SEI restaurant & lounge
444 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
SEI restaurant & lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2027837007x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:00pm - 12midnight
Saturday: 4:00pm - 12 midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Noriyaki Yasutake & Avinesh Rana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from SEI restaurant & lounge
Modern Asian cuisine from award winning Sushi Master Noriaki Yasutake and Chef Avinesh Rana. The intimate space, located next to the Landsburgh Theater, features seating for 70, sushi bar seating 10 and a cozy lounge area. Yasutake & Rana offers their modern spin on traditional sushi, specialty rolls and Asian fare. An extensive half bottle sake list has been specially selected by sommelier, Andrew Stover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SEI restaurant & lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)special occasion (64)romantic (63)hot spot (44)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (31)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (8)notable wine list (6)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Fabulous Seared ScallopscedarVIPDined on 10/28/2014Our table had the guac and wasabi starter then the Bento Box, steak & cheese and the seared scallops for mains. Everything was very good! Highlights for me were the quac & wasabi and the scallops. Wow, I would never have guessed how a pinch of wasabi elevates guacamole! My scallops were perfectly seared and resting on a bed of flavorful squash puree topped with an herb crust and wonderful mmicrogreens; everything was bursting with flavors and textures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sei is great Asian fusion.CatewinDined on 10/23/2014Sei is great Asian fusion good. The sushi rolls are interesting, non-traditional combinations of Asian and non-Asian ingredients. The Brussel sprouts were fantastic, and the rice bowls were great too. Also, the pear sangria was fantastic. It was a little loud though. But I would definitely try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodObserverDined on 10/23/2014The creativity of the chef is amazing. He succeeds in integrating east with west and north with south. Mexican tacos with japanese tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Very much enjoyed the cocktails, sushi and service. Had a good vibe, but was too loud for decent conversation.Special Features:
- I love this place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014I love this place...the service is consistent and the staff is very attentive. It was my mom's birthday and they made it very very special for her.Special Features:
- Great dealPhoebeDined on 10/16/2014From 5-7pm enjoy 3 for $25. Choose cocktail, appetizer, sushi, small plate ... mix and enjoy. Great food. I suggest trying fish and chips sushi roll, the sea bass, short rib and Zen Collins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SushiJenn1269Dined on 10/16/2014We were visiting Washington, DC with our kids, and the long days of walking museums & monuments needed a boost... SEI restaurant was a great surprise find, with exceptional quality sushi, some fun special rolls, and even an impressive list of Japanese whiskey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodgroth13VIPDined on 10/10/2014I've been a lunch time regular for a few years now. Consistently the best sushi in the city.Special Features:
- We love this place5ofaDined on 10/6/2014I have to admit this is definitely not our first time here and most certainly not our last. Their sushi is amazing, the S.O.S. and fish and chips rolls have us addicted. Until next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SEI is Sushi and MorebdaynightVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had a friend visiting from out of town and had an amazing experience at SEI. Food was delicious and creative, service was amazing and the menu had so many gems on it, we WILL HAVE to go back. Sea Bass Sliders and Short Ribs dish gets 5 Stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi ConceptsSJP1Dined on 10/4/2014The most notable aspect of SEI would be their sushi palate. The combination of ingredients utilized in order to create each roll sounds intriguing on paper and tastes better in practice. The myriad of flavors create the intended result with the utmost skill. There is always something to be said about the unknown depths of high quality sushi that is prepared simply. However, in my opinion, SEI produces and affirms the other side of that argument, which is to uphold the stance that marrying seemingly-unrelated flavors into an entirely new idea has high value as well, if done well.Special Features:
- SEI is fabulous!shmophieDined on 9/30/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and we had an absolutely lovely time. The sushi was fantastic and the menu had a variety of interesting and innovative rolls. The service was superb, we were seated promptly and professionally and our waiter was as attentive as could be. The restaurant is a little on the pricey side, which made it perfect for this special occasion.Special Features:
