Sears Fine Food
439 Powell Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sears Fine Food
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.searsfinefood.com/
- Phone: 4159861160
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 6:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Julie Kim 4159811951
A word from Sears Fine Food
The dinner menu at Sears Fine Food spotlights some of the finest, freshest local fish and shellfish, as well as home-style cuisine. One popular dinner entree is White Seafood Pasta, with crab, shrimp, and clams in sherry cream sauce. The Combination Louie Salad is another scrumptious favorite. If you're more into turf than surf, consider the Sears Special Baby Back Ribs or a T-bone steak. Sears is home to the legendary Dollar Size Pancakes, and don't leave San Francisco without indulging in their world-famous Swedish pancake plate that includes 18 of these tempting plattar along with warm maple syrup and whipped butter, bacon or link sausage. When you dine at Sears Fine Food, you're sure to leave full and satisfied.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sears Fine Food reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (10)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (8)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (2)romantic (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Real Home-Cooked MealsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014The group I was with had Pot Roast, Lamb Tenderloin, Stroganoff, and Roasted Chicken. I had some of each and was impressed with every dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-socamkingVIPDined on 9/11/2014The smoked salmon starter was nice, and the burger was just OK - nothing special. Restaurant was busy and they still managed to seat me a few minutes early, so plus points for that, but service after that was pretty much non-existent, sadly.
- First time at Sears Fine FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Our party of four had the Italian Meatloaf special, the Sand Dab special and the Roast Turkey special. The other party member ordered the Ruben Sandwich. All orders were very tasty and the proportions were generous. The general ambiance was good and the decor was appropriate for the late 1930's when the restaurant was originally opened. We will keep Sears Fine Foods in mind for a return visit.Special Features:
- Decent meal. Price not crazychaos395VIPDined on 8/13/2014This is a Union Square, SF restaurant with good food and a mediocre wine list. You would think a San Francisco restaurant, which is so close to Napa and Sonoma wine country, would have a more reliable, and extensive wine list but this wasn't the case. Our waiter was attentive and helpful despite having quite a few other tables to service. I think the pricing was very reasonable, considering the food quality, which was good. The restaurant was not too noisy. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, at Stockton and Sutter and we were about one block away.Special Features:
- Nothing specialTarncaVIPDined on 8/12/2014First time trying. For the price, nothing really special. Just average all around.
- just missed the happy hryummyfoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014they have beer and wine. our server wasn't attentive though. thank God there was a pitcher of water next to us so we could refill ourselves.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Seated right away, waiter name Eddie very pleasant and explained specials wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sears a Great StandardSFTempTransplantVIPDined on 7/20/2014I've always enjoyed going to Sears. It is a nice trip back time for a good dining experience. Their signature dishes like the pancakes are just the way I like them every time I go. I really like the atmosphere, which is that of a throwback, club room, without the lofty price tag. I'll keep coming back to Sears, time after time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for dinner, better for brunchdvdptr1VIPDined on 7/19/2014Have been to Sears Fine Food multiple times for breakfast, and they are one of my favorites in San Francisco... This time, I tried them for dinner. The food was good, but not great. There are probably better places in the area for dinner.. The this place is a MUST do for breakfast!Special Features:
- Off Day, Call Chief RamseysfrobDined on 7/17/2014It was an off day for the cooking staff . I ordered their Thursday Blue Plate Special, turkey breast. Having been there many times in the past, I was usually very satisfied. Not this time. Although the turkey looked fully cooked, it was tough and very not tasty. I told the server who was kind enough to take it back to the kitchen and try to improve the taste of the bird, it was not successful. I told her of my displeasure but nothing further was done. In addition they at first did not give me the early bird discount for my glass of wine. I think that I was expecting not to be charged for the tough old bird. But that was not the case, not even any discount was given.Special Features:
- Classic SFSctphilDined on 5/30/2014Had dinner at the San Francisco institution, Sears Fine Food. The meal was very good (prime rib) and the service was very friendly and attentive. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Dinner was greatRickimatsuDined on 5/21/2014The waiter was a little absent minded and a bit rude.Special Features:
- Good food, service iffywhitRDined on 5/20/2014We dined here in the evening and food was very good and our server was very helpful in offering alternatives for my wife who has food allergies to the usual potatoes/etc. sides. We returned for breakfast and it was medium busy our server kept telling my wife she couldn't substitute anything for the breakfast sides until she insisted he ask the manager. So the "manager' wouldn't allow her to change the potatoes and bread she can't eat for some avocado. Having worked in the restaurant business I find it unacceptable to be inflexible to a customers request plus charging for a trivial amount of something. Our breakfast experience at Sears was spoiled and we thought we'd of been better off a block up at Roxanne's where they gladly substituteSpecial Features:
- The following 151 reviews are from the Sears Fine Food reviews archive.
- Good Comfort Food and DrinksfrobDined on 3/27/2014In the heart of Union Square is a wonderful diner type restaurant. Service is good. As is the food and prices. I would go back anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingFoodieVIPDined on 3/4/2014Sears Fine Food is a strange place on a weeknight. It was half empty with most of the patrons either lost tourists or single old lonely men. It looks like a German beer hall and is very poorly lit. There was just one waiter so we had to wait a long time for everything. I don't know what happens when it's full of diners! We came here only because it was Pancake Day (aka Mardi Gras or Shrove Tuesday) and we wanted something else than homemade pancakes. Their Swedish-style pancakes are okay but there are only two toppings to choose from - maple syrup or lingonberries. I asked for lemon with my tea and never got it. The tea itself was the worst green tea I ever had. Can't comment on the rest of their menu but I won't be back to try it.
- Great diner in union squareGourmetGluttonDined on 2/24/2014A truly pleasant place, takes pride in its longevity. Good food selection, 4 different Benedicts to choose from. Service is adequate, but the hosts are terrible, at least during the breakfast hours. Was ready to leave just because of them, glad I stayed for what turned out to be a decent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get there early for breakfast!NautilusDined on 2/22/2014Our hotel was right around the corner so we went here for breakfast and dinner. The place fills quickly for breakfast, so get there early. Dinner was very good with good table service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My honey and I went to Sear'sJaystormDined on 2/14/2014My honey and I went to Sear's both our first times on Valentines Day. Everything was perfect, our waiter was great. I'm definitely going here again. *thumbs up!*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodRexxDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. I was expecting more of a romantic setting. Sears is a corner diner style setting. Cute for lunch or casual dinning experience but not for romance. Food was good and service was prompt. Wait staff never offered to refill my water or soda. Wait staff never wished us a happy anniversary. Husband loved his mussels and seafood linguine. My "small" chicken Caesar salad was tasty and enough to serve two. Overall good experience would go back for lunch or light dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime ribOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014This was a perfect prime rib. Juicy, flavorful and the right portion and thickness. I tried to eat it all! But couldn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful place for a meal.TemplarDined on 1/24/2014One of the best places to eat in San Francisco: Sears Fine Foods is quickly becoming a favorite for us. They are polite, efficient and reasonably priced. The food is very good, for the money especially! They have a decent wine list and the menu has something for everyone. Sears is a piece of San Francisco history that has, like the city itself, improved with age.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short rib specialVicki562Dined on 1/11/2014Casual Sat. Night dinner, the food was excellent. I had the short rib special, they were amazing, with a wonderful demi-glaze. Cobbler also perfect.Special Features:
- Give Sears Fine Food a Try!Malaga6Dined on 1/11/2014My friend and I are natives of SF and I had never eaten at Sears Fine Food before, despite it on Powell Street over the years. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, the service and the quiet ambiance, despite the hustle and bustle of a typical Saturday evening crowd on Union Square. The decor reminds me of old SF eateries like the Tadich Grill or John's Grill - very comfortable and relaxing. I love the crab chowder and my NY steak was cooked to perfection. I will be back soon!Special Features:
- Old School casual with diverse menudaveattoshibaDined on 1/10/2014My wife and I arrived in SFO at night and made it to our hotel on Union Square in time to take advantage of this historic eatery. We had been there for their reknown pancake breakfast in the past and due to the hour we decided to try them for dinner. We weren't disappointed. my wife had prime rib and I had a reuben sandwich. both were made well and filling. There is a reason they have been in business since 1938! good food, affordable, affable ambience.Special Features:
- Perfect for New Year'skimhegginsDined on 12/31/2013We had a fabulous waitress, the food was amazing and great prices, we love this place.Special Features:
- Did not stand behind reservationDennisMDined on 12/30/2013I used your online reservation service to make a reservation on December 30th. When I arrived at the restaurant the host stated that they were not honoring reservations made through your website that evening. He stated there was a miscommunication between the owner and OpenTable. It seems to me that good customer service dictates that the customer be taken care of and miscommunications between a vendor be taken care of behind the scenes. Score zero for customer service.
- Good Food, Fair PricessfrobDined on 12/19/2013Everything was as expected. Tasty food, good service, fair prices considering it's Union Square Lication. Will most assuredly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, reasonable pricesJulieDined on 12/14/2013Had a very good dinner. Dungeness crab soup was delicious. Filet mignon cooked perfectly. Happy hour appetizers of calamari and blue fondue were wonderful. Service was slow -- seemed like restaurant was short staffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like old times-lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/14/2013Just like old times-loved this place when I worked in the City and our visit during a busy Christmas season Saturday night was great!Special Features:
- Wanted old San Francisco charmPattiDined on 12/13/2013Wanted old San Francisco charm for dinner with large family group. Was pleasantly surprised at the menu selection and each of us thought the food quality was great. We would all definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBetsyDined on 12/7/2013Overall we were disappointed. They acknowledged our reservation even though we were 45 minutes late due to traffic. The service was OK but the food was only fair and pricey. Salad lettuce was old. Fish and chips were greasy. I would go back for breakfast or lunch but not dinner.Special Features:
- doesn't honor open table reservatioCinematographerDined on 12/4/2013Hostess was singularly unhelpful as was the manager. There are lots of great restaurants in the city.This is not one of them. Having ate here out of convenience several times I can the food and service are ok at best.
- Sear's Fine FoodPaulDined on 11/29/2013I love this place. It was owned by my friend's Swedish family, who started it in San Luis Obispo. We came on Black Friday for dinner, and booked through open Table, getting seats for the three of us on time, and in the energetic and fun-filled dining room area. We shared a bottle of white wine and munched on everything from mussles in garlic-butter sauce, to crabs legs, and sole. We finished the meal off with a yummy blueberry crisp. Our waiter was prompt and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco Landmark Dining!!tnhawkeye1Dined on 11/25/2013Always a treat to dine at Sears when in San Francisco. Excellent and friendly staff with food fit for royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great serviceHappyDinerDined on 11/7/2013Sears Fine Food has a diverse menu that delivers great food at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- A ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2013Nice atmosphere with a little San Francisco history. The staff was very nice. The food was good and reasonably priced. An overall good value and fun place to eat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy CuisineJenCDined on 10/12/2013Enjoyed our visit. Good beef stroganoff. Fair prices for San Francisco with attentive staff. Just a bit noisy due to tile flooring and lots of patrons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful surprisegourmetgalVIPDined on 10/8/2013I've been to Sears hundreds of times for their fabulous breakfasts, but this was my first dinner there. The menu is classic American - pot roast, roast chicken, pork chops - all very well prepared. Portions are generous; I had enough pot roast left over to make two small sandwiches. Prices are extremely fair, especially if you download the 20% off coupon from their website. Service is friendly and helpful. No table clothes, but real napkins and small candles on each table. Overall, a pleasant evening away from the kitchen that also doesn't break the bank. We will go back.Special Features:
- good locationartyguyDined on 10/2/2013chose the restaurant specifically for location and reasonable price. Service is decent, sitting in the front room the noise level is acceptable. Order the Meatloaf which was very tasty. The vegetable was very, overly tasting of garlic. Otherwise a decent meal. I would go back, but check prior about the garlic.
- Good and reliable foodJonathanDined on 9/23/2013Convenient to the Union Square area, where I often travel on business. I've never been disappointed at the food. Good stuff. My go to place for taking business contacts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.