Sea Rocket Bistro
3382 30th Street
San Diego, CA 92104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Sea Rocket Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.searocketbistro.com/
- Phone: 6192557049
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Vegetarian / Vegan, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tommy Fraioli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call or e-mail us if you'd like to get a quote for catering your private party, wedding reception, corporate event, or anything else you can think of!
- Entertainment: We are always hosting special events such as new art installations, beer and wine pairing dinners, movie nights, and fundraisers for various local non-profit organizations. Just check our website calendar for more info.
- Special Events: Happening all the time...check out our blog or facebook page!
- Cross Street: Upas Street
- Public Transit: City Bus #2 goes up and down 30th Street, stopping within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is a small parking lot in the back of the building that is open to guests of all building businesses. Otherwise, non-metered street parking is available throughout the neighborhood.
A word from Sea Rocket Bistro
Sea Rocket Bistro is a farm-to-table restaurant focusing on sustainably harvested seafood, pastured meats, and organic produce using only locally and regionally available ingredients. We offer vegetarian & vegan options, and we serve only local craft beer & California wines..Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sea Rocket Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Uni Lover's ParadiseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/5/2013Had Uni 3 ways. Shooter was so-so, but in the sea urchin shell was spectacular! Uni gelato was a curiosity and was ok. Everyone in our party thought the seafood was great. If only the decor matched the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishMarkDined on 5/30/2013Wow, is this place is a find (assuming that you can find it and also find a place to park which is really difficult). The food is absolutely fresh and cooked perfectly--this seafood was as good as I've ever had (and I don't eat red meat so I eat a lot of fish).Special Features:
- Go for the unisdgirlieDined on 5/18/2013Went here for my husband's birthday. Make a reservation as the place is small and fills up quickly. We ordered oysters and uni to start. It took almost 20min before anyone took our order. Once we had food, we never saw waitress again. The live fresh local uni was by far the best I have ever had. For the mains we had braised pork cheeks and baja shrimp. I do love that the place has fresh local ingridients and while the food was just okay, I won't be returning. The service was bad and there is no liquor, only beer and wine. The overall vibe here is very nieghborhood. The happy hour specials look great, however unless you love uni I wouldn't go out of my way to try this spot.Special Features:
- We'll be backpjb304Dined on 5/17/2013The food was awesome and servers very friendly and attentive. I was surprised how long it took our food to come out but we weren't in a rush, so it wasn't a huge deal. Plus we appreciate slow food for what it is; I just wouldn't go for a quick bite. We had some pretty obnoxious customers at the table right next to ours and the tight seating made it more unpleasant but I can't blame that on the restaurant. Just don't let them come back. Bottom line is that we were treated very well and will definitely tell friends about the impressive food quality. Decor was clever too. Nice work, SRB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came highly recommended andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2013Came highly recommended and I would highly recommend. All local food, fresh, wonderful and prepared perfectly Great staff and cheery placeSpecial Features:
- We read that it was a awardOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/21/2013We read that it was a award winner on multiple fronts, but went in on a Dunday night and there was only one table occuppied. Dead, no energy. Too quiet for a Sea Rocket.
- It's Great!CourtneynKellenDined on 4/15/2013We came here for the first time on valentines day. My boyfriend had half of everything on the menu, and loved it. We came back last week with his mother, and had another great experience. Thanks Sea Rocket Bistro!Special Features:
- Lovely little restaurantlleighnVIPDined on 4/13/2013Really enjoyed dinner here. Very good, reasonably priced food.Special Features:
- Amazing Fish Sandwich, itMermaidVIPDined on 4/5/2013Amazing Fish Sandwich, it might just be the pretzel bun, but I wanted to order another right then!Special Features:
- As out-of-towners fatiguedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2013As out-of-towners fatigued after a day at the zoo, we stumbled on this place, and had a great meal. The menu was inventive and interesting, though perhaps not impeccably prepared. No matter: the meal was lovely, and a good wine list and great SD beer on tap made it even better. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and patient. The place appears to be nestled in a neighborhood not unlike one we'd find in our home city. Will definitely return next time we're visiting the area.Special Features:
- Four of us gathered to celebrateDavidDined on 3/24/2013Four of us gathered to celebrate our wedding anniversaries with Sunday dinner at Sea Rocket. All of our drinks, appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts were excellent. I tied the grilled sardines and found them to be scrumptious. My wife's yellow tail filet was grilled to absolute perfection. Love the name Sea Rocket, love the re-purposed interior decor, especially the cardboard fish, and now know the food lives up to the hype.Special Features:
- Good once but I wouldn't goOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Good once but I wouldn't go back. Alexander's across the street is heads above.Special Features:
- Fit for Seafoodie and VegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013A friend was in town and wanted seafood; I'm a vegetarian. Where to go? I looked and looked and found this place. It was perfect. She got the fisherman's stew which was a giant bowl of large fresh things (what I remember was the giant pile of legs - crab? I can't recall now) which she said was just what she wanted. For my main dish I had the spiced bbq Seitan. It was tasty, spicy, and with home made kimchi on it. Oh yum - wheat gluten never tasted so good. Really. Based on a recommendation I also had the zucchini soup which was vegetarian and I agree, it was great. We both went for a berry dessert that you would never have known was gluten free. Terrific. What a find. (great service too)
- Have been there w friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013Have been there w friends 3 times. Great food, but there are no noise baffles in the decor, so a full room is a noisy room. The servers are well trained, articulate, and helpful. Will go again, but earlier.Special Features:
- There were 4 of us and wefoodieDined on 3/14/2013There were 4 of us and we enjoyed it very much. We all ordered something different and it was all delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful combo of seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013Wonderful combo of seafood and vegetarian. Great micro brews.Special Features:
- Our experience at Sea RocketOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2013Our experience at Sea Rocket was overall average. Appetizers and Entrees were slightly overpriced. Food was decent, our server was friendly, but nothing outstanding. A fine place to go once, but no real desire to return.
- Open Table MistakeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/3/2013Open table scheduled me for he wrong day. When I went for dinner on a Saturday they had accidentally booked me for Sunday. Sea Rocket Bistro could not accommodate so we left. Would not recommend either Sea Rocket Bistro or Open Table, though open table is at the root of the problem. Make a call for your reservation, it's worth it. I know I will next time.
- Food wasn't as great as IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2013Food wasn't as great as I had remembered and it took FOREVER but they brought those who were drinking wine a little extra to compensate for the wait!
- Not what it once was whenEdPhillVIPDined on 3/2/2013Not what it once was when Chad White was there, is it? The beef cheeks were far too spicey.
- dissapointing but not badOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2013considering the posssibilites. after i saw the chef on the andrew z.tv food show featuring catalina seafoods in san dego, the experience was dissapointing but not bad. the ambience was chic gentrified noeth park setting and nice. the service was good and attentive enough without being meddlesome. i had yellowtail cooked well but not overdone but needed a light sauce of some kind to make it more than a piece of fish lopped on a plate. a wasabi type thing would have been perfect. my wife's gnocchi looked good but could have been accompanied by spinach or kale. my brother liked his fish burger. the vegatables were over broiled and left limp and almost burn't. the deserts, bread pudding and a novel blood orange sorbet, were very goo
- Great food and craft beerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2013We had a great time. We ate mainly appetizers, and they were phenomenal. The service was sub-par as our waitress took 15 minutes to get our food order, and did not refill our water for 10 minutes. Other than the service, which from the looks of things, was not happening with anyone else, it was great. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- We ate here two years agoakathewriterDined on 2/15/2013We ate here two years ago and it was not a good experience. It was gluten free and blah blah blah. New menu and different feel in the restaurant is what changed our dining experience. We will be back for great local food:)Special Features:
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013We had been told there were good nights and not-so-good nights on food quality. I don't know if that person was wrong or if we hit a really good night because the food was great. Our waitress was very attentive and helpful. Overall, a very good night.Special Features:
- I'm a seafood fanatic, whoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013I'm a seafood fanatic, who usually seeks out and orders fish when it is available on the menu. On this night at Sea Rocket Bistro, I enjoyed the best piece of grouper I've ever had, and one of the best piece of fish I've ever had, period. The fish was perfectly cooked -- moist throughout, evenly done, and with brilliant charring on the skin. Absolutely amazing. We sat near the open kitchen, and the folks in the kitchen yell. If this will bother you, it's probably best to sit on the other half of the restaurant, where the acoustics are dampened and kitchen noise can't reach. In sum, this was a wonderful experience. I've been to Sea Rocket a half dozen or more times, and the food has been consistently wonderful.Special Features:
- The restaurant was a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013The restaurant was a lovely find--fun, lively, low key. The food quality was very good, the wait staff was friendly and informal. It was exactly what we were looking for; it made for a perfect evening.Special Features:
- appetizers were great(loveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013appetizers were great(love the baja shrimp)...burgers outstanding(both fish beef)...and service with delightful smiles. we were happy happy humans that will definitely return!Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/27/2013Absolutely wonderful food. Had the steamers and the bread pudding. Wow! Very tasty. Beautifully presenting. What a gem. I felt lucky to have found it. Thanks.Special Features:
- Food was mediocre. We orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/26/2013Food was mediocre. We ordered the black cod collar - this could have been better with some added acidity. My osso bucco was bland. Even the sardines that they are famous for were lacking in taste. Service was slow. It probably took about 30 minutes for our appetizers to arrive and another 15 mins for our entrees. After our entrees were served, the wait staff did not check on us to see how the food was.
- Overall, the food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/25/2013Overall, the food was excellent and brought my overall rating of the place up. But even as good as the food was, the service was almost a complete opposite. Very slow to get food out and when at the table it was only lukewarm.Special Features:
- Wonderful food! Creative,AcilibertoDined on 1/18/2013Wonderful food! Creative, delicious, satisfying and perfect portioning. I will be going back.Special Features:
- I was recommended by friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/17/2013I was recommended by friends to try Sea Rocket Bistro because they knew that I love local restaurants with unique twists on food pairings. And they were 100% correct. I love this restaurant which is in my neighborhood. Their burger with bacon jam (yes bacon jam) melts in your mouth. Everything about this place is great...but it's a hot spot at night especially on the weekend. So make reservations and be prepared that it's energetic. I would not take a first date here. Just not the place to have an intimate conversation...but if it's a 2nd date or beyond the GO! I love this place...It's on my short list of local favorites.Special Features:
- We loved the service and attentionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/5/2013We loved the service and attention we got, as well as the quality of the food that was served. Our only problem was that the restaurant did not have our reservations in their computer - we were lucky a table had just opened up!Special Features:
- Interesting but somewhat limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 1/5/2013Interesting but somewhat limited menu. Good beer selection.Special Features:
- Local, fresh and delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/15/2012Excellent for local, fresh seafood served up with style and flavor.Special Features:
- My birthday celebration withDineOBitesDined on 12/15/2012My birthday celebration with five guests and myself was amazing! Spot on! We had a prepared lovely meal and everyone enjoyed every bite! Get the sardines, uni shooter, fish, fish, fish, and don't skip out on their amazing desserts like uni ice cream :)Special Features:
- Had dinner for 4 on a SaturdayFreddyDined on 12/1/2012Had dinner for 4 on a Saturday night. Great little seafood place. Small but interesting menu. We heard that the service could be spotty, but they were great the night we went.Special Features:
- Unique menu and craft beerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012Unique menu and craft beer selection. Will definately be giving the sea urchin a try next time! Will definately be back.Special Features:
- Great ambiance. Drinks great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012Great ambiance. Drinks great. Food just average. For the price I wouldn't go back to eat, maybe for a drink.Special Features:
- Came here for beer week. SatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2012Came here for beer week. Sat at our table right away thanks to our Open Table reservation. Waited for an hour for my order only to find out that my order could not be fully completed. Wish I had ordered something else or at least had a heads up from our server. They tried to make up for it which was better than nothing but its not like the place was jumping or anything. Which makes me think this could have easily been avoided. Good service is definitely an art and a skill and my hat goes off to those who do it well. I'll probably be back to try other things on the menu. Ive hard too many good things about this place from too many people not to give them another chance.