741 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seiyasushi.com/
- Phone: 6505088888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Kua Chuang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available. Please call Amanda at 6505088888.
A word from Seiya
Welcome to Seiya! Michelin recommended restaurant 2013 and 2014!!! We consider ourselves to be a Japanese Contemporary restaurant. We have a full sushi bar filled with many daily special fish. In addition to our sushi bar, we proudly serve rolls and robata grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Seiya - Best Restaurants in San Carlos ›
Seiya reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (15)romantic (13)hot spot (6)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Best sushi in SCBusinesslunchesVIPDined on 9/19/2014Non traditional but excellent. Always good, always fresh. The fish itself is considerably better than the other sushi places on Laurel, at least the ones I have tried.Special Features:
- awful placeMenloManVIPDined on 9/6/2014this was the noisiest, most uncomfortable place I have ever been to.....tables on top of each other; hard wooden chairs; unbearably noisy, to the point where we left without ordering. I don't care how good the food may be, it was a torture chamber!
- Always amazing!!NanaVIPDined on 9/3/2014Every time I come eat at Seiya I have a great experience! The service is great and the food is AMAZING!!! Always fresh and tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/27/2014Truly a neighborhood gem .. food was amazing & service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PearlyDined on 8/27/2014Great food great service We will defiantly be coming back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific SpoteDitsVIPDined on 8/20/2014Second trip to this San Carlo sushi bar this year. Sushi tremendously fresh, and guys behind the bar were terrific chefs.
- Great, unusual JapanesePizaazDined on 7/29/2014I thought this was a great find. The sashimi was extremely fresh and the rice used in the sushi was the best I have ever had. I would definitely return!!!
- SophiaDined on 7/22/2014The food and service were off. ;(. Normally everything is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time to SeiyaSavvyAbbyVIPDined on 7/19/2014I really like this restaurant. Best sushi in San Carlos in my opinion. Food was just as good second time around.
- For sushi loversprymnumberVIPDined on 7/18/2014This is ours favorite Japanese restaurant for special occations. Everything is fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- CarolBVIPDined on 7/10/2014The best restaurant in San Carlos, and we have a bunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicate authentic Sushi/Sashimirwclunch01VIPDined on 7/8/2014Sashimi and Sushi are very authentic and high quality. Everything is served at the right temperature. For example, eel sushi was served with 'grilled just now' eel. They have a good list of cold sake.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/27/2014Service was good while they were present--the presence was few in between. Food was good, but over priced. Will not likely go back.
- I was expecting moreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014We ordered 4 different types of rolls, two of them were really good but the other ones were not worth the price ($14 each).
- Service needs workDinerDined on 5/30/2014Servers were pleasant when they came by, but those visits were few and far between. It took almost 10 minutes to be greeted and seated even though the restaurant was half empty, and other than delivering our food to the table, the servers didn't check in on us to refill tea/water, etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/27/2014I've been wanting to eat here since I moved to San Carlos. It was fantastic! It isn't open very late, so you have to be careful when making a later reservation. They were trying to get everyone out of there just before 9pm. It was some of the best sushi I've had in the peninsula. I thought their rolls were very creative.Special Features:
- The following 150 reviews are from the Seiya reviews archive.
- Seiya was beautifuldangerdotDined on 5/23/2014Seiya's food was delicious and beautiful. We sat at the bar, which I think is the best part of the restaurant, and most of the restaurant. The food came a bit fast, but that's better than too slow! Also the ambiance, lighting and overall feel was great. Friendly staff, and not too crowded on a friday night.Special Features:
- Great SushiDSSSMSDined on 5/23/2014We love this place. It has a pleasant atmosphere, nice decor, excellent food, and a very kind and accommodating staff. Their specialty rolls are awesome if you're into that, and all of the traditional stuff is great too. They have never disappointed and we love going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced food, unfresh sashimiCache51Dined on 5/23/2014Ordered 5 items for lunch. 1. Chef choice sashimi is over priced. $21 for 8 small pieces of not so fresh raw fish??? 2. Hamachi carpaccio was a joke. It was some stinky hamachi with jalapeño slices. 3. Robata grill tiger prawn with bacon should be called little shrimp with becon. To me, prawn means large in size. What I got was one little shrimp fully wrapped by a bacon. It's salty and over cooked. 4. Hot pot rice with pork. Avg taste and small potion. 5. Grill pork belly. The only dish I liked.
- Fantastic SushiSnodgrassDined on 5/15/2014Inside dining seems limited, but outdoor options available. We ended up sitting at the sushi bar, which we normally don't do- but it was a highlight during this dining experience. The sushi chef ended up giving us some extra items along the way- and the entire evening was a sushi tasting extravaganza. Definitely, some of the best sushi I've had in a long time, and I'd go back again in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Cute litte gemkyCAVIPDined on 5/10/2014Food was well prepared, and service was great too. I'd preferred the food to be spicier when the item is listed as "spicy" but overall, great little restaurant in the neighborhood. Fresh seafood and nice presentation. Will definitely visit again.Special Features:
- For the sushi snobSushigalVIPDined on 4/23/2014I will travel distances for sushi, this has got to be one of the best spots in the Bay Area. Try the taco sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japan-inspired foodRobAndJeanneVIPDined on 4/10/2014The menu is "almost" Japanese in its presentation and selections but clearly has been influenced by western preferences. Having said that, the food is excellent well-presented and surprisingly priced fairly. What a find!Special Features:
- I found it to be "Just ok".OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/2/2014I found it to be "Just ok". sushi was good, not outstanding. It's a VERY small restaurant, long, narrow, small space. It's comfy but feels a bit "tight". Servers were nice, professional, helpful.
