140 South Lake Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.seconewamerican.com/
- Phone: 6264499900x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily from 11:30am
Social Hour from 4:30-6:30pm & after 9:30pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact the restaurant.
A word from Seco
SECO New American is now open at 140 South Lake Avenue! The Smith Brothers have reconceptualized Cafe 140 South to bring you an exciting, new addition to their group of restaurants. SECO features New American cuisine, a vibrant, contemporary space and a lively bar / lounge with a sexy vibe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Seco reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (64)neighborhood gem (48)great for lunch (42)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (27)special occasion (24)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (5)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- SavortoothDined on 9/27/2014I thought the food was very good. Both my husband and I had beef entrees. He had the special, which was tri-tip with mashed potatoes at $28, and I had the steak frites at $23. Both entrees were cooked perfectly; however, I think each of the plates could have benefited from the addition of a green vegetable instead of just the potatoes and beef. We shared a dessert, a pumpkin creme brulee, which was fabulous! We will definitely go back again to try some of the pasta and pizza entrees.Special Features:
- Nice patio great serviceFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 9/26/2014The patio is comfortable and nice and the service is always reliable. The food is average at best, I had the steak this time and it was just OK, really nothing to shout about. I got it medium rare and it was a little tough. The bread was very good and the manager, Thomas is always nice and attentive.Special Features:
- Broken Air ConditioningParkwayRegularVIPDined on 9/13/2014Shortly after starting dinner the air conditioning failed. It was 100-degrees outside and the inside temperature climbed to the 90s very quickly. I understand that air conditioning can break, but Seco made no effort to pacify their customers with a free drink or comp a dessert or corkage. The manager could only say that it was not their fault. This is weak customer service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PJMcVIPDined on 9/13/2014Very good food and service. many great choices on the menu. we go there a couple of times a month.Special Features:
- Unique Menu - great locationPASADENALOCALSDined on 9/12/2014Nice to find a menu that does not follow the traditions of so many restaurants these days. I had a trout dish that was the best I've ever tasted . Only thing better than that was the service. Wait staff and bus staff work together flawlessly.Special Features:
- This week's Lunch in PasadenaVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 9/10/2014This week we went to SECO for our business luncheon. It had been over a year since we had dined here (formerly 140 South/ Croc Cafe); the remodel is impressive and the new look is more modern. However, with the restaurant only being 1/2 full, the noise level grew to energetic very quickly. The kale salad was refreshing without being chewy. We all had the fresh fish special of grilled swordfish with couscous and veggies. Really delicious! The folks next to us ordered the caprese salmon salad which looked amazing. Overall a solid Very Good.Special Features:
- Love it!mickeyDined on 9/7/2014As one of the Smith Brothers restaurants, Seco is one of the best. In fact all the Smith brothers restaurants are fantastic! No matter what the occasion or celebration the food is excellant and the service is the best! If you don't have the time to cook or don't want to cook...go to a Smith Brothers restaurant and enjoy!!Special Features:
- good goodmbk123Dined on 8/23/2014Everything ordered was good. Limited menu but almost something for everyone at least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SECO saves the out of townersKnivesandFireDined on 8/15/2014Thanks to OpenTable I was able to make a reservation on a busy Friday night on short notice (45 minutes). We were promptly seated, the wait staff attentive and took the time to speak with us about the restaurant, the menu, and food and wine pairing even though the place was busy; our server made sure the dining experience was enjoyable. The food was first class in both preparation and presentation. Even though the restaurant was busy, particularly the bar, our server made sure things were delivered in a timely manner. The bartender prepared a custom drink for my wife based on the list of ingredients given to our server. A great evening in a great place. These out of town visitors to the Crown City were glad to have discovered SECO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014amazing food - every single item ordered in our party of 4 was sublime - salmon, swordfish, lamb chops. Well worth the price - we will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Seco is welcoming to childrenDWC1Dined on 8/3/2014The staff was very welcoming to our grandchildren. The 4-year old was asked several times if she wanted a booster chair, she chose not to sit in one. A highchair was offered to the 1-year old, but our daughter had brought her portable booster. The server was sensitive enough of them to not place hot or liquid items directly in front of the children. Good front-house training! I wouldn't hesitate to bring our grandchildren, or any other child to Seco!Special Features:
- HousereportDined on 8/2/2014For the price, the service and food are oustanding. The Kale Salad is fabulous. I went there twice in one week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Smith Brothers SuccessHungryDined on 8/2/2014Casual, but nicely presented menu and ambience. Class American food presented so well. The small plates are well thought out and prepared and the wine and cocktails are first rate. The tradition of the Crocodile with notable refinements. Everyone was pleased with there selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but loudsuperchinkVIPDined on 7/19/2014Tried first time due to LA dine week. Did not think value was special other than tempting to have two large deserts rather than sharing one. Skirt steak was recommended however it was tough and chewy Two oysters, two bites of steak, delicious bread and desert not worth $45.Special Features:
- Great Find!StellaDined on 7/18/2014Great food, love the ambiance, the waiter could have been more attentive to our large birthday group.Special Features:
- Food was great, as was the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Great location, tasty menu. I will definitely be there again for lunch.Special Features:
- Dine LANapaHappyDined on 7/16/2014Was there for Dine LA/B-day celebration on and weeknight. The servicers are fairly attentive. Portions are very generous. The food is good. I like the fact that it has complimentary valet along with the sister restaurant Smitty's. It's a very decent American/California food restaurantSpecial Features:
- Gluten Free (GF)FoodieDined on 7/12/2014We both found that the staff were very helpful with alergies and selection of the food. One of us is gluten free and they have worked with him to make sure his meal was GF. We would recommend this restaurant as this is our third time dining here.Special Features:
- msaltadenaDined on 7/6/2014Excellent service. Staff was very helpful and attentive. Lovely presentation of food too.Special Features:
- much improvedmfoodieDined on 7/4/2014Food very good. Service outstanding and new maître'd very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PSILoveFoodVIPDined on 7/3/2014Good business lunch spot. Good service. There were some weird bugs flying around, which was extremely annoying.Special Features:
- One of my fav places in Pasadena.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014Second time visiting and loved it again. Had artichokes and Salmon. Both were exceptional. Check this place out - nice atmosphere, great food and reasonable prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't believe this is Smith Bros.RosecityfoodieDined on 6/27/2014Very disappointing place. Service was poor but in an overly-attentive, un-trained way. Clearing appetizer plates before they we finished-clearing and setting at weird times. Drinks sat empty for 10 minutes. Pizzas were okay, trout was amazingly salty in certain spots - like they spilled it in spots. I love Chop house, Smittys, and Parkway - what is this place??? Seems like a restaurant that opened yesterday and can't figure itself out...
- Pleasant DinnerRedovergeren50Dined on 6/27/2014The new menu is a small one but a good one. The shrimp-pear salad is a high point. Smoked lavender vodka gimlets were AMAZING! We had the kobe burgers which were cooked exactly as ordered. Little sparse on the fries that came with them, maybe 10 shoestring fries on each plate. Added half a dozen cowboy oysters, fresh and tasty. The pork lettuce wraps are alright; pulled pork tasted like that you get pre-prepared for the microwave. The chicken wings were tasty with a little kick but 4 tiny wings for that price is a bit much. Would I come back? Yes, for the burgers and the gimlets. The wings, as I said, were good, just over priced for 4. Service was good once server got to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch spot in PasadenaSteakloverVIPDined on 6/27/2014Seco is the new addition to the Smith Brothers chain of restaurant. Its a cute spot for lunch. Parking is difficult but you can valet park in the back for complimentary if you know about it. We ordered a few items to share and for the most part it was ok. I do think that the Smith Brothers Arroyo Chop House and Parkway Grill are their stars. This one was just ok.Special Features:
- Good for lunchIdigumDined on 6/23/2014Parking is a hassle. It's best if you can just walk there. Food was good. Wouldn't go out of my way to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for sixLAPhil13VIPDined on 6/21/2014We went there for a dinner following a late afternoon concert. We enjoyed all the food we ordered (notable: the Kale salad was fantastic), and had great service (from CJ). Definitely worth a try.
- Excellent bar & very good foodhshimminDined on 6/21/2014We met friends for drinks and "hors d'oeuvres" on the patio, both excellent. Seco offers a wide range of superior whiskey, and whisky, and excellent cocktails, in generous portions. The street tacos and salads tended to be a bit spicy, but flavorful is always better than bland. The patio area was busy but not so noisy to make visiting problematic. I'm sure we'll return to try the dinner entrées.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlieVIPDined on 6/20/2014We love Smith Brothers restaurants. They always are consistent and they always deliver. Seco is spot on! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smith Bros do it againRljcsVIPDined on 6/18/2014Seco is a great restaurant. This location has transformed several times, but I think it has hit the mark this time. The food is delicious and inventive in an unpretentious setting.Special Features:
- Glad I came backcatdinnerVIPDined on 6/18/2014I was at Seco when it first opened and the food and service was horrible. Much improved. I am glad they got better. Love the special mahi mahi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice staff, good food.lovePasadenaDined on 6/15/2014I have been there only twice and sat on the patio both times. Excellent. The hostess and the waitresses were outstanding, willing to modify our orders to suit little children and adult preferences. Fabulous. The inside is dark and noisy so I doubt I would want to sit there. They need larger bathrooms so you don't have to wait in the hall.Special Features:
- NiniVIPDined on 6/15/2014We have always loved the Smith Brothers' restaurants and Seco, it's newest reconceptualization, was no exception. Regretfully, we were disappointed with the Father's Day Brunch menu and the unimaginative preparation of the dishes. We will probably not be back for brunch. Perhaps they should just offer a lunch menu as they have in the past..... The Huevos Rancheros were dull, the omelet bland and the breakfast potatoes uninspired. The bartender had difficulty making a Bellini -- a relatively common brunch cocktail. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- ....a must!LuvtheirpastaDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I were completely taken back....the food was absolutely incredible. The wood fired pizza...amazing and the thai salad was the same.....and just for giggles...start off with their artichoke!! Unlike no other.....the entire meal was a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks!BillVIPDined on 6/13/2014Our food was great but the imaginative drinks were the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seco is fun for everyoneLadydi7VIPDined on 6/13/2014great experience. We dined outside towards the large courtyard due to noise level inside. Started with poppers!!! The BEST!!! Seated next to some people who had their two dogs with them which we thought was rather charming.The wait staff was outstanding...the assistant manager, Eric? even got us an extra popper as there were 3 of us with only 8 poppers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will recommend to friends for sure!jawbDined on 6/13/2014Great service, delicious food, and nice atmosphere. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatloveithereDined on 6/8/2014Always excellent. We love the menu. The kale salad is our favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience at Seco!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014We loved our food at Seco. We went for a graduation lunch. All 6 of us loved our food. Our waitress, Sarah, was very attentive. We liked the new remodel. We'll definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kind of boringOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/5/2014Been to the other Smith restaurants a lot-- decided to try this one. Uninspired cooking. Wasn't cheap either. Not worth the money unless they do more with their food
- The following 374 reviews are from the Seco reviews archive.