270 S. 20th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.seafoodunlimited.com/
- Phone: 2157323663
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday:5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Judi Einhorn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Our entire menu, as well as other selections are available for delivery, setup and service in the Center City area.
- Cross Street: 20th and Spruce
- Public Transit: #12 bus lets off 1 block away at 20th & Locust. #17 bus lets off at 20th & Spruce across the street and #7 bus lets off at 22nd & Spruce 2 blocks away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On street parking is available as well as a lot and garage at 20th & Walnut 1 1/2 blocks away.
A word from Seafood Unlimited
We are Philadelphia' oldest seafood restaurant serving our neighbors as well as out of town guests for over 40 years in a casual setting. We specialize in the freshest fish, seafood and live lobsters purchased and shipped in on a daily basis. Daily offerings include wild salmon, day boat scallops, sea bass, jumbo shrimp, tuna, catfish, crabcakes and the aforementioned live lobsters to name just a few of the items on our menu. Be sure to save room for our homemade desserts like key lime pie, chocolate mousse, bread pudding and more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Seafood Unlimited reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (17)great for brunch (16)romantic (13)special occasion (12)great for lunch (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- Lobster SpecialDebbiDined on 8/15/2014Went for the $18.50 lobster special and it did not dissapoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014my husband and i loved it and the deal for the mussels was great. the creme brulee was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and simpleBKmomVIPDined on 8/8/2014Our seafood was fresh tasting, nice size portion, and simply prepared. No fancy or very imaginative preparations here. This is a nice, reasonable priced neighborhood seafood restaurant- a welcome change from some of the very 'upscale" overpriced restaurants in Center City Philly.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014This is the 1st time I have had a bad meal with a rest. I have found via Open Table.When we arrived it smelled like old mop water was used to clean the floors. I was tempted to leave but decided to give it a shot. It took forever for someone to wait on us.When we did get service it was not with any enthusiasm. I had white wine which was room temperature my friend,a diet coke and even that was flat. We had the calamari app., that was average but edible.The talapia was dry and certainly not fresh. My friend had crab cakes and said they were "fine". Not a raving review. She had a dessert despite my suggestion that we go. The chocolate tart was dry & lacking in flavor.It was bad diner food at high end restaurant prices. Would NEVER go back.
- Repeat winner...jerooDined on 7/28/2014I've been here with friends three times now for the Monday ""all-you-can-eat" mussels platter. The food's good, the service--particularly most recently--was exceptionally attentive. And the prices were reasonable. Win-win all round.Special Features:
- great valuePhillygirlDined on 7/27/2014This was my first time at Seafood Unlimited, and I will come back as a regular customer. I had the lobster special. The food was fresh, done simply yet tastefully. The food was fresh, and the service was great. I will definitely come back to try other dishes...and do the lobster special again. Only thing that was surprising, was that the Jersey tomatoes (for July) were tasteless. Don't know if they were refrigerated, or simply not vine ripened.Special Features:
- Gracious and welcomingFoodie4lifeDined on 7/26/2014I had been a previous fan many years ago. This time I managed to bring a family member to a new experience; it was fabulous meal with wonder ambience and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014This visit was disappointing. We've been to Seafood Unlimited and had a pleasant enough experience that we decided to go back. I don't know if it was an off night or a new chef, but the meal was mediocre at best. We started with soups-the Manhattan clam chowder my husband ordered had little flavor, and my gazpacho was as thick as a tomato sauce. We ordered the chilled 1/2 lobster, shrimp and salmon dish which was the special. The lobster half was barely a tail and a claw, all over cooked, as was the salmon. The cole slaw was good. Because our previous experience was more positive, and because the menu is promising, we'll probably give Seafood Unlimited another chance.
