Sekisui - Chattanooga
1120 Houston Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Sekisui - Chattanooga
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sekisuichattanooga.com/
- Phone: 4232674600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday - Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for availability and pricing.
A word from Sekisui - Chattanooga
At Sekisui, sushi chefs don"t just push the envelope; they put the envelope through the paper shredder. Chefs are encouraged to show off their creativity and listen to customer's ideas, creating sushi rolls that can't be found anywhere else. Also, purists will be delighted with the exhaustive lineup of nigiri sushi - perfectly sliced fish atop a mound of rice seasoned with vinegar, sugar and a touch of sake. There's something to please everyone. The extensive menu covers lots of familiar Japanese cuisine territory with teriyaki, tempura and udon noodles but also features fusion style entrees. Lively and noisy might not be typical descriptions of most Japanese restaurants, but the words fit Sekisui. As it is always full of familiar faces, Sekisui is a popular neighborhood hang-out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sekisui - Chattanooga reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (6)romantic (4)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great SushiRater123Dined on 8/29/2014Always good food. Nice atmosphere-modern. Sushi is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerSoccermomDined on 8/25/2014Once again our visit to Sekisui did not disappoint. The sushi is excellent but there are optional choices of hibachi items for those who pass on sushi. Well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but expensiveWifeLovesSushiDined on 7/4/2014Sushi buffet on Friday is delicious but quite expensive. At $13 a head plus tax, I could have went to Fuji in Dalton, GA; eaten their half price sushi and gotten more than full for about 2/3 the price of Sekisui. And the sushi you get at Fuji is top quality. The Sekisui sushi bar was delicious but was not top quality. Not sure I would do the Sekisui sushi buffet on friday again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner had by all!CarolineDined on 6/28/2014I planned to have my boyfriend's 30th birthday dinner at Sekisui. Super easy to make reservations online with Open Table. Then we had to add two more people right before our reservation time and they were very accommodating. We had great service, amazing sushi, and a memorable night. Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/26/2014Love it! Great food and wait staff. Always enjoy our meal at Seki Sui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good--Service not so Much10ecgalVIPDined on 5/24/2014We've been here several times because the food is good. Our service during this last visit was not up to the quality of the food. We saw our waitress a few times. Our drinks needed refilling. It was hard to enjoy the food while needing drinks.
- The following 55 reviews are from the Sekisui - Chattanooga reviews archive.
- Great experienceRoughLifeDined on 4/30/2014Seafood was fresh. Wait staff was very friendly. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the sushi and seaweed.LovingNashvilleDined on 4/18/2014We recently moved to Chattanooga and my husband had visited here twice. I went with my adult children during their recent visit and loved it. We east sushi often and had been searching Chattanooga for great sushi.... We found it... Waitress was very attentive ( I think her name was Missouri ?).... Loved the seaweed on a bed of cucumber straws! Snow roll with cilantro, was out of the box and fantastic! Can't wait to go back,Special Features:
- LunchSnj85Dined on 4/10/2014we were the last people for lunch, quality of food was poor, it was cold...very disappointedSpecial Features:
- Absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014THIS RESTAURANT EXCEEDED ALL EXPECTATIONS! The sushi chef and waitress Kristen did what every customer should want to receive. I plan to stop there every chance I and my husband get. Thanks for everything guys. AnnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentrfshelDined on 3/28/2014The most flavorful sushi selection for a 100 miles. Great service ,and very generous portions. You Definitely get your money's worth here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sedisui has great sushi!!scouncilDined on 3/25/2014Sekisui is a great sushi restaurant! The rest of their menu is great too, but I go there for the sushi. Staff is friendly and attentive, service is fast and I go there a lot! The sushi buffet on Friday at lunch is fabulous and is becoming very popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service SlowBmckeeDined on 3/1/2014My only problem was the service. The servers were distant and I literally had to go find them any time I needed something. However, food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, reservations suggestedOnlyatbencoDined on 2/15/2014Had a good time. Took my girlfriend on a date there on very busy night of the year, it was the first time we went.Their credit card machine was acting up, they handled it well. We had reservations at 7, we arrived about 5 minutes late and stood around for 10-ish minutes before anyone even said hi. That was aggravating. Our server was clearly frustrated but was still great to us. Got us everything we needed. I got the impression that the only way to get a table was to reserve one, people were piling up at the entrance. We got a great table we were able to take our time and our server was very nice regardless of the obvious pressure. They seem used to regular customers. Felt overdressed in a vest. Huge entrées small sides. Good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot!BrandoDined on 2/14/2014Immediately walking in to this place, you will notice a very chic yet comfortable ambience. The food was tasty; however, finding the perfect dish was difficult with such a dense menu. All in all, this was a lovely place with good food and good energy. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good authentic foodchitownDined on 2/14/2014We are from Chicago and it is very hard to find a good dinning spot. We have found it.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodDNYGRLDined on 1/17/2014Sekisui has the best sushi in Chattanooga. Go for the Dragon Roll if you like some spice.Special Features:
- Expectations Fell ShortTystDarlDined on 1/11/2014Gorgeous lighting fixtures, beautiful large booths, quaint tables, and a shiny/polished open kitchen. I reserved a table for 2 with special notes noting our upcoming anniversary. When we were greeted by our server, I asked a few questions about the menu, and our server lacked information to give. Our server also never mentioned our anniversary, and only sparingly came by our table. Soon large parties with children began to arrive and were seated near us. Crying babies overtook our dinner conversation. The restaurant felt very less "date night" and more "Chili's" as the night went on. Our food however, was very good. Our starter (Kaki Fry) was superb, and our entree's were as well, despite a burnt taste on the "Mahi Mahi".Special Features:
- A quiet weekday lunch...MarkDined on 1/7/2014and this was the perfect spot for it. Surrounded by lots of shopping, this restaurant could EASILY be a resting point. In my case, I met a colleague there to discuss business, and we weren't disappointed by the service or the food. The sushi was excellent (I had a mixture of rolls and nigiri) as was the service...and on this particular afternoon, it was nice and quiet. I'd recommend Sekisui for the food, location and service if you're in downtown Chattanooga!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/29/2013I can't never get tired of this restaurant. Always nice and welcomingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.MazzyDined on 12/2/2013My favorite place to get asian food. The building is very unique and I never have a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good!JakeDined on 11/22/2013My visit was pretty mediocre. The food was above average for the city, but not quite for the price (granted it's one of the cheaper of the high end Japanese joints downtown). The service was equally as average, but the staff were all very polite and noticeably upbeat. All in all, I recommend it! I was not disappointed. I plan on returning as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great downtown sushiGamtnmikeDined on 11/16/2013Sekisui is located in downtown Chattanooga, a little off the beaten path. The decor is pleasant if not Asain but the abandoned pizza oven in the center of the kitchen explains that. The food however, was far from ordnary. The fish was very fresh and the selection of available hand made rolls was vast. We visited on a busy Saturday night but the service was still prompt and efficient. We have had better sushi but would rate this meal in the superior quality category of such restaurants.Special Features:
- Don't Be In A HurryMandMVIPDined on 11/13/2013If you are in a rush, this is not the place to pop in for dinner. The sushi chefs are always backed up with orders. The food is fine when it is delivered to the table...it just takes a while.
- Mediocre for dinnerDocGDined on 10/10/2013Diverse and interesting menu, but we had slow service and mediocre food.
- Best Sushi Ever!brightbrowns13Dined on 9/6/2013Sushi is a cuisine I have recently fallen in love with. Sekisui is the best by far. They offer a buffet on Friday that is the best deal for lunch. You can have every roll they offer. It is an absolutely must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizer, entrée, desert,RickVIPDined on 9/2/2013Appetizer, entrée, desert, everything is delicious! Especially all kinds of Sushi are remarkable. Very much enjoyable and delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2013My grielfriend and I come here often and it was great as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fresh fish for Sashimi.VerycoolVIPDined on 5/17/2013Really fresh fish for Sashimi. Dumplings also very good. Best japanese restaurant I have encountered in Chattanooga.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013Sekisui has the best sushi in Chattanooga, hands down. Friendly staff, great chefs. This is a favorite place of mine and where I make my family take me on special occasions (Mother's day, birthday, etc). SusanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time Not a CharmfoodseekerVIPDined on 4/4/2013This was our second visit to Sekisui. The first time the food and service was at a level to cause us to return. Unfortunately our second visit didn't match the first. We both had the crab dumpling appetizer which was quite good (if you're careful with the wasabi mustard). I had the lobster entre based on my wife's recommendation resulting from our first visit. The only hot (or even warm) thing on the plate was the lobster in sauce -- the stir fried veggies and asparagus tempura were room temperature and the salad greens were not dressed at all. Hence the only satisfying part of my meal was the several tablespoons of lobster bits in sauce. Too bad -- we probably won't return.Special Features:
- Sekisui - great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2013Great variety of sushi. Great variety of dishes great atmosphere and a fun placeSpecial Features:
- Great Date PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013I love Sekisui! This is a regular date night for my girlfriend and I.Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013This was our second visit to Sekisui -Chattanooga and it was just as good as the first time - excellent on all levels. The food is really delicious and reasonably priced. The staff is friendly and attentive. Did I mention that the restaurant has its own parking spaces? A huge plus for any downtown restaurant.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!RJB3Dined on 2/17/2013This restaurant has spoiled me on eating sushi anywhere else, and eating there will now be a part of every trip I make to Chattanooga. I'd heard great things about it, and it surpassed my high expectations by leaps and bounds! Simply fantastic food - fresh, visually stunning and full of flavor!Special Features:
- Very Good Food for a Good PricefoodseekerVIPDined on 2/1/2013I had the sushi starter which was quite good and my wife had the crab dumplings which she said were exceptional. For entrees I had the Soba (LOTS of soba noodles in a spicy broth along with an abundance of seafood) and my wife had the lobster tails which were quite tender and juicy -- a great deal at $24 for two tails. The service was outstanding with the servers showing quite a bit of hustle -- no plodders. To top it off, Sekisui offers a service almost unheard of in downtown Chattanooga: FREE parking! The Sekisui folks are really trying, and largely succeeding, to be a first class restaurant.Special Features:
- Very nice place to go on aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2013Very nice place to go on a Saturday night. Great food and atmosphere for a semi-quiet dinner. I had the salmon entree which was great. The asparagus was delic. She had the Duck entree which was also exquisite. Thanks for setting up such a special local place.Tom and DevereauxSpecial Features:
- It was great. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013It was great. The service was bery good and the fish was fresh. Venture into the kitchen menu and try the surf and turf or ginger duck.Special Features:
- I actually arranged this eventOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012I actually arranged this event for a family reunion that included my son and his girlfriend who live in Japan. Thier evaluation was most important to me and they were pleased with the experience. I asked them to rate the food and they gave it a superior grade. The overall experience was memorable and my husband stated he would cherish the time he spent there with the children for the rest of his life.Special Features:
- We have been here severalSoft52Dined on 12/15/2012We have been here several times and it have been great each time.Special Features: