Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
2121 Terry Ave
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.seastarrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (206) 462-4364
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: John Howie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Weddings, private dinners, theme parties, cooking classes or special events. Seastar's professional off-site catering team can take care of your needs. Your menu will be designed specifically for your event by Chef Howie. We are a full service provider, taking care of all your tables, chairs, rentals, linen, service, entertainment and food and beverage needs. See our website, www.seastarrestaurant.com, for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Seastar Seattle enjoys the ability to host groups up to 16 in our Seastar Executive Room, with a dedicated service staff and full media capabilities.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 2064624364
- Cross Street: Denny Way
- Public Transit: The South Lake Union Transit rail-car is available, stopping at the Whole Foods Market (we are up the stairs).
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available for both lunch and dinner. Validated parking in the garage beneath the restaurant (off of 9th Ave) is also available.
A word from Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
Acclaimed chef/owner John Howie returned to Seattle in early 2009 with his second Seastar Restaurant, located on the corner of Westlake and Denny Ave., above Whole Foods Market. The inspired menu rotates seasonal specialties and northwest favorites, while our Raw Bar offers a host of ceviche, poke, sushi, and freshly shucked oysters. The understated atmosphere of our dining room suits any occasion, casual or formal, and our award winning service staff looks forward to carefully attending to your every need. Welcome to Seastar Seattle, the city’s premier seafood dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)special occasion (83)romantic (54)good for groups (50)notable wine list (48)great for lunch (45)neighborhood gem (39)hot spot (13)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great food and great service.greatplaceDined on 6/28/2014Everything was perfect. This place rocks with an affordable menu and great food. Chef Howie nailed it with this place !Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Cornucopia of tastesRK42VIPDined on 6/27/2014We sampled soup, salad, a main course, an appetizer. Everything was perfectly cooked/prepared. Tastes were showstoppers! We are still talking about the Thai soup. We reviewed John Howie's cookbook & plan to purchase it. How can you do such a fantastic job with Manilla clams, scallops??? Well they did. We will return. We walked from 8th and Olive in the rain. It was worth the effort. Great wine list. Great waiter. Truly a fantastic night and priced appropriately. We think it is a 'must visit' stop in a town of amazing food at every turn.Special Features:
- IzzyDined on 6/26/2014Great restaurant. Very pricey. Good for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny Portions for Big BucksGogogammaDined on 6/26/20141st time in Seattle and craving salmon, so we ordered the sampler dinner: it turned out to be thimble-fulls of each course: plank salmon, pasta with smoked salmon and spring sweet peas, filet mignon and strawberry rhubarb pastry. Most everything was delicious, except the pasta dish. The cream sauce was bland and the peas had long given up their sweetness. The portion sizes were quite meager for $80. In their defense, the chef listened to my complaints and invited us to come back to try a regular menu entree. He even gave us a box of decadent truffles as a way of apologizing for our disappointment. All in all it was a pleasant experience, and while I do recommend the restaurant, I would never recommend the sample plate.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!LilianaVIPDined on 6/26/2014I ate sashimi and it was incredible! The new restaurant manager is very friendly and I know he will do an amazing job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/24/2014I thought the food was ok, but overpriced for what you got. $40 for a dozen oysters at lunch? That is a bit outrageous. $12 for an Absolute cocktail? Crazy. $122 for lunch and we were hungry when we left. Would not go back.
- Can't complainAnotherJenDined on 6/20/2014The food was quite good. The service was great. We had a great evening. Nothing to complain about. But nothing felt special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!foodwinelifeDined on 6/15/2014Fish dishes spectacular, dessert over the top, terrific wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seastar is 5 StarsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014This was our third time dining at Seastar, and I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Jason ROpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2014this was the best salmon i have ever had and the wine pairing was superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood placeMichaelADined on 6/7/2014This is a great value. The food is very good, ambience and wait staff excellent but the prices are really good compared to other finer seafood spots.Special Features:
- First dinner in SeattleDieselDined on 6/7/2014My wife had the chef's 5 course special with the wine pairing. Excellent. My Parmesan halibut might have been even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable for great dinnerDaveTLVIPDined on 6/5/2014Because I work across the street, I wind up stopping in here frequently. Great spot for lunch, service is always excellent, very good wine list with interesting wines available at smaller pours for tasting. Food is always excellent. Several times I've brought medium to large groups in and they have handled them with aplomb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RodAVIPDined on 6/2/2014This was a great start to our Seattle vacation! The seafood was great and the service excellent. Our server, Jessica, was very friendly.