- Excellent sushi. Great PokeAbertonianVIPDined on 3/20/2014Excellent sushi. Great Poke and chef's sashimi platter.Special Features:
- Love!ST247VIPDined on 3/19/2014Eat here regularly - the sashimi is beautiful. Rolls here are not your typical so are unique and prepared as art.Special Features:
- Seiya's sushi rolls were fantastic!MartinDined on 3/7/2014Seiya's sushi rolls were fantastic! The tempura battered California roll (with real crab, not that Krab stuff) was great, the Great Balls of Fire roll was also very delicious. Another very nice thing is that they have a lot of different vegetable rolls (we had the sweet potato and the mushroom) which were perfect for my 5 year old who doesn't like sashimi. The restaurant is a little small so it helps to make a reservation. Definitely recommend Seiya for some great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushiLaurieVIPDined on 3/6/2014So glad we tried this restaurant! The sushi was excellent!!Special Features:
- Food is outstanding.BelmontRKDined on 2/28/2014The sushi is very fresh and high quality. The sake is tasty. The tempura is average. The menu is innovative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, pricey for San Carlos.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/22/2014Seiya is the best sushi restaurant in San Carlos....of the other sushi restaurants in San Carlos which are very mediocre. The dishes were unique and flavorful, but pricey for what it is. This could be a great place for an intimate date, but the tables are close together, so if you have a couple loudly arguing - or energetic little kids (as most people in San Carlos think it's cool to use restaurants as a personal playground for their kids to run around and scream), it could ruin the atmosphere. I'd say save your pennies and go up to SF for this. But if you're looking for a unique food dining experience and the other things don't bother you, then try Seiya. It's tasty.Special Features:
- Good Sushi and even better startersJoelDined on 2/19/2014We started with a side of their mushrooms, fish tacos (more like open faced sushi on crispy fish skin tacos, better than it sounds) some miso, poke, and then finished off with a hulk role. Poke suffered from octopus but everthing else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really classy sushi, unique optionsallisonDined on 2/13/2014Everything was delicious. They had some interesting and unique options beyond the classic sushi selections. The appetizer seafood sampler was a great example. I really enjoy the sake recommended by the waitress. I don't know anything about sake so she picked one for me. Portions were a little small and the price was a little high, but reasonable for the quality. Definitely a "special occasion" restaurant as far as I'm concerned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, wonderful service.GenieVIPDined on 2/12/2014Amazing food, wonderful service. Freshest sushimi that I have had around in neighborhood, welcome to the area !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi spot in San CarlosSavvyAbbyVIPDined on 2/8/2014I can't believe it's taken me so long to go to Seiya. I'm a Mom to a 3-year old and so this is only appropriate for date-nights. The food is inventive and while Seiya offers the usual in terms of sushi rolls, they also have their own versions. Everything we tried was new to us and very enjoyable. It is a small, cozy restaurant with a sleek vibe. I highly recommend reservations as this place is busy and you will have a long wait as a walk-in on a Friday or Saturday night. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but didn't blow my mind.2much2eatVIPDined on 2/5/2014I put it in the average bucket. Food was good. Nothing wrong with it, but not the kind of place I am striving to come back to.
- Love the food!!!MissTannerVIPDined on 1/28/2014I love coming here to eat the food is amazing and I am never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLunchladyDined on 1/22/2014I went with a friend and really enjoyed the lunch specials. The maki combo and risotto were excellent - well proportioned and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but over-pricedMarkusVIPDined on 1/21/2014The food was nicely presented and fresh, but the sushi was decent at best, especially for the price. The restaurant atmosphere was relaxing and interesting.
- Fantastic Restaurant in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/19/2014The food was great, both varied and creative, with very fresh ingredients. I ordered a variety from the menu and every single dish was fantastic. Great interior decor, fantastic service, exceeded my expectations and I look forward to another visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational SushiScotchmoVIPDined on 1/17/2014Elegantly crafted and playful twists of supremely fresh fish and meats done in unique presentations. Tuna Tacos... No wraps here, but tempura nori with salmon and hamachi and a Japanese salsa! You'll order more of these! Their skewers are delicious while a bit pricey for the quantity. The Gyu (filet) is perfectly seasoned and cooked. The hotate (scallop) skewers are heavenly. Take a couple of friends so you can try the rich variety of appetizers, you won't be disappointed in their take on fish carpaccios or beef tataki! Truly a place to go when dining to impress. We'll see them again next week no doubt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.