- Enjoyable MealdisappointedVIPDined on 7/26/2014Good food, good service, nice atmosphere. an all around great find in Rittenhouse Square area.Special Features:
- Delicious foodakdjDined on 7/25/2014Have been coming here for about 30 years with a 27 year hiatus. Didn't disappoint then or now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014Lovely oysters buck a shuck and very tender small lobstersSpecial Features:
- Great place for brunchSilverQueenVIPDined on 7/13/2014Good food and service - many egg and fish and seafood options on the menu. I particularly like the crab benedict. Quiet - a great place to sit and chat with friends. No loud music. It's never crowded.Special Features:
- Celebrating 22 years togetherKeeper22Dined on 7/11/2014This is our 2nd visit, and we were not disappointed. The food was fresh our waiter was attentive to our needs and the desert was to die for. Definitely worth a visit !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodEaterDined on 7/11/2014Terrific little neighborhood gem. Lots of repeat customers. Owners greet guests by name. Nice bar but can BYOB. Will definitely go back. Good specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemrunningwaterDined on 6/26/2014Another visit to our neighborhood gem. This visit I enjoyed the 1 1/4 lb lobster special for $17.50 with two sides.Delicious! Started off with the "buck a shuck" bluepoint oysters. Fresh and delicious, and a "happy hour" priced drink. This time, I was facing the mosaic wall and had a chance to notice what a real work of art it is. It alone is worth a visit.Special Features:
- family neighborhood familiarsriggs4foodDined on 6/24/2014I do not live near Seafood Unlimited, so I make a special effort to get there, as when someone special is in town, as last night--an old friend who is moving to Philly to live. Dave and Judy have owned the place for 20 years or so, and they know the kind of table I like, and Alison the waitress (and Christian the server and Jennifer the bartender) all know what I like to drink. I like the choice between the front room, which looks out onto Philly's night scene crowd passing by, and the inner room, which is like being under water (good for a seafood place)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious lobster dinnerSilverQueenVIPDined on 6/22/20145 of us enjoyed the lobster special. I love many things on the menu and go there frequently. I recommend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best "Quietly" Vibrant BarBernadineDined on 6/21/2014Best for quiet bar scene with great food! Always enjoy the scallopsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gem.runningwaterDined on 6/19/2014Recently refurbished. Attractive decor. Good seafood, reasonably priced. Nice early bird specials. Friendly environment. Will go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something a little differentRandyODined on 6/14/2014My girlfriend ordered the soft shell crab which came already shelled and pan fried. It was definetly a little different but tasty. I had the seafood cobb salad which was very goodSpecial Features:
- Outstanding dinnerSilverQueenVIPDined on 6/14/2014We enjoyed delicious lobster and swordfish dinners. I dine here regularly and love it. I highly recommend it.
- Fabulous softshellsRuthinAZDined on 6/9/2014I had unbelievably good soft shells which the waiter recommended when I was between two items. They were cooked perfectly and came with mashed potatoes and asparagus which were also cooked perfectly. The Seafood Quintet had fantastic shrimp and scallops. I thought the sea bass, salmon and tilapia were good, but nothing extraordinary. Our server was attentive and friendly. The dinner was a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what was expected.jtyfunuticaDined on 6/8/2014Resturant itself was nice food was not what I expected at all... fish tasted frozen and instead of being crusted it was soggy like they cooked it in broth... I would not go back.
- Enjoyable brunchSilverQueenVIPDined on 6/8/2014This is a good place for brunch, not crowded, and you can make a reservation. I enjoyed the crab eggs benedict and my friend loved her fish and chips. There are many good options on the menu. I would recommend it.Special Features:
- Great location but...BajaDined on 6/6/2014Philly needs seafood restaurants. 30 years ago we used to go to Seafood Unlimited for fresh, unfancy meals. I've been there twice in their new version and I won't go again. My husband had bluefish that wasn't fresh. He didn't finish it but was still up all night feeling lousy. My "panko-crusted" seabass was an odd-tasting oily fish, didn't taste like seabass to me, made with breadcrumbs and then splashed with so much liquid, not crusted in panko which promises a crunch. My son's salmon and potato was fine, so i guess you'd be safe with that. The creamed spinach was good, the waiter was very nice. The prices, even if the food had been good, were pretty high.
- Lobster Tail SpecialrunningwaterDined on 6/4/2014We went for the lobster tail special on Wednesday nights. The lobster tail was succulent. Served with melted butter, Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes. Everything was delicious. We were early enough for happy hour and had the half priced mussels. A generous portion and also very good. The service was friendly and the ambiance interesting and pleasant. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice spot!Foodlov3rDined on 5/23/2014Great service, romantic, cozy and great tasting food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun diningLarInPhillyDined on 5/17/2014We brought friends from out of town. All of us enjoyed the service (not particularly friendly, distant, but ok with that as it was "professional"). The food was quite good. Interesting wall decorated in "found pieces" of glass and tile collage.
- beautifulspotDined on 5/17/2014was somewhat disappointed. Restaurant is not what it looks like in pictures. We were given a brunch menu on a Saturday afternoon (2:30) lunch. No what I expected. Was looking for broader menu. Plates did not come out looking like they do on the website. Website makes this place look much more upscale.
- First time visiting, will go backphillyfoodieVIPDined on 5/11/2014We had a large party and we received good service from our waitress. Everyone's order was correct and all the food came out at the same time. The food was tasty. I had the shrimp and grits. I would have preferred a stronger flavor of cheese in my grits, but the consistency of the grits was on point. The shrimp were large and grilled to perfection. I didn't care for the tomato based sauce on top, but overall the dish was very tasty. My fiancee's omelette was overcooked and the turkey bacon was undercooked, but I told him that he should have ordered seafood from a seafood restaurant not diner food :) We split a crab cake appetizer and that was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love2DineDined on 5/10/2014This was my second time dining at Seafood Unlimited. Great place, however, they were short staffed the Saturday before Mother's Day. Therefore, the service had taken longer than expected. Other than this, my mother and I enjoyed our brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YukdrexelmomDined on 4/26/2014Now i understand why the place was so empty on a saturday night. The place is cute but the food was awful.
- The following 258 reviews are from the Seafood Unlimited reviews archive.
- Fresh lobster dinner was deliciousSilverQueenVIPDined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed the fresh steamed lobster on special that evening. What a treat! Server was friendly and helpful. I eat dinner here frequently and would recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent andHamchiDined on 4/4/2014The food was excellent and we treated very well by the staff. Very attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tables were close, so if theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Tables were close, so if the people next to your table were loud it was hard to have conversation with the people at your own table. I had the crab cakes and was disappointed. The crab meat was shredded and watery inside. The vegetables had no flavor nor did the crab cakes.
- outstanding fresh fish.....serviceLennyVIPDined on 4/2/2014outstanding fresh fish.....service was great....since it is a small place reservations are advised.....wish they had a bigger location as tables are close......well worth a visit for the best fish meal aroundSpecial Features:
- reviewTeresaDined on 3/28/2014The interior was beautiful, modern, yet warm and cozy. The wait staff were attentive but not overbearing. I would rate it higher except both my dinner guest and I found our dishes extremely salty..to the point that neither of us finished the fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedBrunchDined on 3/23/2014The restaurant didn't open until 11am. We arrived at 10:55 and the door was locked. Our fault that we didn't pay attention to opening time. It was a little weird standing outside waiting. The menu was great. It was what attracted us there. All the food was over cooked but good. The server was just okay. Not overly friendly, but not rude. I inquired about Easter Sunday and the server never got back to me with an answer. Where most places are overflowing on Sundays, there were only 3 tables. That wasn't a bad thing though. I think the value for the dollar was good. I might go back.Special Features:
- Anniversary bummerDiamondsDined on 3/21/2014we live close by, thought this would be a great place for an informal anniversary dinner, food was great, drinks were not (a drop of alcohol and much juice) husbands beer was good and cold) not a very friendly place, we felt very uncomfortable like we did not belong there, waitress was ok, bartender was not, as we left the restaurant, no one (employees) bothered to say good night or anything else, maybe they just didn't like the way we looked (inter racial couple celebrating their 30th anniversary)Special Features:
- Quiet an unusual experienceyanquilandiaDined on 3/19/2014I made a reservation just in case I needed it, but when I arrived around 9 pm, I was the only one there with the exception of a woman at the bar. Nobody else arrived at all during the entire time I was there. The tables resembled those found in a cafeteria and didn't have an upscale feel. I had raw oysters as a starter. Two were very small and two were very large. All good quality. I had the sirloin and 1/2 lobster tail as the main plate (they had a promotion for $25) and the beef was cooked as requested (very rare) and the lobster tail was fresh. I was just sort of disappointed in the wait staff. Even though the place was empty, I felt they didn't care.