221 South Fifth St
Springfield, IL 62701Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sebastianshideout.com/
- Phone: 2177898988x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Oliver
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sebastian's is equipped to cater your event no matter what the size. From a business lunch for 10 or a 300 person reception.
- Private Party Facilities: Sebastian's Hideout is ideal for a casual business meeting, or a lovely place to have some fine wine and a one of a kind gourmet dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8557817469
A word from Sebastian's Hideout
Sebastian’s Hideout is one of Springfield’s premier fine dining destinations. Located in the heart of historic downtown within blocks of the Hilton & President Abraham Lincoln Hotel and the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library. Sebastian’s offers an oasis from the stuffy big city fine dining with a friendly professional staff and central Illinois pricing. An award winning wine list is offered to compliment the “French fusion” cuisine styles of Chef John Oliver. We invite you to call us directly for reservations or to book your next event in our private room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sebastian's Hideout reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (6)special occasion (6)fit for foodies (4)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Nothing specialDiningdivasDined on 9/6/2014The steak my boyfriend had was tough and had a lot of fat in it. It was the steak special for the day. I would recommend sticking with the filet on the menu. The dessert was great and the service was ok. Like I said nothing special.Special Features:
- PacerDined on 9/6/2014Not a regular, since an out of towner. But that said, frequent trips to Springfield have included visits to Sebastian's over the years. Think it's time to try new places. Old atmosphere, too loud music, inconsistent service (although our server tried her best), and just ok food make it time to rethink. Several years ago it was a "can't wait to go" place but now it's just a yawner.
- 4goodfoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Sebastian's never disappoints! The lobster bisque soup was great and our entrees were very tasty. Good value for the quality and quantity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great service.ThagDined on 6/27/2014I made online reservations 6:40 for a 7:00 seating. In my online reservation I requested two glasses of champagne be waiting on our table. The staff did not disappoint. The champagne was waiting and I had a wonderful dinner with my wife. The food was fantastic and the service attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but expensiveConstantReaderDined on 6/24/2014We choose Sebastian's to celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary. We would not have gone there had we not had a gift card. The service was very good and so was the food, but we felt that the meal was over priced. Probably won't be going back, which is a shame because the place is very romantic.Special Features:
- I really liked this resturauntOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Excellent food and service with a little classic rock playing niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Sebastian's Hideout reviews archive.
- Nice hideout for a rendezvous!GayleDined on 5/2/2014We sat in a back booth… enjoyed the privacy and romance. Great martini menu- loved the Bellini martini. I had a beet salad that was delicious, my partner had the caprese which was artfully layered with asparagus. We shared the sesame tuna dinner. Also delicious. I would recommend, and I would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorriblefrankiebDined on 4/18/2014Can't explain in 27 characters or less how horrible this restaurant experience was. Given more space I could explain.
- OkayRandyDined on 3/29/2014It was nice, but for a nearly $200 meal for 2 I just expected more. I'll go back but it will be awhile.Special Features:
- Exceptionally Good FoodsxfoodDined on 3/17/2014As always the food and the service were exceptional.Special Features:
- The experience overall wasCouplesnightoutDined on 3/12/2014The experience overall was outstanding. Thank you for a great experience! I will be back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and relaxed, this venuebeeladyDined on 3/7/2014Quiet and relaxed, this venue was a special treat. The presentation of the items served was lovely. A particular hit was the sesame crusted Ahi tuna. In the future, I will avoid the fried foods (appetizer sampler), but the rest for our party of five was creative and delicious! We will be back.Special Features:
- I had reserved a table forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014I had reserved a table for 2 from the online reservation option. I do not recall having an option when making the reservation to request a booth or table. Upon arriving with my date for my reservation (and I was early) I observed the restaurant was not at all busy and in fact there were at least 3 or 4 booths available. I requested a booth looking for a more romantic setting withh my date, and and was told the restaurant was "very busy" and the booths were reserved. Really? Anyway, I was seated at a nice table and throughout dinner I observed the same booths were never occupied. In fact, the restaurant did not seem busy at all. I felt as if perhaps I didn't know the "right person" to get a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Not sure about the food here. Reserved a table for valentines day. Arrived to find the restaurant extremely cramped due to the placement of extra tables to accommodate valentine diners. We were placed at the rear of the restaurant and had to squeeze past other couples already dinning to reach our table. When seated, we were so close to the table next to ours that it practically became one big picnic table experience. This may be fine for a work lunch but not for a romantic dinner date. There prices were high but that may be relative to the quality of the meal which we did not stick around to try. So maybe try this place on a normal night but avoid if a special holiday and you would like a quiet romantic dinner option.
- poor ambienceliketoeatDined on 2/13/2014To use the restroom guest were required to walk through a meeting with a projection screen in the direct path of the restrooms. There was no way to avoid this. Also water stain on ceiling, ripped and stained seat cushions. This does not say - fine dining. Also a hand written note on the door asked deliveries to be sent to another door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant but unpretentious.jas638Dined on 1/18/2014Great and cozy place for dinner with friends. Their famous tomato ginger bisque did not disappoint. The sea bass special was perfection - great flavor and perfect accompaniments. One of our group had the beef duo and thought it could use a tastier sauce. Service was professional but friendly - never interruptive. Wine list was comprehensive and the server was very helpful in our selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitwjparkerVIPDined on 12/26/2013Visting A. Lincoln sights for the first time and ate dinner here with my wife. Excellent food, very nice choices in their wine list, excellent service, a very pleasant surprise. Between the two of us, had crab cakes and lamb, all done perfectly with great taste. Salad was even quite good. Had three personal great choices of red wine to choose from, and all bottles were half price, which allowed us to take two bottles home. Atmosphere was alive yet quiet, allowing us to talk easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frst time dinersmrrabDined on 12/23/2013Went to Sebastian's for the first time for our Company holiday dinner. The menu offers a great variety. The food and presentation was wonderful. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionBowieJDined on 12/16/2013We enjoyed the dinner as it was my husband's birthday. We eat out frequently so dinners were eclectic and one of our favorites for Springfield, Il. I was disappointed in that I mentioned it as a special occasion for my husband's birthday and no dessert or special offer for this special occasion. I would have expected them to know ahead of time to ask me since I wrote it in the reservation as well. This is a great place if you are a foodie. The sea bass and filet mignon was melt in your mouth. The other steak (sirloin etc ) not much although still had the right flavor. Worth going in comparison of all the restaurants in Springfield, Il. for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemSpringfieldSonVIPDined on 12/6/2013After reading other reviews of this restaurant on OpenTable, we decided to give it a try. I had a sliced tuna steak encrusted with toasted sesame seeds and covered with a warm mustard slaw. My wife had a combination beef steak filet and crab cake entree. Both were excellent, and since we didn't have a salad or dessert, we are anxious to return and sample these. Our server was friendly and attentive. The restaurant was not busy on a cold Friday evening, but there was a private party in the bar downstairs, which increased the noise level from very quiet to the point where it became a little difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hide from this hideoutFoodieVIPDined on 12/5/2013Ate in the basement, there was a musty/mildewy smell that was covered up by scented candles. Food was ok, but way overpriced for what we received. Bread tasted "chemically" and was more doughy than bread. My rack if lamb was well cooked and at temp (med rare) just very fatty...and the white bean cassoulet that it came with tasted like it came from a jar...mushy beans and bland. Also for a restaurant that claims it uses seasonal ingredients...umm asparagus in December, yeah that's not very seasonal. My date's salmon was dry, overcooked and lathered with a buerre blanc sauce that was cloyingly heavy.
- Springfield NightsVladCarsteinDined on 10/11/2013There isn't a huge amount going on in downtown Springfield on a Friday night, (though its getting better) but if a quiet good meal with your spouse is what you are looking for, try Sebastian's Hideout. The décor isn't special, but then you don't eat the décor. Get the for two appetizer plate, order a glass of wine (or beer, if you don't mind bottles) and relax. Service is good, food is good (though not cheap...expect to pay close to a hundred bucks for two. Check out the crab cakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Place AdventurePaigeDined on 10/5/2013Everything was really great. Great food and a private type of scene. Service could have been a little better but overall it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and OutstandingClarkDined on 9/24/2013The food was very delicious and the presentation was exceptional. Our server was very kind, professional, and courteous. Overall, an outstanding dining experience in downtown Springfield.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the Top!!EatOutTooOftenDined on 9/14/2013Wow! We had not been to this restaurant in several years and decided it was time to go back. We invited another couple (clients) and expected a halfway good meal. Every part of this experience exceeded our expectations. The service was excellent from the moment we stepped in the door, the wine list had a great selection of reds and whites, and the food was exceptional. Four of us ordered four different entrees, and each of us was raving about our selection. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunches... Fabulous Dinner!MorzDined on 9/5/2013We have eaten here for lunch on numerous occasions but this was our first time for dinner. The food was outstanding! Our server was delightful and great at recommendations. It was really a great dinner celebration for family and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Springfield restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2013I love a good restaurant and am a little hard to please. The food here is all wonderful - this was the best lobster I have ever eaten - not tough at all and everything that everyone had - from appetizers to dessert - was absolutely perfect. I don't usually do reviews - okay, this is my first - I just to tell the Sebastian's people how wonderful everything was and that I appreciate that the prices were very reasonable. Great service also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Some usual fareBachDined on 8/23/2013Great food. Some usual fare but done with a twist and done very well.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!!SpflddinerDined on 8/21/2013Outstanding from the moment we walked through the door. Staff was professional, attentive and helpful. The meal was incredible!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way Better than ExpectedRogerDined on 8/12/2013I am not from Springfield and am snooty when it comes to restaurants. Thus, I was disappointed when I couldn't get into my first choice for a party of eight that included Chicago friends, some of whom are equally snooty. The outside of the restaurant is garish. It's a bit dark inside. And, it appeared to me that there was not enough staff. Boy, was I wrong! Sebastian's staff rolled with the fact that our Chicago contingent was caught in traffic and arrived 30 minutes late. Service was friendly and prompt. All of the dishes were really good. I had elk that was medium rare, not at all chewy or "gamy". Those who had a fish trio said it was excellent. I'll go back and bring the snootiest of my friends!Special Features:
- Food had a unique flair andJCDonlyDined on 8/10/2013Food had a unique flair and was tasty. Service was very informative and friendly, yet they could have used one more staff member that night. It was a Saturday night. It was moderately quiet which I liked. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Curtain BoothsFoodieDined on 8/5/2013This is a treasure for Springfield. Chris, our server was wonderful, food excellent and all within walking distance of downtown hotels. There were several unique areas of decorating. We loved the red curtains containing intimate booth seating. Downstairs was the "party area" with a lovely large bar and ample seating. Just when you are completely satisfied with the entire dining experience, you find. A martini bar which opens late and closes sometime in the morning hours. Who could ask for anything more. I will be dining there again when I return to the Capitol City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Springfield GemelwoodDined on 7/27/2013We picked Sebastian's for our trip to Springfield after researching many Springfield restaurants. The lighting was very low and the booths are set up old speakeasy style. To us, that was really cool. 1 booth, which we were lucky enough to be seated in, had a dimmer switch, which allowed us to dial the lighting down to candlelight dinner, perfect for our anniversary celebration. The lobster bisque and crabcakes were very good, the scallops and roast chicken breast were outstanding. The yummy blueberry sorbet had chunks of fresh blueberries in it. If there was a way to do 4.5 stars above, that's what I would have selected. The service was great. If we ever visit Springfield again, one of our stops will be to Sebastian's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerPhrjeffDined on 7/9/2013I had the steak and crab cake combo and it was delicious. I would recommend this place if you are visiting Springfield.Special Features:
- Unexpected GemOverdressedDined on 5/22/2013Chose restaurant on-line because it was within walking distance of Hotel and crossed my fingers that it would be a good destination for a romantic Wednesday night Birthday dinner. Was pleased upon arrival with the bustle in the downstairs bar and the charming curtained booth. Staff was excellent, food was special and the overall ambiance enhanced our celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/7/2013We had a great waitress who was very friendly, made some great suggestions for dinner and was very timely with her service. I would highly recommend them for a nice romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was good. The restauranttruthtellerVIPDined on 5/6/2013the food was good. The restaurant was too dark. Could barely see. The service was horrible. Took us 2 1/2 hrs to get served our complete meal. I am in Springfield often and usually eat at Sebastian's at least once each stay, but after this exerience, I a recosidering
- Nice restaurant in SpringfieldHappyVIPDined on 5/4/2013We had a group of 6 and everyone was happy with their meal. Kind of dark--I like soft lighting but it would have been too dark for elderly people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambience and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Excellent ambience and service. The scallops were melt in your mouth delightful. It is my favorite Springfield up-scale dining establishment.Special Features:
- Not as good as expectedEllenVIPDined on 4/6/2013We were in Springfield and researched where to go. This came up as best choice. Our waiter was great, patient and pleasant. The tuna appetizer and beet salad get 4 stars. Dinner was less successful. Best was the tuna--flavorful with sesame crust. The presentation was lovely. I would have preferred the tuna rare, but waiter said they serve med. rare so I went with it. The scallops and ribeye specials seemed overpriced. The short ribs seemed dry rather than juicy. So our evening was nice but not spectacular. It seemed expensive for Springfield--I eat similar meals for less in St Louis.