- DragonDined on 5/31/2014Food was "good" but not memorable. Overpriced considering the quality. One step above Anthony's Seafood. Service was outstanding
- Great seafoodDaveVIPDined on 5/31/2014This was our first time at Seastar. We both had sockeye salmon and it was great. We ate early at 5:00 pm so restaurant was not very busy. Service was good, but facility seems pretty worn and outdated.Special Features:
- LovechocolateVIPDined on 5/28/2014The food was good, bread basket does not compare with seastar in Bellevue or john howie. The crab legs are delish, my pear martini excellent. The chocolate truffles were to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.FrancescaVIPDined on 5/26/2014We visit Seastar whenever we are in Seattle. The quality of their seafood is outstanding and the service is excellent. There were a couple of hiccups this time, though. The Copper River salmon was overdone (it should have been medium rare). We didn't send it back because we dislike making a fuss. And the martinis weren't as good as usual; they were watery. But we still enjoyed the evening; just wanted to give a little heads up to the staff.Special Features:
- Seastar_SeattlebillkoehDined on 5/24/2014Food was great except the Applewood smoked salmon. It needed some sauce over it. It was also ordered medium and came out med-rare. The person who ordered it couldnt eat it because it was so rare in the middle. For $45 it was ridiculously overpriced. As usual with restaurants like this entrees are small and pricey. Sauces were excellent and drinks good. We had the "trio dessert sampler" plus the banana spring roll and they were excellent. For 3 of us our bill was $204 without tip.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceSnappercarrDined on 5/18/2014My steak was over cooked and we were never approached for another drink.
- Exquisite !OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014My husband & I dined there most recently on May 17, 2014; it was our 1 year wedding anniversary. We had dined there exactly on year earlier with a party of six; it was our wedding dinner. In both instances, the food was outstanding and the service unparalleled ! On our 2013 visit, the waiter quickly made rapport with our party and was able to identify that each of was a little different in our needs and levels of food & wine knowledge. He catered to us individually and collectively and really guided us on selections that made for a wonderful meal and experience ! This year, I had made indicated when making the reservation that it was our anniversary. We were wished "Happy Anniversary" no less than 3 times; including once from the mgr.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seastar gets 5 starsfoodieworldVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had dinner here for the first time on Saturday night as part of a celebration. We had both been to the Bellevue location a number of times, and I had been to the bar at the Seattle location for happy hour, but never to the dining room. It was beautifully appointed -- casually elegant. All the waitstaff was very attentive, the dishes were described with great accuracy, and the waiter was very gracious. Beautiful setting, great food, and service -- definitely a 5 star experience!Special Features:
- Shellyvball14Dined on 5/11/2014The food was excellent. The selection of food, appetizers, salads, drinks was unreal. Seafood is their specialty. Sushi was impressive.Special Features:
- not enoughfeedmeseymourDined on 5/11/2014The food was good, the service was great, the food presention was great. the portions for the amount of money paid was not enough. 70$ for the shared plate of food we got might have filled me up but not two of us. I was starving after eating there. We had crab and no melted butter was served I felt that was kind of odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the money chargeddisappointedfoodieDined on 5/9/2014We were disappointed with the quality of the sushi and the overall pricing for the quality of the food. The sushi wasn't comparable to other restaurants that are at half the price.Special Features:
- Great Service on a special DaySnowmanDined on 5/6/2014I took my wife there for our 20th Anniversary. Prior to arriving, I called the restaurant to inquire about any local florists that could deliver roses to the table before we got there. The manager got on the phone and said she would take care of it. Upon arrival, my wife was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful bouquet of 2 dozen red roses on the table. The staff greeted us and wished us Happy Anniversary and brought us champagne. The food was outstanding and the customer service was top notch. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Reliably deliciousPDDoc2Dined on 4/29/2014I can always count on Seastar to have delicious food that is impeccably prepared and excellent waitstaff.Special Features:
