Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
2121 Terry Ave
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.seastarrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (206) 462-4364
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: John Howie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Weddings, private dinners, theme parties, cooking classes or special events. Seastar's professional off-site catering team can take care of your needs. Your menu will be designed specifically for your event by Chef Howie. We are a full service provider, taking care of all your tables, chairs, rentals, linen, service, entertainment and food and beverage needs. See our website, www.seastarrestaurant.com, for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Seastar Seattle enjoys the ability to host groups up to 16 in our Seastar Executive Room, with a dedicated service staff and full media capabilities.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 2064624364
- Cross Street: Denny Way
- Public Transit: The South Lake Union Transit rail-car is available, stopping at the Whole Foods Market (we are up the stairs).
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available for both lunch and dinner. Validated parking in the garage beneath the restaurant (off of 9th Ave) is also available.
A word from Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
Acclaimed chef/owner John Howie returned to Seattle in early 2009 with his second Seastar Restaurant, located on the corner of Westlake and Denny Ave., above Whole Foods Market. The inspired menu rotates seasonal specialties and northwest favorites, while our Raw Bar offers a host of ceviche, poke, sushi, and freshly shucked oysters. The understated atmosphere of our dining room suits any occasion, casual or formal, and our award winning service staff looks forward to carefully attending to your every need. Welcome to Seastar Seattle, the city’s premier seafood dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (83)romantic (54)good for groups (50)notable wine list (48)great for lunch (43)neighborhood gem (40)hot spot (13)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Need to keep Seastar in SeattleLovecarminesDined on 11/15/2014Seastar is not continuing its lease in South Lake Union. This is so unfortunate. I hope they find another location downtown. This is such a good restaurant. It you haven't tried it, please go before January or try its location in Bellevue, :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingVahaDined on 11/11/2014It's sad that this place is closing down. It always has the best food and the top notch serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Absolutely amazing food. Service was excellent. I would highly recommend Seastar to anyone who wants to experience fine Seattle dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Choice!MandorDined on 11/9/2014We ate at Seastar for my daughters 10th birthday. She's a foodie already. Service was phenomenal! Can't say enough about the personalized attention we received. Food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy it while you canMattCVIPDined on 11/9/2014As die hard lover of Seastar Seattle and its staff, I'm sad to find out about its closing soon. Go enjoy it now.Special Features:
- All talk no substanceEnerVIPDined on 11/7/2014The reviews for this restaurant did not live up to the reality. Although the food was ok it did not live up to the hype.
- Not sorry it is closingIrritatedDined on 11/5/2014Another meh visit to Seastar. Husband loves it so we went before it closes this winter. Kumamotos were mushy; they kindly made me a lunch salad for dinner but waiter never bothered to ask how I'd like it dressed. It came sopping with puckery vinaigrette---it was a shrimp/crab salad!!! Lordy. I had to ask for another dressing on the side so it was super dressed. I don't like to send things back so I took it home and tried to fix it the next day. Seemed like server couldn't understand us or hear us and left us alone---long wait for our drinks. Oh, no pepper on the table or offered---and I ordered an entrée salad!!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningSusieDined on 11/4/2014SeaStar has been on our list for years and we finally dined there for a special occasion! We were not disappointed. The service was outstanding and the food was delicious. We had the tasting menu and each dish was so flavorful and satisfying. We would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceLinnDined on 11/4/2014The Sea Star Restaurant is definitely a gem. I have been there for business lunches. The setting is very ideal for this and the 45 minute menu certainly exceeded my expectations every time. I would definitely go back there again. The service is prompt, helpful and professional.Special Features:
- Hidden GemnicknameVIPDined on 11/2/2014Tucked in beside the Pan Pacific Hoel this restaurant offers consistent quality and freshness of food. It is presented in a creative manner by attentive servers. Definitely worth visiting again.Special Features:
- Stellar seafood!ChattyKathyVIPDined on 10/29/2014We always leave Seastar thinking we have had a fabulous dinner. Their seafood selections are unbeatable, the service is always excellent, the ambience is sophisticated, romantic, relaxing and enjoyable, we are never disappointed. There are lots of seafood restaurants in Seattle but I don't think any of them can beat Seastar for quality, freshness, unique preparations or just plain fabulous taste.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014I come to Seastar frequently and they are always consistent in great service and tasty food.Special Features:
- Fantastic service and food!lovetodineVIPDined on 10/28/2014The seafood was fresh and delicious! Love our server who was very friendly and helpful. The dessert was die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceFoodieVIPDined on 10/26/2014The most memorable thing from our dinner at Seastar was the good service. Our meals were standard but not exceptional. I would say it is middle of the pack in regards to seafood.Special Features:
- Great service and great wineChontelleDined on 10/26/2014The food was delicious but what sold the Seastar was the service and the wine. Perhaps also the creme brûlée !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic birthday dinner!LVMIDined on 10/26/2014Although this is a high-end place, I was not expecting too much since we were participating in Restaurant Week and therefore dining at a discounted price. But my expectations were exceeded. Food and service were excellent - just as if it hadn't been restaurant week. We had a group of eight and everything was great. Thank you. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rudy SkonordRudyDined on 10/25/2014This was a perfect place-Atmosphere, Service, Food, Noise, and Management. My entire family were very happy with everything. Of special note was the service and finally, but not lastly is the outstanding service Chip Croteau provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Express Lunch is Efficient, GoodMattyGVIPDined on 10/24/2014Seastar always is consistent and has very fresh fish and seafood. I typically go for a work lunch every once in awhile and take advantage of the 45 minute express lunch. I ordered the crab cakes and california rolls. The prices have gone up somewhat on the express lunch recently, which I wasn't thrilled about, but the food is excellent. Anyhow, everything my wife, her friend, and I had was excellent and they were helpful with a highchair for our 6 week old. I like that a drink is included in the express lunch price and it is plenty of food for $15 (great deal for the quality you get). The server did lose our parking ticket for validation which caused some problems in the garage when we were leaving.Special Features:
- Absolutely excellent!LovefoodDined on 10/23/2014All around great atmosphere and fantastic food! Service was top notch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTeriBDined on 10/23/2014Came here for Restaurant Week and so glad we did. Delicious fresh sushi (crunch roll is to die for), steelhead was perfectly cooked, portions are great. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 for 30luvgoodfoodDined on 10/22/2014We dined here during Restaurant Week, where you get a 3 course meal for $30, and the food was absolutely excellent, a lot of choices, and large portions. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. He helped my spouse decide between 2 entrees with a beautiful description of each dish. He ended up getting the Ancho smoked steelhead and did not regret it for one second. Started with the Spicy Lentil Soup, ended with the Creme Brulee. I had the fabulous Hot and Sour soup, Chef's Choice Sushi Platter and a Strawberry-Passion Fruit Sorbet. I left quite full and very happy with the entire experience. We've been to the Bellevue Seastar before. Both restaurants do not disappoint.Special Features:
- Sea Star Gets it!Wine46loverDined on 10/21/2014Our first visit to the Seattle location happened to coincide with Restaurant Week. They offered an amazing menu for the $30 per person charge. Service was outstanding and they made sure we had plenty of time to get to the 5th Avenue Theater for Kinky Boots without feeling rushed. Instead of wine we ordered Makers Mark Manhattan's and they were wonderful!Special Features:
- Enjoyable but not consistentchefgalDined on 10/19/2014Very impressive service. We were there for Seattle Restaurant Week. Ancho Smoked Steelhead and Thai Seafood Salad had exceptional layers of flavor. Seastar trio dessert was a beauty to behold & delicious. But, a top sirloin was served med. rare, ordered as medium, which is surprising for a restaurant of this caliber. The NW Seafood Stew with Salmon Sausage was the most disappointing - waiter described it as "like a cioppino." It was neither as there was not an ounce of broth. It's disingenuous to label a dish as "NW seafood stew" (which implies mix of seafood served in liquid) when there was only 7 small mussels, which was not sufficient protein for a dinner. Dish should have been called Salmon sausage with mussels on citrus tomato rice.
- Wonderful date night mealavideaterDined on 10/18/2014My boyfriend and I decided to have a fancy date night in Seattle and we chose Seastar to satisfy our gastronomic desires. It sure delivered! From our amazing curry broth Penn Cove mussels to my perfect ahi and my date's parmigiano halibut, the food was spot on. Our server Rose was also incredibly delightful and attentive of our dining experience. Only thing I can think of that put a slight damper on the experience was a few ruder customers. One man unabashedly told the server that he refused to sit next to a particular group of people (perhaps because they were not as well dressed?). Besides that trivial detail, amazing dinner, amazing service, amazing night.Special Features:
- Delicious LunchjimofseattleVIPDined on 10/17/2014We went for lunch and ordered off the $15 menu which consists of a beverage (such as ice tea) and the choice of two items from a long list. My companion had sushi and I ordered a quinoa salad with bay shrimp and perfectly cooked mahi-mahi served over sticky rice and with a delicious relish. Service was professional and friendly. Dress was casual at lunch. A very relaxing place for lunch.Special Features:
- Fantastic for a business lunchBlairVIPDined on 10/17/2014I eat here quite a bit for lunch during the week. The lunch menu has a good selection, is reasonably priced ($15 for two choices and a soft drink or iced tea), and the service is always great. They promise to get you in and out in 45 minutes, and they have always met that promise, which makes it perfect for a 1 hour fixed slot in your calendar. I recommend the Steelhead, and the Mahi Mahi as my personal favorites. I've also been here for team lunches, and they can accommodate a reasonable number of folks at one of their larger round tables. Noisy enough so your conversation is not intrusive, but quiet enough to have a reasonable conversation, I've found the atmosphere great for working lunches or bringing an interview candidate.Special Features:
- FoundParisinSeaDined on 10/16/2014Visited Seastar for our anniversary and it was five star treatment. Great food, impressive service, good wine. The staff was very accommodating and we loved the bacon wrapped scallops. It's definitely a special occasion place and we look forward to having another reason to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifulplunder1Dined on 10/10/2014This was one of the best experiences of our trip to Seattle. The food was superb. I cannot say more.Special Features:
- best in seattlerobinsnestVIPDined on 10/10/2014Best seafood in Seattle. Excellently prepared. Also has terrific sushi. Truffles shouldn't be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food Service EverFussyDined on 10/9/2014The Halibut was as fresh as just caught and the accompanying mushrooms,artichokes and seasonings were Amazing. The service was extraordinary! Eric gave best advice, was cheerful, helpful and fun to work out the choices for the menu. He is someone one does not forget. Hope he is there at our next visit. (still too noisy)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard choice...whiskMEawayDined on 10/8/2014...not whether to go to the restaurant, but what to order once we were there! Everything that we tried had amazing flavors. Since it was our first time there we chose from the items marked as house specialties, and they were all excellent.Special Features:
- Memorable mealientre9y11Dined on 10/4/2014The three scallop appetizer was excellent. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the three sauces were chosen well. The sesame crusted ahi was fantastic. The parmesan crusted halibut was good but the parmesan overpowered the halibut taste. The creme brulee and lemon panna cotta desserts were the perfect size and were great.Special Features:
- Special EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Our kids wanted to know what they could buy us for Christmas and we told them we would like a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in Seattle that would provide us with a "special experience". They chose the Seastar. The food was fabulous and there was a lot of it. The service was wonderful and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly DisappointingFrankie644Dined on 10/3/2014We have dined at the Bellevue location of Sea Star many times. Each time we raved about the food! We were very surprised that the Seattle location of this restaurant was so disappointing. The Thai soup, which I have enjoyed numerous times in Bellevue, was way too spicy. Unfortunately in-edible for me. The scallops which were fine, however the accompaniments were bland. Our service was fine, but not the amazing experience we have experienced elsewhere. We called ahead and asked about the details of using a Groupon, and I feel that this revelation may have affected the service we received. Multiple times the "Groupon" was mentioned throughout the night. Bad taste on their part. Good to know for future use of Groupon on our part.Special Features:
- Amazing Raw BarOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014The raw bar is spectacular. I loved everything we had. I recommend doing the samplers if you like to share so you are able to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent CrudojshafchukDined on 10/3/2014The crudo was exceptional and the service is very good. It was great to be a such a nice restaurant during happy hour and it not be so crowded. And the prices during Happy Hour are reasonable. The atmosphere is corporate, very upscale. The prices match the look. It is definitely a special occasion restaurant if you aren't going for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lavish AttentionmikeymusicVIPDined on 10/2/2014Everything came together here. After we found the entrance to the restaurant (It's in courtyard next to the Four Seasons Hotel) we were welcomed by name and ushered to a very comfortable table with lots of space around us. Wine selection was broad and the prices were within reason. The wine "guy" (That's how this position is mentioned on the menu) turned out to be a very knowledgeable young woman and she recommended a selection of Pinot Noirs that would best accompany our seafood entrees. We started our meals with oysters on the half shell and glasses of Champagne. Each course was beautifully plated, a joy to look at and to eat! And to top it off we were driven back to our hotel in the Four Season's courtesy car. What an evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, fantastic service!DorchaDined on 10/2/2014The Seastar is one of the best fish restaurants in Seattle. Our food was exquisite--halibut and salmon cooked to perfection, salads excellent and sizable, the (huge) white chocolate coconut cream pie was the best I've ever had. Our waiter and even the water server were able to discuss the menu knowledgeably and make helpful suggestions; one of our party had a gluten allergy, and the waiter was able to propose several substitutions to make her main dish work for her. Even more impressive, he remembered the allergy throughout the night, and alerted her to problems when he saw them and to alternatives that would be safe for her. This is a not inexpensive restaurant, but it is a superb choice for special occasions. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Above average food and serviceEB211VIPDined on 10/1/2014Overall we received above average food and service from Seastar. Our waiter (Eric) was exceptional and was easily able to recommend wine parings as well as dishes. The dishes themselves were definetly above average but not the best I have had. I would recommend a visit here and if I am back on Seattle I will try to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!mimoshiDined on 9/30/2014Seastar is wonderful! It's a great time every time we go.Special Features: