SEI restaurant & lounge
444 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
SEI restaurant & lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2027837007x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:00pm - 12midnight
Saturday: 4:00pm - 12 midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Noriyaki Yasutake & Avinesh Rana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from SEI restaurant & lounge
Modern Asian cuisine from award winning Sushi Master Noriaki Yasutake and Chef Avinesh Rana. The intimate space, located next to the Landsburgh Theater, features seating for 70, sushi bar seating 10 and a cozy lounge area. Yasutake & Rana offers their modern spin on traditional sushi, specialty rolls and Asian fare. An extensive half bottle sake list has been specially selected by sommelier, Andrew Stover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SEI restaurant & lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (91)special occasion (66)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (47)hot spot (35)great for lunch (35)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (23)late-night find (11)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- SEI Sept 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/13/2014SEI is a slick, loud, hot-spot with good service and an extensive, asian-inspired menu. Visit for the club-like ambiance, the drinks and the lighter fare. Don't come looking for authenticity and don't bother with more substantial dishes because SEI isn't focused on the foodie crowd. The quinoa/edamame salad was pleasant, but more robust dishes (short-ribs and sea bass) were overcooked and underwhelming. The fish tacos were fishy and overburdened by a dollop of some version of thousand-island dressing. The drinks list however was interesting and included the super daiginjo, Kubota (Asahi) Manjyu. The bar also offers good Japanese single-malts like Yamazaki 18 by Suntory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention To Detail & Great ServicemouseandhungVIPDined on 9/12/2014A great find for lunch and we'll be back to try the build-your-own hand rolls, only available at dinner. The team approach to service was outstanding and deserves recognition. The food was all well prepared and the sashimi was as fresh, pristine and served in such an artistic manner. The chef obviously knows what he's doing and gets highest marks.Special Features:
- Great place for sushi.DiagirlDined on 9/10/2014Cool vibe more up scale. Service was friendly fast and very accommodating. Enjoyed both their rolls and bowl items. Great place for date or special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely delicious!JfabVIPDined on 9/7/2014We went in a group of 6 people on a Sunday night. The sushi rolls were to die for! Especially the fish and chips roll. The fish tacos were also a great hit. This was our second time at this restaurant, but certainly not the last!Special Features:
- Pretty settingLuv2exploreVIPDined on 9/6/2014SEI has something to offer everyone. I was in the mood for sushi, but friend wanted cooked dishes and SEI melded our needs perfectly. My friend raved about the lemongrass seafood chowder. We also had hamachi, short ribs, duck leg, fish tacos... All had wonderful flavors! The desserts were beautiful endings to our fine meal. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Easy and funLunchDined on 9/5/2014Fun and easy local place. Yummy sushi. Good atmosphere, good service. Easy in and out.Special Features:
- abcdDined on 9/3/2014Delicious lunch in lovely surroundings. Not too crowded.Special Features:
- Great Night OutLunchnVegasVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great time to meet with Friends from out of town; from the endless restaurants in DC, we picked Sei to share with out of town guests to show off the DC flavor. Good times! Not just your standard Sushi; but each item had it's own Flare... Complements to the Chef et. al. !Special Features:
- DisappointingKikiDined on 8/29/2014The menu at SEI is really interesting, and presentation and service are good. The food falls a little short of what I might expect at that price point. We did small plates - the green salad was excellent - good ginger dressing. The scallops were good, but a little tough and two for $13 felt overpriced. The asparagus was good, but the portion was very small - six or eight half stems - of which one or two were woody bases. The chicken salad was excellent - but no trace of the kaffir lime in the description. Dessert was miso bread pudding and although presentation was great, - the pudding itself was glutinous and heavy and no trace at all of any miso flavor. Overall a pleasant enough experience, but I probably won't go back.
- terrific menu selectionsHartfordCTDined on 8/25/2014We ordered small plates to share that were great and the sushi was outstanding. Highly recommend if you are in DC looking for Asian Fusion option.Special Features:
- private and personal in AugustMutantAsianVIPDined on 8/25/2014Happy hour in late August...it was quiet and empty. Very attentive service with excellent, personalized suggestions by the waitress.Special Features:
- Amazing service!saweberDined on 8/23/2014This is a very nice, clean and welcoming atmosphere. A very eclectic design that really works for an asian style sushi resturant. The service is absolutely incredible, you never have an empty glass and dirty and used dishes are very promptly taken from the table. There is always an employee stopping to ask if there is anything you need however they do it very discreetly so as not to intrude on the meal or become annoying. The sushi was not great however, not bad by any means but we have much better and where not impressed with the fish quality or preparation. The Korean tacos and the chocolate desert however where excellent. We also had a very nice bottle of Malbec with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bike stolenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Dinner was awesome... Everything was wonderful until we came out and found our bikes stolen right in front of the spot...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food good service split checksKate0812Dined on 8/19/2014I visited SEI for the first time this week and it was fabulous. They had a special deal where you could get almost any three menu items for $25, including cocktails! Our server, Leah, was wonderful and she even offered to split the check for our group of 11. I got the small plate chilean sea bass, it was to die for. Some fo my friends got the Zen Carlton cocktail. It's like a gin and tonic, but with their house made cucumber soda. I definitely wish I had gotten that myself.Special Features:
- Dinner at SeiMeriEatzDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I love going to Sei: food excellent; outstanding service and the cocktails are uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodnastynaz703Dined on 8/17/2014The food and the service was greattt and our server was very cuteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savory cuisine, loud ambiancerudydaleVIPDined on 8/15/2014SEI's cuisine is not only savory but quite inventive and unique. I'd never had black rice served in a sushi roll, but it was a marvelous complement to the unusual ingredients inside that roll. The shredded red tuna dish reminded me of specialties offered in the hole-in-the wall restaurants near Tokyo's massive Tsukiji fish market, not very common to find here in the States. Perhaps its the low ceiling at SEI that amplifies the conversations of avid patrons who filled the restaurant to capacity when we visited for a DC Restaurant Week visit for lunch, but the noise level is cacophonous, to the point where you can only have a conversation with the person seated next to you at your table, but not across from you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2014We for Resturant Week 2014-- perhaps it was the menu but I was not impressed. I prefer their sister Resturant OyaSpecial Features:
- One of my go tos in Penn Quarterkco1987Dined on 8/13/2014I really like this place. I have gone for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed by the food or service. Always get the bread pudding. It is amazing! The restaurant is beautiful. Makes a great date spot too.Special Features:
- Everything was almost perfectmcmcVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food was delicious and just a little bit less than the ideal portion size. Service was the nicest around but sometimes it took a minute to get their attention. Ambiance was very nice but I've occasionally seen better. If there was a category for adventurous menu, that would get 5-stars. One of the few places around that does some very unique menu items, and does them very very well. 100% going back there. I went on a Monday, so that might be why it wasn't as good as I think they can be...so close to getting a 5-star raing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Great! The food was awesome. try the fish and chips roll.Special Features:
- Outstanding, eclectic menugoolerloebVIPDined on 8/6/2014Delicious food! I can't wait to go back and try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantfeliDined on 8/2/2014This is a great place for dinner with the girls or a romantic dinner with a dateSpecial Features:
- Great ButOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014In many respects our meal was first-rate. The food was interesting and well-prepared, and the service was generally attentive. Prices were reasonable. The one downside is the noise--your rating term "energetic" is a misnomer, it was LOUD and sometimes objectionable. I'm baffled as to why it doesn't have better sound control.Special Features:
- PerfectUnforunateVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything was perfect. Great food, wonderful staff, nice decor and affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!!JohnVIPDined on 7/30/2014We honestly came across this restaurant somewhat by chance (searching on Google maps for something near where we happened to be) and were VERY happy that we did! The service was attentive, polite, friendly and yet not intrusive. The food was promptly presented and well-plated, not to mention delicious! The "build-your-own handrolls" were fun and wonderful. And above all the sake collection was impressive. For those looking to spend a little extra, we highly recommend the iceberg sake!! If you are in town and looking for great Asian food / sushi, don't miss SEI!!!Special Features:
- Cool placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/30/2014Interesting and tasty array of roles, fun cocktails, and friendly, helpful service. Cool ambience. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is Lovely!ChristyDined on 7/25/2014My girlfriend and I recently had lunch at SEI for the first time. We found the food quite delicious, but an element of the service was disconcerting. Our server was what I would call invasively solicitous. If you dropped a piece of food on the table she would swoop in and whisk it away. If done just once you could overlook it. However, my girlfriend, eating fish tacos with ingredients that tend to fall out, had it done so many time she commented that she felt like they were dying to put a bib on her and wipe her mouth for her. This is likely just a quirk of one server rather than a restaurant policy, but it really put my friend off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/21/2014Given the menus were dingy and dirty was our first indication this was not going to be the greatest experience. My party of 3 all had stomach issues following the meal and we think it was the wasabi guacamole. Will never return here.Special Features:
- Another great meal yet againMartyJVIPDined on 7/19/2014The Salmon was so delicious we order two plates. The Korean Kalbe Tacos were a little on the dry side (the short rib was dry), and the aligator ribs were yummy.Special Features:
- Average spot.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014The Nigiri sushi and rolls were good, but tiny. I got a refill on my coffee after much delay and the refill was cold.
- Small Plates are TinyzakHMDined on 7/18/2014I was disappointed with the miso soup. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good- I've had better at take-out restaurants. The portions (with the exception of the seafood chowder) were tiny. I expected a small plate to have more than two scallops (three would have been OK) and although the chowder was delicious, the potatoes were underdone. The drinks were great. If you do go to this restaurant, order the No. 6.Special Features:
- Amazing!!misslisaDined on 7/17/2014First time in DC, was there for wrk convention and stumbled upon this place, we were so hungry after landing and getting checked in we'd prob taken about ANYTHING; however what we got by far exceeded our expectations. My mother is traveling there in a few months and I've told her already to MUST stop in. Beautiful atmosphere, amazing lobster roll and fish Asian fusion fish tacos!Special Features:
- Love this place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014This was my second time there and the service, food, and drinks were consistent...what more can you ask for?!?!?!?Special Features:
- Amazing sushi!Tex14Dined on 7/11/2014Came for sushi with a man who learned to love sushi during his time in Japan, and SEI got his ringing endorsement! The only complaint was the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014It's spendy. I can't even imagine what it would be without happy hour prices. Out of my pay grade. Felt the happy hour menu was pretty limited, especially since so few sushi options. But, the kimchi quesadillas were delicious. Kobe beef sliders...would have skipped those.Special Features:
- Great spotMartyJVIPDined on 7/8/2014Love coming here especially for happy hour. Everything on the HH menus is great. Try the liquid wasabi- be cautious it does have a little kick to it for a cocktail. Kobe beef sliders and shrimp quesadilla yum!Special Features:
- GreeneVIPDined on 7/5/2014We are from out of town and our friend suggested we try the restaurant. Our waitress was fantastic, she offered us suggestions and was helpful in making our dinner selections. The food came our within a reasonable amount of time and we did not wait around. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- great dealSusanVIPDined on 7/2/2014Went for the 4th of July special, app, two small plates, dessert and a glass of wine of cocktail for $25, the food was great, would recommned the Wasabi Guac, the salmon, pork buns, and shrimp.Special Features:
- YummyDidiDined on 6/29/2014Delicious Food, great service, and a wonderful ambiance.Special Features: