Second City Bistro
223 Richmond St
El Segundo, CA 90245Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Second City Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.secondcitybistro.com/
- Phone: 3103226085x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Burgers, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alex Pliaconis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can provide offsite catering of all different types. Please call us with questions or to book our catering services.
- Private Party Facilities: With an intimate ambiance, Second City Bistro's event space is completely private, allowing our guests the intimacy their large gatherings deserve. Passed to stationed hors d'oeuvres, buffet to plated entrees, choose Second City Bistro and let us make your large gathering memorable.
- Private Party Contact: Marcela Lauria-White 8777138545
- Entertainment: We have live music on our front patio on the last Friday of every month. Please call for more information. Be sure to make a reservation if you want a table on the front patio as the space fills quickly. The music is also accessible in the bar. Seating at the bar is first come, first serve.
- Special Events: We have 5 course wine dinners every 2-3 months with different vineyards. Please call or check our website to see if we have one scheduled soon. Sign up for our mailing list on our website to receive emails about these dinners.
- Cross Street: Grand
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is usually ample street parking. There is also a free parking lot at the corner of Richmond and Franklin, which is just steps from the Bistro. There is also a free parking structure on the northeast corner of Grand and Richmond. This structure can be accessed by going west on Grand towards Richmond Street and taking a right into the structure.
A word from Second City Bistro
We’re located in the heart of Old Town El Segundo. We offer the experience of simple elegance and serve up what we refer to as American fare with flair. We offer a casual yet upscale atmosphere and are perfect for first dates, happy hour with friends, and even business meetings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Second City Bistro - Best Restaurants in El Segundo ›
Second City Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)great for outdoor dining (23)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (16)notable wine list (11)romantic (10)good for groups (9)great for lunch (7)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Sophisticated but not hecticAlison612VIPDined on 9/24/2014Downtown el Segundo has some great restaurants and this is one of the best. It's a charming, upscale restaurant in a low key setting. Valet parking is available. On a Wednesday night I had no problem finding street parking. The only down side to the entire evening was the Manhattan Clam chowder. I realize that soup in restaurants tends to be salty, but this was off the charts. All I could taste was the salt. The salad made up for it. I had the filet Mignon salad with brie and strawberries. It was excellent. Our waiter was great. I was the first to arrive in our party and they gave me the option of either waiting in the bar or being seated. I appreciated being given the choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, Not GreatGPMLADined on 8/25/2014The waiter never seemed to be around much, so it felt like we were always looking to try and order a drink. Cheese Board was good, but nothing spectacular. I'll go back again for lunch, but probably not dinner.
- Great food, great serviceSouthBayAceDined on 8/16/2014We had a great dinner at Second City this past Saturday night. Been a while since we had been there, and was glad we returned. We had "Land and Sea" (Petite Filet / Shrimp) and Salmon. Both done very well. Got to eat outside on the front patio, which was also very nice.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood SpotDeejayofSouthBayDined on 8/9/2014Good food though not a particularly inventive menu. Ambiance good. Service great. 8 minutes from my house, awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll go backshibaimanDined on 8/5/2014We enjoyed ourselves and our food. We'll go back. The menu has plenty of dishes to suit all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local findOnceaweekdateDined on 8/1/2014Varied menu. Good price range. Really good food. Better than I remember from a year ago. Try the mussels and crab cakes!!Special Features:
- great mealGregwVIPDined on 7/25/2014Really good time in El Segundo! We sat outside and we're able to enjoy the music. Loved my trout. We'll be back.Special Features:
- dinner at 2nd city bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Food overall is pretty good. Tables are placed too tight (close to one another) and table arrangement having tables and booth facing one another made me feel awkward. Service overall was OK to good, but we (2 people) had a reservation were seated at a very small table for 2 where subsequently few other 2 people walk in parties were seated at larger table next and close by me.Special Features:
- pdrdinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014It was our first time dining at Second City Bistro and when we arrived, the reception at the host stand was a little chilly. After we were seated, our server Kelly showed up and changed my whole attitude about the the place. She was wonderful. She made our dining there extremely pleasant. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Great hidden spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2014We ate here during restaurant week, but didn't seem like a "discount" meal at all. We sat outside, really enjoyed the service, and I had a delicious short rib. Loved the martinis as well! Will definitely be going back on our next business trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine LAWukettiDined on 7/19/2014Went here with a group of five for Dine LA. The food was definitely the highlight. Well prepared - a little over seasoned - and delicious. The service was fine. Our table was not not ready at our reservation time so we got a drink at the funky Tiki bar next door and the hostess called me on my cell when are table was ready, which was nice.Special Features:
