Sel de la Terre - Back Bay
774 Boylston St.
Boston, MA 02199Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Sel de la Terre - Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seldelaterre.com/
- Phone: 6172668800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Café & Bar Menu: 4pm-12am Sun.-Thurs., until 1am Fri.-Sat.
Bar open until 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Daniel Bojorquez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Soleil Catering brings the same dedication to excellence in cuisine and service that our guests at Sel de la Terre and L’Espalier have grown to know and love. From the rustic simplicity of Sel de la Terre’s cuisine to the lavish opulence of L’Espalier’s modern New England-French cuisine, Au Soleil presents a variety of options to suit every style of event. Call us at 617-535-6040 or visit www.ausoleilcatering.com for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room for parties up to 40 guests. We can accommodate all party sizes in the main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Julie Parks 617-535-6040
- Special Events: Beer Tuesdays
Every Tuesday at 7pm. 4 courses - 4 beers - $44. Every Tuesday, guests are treated to a selection of beers inspired by changing seasons, regions, or breweries paired with a four-course tasting menu composed of rustic French cuisine. Guests are seated at the bar while resident beer expert, Seth Mandeville leads an engaging, informal talk on the bee
A word from Sel de la Terre - Back Bay
Sel de la Terre offers the rustic country fare of Provence & surrounding Southern France. Fresh local bounty is the motivation behind our creative, yet rustic menu, and the warm and comfortable atmosphere of Sel de la Terre makes it the ideal place to enjoy a meal no matter the occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sel de la Terre - Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
- It's closed and you can seeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/27/2013It's closed and you can see why. Food took forever and the service was non-existent. Good riddance. I liked you, but no longer.
- L'Espalier quality food atSundayDJVIPDined on 1/26/2013L'Espalier quality food at a more casual setting. Very attentive staff. A treat as usualSpecial Features:
- Food as excellent as always.DW86Dined on 1/23/2013Food as excellent as always. We needed a couple extra minutes to make our decisions (so many choices sounded delicious). It felt like our waiter forgot about us. Otherwise, an excellent evening.Special Features:
- The experience was good, except,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013The experience was good, except, when my party and I were greeted by the host. They turn their backs and never gave us a table time wait for our reservation. They kept quiet and was bickering about something, furthermore, there were no other guest checking in. I had to ask if there was a problem and or a problem with my reservation. After I asked, immediately, I was allowed up to the main dinning area where we were seated. The service from there completely was the anthesis from what I recieved from the host. The meal and food was excellent and the wine was great. If it wasnt for the service and the food, it would have a been a horrible experience with the initial meeting.
- Good elegantly presented food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013Good elegantly presented food, quiet relaxing place.Special Features:
- Will never go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/19/2013We were the first couple seated for the evening and were located right near the kitchen where the wait staff were coming in and out. We kept getting bumped into all night and it was very distracting. The service was terrible.
- Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/18/2013In a time where many restaurants think loud is cool, and poorly trained staff is acceptable, SDLT consistently rises above. They clearly have a higher standard. Last minute vegan requests? Gluten free? Somehow they cheerfully and skillfully address any request.Special Features:
- Delicious food, artfully plated,SammyDined on 1/15/2013Delicious food, artfully plated, attentive service.Special Features:
- We were pleased. Had thewinegeekVIPDined on 1/14/2013We were pleased. Had the fixed price lunch. I was somewhat surprised at the relatively small size of the main course, but the quality was quite good, and our server was superb.
- Our best meal here yet! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/12/2013Our best meal here yet! The menu has improved over the years, everything we ate was fantastic. The service was superb. Can't wait to go back now!Special Features:
- Fantastic food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/8/2013Fantastic food and service. I thoroughly enjoyed the menu that featured many healthy choices. The salmon was spectacular!Special Features:
- I had the tasting menu, andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/6/2013I had the tasting menu, and it was excellent, especially the oyster, the caramelized gnocchi, and the salmon. The service was very congenial and professional. I would certainly return.Special Features:
- Good Sunday Brunch, all dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/6/2013Good Sunday Brunch, all dishes well prepared and very tasty. You would expect a broader selection thoughSpecial Features:
- We had a fabulous dinner atDBBrooklineDined on 1/5/2013We had a fabulous dinner at Sel de la Terre. The choices were interesting and the food was perfectly prepared. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with verymariaxivVIPDined on 1/5/2013Great restaurant with very good food (all of the soups are incredible), a menu that changes seasonally, and attentive service. Ambiance is casual, but classy, and I have had several good experiences here. Highlights include all of the soups, the moules frites appetizer, and the duck and lobster entrees. Portions are delicious and usually large (with the exception of a couple scallop entrees). A great place to come for drinks, dinner, appetizers, etc. Can be a bit loud later in the evening, so an early table is recommended.Special Features:
- I was traveling with my 7-year-oldliterateinitDined on 1/5/2013I was traveling with my 7-year-old daughter, and I chose this restaurant, which was close to my hotel, because they had a child's menu as well as an intriguing regular menu--a good sign that we'd be welcome there. The food was quite good, and the service was very attentive. We arrived early, before the dining room filled, and so we had some extra attention. When I mentioned that I hadn't chosen my second glass of wine that well as a complement to my entree, the sommelier came by with a glass of something else that went very well with my duck confit--and he offered it to me on the house. Very kind! My daughter and I both enjoyed the experience, and if I lived in Boston, then I'd definitely head back.
- go therechrissyDined on 12/31/2012The duck confit was extremely good. The scallops, not so good. The chicken with harissa was tender and perfectly cooked. Max was splendid! I ate early, and families with small children were there-- it was New Year's Eve-- and they were accommodated beautifully.Special Features:
- Decent food, almost wastedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/30/2012Decent food, almost wasted in a tasteless environment. Even worse was the service: waited more than 30 minutes to be asked; drinks came one at a time; order was mistaken; bread was brought only during the main course after asking for it, etc. Total disappointment; and this was after giving a second chance! The first experience was similar.
- I felt the waiter pushed usRegularVIPDined on 12/30/2012I felt the waiter pushed us to order more items which we did not. I recognized him from precious dining experiences in Newfon where he did the same, it was brunch so that made it a tad unpleasant.Special Features:
- very nice restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/30/2012very nice restaurant with tasty food. everyone in the restaurant made us feel quite welcome and we had a lovely brunch. they even accomodated with a table next to a window.Special Features:
- We are a family of five whoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012We are a family of five who have been living in France for over ten years. We loved SDLT found that the food was excellent and of course the kiddie menu is always appreciated for families. I'd characterize the place as "French inspired American cuisine" - the cooking is nouvelle style but w/o the silly frou frou flourishes you often find in Paris. Those looking for an "authentic french bistro" should probably look elsewhere - the menu is innovative and most of the standard bistro favorites are absent or re-interpreted.Special Features:
- We used to go to the Sel deOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2012We used to go to the Sel de la Terre location near Aquarium and were very disappointed when it closed. We tried the Back Bay location for the first time. We found the service, food and wine list to definitely be the other locatin's equal. We also liked being on the second floor overlooking Boylston St. The interior ambiance was not as enjoyable but we would definitely go back.Special Features:
- The food was delicious withOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/28/2012The food was delicious with the exception of the steak (see below). I throughly enjoyed the night from the delicious foccaioa bread to the drink. My face dish was the escargots. I would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Exceptional Back Bay LunchWalthamflyerDined on 12/26/2012This was my first lunch at Sel de la Terre having been there previously for dinner and brunch. The food was outstanding and the service was impeccable. I had the salmon with lentils and celery root purée. It was perfectly cooked and beautifully plated. Overall, an outstanding place for a lunch in Back Bay.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodMoopDined on 12/23/2012The food was simply outstanding. The duck was out of this world.Special Features:
- Excellent as always. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/23/2012Excellent as always. Very consistent. Service was extremely well done.Special Features:
- Food was better than expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2012Food was better than expected. The last time I was there it was not good. This time it was fine.Special Features:
- Lovely space, service waswestenderVIPDined on 12/21/2012Lovely space, service was perfect, however the kitchen was having problems. We waited too long for our entrees; our server let us know he had checked with the kitchen. The kitchen sent out 'roasted' brussel sprouts that were 'blackened'; our server did remove that charge from our bill. We loved the original location, this one not as much.Special Features:
- Even though we had a reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2012Even though we had a reservation, we had to wait about 20 minutes for our table. The staff more than recovered with their thoughtful service.Special Features:
- This is one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/20/2012This is one of our favorite restaurants in Boston. The food is exceptional and the menu changes often so it is never boring.Special Features:
- I could eat here every other day!MicheleDined on 12/17/2012I can't say enough wonderful things about Sel de la Terre! The service is only second to the quality and taste of the food. I've had butternut squash soup in dozens of restaurants and have never had it this good. The flavor had many layers and was just the right sweetness and consistency. The scallops were cooked perfectly! We also had the lobster with the pumpkin ravioli. If 5 stars is the highest, this dish would rate a 10. Its easy to overcook lobster or seve it with flavors that are overwhelming. This dish was creative and every bite an experience. You can't dine here and not talk about the bread! They offer 4 different kinds of freshly baked bread and honey butter that keeps you coming back for more. The wine list is perfect too!Special Features:
- Great combinations of flavorsmrpeabodyVIPDined on 12/17/2012Great combinations of flavors in their dishes. Very good service.Special Features:
- Big group was a problemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/16/2012This is a "go to" place for me and I recommend it frequently. Last night was a bad experience, I hope just a blip. We arrived early due to needing to be at the pops concert at 730. We were seated at 530. For a drink, and two course dinner, this should have been plenty of time. Our waitress, lovely that she was, seemed to also be the bartender. Drinks took therefore a while, and no other staff around to take food order, even though we asked. 20 mins and we get our drinks and put in food orders. Oysters came, apps came, and then we sat. And sat. Drink orders were mixed up. We told of time crunch 2 times. We got mains at 7pm, and had to rush to eat, pay and run out the door. Not a pleasant night.
- The food was great with theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/15/2012The food was great with the seafood - lobster, scallops, oysters - being excellent. The wine menu was great. All of this tempered by our server who was "indifferent" at best. I expect more out of a $300 dinner for two.
- Food was very uneven--forOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/15/2012Food was very uneven--for instance, steak divine, salmon meh; rosemary pomme frites had no rosemary, bread very tasty but cold (like from a fridge cold). Drinks were good but slow to arrive and did not all arrive at once which was a problem when a toast was to be made. Many problems in service which we were made aware of but were still troubling ("bartender broke a glass in the ice", etc.). Server was trying hard but seemed overwhelmed and a little unprofessional (cupped her hands around her mouth to "shout" when giving the specials--or I should say special singular). Lovely room but rather loud for conversation and slightly warm. Lots of children for 7:00 on a Saturday night, which I found odd (Hanukkah?) Disappointing for the price.
- We were taken back by theDavenhVIPDined on 12/13/2012We were taken back by the poor service we had this evening when we brought friends to dinner here. Having been to Sel de la Terre often we assumed it was a great place to share with visitors to the area and as the service slid from inattentive to downright rude we were reminded by our friends that we had taken them here 2 years ago and suffered the same. Of course they were correct and we had forgotten as everything had improved over the past couple years in our experiences - it was a real disappointment to take friends to dinner and have the evening go badly because someone clearly did not wish to do their job.
- Food was good and seasonedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/11/2012Food was good and seasoned just right (not salty). Great service - they were late bringing out a dish so it was on the house. It got a little loud towards the end of our lunch. Overall, better than other restaurants in the area and highly recommended.Special Features:
- Very nicely priced, slightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/10/2012Very nicely priced, slightly off the beaten path French wines on the list. Great for pairing with attractive, interesting, and yummy French oriented, mainly locally sourced seasonal food. Very well done - good value.Special Features:
- Won't be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/9/2012We have dined here other times with good service and very good food. This visit was a terrible disappointment. After being seated, it took about 10 minutes to have water served and our waiter to take a drink order. After placing our dinner order, it took 30 minutes to receive our salads and soup. The servers first took our food to a different table. The soup was cold, was sent back after we called over a different waitperson since ours was nowhere to be seen. Dinner was served in a reasonably timely fashion. However after getting our check it took another 15 minutes, or more, to run the credit card. The manager did nothing to assist the waitstaff, and made no effort to even assist in running the credit card.
- A group of three grabbed aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/9/2012A group of three grabbed a delightful meal before a Sunday eve performance of the Pops. Food was delicious, service attentive and respectful of our time constraints. I look forward to returning soon.