- Wonderful!NeesyVIPDined on 4/23/2014Seastar did not disappoint! From the service to the raw bar to the wine list to the food.... Everything was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have the tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/23/2014I had been to the Bellevue location before, but this was my first chance to have the tasting menu in the downtown location... must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!DottDined on 4/15/2014I love this restaurant. There is ample space between the tables. The carpet allows for a greatly decreased noise factor. I could not hear my neighbor talking. The food was excellent. The presentation was exquisite and the spices gave it a flavor, jusqu'au point. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- Seattle Restaurant Week HighlightKatharinaDined on 4/14/2014Great food. Great amount of food (not too little, just right for the average sized person). Kind and observative staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Wine and ServiceBTHartDined on 4/13/2014We were in Seattle for 3 nights and Seastar was the best meal we had during the trip - and the other meals were delicious. This was just beyond good food - superb! If we didn't have commitments with friends/family that took us elsewhere, we would have eaten here again. I would go to Seattle just to eat at Seastar again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and misskrisscoDined on 4/13/2014Pros: Atmosphere is very nice. Noise level is quiet. Kitchen is fast. There is plenty of service (lots of staff standing around). Cons: Service was not overly friendly, and seemed indifferent. Food: Food was hit & miss. The calamari ceviche was good. The tomato bisque was nothing special. The pork loin, potatoes, and greens were amazing! The seafood capalini was so-so. 2/3 of the dessert trio were great, but the molten chocolate cake was more like a congealed under-sweetened sponge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Evening!countrygirlVIPDined on 4/12/2014We visit Seattle once a year and usually stick to the same restaurants. This year we had heard good things about Seastar and made the switch. We were very impressed! Our server Pedro was wonderful, the wine selection was great and our meals were excellent! Every dish was thoughtfully prepared to maximize the flavors and the presentation was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seastar a star!cstumpDined on 4/12/2014Great experience. Usually a large group of nine would be difficult for a restaurant but Seastar performed amazingly. We were seated at a roundtop in a quiet corner so conversation with all was easy. Service was topnotch even with a timeline so that we could make the theater. Pacing was smooth but not rushed, suggestions for gluten-free diners was expertly given. Food was varied and in all cases, well prepared and presented. In all, an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Business LunchPenguinschuDined on 4/11/2014I have taken clients to Seastar in the past and the experience was excellent. This time was no different. The restaurant is bustling, but organized. The food is exceptional and the service level is top tier. They never make you feel rushed and are always around at just the right moment. A very nice way to treat a business associate to lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointssuzellaVIPDined on 4/10/2014We have always had a superb dining experience at Seastar, both food wise and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experience here was quiteez2luvlifeDined on 4/7/2014Our experience here was quite outstanding. We recieved the best service by a restaurant in a long time. Plus the food was outstanding despite being Restaurant Week. The superb seafood and sushi was any foodie's dream. Our final surprise, a delicious truffle in a gift box because to take home because it was our anniversity.Special Features:
- Fabulous Restaurant Week Dinner!MItravelerDined on 4/7/2014My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to dinner at Seastar for Restaurant Week. Everything was top notch. Easy, free (after 6) parking, which is unusual in this busy area). I had asked for a quiet table on Open Table, which they provided. Our waiter, Roy, was attentive, knowledgeable, and helpful in choosing excellent wines for our main course. We both got the ancho rubbed steelhead, which was melt-in-your-mouth awesome! My husband got the "trio" dessert, which he gobbled up and pronounced delicious; I got a wonderful Creme Brûlée. Forgot mention the bread--my husband told me, "if you eating, you'll never stop!" I didn't start :). We'll be going to try their fixed price pairing menu, which looks great as well.Special Features:
- April LoveTruthDined on 4/7/2014I was discussing which location of Seastar to visit with owner John Howie a few months ago and he recommended the Seattle location and said the service was a bit more formal there. We could not have been more pleased taking his advice. The ancho smoke flavored steelhead fillet over the rustic mashed potatoes simply melted in our mouth and the intense flavors of the 3 components of the Seastar tower appetizer ( shrimp, scallop and crab cake ) made choosing a favorite tricky. My vote was for the shrimp but just by a tail. Service was polished. Try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.