- Second CityInk1VIPDined on 7/19/2014The food was really good and a nice selection. Was just a little confused when our server/bartender asked if we would like a top off of our wine (when it was not empty) and then charged us for a second glass of wine.Special Features:
- maddogDined on 7/19/2014Hard to decide what to order. Menu was not very exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014It is Dine LA week and tried their preset dinner. My pork chop was thick & juicy and my apple pie a la mode was excellent. The crust on the pie was excellent. I would definitely return for a special occasion as the price are on the high side.Special Features:
- DineLA LunchlittlegDined on 7/17/2014Great value; I think most places of this caliber would go for the $25 dineLA lunch menu but here it was only $15. You got one app and an entree for that price, both really good sizes. The food is tasty, modern, and well made but not too innovative. I really enjoyed my gorgonzola tomato bisque and my friends enjoyed their caprese and kale salad appetizers. My calamari salad entree I was less thrilled about; everything was well made but didn't really make sense together and the calamari were underseasoned. But my friends seemed to really enjoy their dishes - the blackened tilapia was perfect and the burger was promptly inhaled. I recommend this place if you're in El Segundo but wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.Special Features:
- great find!!!!ladylucyDined on 7/14/2014We tried Second City Bistro after finding them for DineLA July 2014. What a great find! While we chose to order from the DineLA menu, the regular menu was quite tempting. We ordered two dishes - braised short ribs and the pork chop dinner. Both were delicious and the meat very tender. The service was great and the ambience was casual. They offer free wine tasting on Monday nights. We will definitely return!!! The only downside is the booth backs need to be dusted. Due to the open nature of the restaurant, that might attribute to the dust.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedGreatVIPDined on 7/8/2014We stopped here for a quick dinner before a long flight out of LAX. The food selection was great and we'll prepared. Only complaint would be a little too much salad dressing. Sauce on salmon was very flavorful. Crab cakes were a little to bread filled but ok. Server was nice and seemed to be well known by localsSpecial Features:
- Second City Bistro Delightcbinca2000Dined on 7/3/2014Second City Bistro is off the beaten path but is worth the effort to get there. Excellent food and service. We sat outside but street noise was not a problem. Very nice and I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new venue in Mission HillsgailDined on 6/30/2014Had the Thai curry mussels - fantastic! It was packed for a Tuesday night....nice crowd and great service. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- A night to rememberChitownvisitorDined on 6/17/2014The food was incredibly good and tastefully presented due to chef Alex Plaiconis' expertise! He ALWAYS makes wonderful food!! The service was top notch as well and the prices affordable for fine quality dining!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for dinnerJoannethevDined on 6/6/2014Found this place on trip advisor. Needed something close to LAX before we left on a flight. Cute place nice patio dining. Very good food. Would definitely eat there again. Nice menu and great drinks tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 86 reviews are from the Second City Bistro reviews archive.
- What a Gem!biggamefoodieVIPDined on 5/27/2014Picked this place off Open Table to celebrate a new job...what a great find!! fantastic menu, wine list to die for, and great pre-dinner cocktails! did I mention the esthetic charm!?!? Beautiful exposed brick and comfy/relaxed decor. I can't wait to come back for more!!Special Features:
- El Segundo RoyaltyBroadwayDined on 5/23/2014Second City Bistro in El Segundo is in its eleventh year and going strong. This relaxed but fashionable restaurant features excellent food that is well-presented and served by an attentive but always professional staff. They've added a full bar to compliment their broad wine list and beer selections. Highly recommended. Try it and you'll come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden neighborhood gemnew2LADined on 5/13/2014Well-known to locals, this small bistro was a good choice for an alternative to the Manhattan Beach hour-long wait. Understaffed on our visit but still good and handled professionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerDmz1964VIPDined on 4/16/2014Food is out of this world, service and friendliness of staff refreshing, killer wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2014I would like to see more local brews served there.
- First Time.FalconerVIPDined on 3/17/2014Very good food but service was very slow! Hopefully it will improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok but I might try it againjessicaDined on 3/12/2014There were a few things that made this a less than great experience. First, the table was wobbly. Most waiters would try to fix that. Not ours. We ordered a cheese plate and he set it down without telling us what they were. I ordered mac and cheese. It was a good-sized portion but: It was bland. The entire evening was a head-scratcher in terms of the food and the service. We were outside though, and it was a nice night . Dessert was good - chocolate creme brulee. Oh, and the bread was amazing. Our waiter said the ingredients can vary so the bread might be entirely different another night. That's a fun idea. I think I would try it again if only because it is in a cute area on a tree-lined street.
- Great FindBillB1VIPDined on 3/8/2014Second City was a great find! Excellent beer list, wine list and a varied menu with several great specials. Will definitely be back next time I'm passing thru LAX.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemNM123Dined on 3/7/2014Like Truxton's in Westchester, Second City is a Neighborhood Gem, partly because there isn't a lot of competition but mostly because it's really a great place and they get it right. You can tell the chef and owner care because they are right there, cooking, serving and taking care of business. The pork chop and sauce was excellent. The wine list was great. The only request we have is more veggie choices for the vegetarian in the family. Service was excellent, good job Tim. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came Up Short This TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/1/2014My husband and I have been to 2nd City Bistro on numerous occasions, but this most recent visit was a bit of a disappointment. I had the surf & turf and it was simply just "okay." The filet mignon was just okay, not very tasty and the shrimp was underwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceClipperjimDined on 2/28/2014Excellent Food and Service is the Standard for this restaurant . We have never been disappointed. We had another couple. Join us Nod now they also know about this gem,Special Features:
- El Segundo Hidden GemKristine314Dined on 2/25/2014Absolutely love this place! Great food, great atmosphere, great service! I had the Cajon Tilapia and not only was the portion HUGE, it was fantastic with mango salsa and sauteed spinach. Happy Hour until 7pm with $2-3 off wine, beer, appetizers, and salads. No fuss about getting HH prices at a table (and not just at the bar). They also have wine tasting events that are fun and interesting.Special Features:
- I'll be here every Monday.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/24/2014Beautiful space (exposed brick, exposed beams, copper touches), generous portions (I had the fried trout and it was nearly as big as my husband's ribeye!), and a great excuse to visit Old Town El Segundo, which is darling. Nicely accessible menu in terms of the range of food and price options. Our meals were delicious, and every Monday, the restaurant has something special going -- wine/ beer/ spirit tastings, or a special wine dinner for two which is a major steal (1 appetizer, 2 entrees + a bottle of wine for $60). I would heartily recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindTiffVIPDined on 2/22/20141st time here and Everything was really nice! The almond crusted fish was very tasty and can't wait to get the puff pastry/banana dessert again. Superb service! Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Post Valentine DinnerValentineDined on 2/15/2014My wife decided to celebrate our Valentine's Dinner on the 15th so I booked a table for two. This is a neighborhood restaurant with local charm. Tucked in the heart of downtown El Segundo the restaurant is small and cozy. The atmoshpere was very friendly and warm. Our table was next to the kitchen however it was not noisy. Service was excellent. While the menu was somewhat limited our server was able to offer options for some not so healthy plates and was very accomadating. Wine list offered a variety of choices for CA and Int'l pours. Overall we had a nice expericne and I would recommend for anyone looking for a casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good, not greatwineguyDined on 2/15/2014Service was prompt and courteous, timing on food was very good, Servers knowledge was very good. The food was good, not great. Both Entrees we had could have been more seasoned and sauced. The Mussel appetizer was the best dish we had.Special Features:
- Pleasurable Valentine's Day dinnerJmanDined on 2/14/2014Not a typical experience at the restaurant since we went on Valentine's Day. The staff was courteous and the three courses came out at the right times. My wife's steak was very well prepared and the best bite of our dishes. The sides and lamb rack were acceptable but nothing especially notable. Did not try the wine but the list seemed impressive. Would maybe come back later to try a lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing menuMartyDined on 2/14/2014I picked 2nd City because of their great food, but when we arrived on Valentine's Day they had a limited menu for this occasion. I did not see my favorites and it was overpriced. I will go their in the future, but not for special occasions. The food I did have was good, but not worth the expense. Also they got one part of our order wrong, but we just went with it to not have to wait for them to redo it.Special Features:
- Lunch at Second City BistroPert1Dined on 2/12/2014Lunch here was excellent. It was a business lunch and we had the burger (outstanding), salad (excellent) and the blackened Talapia sandwich (spicy and very tasty). Service was friendly and all items were served promptly. Prices were reasonable. Ambiance is very nice in downtown El Segundo. Will definitely return!Special Features: