Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
2121 Terry Ave
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.seastarrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2064624364
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: John Howie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Weddings, private dinners, theme parties, cooking classes or special events. Seastar's professional off-site catering team can take care of your needs. Your menu will be designed specifically for your event by Chef Howie. We are a full service provider, taking care of all your tables, chairs, rentals, linen, service, entertainment and food and beverage needs. See our website, www.seastarrestaurant.com, for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Seastar Seattle enjoys the ability to host groups up to 16 in our Seastar Executive Room, with a dedicated service staff and full media capabilities.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 2064624364
- Cross Street: Denny Way
- Public Transit: The South Lake Union Transit rail-car is available, stopping at the Whole Foods Market (we are up the stairs).
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available for both lunch and dinner. Validated parking in the garage beneath the restaurant (off of 9th Ave) is also available.
A word from Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle
Acclaimed chef/owner John Howie returned to Seattle in early 2009 with his second Seastar Restaurant, located on the corner of Westlake and Denny Ave., above Whole Foods Market. The inspired menu rotates seasonal specialties and northwest favorites, while our Raw Bar offers a host of ceviche, poke, sushi, and freshly shucked oysters. The understated atmosphere of our dining room suits any occasion, casual or formal, and our award winning service staff looks forward to carefully attending to your every need. Welcome to Seastar Seattle, the city’s premier seafood dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar - Seattle reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)special occasion (76)romantic (46)notable wine list (42)good for groups (37)great for lunch (32)neighborhood gem (29)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Absolutely excellent!LovefoodDined on 10/23/2014All around great atmosphere and fantastic food! Service was top notch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 for 30luvgoodfoodDined on 10/22/2014We dined here during Restaurant Week, where you get a 3 course meal for $30, and the food was absolutely excellent, a lot of choices, and large portions. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. He helped my spouse decide between 2 entrees with a beautiful description of each dish. He ended up getting the Ancho smoked steelhead and did not regret it for one second. Started with the Spicy Lentil Soup, ended with the Creme Brulee. I had the fabulous Hot and Sour soup, Chef's Choice Sushi Platter and a Strawberry-Passion Fruit Sorbet. I left quite full and very happy with the entire experience. We've been to the Bellevue Seastar before. Both restaurants do not disappoint.Special Features:
- Sea Star Gets it!Wine46loverDined on 10/21/2014Our first visit to the Seattle location happened to coincide with Restaurant Week. They offered an amazing menu for the $30 per person charge. Service was outstanding and they made sure we had plenty of time to get to the 5th Avenue Theater for Kinky Boots without feeling rushed. Instead of wine we ordered Makers Mark Manhattan's and they were wonderful!Special Features:
- Enjoyable but not consistentchefgalDined on 10/19/2014Very impressive service. We were there for Seattle Restaurant Week. Ancho Smoked Steelhead and Thai Seafood Salad had exceptional layers of flavor. Seastar trio dessert was a beauty to behold & delicious. But, a top sirloin was served med. rare, ordered as medium, which is surprising for a restaurant of this caliber. The NW Seafood Stew with Salmon Sausage was the most disappointing - waiter described it as "like a cioppino." It was neither as there was not an ounce of broth. It's disingenuous to label a dish as "NW seafood stew" (which implies mix of seafood served in liquid) when there was only 7 small mussels, which was not sufficient protein for a dinner. Dish should have been called Salmon sausage with mussels on citrus tomato rice.
- Wonderful date night mealavideaterDined on 10/18/2014My boyfriend and I decided to have a fancy date night in Seattle and we chose Seastar to satisfy our gastronomic desires. It sure delivered! From our amazing curry broth Penn Cove mussels to my perfect ahi and my date's parmigiano halibut, the food was spot on. Our server Rose was also incredibly delightful and attentive of our dining experience. Only thing I can think of that put a slight damper on the experience was a few ruder customers. One man unabashedly told the server that he refused to sit next to a particular group of people (perhaps because they were not as well dressed?). Besides that trivial detail, amazing dinner, amazing service, amazing night.Special Features:
- Delicious LunchjimofseattleVIPDined on 10/17/2014We went for lunch and ordered off the $15 menu which consists of a beverage (such as ice tea) and the choice of two items from a long list. My companion had sushi and I ordered a quinoa salad with bay shrimp and perfectly cooked mahi-mahi served over sticky rice and with a delicious relish. Service was professional and friendly. Dress was casual at lunch. A very relaxing place for lunch.Special Features:
- Fantastic for a business lunchBlairVIPDined on 10/17/2014I eat here quite a bit for lunch during the week. The lunch menu has a good selection, is reasonably priced ($15 for two choices and a soft drink or iced tea), and the service is always great. They promise to get you in and out in 45 minutes, and they have always met that promise, which makes it perfect for a 1 hour fixed slot in your calendar. I recommend the Steelhead, and the Mahi Mahi as my personal favorites. I've also been here for team lunches, and they can accommodate a reasonable number of folks at one of their larger round tables. Noisy enough so your conversation is not intrusive, but quiet enough to have a reasonable conversation, I've found the atmosphere great for working lunches or bringing an interview candidate.Special Features:
- FoundParisinSeaDined on 10/16/2014Visited Seastar for our anniversary and it was five star treatment. Great food, impressive service, good wine. The staff was very accommodating and we loved the bacon wrapped scallops. It's definitely a special occasion place and we look forward to having another reason to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifulplunder1Dined on 10/10/2014This was one of the best experiences of our trip to Seattle. The food was superb. I cannot say more.Special Features:
- best in seattlerobinsnestVIPDined on 10/10/2014Best seafood in Seattle. Excellently prepared. Also has terrific sushi. Truffles shouldn't be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food Service EverFussyDined on 10/9/2014The Halibut was as fresh as just caught and the accompanying mushrooms,artichokes and seasonings were Amazing. The service was extraordinary! Eric gave best advice, was cheerful, helpful and fun to work out the choices for the menu. He is someone one does not forget. Hope he is there at our next visit. (still too noisy)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard choice...whiskMEawayDined on 10/8/2014...not whether to go to the restaurant, but what to order once we were there! Everything that we tried had amazing flavors. Since it was our first time there we chose from the items marked as house specialties, and they were all excellent.Special Features:
- Memorable mealientre9y11Dined on 10/4/2014The three scallop appetizer was excellent. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the three sauces were chosen well. The sesame crusted ahi was fantastic. The parmesan crusted halibut was good but the parmesan overpowered the halibut taste. The creme brulee and lemon panna cotta desserts were the perfect size and were great.Special Features:
- Special EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Our kids wanted to know what they could buy us for Christmas and we told them we would like a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in Seattle that would provide us with a "special experience". They chose the Seastar. The food was fabulous and there was a lot of it. The service was wonderful and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly DisappointingFrankie644Dined on 10/3/2014We have dined at the Bellevue location of Sea Star many times. Each time we raved about the food! We were very surprised that the Seattle location of this restaurant was so disappointing. The Thai soup, which I have enjoyed numerous times in Bellevue, was way too spicy. Unfortunately in-edible for me. The scallops which were fine, however the accompaniments were bland. Our service was fine, but not the amazing experience we have experienced elsewhere. We called ahead and asked about the details of using a Groupon, and I feel that this revelation may have affected the service we received. Multiple times the "Groupon" was mentioned throughout the night. Bad taste on their part. Good to know for future use of Groupon on our part.Special Features:
- Amazing Raw BarOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014The raw bar is spectacular. I loved everything we had. I recommend doing the samplers if you like to share so you are able to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent CrudojshafchukDined on 10/3/2014The crudo was exceptional and the service is very good. It was great to be a such a nice restaurant during happy hour and it not be so crowded. And the prices during Happy Hour are reasonable. The atmosphere is corporate, very upscale. The prices match the look. It is definitely a special occasion restaurant if you aren't going for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lavish AttentionmikeymusicVIPDined on 10/2/2014Everything came together here. After we found the entrance to the restaurant (It's in courtyard next to the Four Seasons Hotel) we were welcomed by name and ushered to a very comfortable table with lots of space around us. Wine selection was broad and the prices were within reason. The wine "guy" (That's how this position is mentioned on the menu) turned out to be a very knowledgeable young woman and she recommended a selection of Pinot Noirs that would best accompany our seafood entrees. We started our meals with oysters on the half shell and glasses of Champagne. Each course was beautifully plated, a joy to look at and to eat! And to top it off we were driven back to our hotel in the Four Season's courtesy car. What an evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, fantastic service!DorchaDined on 10/2/2014The Seastar is one of the best fish restaurants in Seattle. Our food was exquisite--halibut and salmon cooked to perfection, salads excellent and sizable, the (huge) white chocolate coconut cream pie was the best I've ever had. Our waiter and even the water server were able to discuss the menu knowledgeably and make helpful suggestions; one of our party had a gluten allergy, and the waiter was able to propose several substitutions to make her main dish work for her. Even more impressive, he remembered the allergy throughout the night, and alerted her to problems when he saw them and to alternatives that would be safe for her. This is a not inexpensive restaurant, but it is a superb choice for special occasions. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Above average food and serviceEB211Dined on 10/1/2014Overall we received above average food and service from Seastar. Our waiter (Eric) was exceptional and was easily able to recommend wine parings as well as dishes. The dishes themselves were definetly above average but not the best I have had. I would recommend a visit here and if I am back on Seattle I will try to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!mimoshiDined on 9/30/2014Seastar is wonderful! It's a great time every time we go.Special Features:
- $$$ not enough pizazzseattlejDined on 9/27/2014I expected a lot more for the money. The food was good - but nothing to write home about. If the entrees are over $30 I expect to REALLY enjoy my meal and maybe even discover something new. We won't be going back as there are so many great restaurants around town that are more affordable and/or more amazing.
- A Seattle GemPapaDined on 9/27/2014The service and food is excellent. The atmosphere and table arrangement actually allows you to converse with your table mates. Our server's suggestions about portion size were right on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceeuropeanfoodloverDined on 9/27/2014First time at the restaurant and very good experience. Coming from Europe we are happy to find a restaurant like this one. It is not a typical american restaurant where they grab your plate once you're finished. They wait until everybody is done. No rush ! The quality of food is excellent and so is the service. Very friendly waiters and they are nicely dressed. Typical restaurant for special occasions or for a nice evening out. Not the cheapest but worth the money if you appreciate good food and service. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealMyraDined on 9/19/2014The staff was prompt and knowledgeable but not overbearing. The seafood courses (saifun shrimp, scallop ceviche, crab cakes, ahi, roasted king crab) were all outstanding. The scallop ceviche and roasted king crab were both as good as we've had anywhere. All dishes were well-composed; all the ingredients worked together. Wines were also outstanding (2009 Raveneau Vaillons, 2006 Inniskillin Riesling). The desserts were disappointing (Meyer lemon panna cotta, coconut cream pie). The panna cotta was tasted like a two-day-old mousse in a glass. The coconut cream pie had decent individual components, but they didn't work together for us. The dessert was the only detractor to an otherwise outstanding meal.Special Features:
- CJDPVIPDined on 9/13/2014The location seems a bit out of the way, but it was only a few minutes walk from downtown. We were seated within a few minutes of our arrival. However, when making reservations, ask not to be seated near the kitchen. It was a bit noisy and the table was also too well lit - we felt on display. However, these two issues were the worst part of our experience at Seastar. The food and service were impressive in all areas. We told the waiter, Douglas, that we wanted a very slow paced dinner. He was very accommodating and the timing of our food was perfect. He was well informed about the menu and specials and had great enthusiasm in making our night enjoyable. We recommend Seastar and will return upon our next visit to Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner.DarrinDined on 9/13/2014I took my wife for our anniversary, and I couldn't have made a better choice. The food, ambiance and service were all spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful findeileenbsVIPDined on 9/12/2014I did not know anything about the restaurant before arriving, but it turned out to be absolutely lovely. The food was delicious and our server was extremely knowledgeable about both the food and the wines. It was a truly fantastic experience.Special Features:
- Always TerrificrobinsnestVIPDined on 9/8/2014Best Seafood in Seattle. Preparation and presentation are impeccable and service is always attentive. Great lunch deal as well. Well managed too. use their catering for parties and private dining space for Board dinners-never disappointed!Special Features:
- Best seafoodPapaDined on 9/7/2014Halibut to die for. King crab fantastic. A little off the beaten track but well worth finding it.Special Features:
- Alway's great!ZanderdogDined on 9/3/2014If you like amazing seafood this is the place! I've eaten at Seastar a few times and tried something different each time and always been very pleased. You can't go wrong with the planked salmon. This time I had the potato crusted halibut...again it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to lunchFood999999Dined on 9/3/2014Seastar is our go to new hire lunch spot. Food is terrific and the service gets a group through a pleasant meal on timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!NDgirlVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food was really superb. Service was very good too. Went to several highly rated restaurants in Seattle on this trip and this was the best food by far. We're all still talking about it! Also loved that you got to taste wine orders by the glass and change your mind if it really wasn't your favorite.Special Features:
- GreatChrystelleDined on 8/31/2014Have been there twice and it has been great both times. Exceptional service.Special Features:
- Another successful visitMattCVIPDined on 8/30/2014Seastar and its staff never disappoints. We tried many different items. A favorite of mine is the seafood tower, but order half size! You get to try 3 delicious items. Also tried the raw seafood crudos (3 more items), split a seafood linguine as first course and split a to-die-for halibut for the main. It came from the taster's menu and they made it a full size one for us, consisting of a moist, yet firm fresh of halibut with bacon bits, edamame etc... a knock your socks off combo! Do not order its regular coffee. Too watered down. Everything else is great! Service was out of the world in Jessica. Thank Page and Chip for wine service.Special Features:
- Lovely Birthday LunchmllpDined on 8/29/2014Our lunch was delicious, the service was impeccable and we had a delightful time.Special Features:
- Best seafood in Seattle!LovesunvalleyDined on 8/25/2014Seastar is the master of treating excellent seafood. Our dinners, both salmon and halibut, were the best seafood we have tasted in any restaurant! The fish was amazing high quality. Their crab bisque is a timeless favorite and the crabcakes were wonderful. It's hands down just the best seafood in Seattle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canned spices, liquid smoke?! No.SadinSeattleDined on 8/22/2014So disappointed, food was less then average...for what you pay I was expecting stellar. Salmon run was SO overpowering, halibut had bagged potato chips as the crust, and famous 'smoked broccoli' was disgusting. Will not be returning.
- Nice Service and great foodBryceDined on 8/20/2014Never disappointed in Sea Star. They have a large variety of seafood options on the menu and even though they substituted OnO for Mahi Mahi, it still was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Service was as usual very good and attentive. Food was excellent. The local WA wines were very palatable as well.Special Features: