SEI restaurant & lounge
444 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
SEI restaurant & lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seirestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 783-7007
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:00pm - 12midnight
Saturday: 4:00pm - 12 midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Noriyaki Yasutake & Avinesh Rana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from SEI restaurant & lounge
Modern Asian cuisine from award winning Sushi Master Noriaki Yasutake and Chef Avinesh Rana. The intimate space, located next to the Landsburgh Theater, features seating for 70, sushi bar seating 10 and a cozy lounge area. Yasutake & Rana offers their modern spin on traditional sushi, specialty rolls and Asian fare. An extensive half bottle sake list has been specially selected by sommelier, Andrew Stover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SEI restaurant & lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)special occasion (73)romantic (68)hot spot (54)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (37)great for lunch (31)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (12)notable wine list (9)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good sushi spot!GinaEatsDined on 11/24/2014The fish and chips roll is unique and quite delicious. Definitely worth it if you're in the Penn Quarter area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome evening!!!MegauoohDined on 11/22/2014Took my Girlfriend there for her Birthday Dinner... it was the first time any of us had been there,.. Drinks were on point,, Food couldn't have been better... It def set the mood for the rest of the evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious foodDCReviewer2013Dined on 11/22/2014The food was quite tasty and our server was great. The ambiance is really modern and sophisticated. The only thing I'd forewarn is that outside the sushi rolls, the remainder of the menu is small plates. While they are reasonably priced, it can definitely add up price-wise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sake, cool interior design, musicOliWmDined on 11/19/2014If you're a foodie I wouldn't choose this restaurant as the food is a bit bland and underwhelming, however, if you're not a foodie type I'm sure you'll enjoy the fare. Now if you like ambiance, sake, hip interior design, nice lounge music in the background not too loud, this is a nice spot for a drink, maybe even get the Korean tacos for an appetizer, and the service is pretty good and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warning!Lee41VIPDined on 11/16/2014If you have a theatre curtain, tell the waitstaff immediately and keep on reminding them! We waited more than an hour to get our meals and had to wolf it down and run. [The manager gave us a break on the check.] As we've found on two previous visits, however, the Asian fusion menu is varied and imaginative -- everything we've ordered has been better-than-good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary special!EmilyBVIPDined on 11/12/2014SEI is a favorite of ours anyway, especially before we head to the theaters nearby. But when we went this past week for our anniversary dinner, (also prior to a show) SEI made a special effort to make us feel special. The service is outstanding! Our waitresses recommendations were delicious - the beef tartare especially. The menu is always changing, offering new favorites to compliment old favorites (the fish & chips roll which we hope never comes off the menu). Thank you again so much for making our middle-of-the-week, not that special 3rd anniversary something truly memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinerKMGeatsDined on 11/9/2014Having heard about SEI for some time I was glad to finally go for a pre-concert dinner. Service was quick and the entire staff was courteous and helpful. I loved the Asian Pear Sangria! My group ordered several menu items and shared. The food and atmosphere are great!Special Features:
- scubadiverVIPDined on 11/8/2014Kobe beef sliders. Yum! Fish 'n Chips roll. Yum! Extensive sake list makes me wish I liked sake.Special Features:
- Noise is deafeningCeeJDined on 11/8/2014While the food and service remain very good, the noise level is deafening. My dinner companion had to yell (literally) to hear each other because of the overall noise elevated by very loud diners next to us.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysTmo2013VIPDined on 11/8/2014We had great service and the food was truly unbelievable. we had the bass slides, gator ribs, shrimp burger and a whole bunch of tacos. one better than the other. we love this placeI would recommend this to a friend.
- heilbaumOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Great food, great service, great choice for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Multiple Foodgasms!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. Loved the alligator ribs, the sushi and brussel sprouts. I recommend this restaurant to all lovers of food.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS Sushi!FrancescaDined on 11/6/2014Amazing fresh and unique sushi. A fantastic place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/4/2014Fish tacos and curry seafood chowder were both outstanding.Special Features:
- Not a complete experienceAndrewjbVIPDined on 11/1/2014The Good: The food was excellent. We really enjoyed everything we had. The Bad: Restaurant is VERY VERY loud. The waitress could not hear anything we said. We tried to order drinks three times and she turned her back on us and walked away.Special Features:
- Hot SpotMichaelRDined on 10/31/2014Great place to go close to Verizon center. Fresh Sushi awesome entrees and drink specialties. Service was great food was fresh and creative. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch spotsocialeaterDined on 10/31/2014This was a great place for a girls lunch on a Friday afternoon. It was quiet, but had a great menu and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Fabulous Seared ScallopscedarVIPDined on 10/28/2014Our table had the guac and wasabi starter then the Bento Box, steak & cheese and the seared scallops for mains. Everything was very good! Highlights for me were the quac & wasabi and the scallops. Wow, I would never have guessed how a pinch of wasabi elevates guacamole! My scallops were perfectly seared and resting on a bed of flavorful squash puree topped with an herb crust and wonderful mmicrogreens; everything was bursting with flavors and textures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sei is great Asian fusion.CatewinDined on 10/23/2014Sei is great Asian fusion good. The sushi rolls are interesting, non-traditional combinations of Asian and non-Asian ingredients. The Brussel sprouts were fantastic, and the rice bowls were great too. Also, the pear sangria was fantastic. It was a little loud though. But I would definitely try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodObserverDined on 10/23/2014The creativity of the chef is amazing. He succeeds in integrating east with west and north with south. Mexican tacos with japanese tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Very much enjoyed the cocktails, sushi and service. Had a good vibe, but was too loud for decent conversation.Special Features:
- I love this place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014I love this place...the service is consistent and the staff is very attentive. It was my mom's birthday and they made it very very special for her.Special Features:
- Great dealPhoebeDined on 10/16/2014From 5-7pm enjoy 3 for $25. Choose cocktail, appetizer, sushi, small plate ... mix and enjoy. Great food. I suggest trying fish and chips sushi roll, the sea bass, short rib and Zen Collins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SushiJenn1269VIPDined on 10/16/2014We were visiting Washington, DC with our kids, and the long days of walking museums & monuments needed a boost... SEI restaurant was a great surprise find, with exceptional quality sushi, some fun special rolls, and even an impressive list of Japanese whiskey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodgroth13VIPDined on 10/10/2014I've been a lunch time regular for a few years now. Consistently the best sushi in the city.Special Features:
- We love this place5ofaDined on 10/6/2014I have to admit this is definitely not our first time here and most certainly not our last. Their sushi is amazing, the S.O.S. and fish and chips rolls have us addicted. Until next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SEI is Sushi and MorebdaynightVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had a friend visiting from out of town and had an amazing experience at SEI. Food was delicious and creative, service was amazing and the menu had so many gems on it, we WILL HAVE to go back. Sea Bass Sliders and Short Ribs dish gets 5 Stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi ConceptsSJP1Dined on 10/4/2014The most notable aspect of SEI would be their sushi palate. The combination of ingredients utilized in order to create each roll sounds intriguing on paper and tastes better in practice. The myriad of flavors create the intended result with the utmost skill. There is always something to be said about the unknown depths of high quality sushi that is prepared simply. However, in my opinion, SEI produces and affirms the other side of that argument, which is to uphold the stance that marrying seemingly-unrelated flavors into an entirely new idea has high value as well, if done well.Special Features:
- SEI is fabulous!shmophieDined on 9/30/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and we had an absolutely lovely time. The sushi was fantastic and the menu had a variety of interesting and innovative rolls. The service was superb, we were seated promptly and professionally and our waiter was as attentive as could be. The restaurant is a little on the pricey side, which made it perfect for this special occasion.Special Features:
- Sexy SushiRahpatchVIPDined on 9/26/2014I am a big foodie and this is hands down one of the best restaurants in DC. If you like sushi, this is your spot. Very loud esp on a weekend night but great service and great food. Also, the inside is just beautiful. I love coming here!Special Features:
- great foodLocalman355Dined on 9/26/2014It's a little pricey but very good food. Watch out when they ask if you want still or sparkling water. We said sparkling and it was a $8 bottle (we had recently been to Jaleo where they don't charge). The place is pretty, very noisy ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPhoebeDined on 9/24/2014We did the 3 for $25 deal and were happy with our selection. I'd recommend the fish and chips roll any day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceFitGirlDined on 9/20/2014This was my first visit at SEI and I was blown away. I have been at their sister restaurant several times so I decided to give SEI a try. Kobe beef roll was amazing as well as the scallops. Service was attentive and the server's recommendations were excellent. Loved it.Special Features:
- Good, but not strictly sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014The food was good, but it's not your typical sushi place. A little shi-shi for our tastes, but they did a wonderful job and it was a great spot for an adventurous date night. Not a lot of fish, and most of that was heavily covered in other tastes.Special Features:
- SEI Sept 2014Headed4goutDined on 9/13/2014SEI is a slick, loud, hot-spot with good service and an extensive, asian-inspired menu. Visit for the club-like ambiance, the drinks and the lighter fare. Don't come looking for authenticity and don't bother with more substantial dishes because SEI isn't focused on the foodie crowd. The quinoa/edamame salad was pleasant, but more robust dishes (short-ribs and sea bass) were overcooked and underwhelming. The fish tacos were fishy and overburdened by a dollop of some version of thousand-island dressing. The drinks list however was interesting and included the super daiginjo, Kubota (Asahi) Manjyu. The bar also offers good Japanese single-malts like Yamazaki 18 by Suntory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good HHDinerJDined on 9/12/2014Great HH deal, pick 3 for $25. That could be 3 drinks or 3 rolls, you decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention To Detail & Great ServicemouseandhungVIPDined on 9/12/2014A great find for lunch and we'll be back to try the build-your-own hand rolls, only available at dinner. The team approach to service was outstanding and deserves recognition. The food was all well prepared and the sashimi was as fresh, pristine and served in such an artistic manner. The chef obviously knows what he's doing and gets highest marks.Special Features:
- Great place for sushi.DiagirlDined on 9/10/2014Cool vibe more up scale. Service was friendly fast and very accommodating. Enjoyed both their rolls and bowl items. Great place for date or special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely delicious!JfabVIPDined on 9/7/2014We went in a group of 6 people on a Sunday night. The sushi rolls were to die for! Especially the fish and chips roll. The fish tacos were also a great hit. This was our second time at this restaurant, but certainly not the last!Special Features:
- Pretty settingLuv2exploreVIPDined on 9/6/2014SEI has something to offer everyone. I was in the mood for sushi, but friend wanted cooked dishes and SEI melded our needs perfectly. My friend raved about the lemongrass seafood chowder. We also had hamachi, short ribs, duck leg, fish tacos... All had wonderful flavors! The desserts were beautiful endings to our fine meal. Highly recommended!Special Features: