SEI restaurant & lounge
444 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
SEI restaurant & lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2027837007x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Saturday: 1:00pm - 3:45pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:00pm - 12midnight
Saturday: 4:00pm - 12 midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Noriyaki Yasutake & Avinesh Rana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from SEI restaurant & lounge
Modern Asian cuisine from award winning Sushi Master Noriaki Yasutake and Chef Avinesh Rana. The intimate space, located next to the Landsburgh Theater, features seating for 70, sushi bar seating 10 and a cozy lounge area. Yasutake & Rana offers their modern spin on traditional sushi, specialty rolls and Asian fare. An extensive half bottle sake list has been specially selected by sommelier, Andrew Stover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SEI restaurant & lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (68)romantic (56)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (38)great for lunch (34)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (17)late-night find (12)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- terrific menu selectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014We ordered small plates to share that were great and the sushi was outstanding. Highly recommend if you are in DC looking for Asian Fusion option.Special Features:
- Amazing service!saweberDined on 8/23/2014This is a very nice, clean and welcoming atmosphere. A very eclectic design that really works for an asian style sushi resturant. The service is absolutely incredible, you never have an empty glass and dirty and used dishes are very promptly taken from the table. There is always an employee stopping to ask if there is anything you need however they do it very discreetly so as not to intrude on the meal or become annoying. The sushi was not great however, not bad by any means but we have much better and where not impressed with the fish quality or preparation. The Korean tacos and the chocolate desert however where excellent. We also had a very nice bottle of Malbec with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bike stolenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Dinner was awesome... Everything was wonderful until we came out and found our bikes stolen right in front of the spot...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food good service split checksKate0812Dined on 8/19/2014I visited SEI for the first time this week and it was fabulous. They had a special deal where you could get almost any three menu items for $25, including cocktails! Our server, Leah, was wonderful and she even offered to split the check for our group of 11. I got the small plate chilean sea bass, it was to die for. Some fo my friends got the Zen Carlton cocktail. It's like a gin and tonic, but with their house made cucumber soda. I definitely wish I had gotten that myself.Special Features:
- Dinner at SeiMeriEatzDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I love going to Sei: food excellent; outstanding service and the cocktails are uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodnastynaz703Dined on 8/17/2014The food and the service was greattt and our server was very cuteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savory cuisine, loud ambiancerudydaleVIPDined on 8/15/2014SEI's cuisine is not only savory but quite inventive and unique. I'd never had black rice served in a sushi roll, but it was a marvelous complement to the unusual ingredients inside that roll. The shredded red tuna dish reminded me of specialties offered in the hole-in-the wall restaurants near Tokyo's massive Tsukiji fish market, not very common to find here in the States. Perhaps its the low ceiling at SEI that amplifies the conversations of avid patrons who filled the restaurant to capacity when we visited for a DC Restaurant Week visit for lunch, but the noise level is cacophonous, to the point where you can only have a conversation with the person seated next to you at your table, but not across from you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2014We for Resturant Week 2014-- perhaps it was the menu but I was not impressed. I prefer their sister Resturant OyaSpecial Features:
- One of my go tos in Penn Quarterkco1987Dined on 8/13/2014I really like this place. I have gone for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed by the food or service. Always get the bread pudding. It is amazing! The restaurant is beautiful. Makes a great date spot too.Special Features:
- Everything was almost perfectmcmcVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food was delicious and just a little bit less than the ideal portion size. Service was the nicest around but sometimes it took a minute to get their attention. Ambiance was very nice but I've occasionally seen better. If there was a category for adventurous menu, that would get 5-stars. One of the few places around that does some very unique menu items, and does them very very well. 100% going back there. I went on a Monday, so that might be why it wasn't as good as I think they can be...so close to getting a 5-star raing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Great! The food was awesome. try the fish and chips roll.Special Features:
- Outstanding, eclectic menugoolerloebVIPDined on 8/6/2014Delicious food! I can't wait to go back and try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantfeliDined on 8/2/2014This is a great place for dinner with the girls or a romantic dinner with a dateSpecial Features:
- Great ButOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014In many respects our meal was first-rate. The food was interesting and well-prepared, and the service was generally attentive. Prices were reasonable. The one downside is the noise--your rating term "energetic" is a misnomer, it was LOUD and sometimes objectionable. I'm baffled as to why it doesn't have better sound control.Special Features:
- PerfectUnforunateVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything was perfect. Great food, wonderful staff, nice decor and affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!!JohnVIPDined on 7/30/2014We honestly came across this restaurant somewhat by chance (searching on Google maps for something near where we happened to be) and were VERY happy that we did! The service was attentive, polite, friendly and yet not intrusive. The food was promptly presented and well-plated, not to mention delicious! The "build-your-own handrolls" were fun and wonderful. And above all the sake collection was impressive. For those looking to spend a little extra, we highly recommend the iceberg sake!! If you are in town and looking for great Asian food / sushi, don't miss SEI!!!Special Features:
- Cool placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/30/2014Interesting and tasty array of roles, fun cocktails, and friendly, helpful service. Cool ambience. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is Lovely!ChristyDined on 7/25/2014My girlfriend and I recently had lunch at SEI for the first time. We found the food quite delicious, but an element of the service was disconcerting. Our server was what I would call invasively solicitous. If you dropped a piece of food on the table she would swoop in and whisk it away. If done just once you could overlook it. However, my girlfriend, eating fish tacos with ingredients that tend to fall out, had it done so many time she commented that she felt like they were dying to put a bib on her and wipe her mouth for her. This is likely just a quirk of one server rather than a restaurant policy, but it really put my friend off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/21/2014Given the menus were dingy and dirty was our first indication this was not going to be the greatest experience. My party of 3 all had stomach issues following the meal and we think it was the wasabi guacamole. Will never return here.Special Features:
- Another great meal yet againMartyJVIPDined on 7/19/2014The Salmon was so delicious we order two plates. The Korean Kalbe Tacos were a little on the dry side (the short rib was dry), and the aligator ribs were yummy.Special Features:
- Average spot.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014The Nigiri sushi and rolls were good, but tiny. I got a refill on my coffee after much delay and the refill was cold.
- Small Plates are TinyzakHMDined on 7/18/2014I was disappointed with the miso soup. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good- I've had better at take-out restaurants. The portions (with the exception of the seafood chowder) were tiny. I expected a small plate to have more than two scallops (three would have been OK) and although the chowder was delicious, the potatoes were underdone. The drinks were great. If you do go to this restaurant, order the No. 6.Special Features:
- Amazing!!misslisaDined on 7/17/2014First time in DC, was there for wrk convention and stumbled upon this place, we were so hungry after landing and getting checked in we'd prob taken about ANYTHING; however what we got by far exceeded our expectations. My mother is traveling there in a few months and I've told her already to MUST stop in. Beautiful atmosphere, amazing lobster roll and fish Asian fusion fish tacos!Special Features:
- Love this place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014This was my second time there and the service, food, and drinks were consistent...what more can you ask for?!?!?!?Special Features:
- Amazing sushi!Tex14Dined on 7/11/2014Came for sushi with a man who learned to love sushi during his time in Japan, and SEI got his ringing endorsement! The only complaint was the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014It's spendy. I can't even imagine what it would be without happy hour prices. Out of my pay grade. Felt the happy hour menu was pretty limited, especially since so few sushi options. But, the kimchi quesadillas were delicious. Kobe beef sliders...would have skipped those.Special Features:
- Great spotMartyJVIPDined on 7/8/2014Love coming here especially for happy hour. Everything on the HH menus is great. Try the liquid wasabi- be cautious it does have a little kick to it for a cocktail. Kobe beef sliders and shrimp quesadilla yum!Special Features:
- GreeneDined on 7/5/2014We are from out of town and our friend suggested we try the restaurant. Our waitress was fantastic, she offered us suggestions and was helpful in making our dinner selections. The food came our within a reasonable amount of time and we did not wait around. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- great dealSusanVIPDined on 7/2/2014Went for the 4th of July special, app, two small plates, dessert and a glass of wine of cocktail for $25, the food was great, would recommned the Wasabi Guac, the salmon, pork buns, and shrimp.Special Features:
- YummyDidiDined on 6/29/2014Delicious Food, great service, and a wonderful ambiance.Special Features:
- Great and Unique Sushi, but LoudPdC2014Dined on 6/28/2014The food was very good. However the restaurant was extremely loud. It made conversations very difficult. The menu was full of very good and unique sushi rolls. They also have "tapas", small cooked plates. The scallops was especially good. Restaurant is good for groups. But dinner for two is not recommended if you want conversation.Special Features:
- incredible foodpennquarterfoodDined on 6/28/2014After recently moving into the area, I was so pleased to find this gem a block from my apartment. It's no my go-to place when I have friends in town. The food is consistently great - flavorful, yet light. I have yet to have a mediocre dish. Highly recommend! Favorites include the kale salad, Fish and Chips roll, and fish tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre dinnerMeriEatzDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed pre-dinner cocktails & highly recommend the Pink Lady. Feasted on salad and suchi: Fish & Chips particularly delightful because the 'crunch' balanced the creamy tartare sauce. Surprise mini-birthday cake completed the meal; excellent service at a wonderful restaurant; one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/25/2014I have been wanting to try SEI for a really long time - too bad it took me so long. I will be back for sure, went there for lunch and would love to try it for dinner. The food was fantastic and service even better. Really not easy to find something like that in a nice environment. Can't wait for next time.Special Features:
- Interesting menulocaldinerDined on 6/22/2014We went with a friend for early dinner, and ordered a mixture of small plates (2) and sushi rolls (3). This fed three people nicely. My husband and I enjoyed our glass of sake, and appreciated the offer of a free taste of a stronger version. Perhaps because we came early, we were not rushed by the wait staff, and the noise level was moderate. We would recommend SEI to anyone who enjoys Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sei What?VanceDined on 6/21/2014This is the fourth or fifth time we've dined her and the first time on Saturday night. It was very busy and very noisy. We had the misfortune of sitting next to a large table that was occupied with a birthday celebration group when we got there and after they left a big group of nine young women & three men took the table. The food here is excellent but the room is bare walls and glass. It was not easy to hear above the din & we left a bit earlier than we might have othewise. If you like interesting and creative food, you want to eat here. But go on Sunday or an early week night if you want to talk to you dining companions.Special Features:
- Sushi you can count on!dclingVIPDined on 6/20/2014When I need a sushi fix --- I head to SEI. the summer non alcoholic drinks are great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of DissappointingZiPpDined on 6/19/2014After hearing so much about this great Japanese restaurant Sei, we were surprised to find a hipped up venue and lame attempts to create new Japanese dishes. We thought the quality of some sushi was good--Kobe beef roll, fresh hamachi, and decent crab roll--to rather poor--wet pack scallop, insipid red tuna, and wasabi with no heat. Don't waste your time or appetite on wasabe guacamole, what a scam: very ordinary guacamole with a lump of tasteless wasabi on the side. Their "innovative" take on Brussels sprouts is roasted sprouts with bits of chopped kimchee and bits of peanuts. There are also lots of non-sushi items for those who were shanghaied into coming. At these prices and with this hipster noise level, we won't be back.Special Features:
- Father's Day Dinner 2014TeeCeeDined on 6/15/2014The decor is what drew me to SEI, but the service and food brings me back! The Crunchy Shrimp roll is SO delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!BabsDined on 6/15/2014We are season subscribers to STC & eat in Penn Quarter often. We had walked by Sei many times in the past & just hadn't tried it yet; we are so glad we did this time!! The menu is inventive & wonderful; a nice change from what is usually thought of as a "sushi" restaurant. My husband has a guide dog & they were prepared for our arrival, planning which table would be good with room for Sultan to be with us. We will certainly dine here again.Special Features: