great location (near Bloomies).
- Neighborhood GemDiningDivaDined on 8/9/2014Sel et Poivre is a Lexington Avenue gem. The food was tastefully prepared, with ample portions. (Enough to take home for tomorrow's lunch). French Onion Soup (my appetizer)was classically prepared and delicious.My main dish of chicken in a mushroom sauce was tender and cooked perfectly. The service was attentive. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- Simple done well!scottyVIPDined on 8/3/2014Love that this place is in the neighborhood. The menu is not huge but what they have is done perfectly! Right down to the bread and butter that comes to the table. It is without question the best in NYC. Had the Grilled Chicken Sandwich... again simple straight forward and yet tastes better than average. Go and enjoy... you'll be glad you did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unpleasant experience1344Dined on 7/19/2014The food was mediocre to poor and presented without any care. The service, however, ruined the evening - inattentive and couldn't care less. We felt "ripped off" - it was not inexpensive. They just don't seem to care. They've been around for a long time. Why? I have no idea.
- filippo47VIPDined on 7/16/2014Always consistently good, home away from home. Great service, interesting menu, wonderful ambiance. Great job!Special Features:
- The following 67 reviews are from the Sel et Poivre Restaurant reviews archive.
- My NIght OUtHennyVIPDined on 6/12/2014I was surprised that it was so reasonable, that we got a delightful table immediately and that no one was on us to hurry to buy drinks. In fact when we all decided we wanted a bottle of wine, we had to ask for the waiter. The food was good and the ambience very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic bistrovegetarianVIPDined on 6/11/2014Good food with lots of items I'd like to order, classic, well-prepared bistro items. Pleasant, friendly service. We ate dinner at an early hour, before going to a play and enjoyed a leisurely pace. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less is moreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2014The food here is good enough, though not inspiring, and the service is attentive. But the crowding together of tables makes for an excessive noise level that defeats any attempt to relax with dining companions. Not somewhere I'd want to go back to.
- Neighborhood gemARR3VIPDined on 6/6/2014Great food and service. Always a treat. We have eaten here several times and each time has been very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArnieMVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great dinner for four of us before a show. Food and service were good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and satisfying bistro food.MediamanDined on 6/6/2014Duck l'orange, cassoulet, steak frites, everything you'd expect from a French bistro and more. Pleasant service, nice atmosphere. Lovely for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable Prix FixeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/26/2014Prix Fixe dinner around $30. Good duck pate and pear sorbet. Entrees were fine.Special Features:
- ReliableDennyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Good, reliable, standard French fare. Nothing exciting, but perfect for ordinary dining. Reasonably priced, with food nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT TIMESashaVIPDined on 5/1/2014WONDERFUL FOR DINNER WITH FRIENDS. SERVICE WAS WONDERFUL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming.DetailsCountDined on 4/30/2014The owner and the waiters were most gracious. It was my first visit to the restaurant. Food was excellent. I would highly recommend on all counts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute French bistrotwofoodiesDined on 4/25/2014We had a play to go to in this part of town and so tried out this nearby French bistro. It was pleasantly quaint, with a menu that featured all the great French classics: duck a l'orange, steak frites, French onion soup, fois gras etc. and also a traditional, well-priced prix fixe. We went for this option and had a very enjoyable meal of well cooked standards: duck terrine, portobello mushroom soup, steak frites, pork chops, chocolate terrine and profiteroles, plus some decent Californian wine. Nothing outstanding, but good food at a very reasonable price in an enjoyable environment. The service was friendly and attentive too.Special Features:
- Awersome place !!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Food was delicious!!! The restaurant was very beautiful. Had a great time for a ten year anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going backOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2014We had not been there for a long time and wondered why. It was great and we plan to return.Special Features:
- AbbyDined on 4/15/2014Nice place people are friendly food is good I'll recommend it to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Great food and wine.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2014This place is adorable, with a great menu, that's very classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindJaneDined on 4/10/2014My friends and I visited Sel et Poivre for the first time this week. The maître d' and waiters were very accommodating and the food was delicious, not to mention the Irish Coffee! If back in the neighborhood we will be sure to stop in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2014I've been there twice. The restaurant aesthetically could be brightened up. The first time was with a group of 8. Service, etc. was excellent. The other time I went with a friend. Again, food & service left nothing to be desired.Special Features:
- This lovely little FrenchdsgnchickVIPDined on 3/28/2014This lovely little French bistro has been in the neighborhood forever. The food is consistently good, and they do a good job of all the traditional French dishes. Friday special cassoulet is worth a visit, and there is a nice wine list too (very good and well priced Coppola cabernet)Special Features:
- Continuing Service ProblemstheplatoguyVIPDined on 3/26/2014I dine here several times per month. Pleasant ambience, good to very good food. But the service is not very good - as I reported here a month ago - and not getting better. This time it was separate waiters asking the same questions several times. Apparently no one waiter was assigned and responsible for the table. They themselves were not very professional, more like upgraded servers (who deliver food ordered) than waiters.
- Legit BistroCrimsonPreppyDined on 3/19/2014Great martini in its icy thermos, good tomato salad (for this time of year), veal kidneys (where do you find those now that Gino's is gone?), good bread, cheerful service. The usual great service, professional waiter (no "I'm Stacy and I'll be your server tonight" stuff). If it hadn't been for the vulgar Italian on his cellphone at the bar, it would have been perfect.
- neighborhood FrenchStephenVIPDined on 3/18/2014Sel et Poivre is a neighborhood boite. Food is OK+, service is fine, usuall;y quiet, no surprises. Would not go out of one's way to get there, but if in the neighborhood, need a plesant and quiet place for lunch or dinner, with reasonably good food at reasonable price, it's fine.Special Features:
- Just OKnononsenseDined on 3/15/2014We have been there three times, once a year. Last few years were better. This year it wasn't too good, food or service.
- Good food, but inattentive servicetheplatoguyVIPDined on 3/6/2014I eat here once a month on average and, although I like the ambiance and the food, but have found inattentive service at recent lunches. One long-term server is friendly, but neither he nor anyone else pays attention to customers who are hoping to order a glass of wine (this has happened to me twice in the last month) or waiting to give a dessert order on the prix fixe menu.I would recommend this to a friend.