- Sexy SushiRahpatchVIPDined on 9/26/2014I am a big foodie and this is hands down one of the best restaurants in DC. If you like sushi, this is your spot. Very loud esp on a weekend night but great service and great food. Also, the inside is just beautiful. I love coming here!Special Features:
- great foodLocalman355Dined on 9/26/2014It's a little pricey but very good food. Watch out when they ask if you want still or sparkling water. We said sparkling and it was a $8 bottle (we had recently been to Jaleo where they don't charge). The place is pretty, very noisy ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPhoebeDined on 9/24/2014We did the 3 for $25 deal and were happy with our selection. I'd recommend the fish and chips roll any day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceFitGirlDined on 9/20/2014This was my first visit at SEI and I was blown away. I have been at their sister restaurant several times so I decided to give SEI a try. Kobe beef roll was amazing as well as the scallops. Service was attentive and the server's recommendations were excellent. Loved it.Special Features:
- Good, but not strictly sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014The food was good, but it's not your typical sushi place. A little shi-shi for our tastes, but they did a wonderful job and it was a great spot for an adventurous date night. Not a lot of fish, and most of that was heavily covered in other tastes.Special Features:
- SEI Sept 2014Headed4goutDined on 9/13/2014SEI is a slick, loud, hot-spot with good service and an extensive, asian-inspired menu. Visit for the club-like ambiance, the drinks and the lighter fare. Don't come looking for authenticity and don't bother with more substantial dishes because SEI isn't focused on the foodie crowd. The quinoa/edamame salad was pleasant, but more robust dishes (short-ribs and sea bass) were overcooked and underwhelming. The fish tacos were fishy and overburdened by a dollop of some version of thousand-island dressing. The drinks list however was interesting and included the super daiginjo, Kubota (Asahi) Manjyu. The bar also offers good Japanese single-malts like Yamazaki 18 by Suntory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good HHDinerJDined on 9/12/2014Great HH deal, pick 3 for $25. That could be 3 drinks or 3 rolls, you decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention To Detail & Great ServicemouseandhungVIPDined on 9/12/2014A great find for lunch and we'll be back to try the build-your-own hand rolls, only available at dinner. The team approach to service was outstanding and deserves recognition. The food was all well prepared and the sashimi was as fresh, pristine and served in such an artistic manner. The chef obviously knows what he's doing and gets highest marks.Special Features:
- Great place for sushi.DiagirlDined on 9/10/2014Cool vibe more up scale. Service was friendly fast and very accommodating. Enjoyed both their rolls and bowl items. Great place for date or special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely delicious!JfabVIPDined on 9/7/2014We went in a group of 6 people on a Sunday night. The sushi rolls were to die for! Especially the fish and chips roll. The fish tacos were also a great hit. This was our second time at this restaurant, but certainly not the last!Special Features:
- Pretty settingLuv2exploreVIPDined on 9/6/2014SEI has something to offer everyone. I was in the mood for sushi, but friend wanted cooked dishes and SEI melded our needs perfectly. My friend raved about the lemongrass seafood chowder. We also had hamachi, short ribs, duck leg, fish tacos... All had wonderful flavors! The desserts were beautiful endings to our fine meal. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Easy and funLunchDined on 9/5/2014Fun and easy local place. Yummy sushi. Good atmosphere, good service. Easy in and out.Special Features:
- abcdDined on 9/3/2014Delicious lunch in lovely surroundings. Not too crowded.Special Features:
- Great Night OutLunchnVegasVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great time to meet with Friends from out of town; from the endless restaurants in DC, we picked Sei to share with out of town guests to show off the DC flavor. Good times! Not just your standard Sushi; but each item had it's own Flare... Complements to the Chef et. al. !Special Features:
- DisappointingKikiDined on 8/29/2014The menu at SEI is really interesting, and presentation and service are good. The food falls a little short of what I might expect at that price point. We did small plates - the green salad was excellent - good ginger dressing. The scallops were good, but a little tough and two for $13 felt overpriced. The asparagus was good, but the portion was very small - six or eight half stems - of which one or two were woody bases. The chicken salad was excellent - but no trace of the kaffir lime in the description. Dessert was miso bread pudding and although presentation was great, - the pudding itself was glutinous and heavy and no trace at all of any miso flavor. Overall a pleasant enough experience, but I probably won't go back.
- terrific menu selectionsHartfordCTDined on 8/25/2014We ordered small plates to share that were great and the sushi was outstanding. Highly recommend if you are in DC looking for Asian Fusion option.Special Features:
- private and personal in AugustMutantAsianVIPDined on 8/25/2014Happy hour in late August...it was quiet and empty. Very attentive service with excellent, personalized suggestions by the waitress.Special Features:
- Amazing service!saweberDined on 8/23/2014This is a very nice, clean and welcoming atmosphere. A very eclectic design that really works for an asian style sushi resturant. The service is absolutely incredible, you never have an empty glass and dirty and used dishes are very promptly taken from the table. There is always an employee stopping to ask if there is anything you need however they do it very discreetly so as not to intrude on the meal or become annoying. The sushi was not great however, not bad by any means but we have much better and where not impressed with the fish quality or preparation. The Korean tacos and the chocolate desert however where excellent. We also had a very nice bottle of Malbec with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bike stolenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Dinner was awesome... Everything was wonderful until we came out and found our bikes stolen right in front of the spot...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food good service split checksKate0812Dined on 8/19/2014I visited SEI for the first time this week and it was fabulous. They had a special deal where you could get almost any three menu items for $25, including cocktails! Our server, Leah, was wonderful and she even offered to split the check for our group of 11. I got the small plate chilean sea bass, it was to die for. Some fo my friends got the Zen Carlton cocktail. It's like a gin and tonic, but with their house made cucumber soda. I definitely wish I had gotten that myself.Special Features:
- Dinner at SeiMeriEatzDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I love going to Sei: food excellent; outstanding service and the cocktails are uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodnastynaz703Dined on 8/17/2014The food and the service was greattt and our server was very cuteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overrated sushi spotTouristaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Sei was given good reviews across a number of websites, but it was overrated. The sushi was not anything so special. It was good but not good enough to go back.Special Features:
- Savory cuisine, loud ambiancerudydaleVIPDined on 8/15/2014SEI's cuisine is not only savory but quite inventive and unique. I'd never had black rice served in a sushi roll, but it was a marvelous complement to the unusual ingredients inside that roll. The shredded red tuna dish reminded me of specialties offered in the hole-in-the wall restaurants near Tokyo's massive Tsukiji fish market, not very common to find here in the States. Perhaps its the low ceiling at SEI that amplifies the conversations of avid patrons who filled the restaurant to capacity when we visited for a DC Restaurant Week visit for lunch, but the noise level is cacophonous, to the point where you can only have a conversation with the person seated next to you at your table, but not across from you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/2014We for Resturant Week 2014-- perhaps it was the menu but I was not impressed. I prefer their sister Resturant OyaSpecial Features:
- One of my go tos in Penn Quarterkco1987Dined on 8/13/2014I really like this place. I have gone for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed by the food or service. Always get the bread pudding. It is amazing! The restaurant is beautiful. Makes a great date spot too.Special Features:
- Everything was almost perfectmcmcVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food was delicious and just a little bit less than the ideal portion size. Service was the nicest around but sometimes it took a minute to get their attention. Ambiance was very nice but I've occasionally seen better. If there was a category for adventurous menu, that would get 5-stars. One of the few places around that does some very unique menu items, and does them very very well. 100% going back there. I went on a Monday, so that might be why it wasn't as good as I think they can be...so close to getting a 5-star raing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Great! The food was awesome. try the fish and chips roll.Special Features: