Sekisui - Vestavia Hills
700 Montgomery Hwy
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Sekisui - Vestavia Hills
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sekisuiusa.com/
- Phone: 2059787775
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday, Tues-Thurs 5:00pm - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Yasu Matsui
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sekisui can bring the sushi bar to you. We will setup a sushi bar at your event with our chef preparing sushi on-site -great for Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, office parties, etc...
A word from Sekisui - Vestavia Hills
At Sekisui, sushi chefs don't just push the envelope; they put the envelope through the paper shredder. Chefs are encouraged to show off their creativity and listen to customer’s ideas; creating sushi rolls that can’t be found anywhere else. Also, purists will be delighted with the exhaustive lineup of nigiri sushi - perfectly sliced fish atop a mound of rice seasoned with vinegar, sugar and a touch of sake. There’s something to please everyone. The extensive menu covers lots of familiar Japanese cuisine territory with teriyaki, tempura and udon noodles. Customers can choose from several seating options -a sleek sushi bar, comfortable booths, Japanese style floor seating, and a patio that can't be beat when the weather is right. Located in the City Center Shopping Center, customers will enjoy the covered parking and close proximity to shopping and the movie theater.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Sekisui - Vestavia Hills - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Sekisui - Vestavia Hills reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (10)good for groups (8)great for lunch (7)fit for foodies (7)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- awesome eveningdrfoodDined on 8/22/2014The BEST sushi in town plus friendly, attentive staff made for a great night out! Staff are great with kids, kept water glasses full, and didn't mind splitting checks for our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WayneDined on 8/16/2014good environment, good quality of meal and good locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DInner!klreDined on 7/27/2014Family of 5 (parents/college-age children) for special occasion. Ordered sushi & menu & appetizers. All delicious. Service excellent. Don't forget to try the cucumber rolls, udon noodles, dragon rolls, yakitori …Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryJeremyDined on 6/14/2014This was my second visit and the food is just as good as the first time. Love the sea bass meal and the fried tofu appetizer is good and unique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was closed!!!!!!sincerelysaddened1Dined on 6/1/2014We arrived 5 minutes prior to our reservation time to find the restaurant had been closed for quite some time. So disappointed that Open Table has no means to truly up to date... How FRUSTRATING... Your restaurant was selected based on ratings by Open Table for our guests from Chicago who love sushi... Only to discover upon arrival that your restaurant is no longer in business... Need I say More????
- The following 164 reviews are from the Sekisui - Vestavia Hills reviews archive.
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014Nice, quiet atmosphere with good sushi. Big fan of the squid salad.Special Features:
- Allways goodDutchyDined on 4/19/2014We come here frequently and have not been let down. The food is outstanding, fish looks and tastes fresh. The noddles are supper and the fried dinners never taste oily and greasy, which not all Japanese restaurants can pull off. The service is friendly, professional and observant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Good QualityMillieDined on 1/31/2014We are never disappointed with our meals at Sekisui...a "Neighborhood Gem", indeed!Special Features:
- Yummy SushiIlovesushiVIPDined on 1/24/2014Sekisui has great sushi! They have a huge list of many different types with a great description. I have been coming here for almost 3 years and atleast once a month I return to eat their sushi. I have tried a few other places around town, but none of them can beat Sekisui. The only thing I wish Sekisui would do would be have a special offer such as late night discount or particular day discount (i.e Tuesday Half-Off Sushi). They do have early dine in specials, but it does not apply to sushi. Regardless, the food is great and the atmosphere is calm and relaxing. Also, if you are going on a Friday or Saturday I would advise making reservations because they are completely packed during the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Service was great.SushiSamuraiDined on 1/11/2014Great food. Service was great. Only negative the whole night was getting sat next to a really loud table. Not a fan of the purple haze saki.Special Features:
- Lots of fun with FriendsNiteoutwithkidsDined on 1/11/2014We love coming to this restaurant with friends. Food is great and easy to get a table for a group. Recommend going early because they fill up quick. Making a reservacation on Open Table is the best way to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An anxious serverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2013We had 7 people including 3 children in our group. The food was, as always. great and we enjoyed the party room's privacy. The service was slower than usual. Qur server was having a really bad day, but did get the job done in her fashion.. She did remain cheerful and sweet-natured through it all, and we left her a generous tip for her attitude (not for her service, which was akward to say the least) All in all our evening was nice and we were well fed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi place around.woodDined on 11/23/2013My wife and I have visited Sekisui often and have always had a positive experience. The staff is very accommodating and the food is great. I love that it is so easily accessible and the pricing is great for the quality. We often suggest this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meh.sushiTDined on 11/21/2013Food was pretty decent, service was not good, and despite having a reservation they sat us at the worst table in the house. We were literally seated right next to the front door. Other people that just showed up with no reservation were given better seating. Will not be back, and would not highly recommend this place to anyone I liked.
- Great sushi!hrmk2Dined on 11/16/2013I think this is one of the best sushi restaurants in Birmingham. You can enjoy authentic sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2013The sushi was just OK. This was our second visit, and we thought the food was a bit better the first time. The atmosphere is pleasant, and it's relatively quiet. Both times we were there, the servers were nice but knew VERY LITTLE about the food. On our last visit, the server was obviously new and had to relay each of our questions to another server. Everyone has to start somewhere, but there is a minimal level of training necessary for servers, especially at a sushi restaurant. If they don't know much about the food, then they should work with another server for a while longer. Struggling to find a go-to sushi place in Birmingham.
- Sekisui in Vestavia is thedseichDined on 11/15/2013Sekisui in Vestavia is the best sushi in the Birmingham area period. I've been to both Pacific Rims and the Surins and they don't compare. I refuse to pay the prices at Jin Sei just to literally rub elbow with diners beside me when I could be at Sekisui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful!HollieDined on 10/11/2013We are regulars here at Sekisui. We absolutely love how vibrant the food is and it's nice to be able to get a true Japanese meal instead of at cheesy Hibachi restaurants. Their short grain rice is prime quality, and hard to to eat a full bowl of it! We usually show up for their Specials which are before 7PM, great prices for great food! Our waitresses are always lovely, we ask for the same one each time and admittedly she knows us by name!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long time favorite!MillieDined on 10/11/2013Sekisui never disappoints. Food quality is consistent and delicious! Service is attentive without being intrusive. A "Neighborhood Gem" indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!!! And great foodActiveapathyDined on 8/23/2013The service was great the server was perfect. But the food was even better!! The Mimi roll is one of the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Sekisui!SuBeeDined on 7/11/2013Sekisui serves the best sushi we have found in Birmingham. It is always delicious! My husband always orders the sashimi deluxe, and it's always great. The Bama, Mimi, and Tiger rolls are also very tasty! We enjoy meeting friends at Sekisui- and even if they're not sushi lovers they always enjoy it! The outside dining is a nice option, and inside has sushi bar, table or booth seating. The servers are excellent! Definitely go eat at Sekisui Vestavia Hills!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent quality!MillieDined on 7/7/2013Sekisui is definitely a "neighborhood gem" and worth traveling out of your neighborhood for it's fine Japanese food and attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as always!MorganRDined on 6/28/2013Food and service are always great here. I've never had a bad experience and it is my favorite place for sushi. Love to celebrate my birthday here. Great selection of food and drinks.Special Features:
- Lovely experience!SushiloverDined on 6/27/2013Great food! Works well with larger groups (mine was a group of 10). Love the atmosphere of the place and the service is always outstanding. The sushi is divine and the price is right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as always - serverLuv2dineDined on 6/21/2013Delicious as always - server was helpful and very personable - great dining experience!Special Features:
- NICE...butNancyEFVIPDined on 6/7/2013We enjoyed the food ordered. I wasn't impressed with the fried cheeks, but I was trying something new. We might have enjoyed the softshell crab we ordered but the waitress forgot to put in the order. The dinner plates were quite good, and with an impressive number of different fish. On wish we could have nown what they were! And check the directions - we had a lot of trouble finding this 2nd floor restaurant.Special Features:
- A favorite for sushi!KathrynVIPDined on 6/5/2013Again we return to Sekisui for wonderful, fresh and favorable sushi. We also enjoyed the pork steamed dumplings as an appetizer. Reservations are recommended on the weekends for sure! We'll be back I'm certain~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushicoffeeroadDined on 6/4/2013Always enjoy Sekisui ! Great food, sushi is excellent. Service is good, attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Servicejcn1990sDined on 6/1/2013I cannot complain about my recent visit here. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. The restaurant is a bit pricy, but worth every penny. I recommend this place for good sushi, seafood, or a special occasion.Special Features:
- Good and reasonably pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2013Sushi was beautifully prepared and delicious. Service was friendly and efficient. I wonderful local find!Special Features:
- Terrible serviceECRattyDined on 5/18/2013My husband and I went to Sekisui on a Saturday evening at around 6:30, so we expected that it might be somewhat busy. However, we didn't expect to wait 45 minutes for three orders of sushi and a bowl of clear soup. Nor did we anticipate that we wouldn't see our waiter again for the first 30 minutes we were there. I saw at least 20 soups come out and our waiter forgot ours until we reminded him. All in all, it was dreadful service and the sushi was just okay. I think I've had grocery store sushi that tasted as good. I will not be going back any time soon.
- A "Neighborhood Gem", indeed!MillieDined on 3/27/2013Sekisui never lets us down - consistent good quality food and service!Special Features:
- Always a pleasure and an adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2013Always a pleasure and an adventure to dine here. I try to sample some new things, but it is hard to give up the dishes I truly love. Lu and Gee and Michelle are our favorite servers. Also good at making suggestions for choices. The sushi guys are also nice at the sushi bar and really put out a great product.Special Features:
- Great SushhiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2013Met a couple of friends for dinner, this was our first visit to this restaurant. Service was good, excellent food. Will definitely return to enjoy the food and hopefully sit outside on as the weather permits.Special Features:
- We're always leave happy afterMillieDined on 2/23/2013We're always leave happy after dining here. It's one of our favorites - great food, service, and atmosphere. The early bird specials are a really great deal, too.Special Features:
- Best value for money in aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2013Best value for money in a Birmingham sushi restaurant.Special Features:
- As always, superb!HollieDined on 2/9/2013As always, Sekisui is superb! We found this little place haphazardly and have been enjoying it since. We love how authentic the Japanese cuisine is and how much care and time goes into preparing the food. Even a simple thing such as rice, is cooked perfectly and they use high quality grains. Also look for nights with specials on Sake! Buy one, get one free :)Special Features:
- The food was good, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2013The food was good, however we were disappointed in our service. We were about 8 minutes late for our reservation and the host had already given away our table when we arrived. At the end of our meal, the host also asked if we'd like our check and we replied "no, we'd like to finish our drinks." He brought the check anyway in an effort to hurry us along. That was disappointing, especially after paying $70 for a meal and drinks for two.
- Great Food. Poor Service.hpcarnelDined on 2/1/2013We eat at Sekisui frequently but the service has really gone downhill over the past two years. We were having dinner with friends who had hired a babysitter that night to keep their kids so that they could have a nice night out and our server seemed to be pushing us to hurry and get out. She forgot one of the drinks we ordered and the sushi came out much earlier than the other entrees and the appetizer. We continue going back because we like the food and stmosphere but the service is becoming a real issue there.Special Features:
- Great little sushi place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/23/2013The food has been great every time that I have been here!Special Features: