Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
40 Bowery Beach Road
Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.innbythesea.com/
- Phone: (207) 799-3134
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Kaldrovich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Misty Beaulieu 207-799-3134x
A word from Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea offers an unsurpassed Maine dining experience with spectacular ocean views from its intimate dining room or al fresco deck. The freshest local ingredients form the basis of our authentic Maine menu featuring the finest examples of classic regional fare prepared with Chef Mitchell Kaldrovich's international flare. Sea Glass serves breakfast, lunch and dinner year-round and an all-day snack menu. Hours vary by season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea - Best Restaurants in Cape Elizabeth ›
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (51)great for outdoor dining (39)special occasion (39)fit for foodies (31)romantic (28)notable wine list (25)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (18)kid-friendly (13)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Excellent food and wine. Outstanding, friendly service. Our first visit but we will certainly go back as often as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Margaux8Dined on 11/1/2014Our Saturday Brunch was everything we expected, and more. No self-service. No buffet. But a full Brunch menu with full table service. The wine list was truly imaginative, and we had many selections on offer when we decided to order French Champagne. The food lived up to expectations. A real success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemHOBEDined on 10/31/2014Excellent food and service. Plus you can have a conversation and be heard. Additionally, a good place for breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Sea GlassOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014The Inn by the Sea is a great place with great people running it. My wife and I eat at their restaurant (Sea Glass) once or twice a month. Several weeks ago we took some out-of-town guests to brunch there. As it was the end of the season, they had some new staff who were very pleasant but not quite up to speed on the level of service we have come to expect at this great restaurant. While the location is very scenic, the dining experience was a bit underwhelming. The management there is very good and I'm confident that this is a very temporary situation. If you have not tried Sea Glass, you are missing out on a great location. The food is always good and fairly priced. The service is usually excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful for lunchNothingmuddyhereDined on 10/7/2014I have only been here for lunch but would think very nice for dinner in the summertime when it is much lighter outside. The lunch menu provides plenty of choices and will accommodate personal preference. I wanted the fish taco broiled and not blackened and they were able to do that for me I have never been to dinner here, but certainly would consider trying.Special Features:
- Great for Gluten Free People!MaineMom2VIPDined on 10/4/2014We had celebrated my birthday in August at Sea Glass, and it was my top choice to return to celebrate our anniversary. Being gluten free, I feel completely comfortable dining here, as the menu is labeled for gluten and vegan diners. When asked, they will bring gluten free bread as well. They offer a small, but expensive, kids menu so our girls can join us. Their food is inventive and expertly prepared, and the view can't be beat.Special Features:
- Great SpotBuxtonFFEMTPDined on 10/3/2014I was looking for a nice place to take my wife for dinner and decided to try Sea Glass. What a gem!! Small, quiet with a great atmosphere. Good for groups or just couples. The staff are amazing and very attentive. Upon walking into the Inn we noticed a section opposite the resturant where patrons can bring their well behaved digs and still have access to the same menu but you would never know they were there. There is outdoor seating but we sat inside. There are gluten free and vegan options. We had the paella which was absolutely amazing. We are planning a return trip soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDenisVIPDined on 9/18/2014The food was very well prepared, suitable for the most discerning tastes. The ambiance was nice, and the view was beautiful of the bay. A great spot and all around place for dinner and overnight stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaglass, a disappointmentSilkyDined on 9/15/2014We were surprised after reading the website and some reviews to be really disappointed in Seaglass. While the wait staff was very good, the food was not. The lobster bisque was intense and sort of smoky and had little lobster in it. My salmon would have been fine except for a heavy brown sauce which completely covered up the flavor of the salmon. The paella was sort of broiled, very dry, and the rice which is meant to be saffron and on the creamy side was incredibly spicy and totally overpowered the dish.Special Features:
- Million Dollar View and BilllucyleepDined on 9/7/2014I had family in town and thought I'd splurge and take them to Sea Glass for brunch. Our special request for a table outside was granted and the weather and view were extraordinary. As a vegan I was pleased to see scrambled tofu on the menu and there was an extensive children's menu for my picky 11 year old. Service was painfully slow and my meal was bland, dry cold and overpriced. The bill, which took an exorbitant amount of time to arrive, was shockingly high. I will not eat here again.Special Features:
- Incredible spotJamesDined on 9/4/2014The food was perfect in portions, presentation and flavor. The staff is fantastic. Attentive without being intrusive and personable. incredible views from all seats.Special Features:
- Fit for man and beasthonestevalDined on 9/3/2014We live in Cape Elizabeth and really enjoy going to the Sea Glass. The food is quite good and it has ambiance galore. Whether it is al fresco dining or at the bar, the Inn by The Sea allows our two dogs to come with us. This is a rare in the US to find a place where you can bring all members of the family. The one mark against the Sea Glass is that if there is any sort of crowd the service slows to a crawl. The servers are all quite charming and responsive however the kitchen seems to struggle with the volume. Do let this deter you from going to a gem by the sea. Take the timing in stride, enjoy the view and perhaps an extra glass of wine. And oh by the way, if you are a local and tell your server, they take 15% off your tab!Special Features:
- A Neighborhood Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014I live near the Inn By the Sea and have frequented the hotel and restaurant for over 50 years through changes of ownership and management. The Sea Glass is a gem - whether it is for a lunch with a special friend, a family event summer or winter, or a private business meeting, everything is always superb. My niece's wedding was spectacular....Special Features:
- UnderstaffedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2014Gorgeous location, very good food, they were woefully understaffed and getting any service at all was a serious struggle.Special Features:
- foodie100Dined on 8/31/2014food was good, but did not measure up to the hype online. the presence of several children made the restaurant noisy and not conducive to a romantic night out.Special Features:
- Labor Day BrunchDaveSDined on 8/31/2014Great place to settle in, enjoy family, and enjoy a great Sunday brunch. Service was a bit slower than usual..we suspect that dining room was understaffed - presumably some of the kitchen staff had returned to school. We'll definitely return, however!!Special Features:
- Polished Sea Glass is a Gemel7ciervoDined on 8/28/2014My husband and I spent a delightful winter weekend here years ago and recently dined outdoors, at sunset, when the setting is truly romantic. Gardens below and seascape beyond are breathtaking. After strolling Crescent Beach, which lies below the beautifully set Inn, we enjoyed a fine Belgian beer that we had not sampled a few weeks before, while in BEL. Sea Glass has an impressive selection of wine and beer. Our dinners were served quickly, hot and graciously. My husband had a delicious salmon dish; I enjoyed my pasta and we shared a generous portion of peach gelato, sandwiched between ginger-infused cookies. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I'll assume you'll use this as a chance to improve Sea Glass where improvement might be needed, and continue with the strong aspects of the restaurant we found. First, all food was excellent: Baked dates, farmer's salad, chicken under a brick and broiled scallops. Service was slightly lagging, main server comfortable in conversation, entree server not at all comfortable. For the prices, I would expect slightly better service, especially this late in the summer season.Special Features:
- Best viewNHYankeeVIPDined on 8/24/2014We love IBTS, but the service can be variable. The wait on our latest visit was ridiculous. Even though we had a reservation first we waited for our table to be set then we waited for menus and then waited for a long time for some one to take our drinks order. In total the time waited from arrival to drinks order was about 30 minutes. If the the setting and the food weren't so spectacular, we would not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!kbnyVIPDined on 8/21/2014We actually ate at Sea Glass twice and both times it was great. One night I had the Local tomatoes and my daughter the mixed greens followed by the Faroe Island Salmon and the Vegan Quinoa, both excellent. The next time I had the beets carpaccio and the Pollock and my daughter the mixed greens again and the Lobster Gnocchi - again, both excellent. We also got the roasted carrots one night but, even by NYC standards, I thought $8 for 6 tiny carrots was crazy. Desserts were also wonderful, especially the blueberry tart.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience and Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014The scenic views from the dining area are beautiful. The food here is delicious and prepared very well. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the experience and will return again. The staff were all wonderful as well. Walk the grounds and down to the beach after you eat if you have time. It's just beautiful here.Special Features:
- Dining alfrescoNykrrDined on 8/17/2014The Inn never ceases to satisfy. We had a birthday dinner there and celebrated on the deck. The view was wonderful had the lobster tasting menu and was quite surprised at the variety of tastes, all served in small dishes and spoons . As a resident of maine, this was a great new way to eat lobster. Even lobster gelato - wow! The service was attentive and friendly. Love this place.Special Features:
- excellent servicequalityh2oDined on 8/14/2014I came here with my family (party of 5) as guests at the Inn by the Sea for our parents' anniversary. Dinner was excellent, the food well made, great presentation. View is beautiful. But the service was outstanding - we had an excellent server, Shannon, who was personable, friendly, gave us great touring tips for other parts of Maine, quick to check on us. Loved her and the service from the staff at Inn by the Sea. They made our trip memorable. :)Special Features:
- Worth the waitReviwer1963eVIPDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant is part of the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth. While small, it is a lovely spot and the food is very good. Due to the fact that we decided last minute to take the family there on a weekend, we couldn't get a table until 9pm. While later than we would normally eat, the service was solid, food was worth the wait. The restaurant is only 15 minutes from downtown Portland so diners shouldn't hesitate to make the drive.Special Features:
- Very good butCalschwartzDined on 8/4/2014We eat out a lot and as far as food it was perfect. I didn't like our first table indoors. The indoor eating is in an open lobby and it's loud and just not private enough. We asked to sit outside which made all the difference until the Mosquitos came out and attacked. We skipped dessert so we could just leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperiencejandsouttoeatVIPDined on 7/28/2014I am a vegetarian and there were three interesting options. I went with the kale and ricotta ravioli which was outstanding - the ravioli shells were amazing light, and the filling was delicious. Service was very attentive without being bothersome. Dessert was great - a roasted strawberries shortcake - the shortcake was light and tasty, as were the strawberries and whipped cream. One disappointment was the "local tomatoe" appetizer - $13 for a few ordinary tomatoes with sparse crumble of goat cheese and some lettuce.Special Features:
- The following 356 reviews are from the Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea reviews archive.
- Wonderful experienceSASJBCDined on 7/18/2014Had a fabulous dinner on the terrace overlooking soft sea grass down to the ocean. Amazing service made the experience fell special. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down Near the SeaMargaux8Dined on 7/13/2014A varied menu of well-prepared food; a surprisingly lengthy wine list and a wide variety of wines; a view of the Atlantic Ocean in the distance; and a generally excellent wait staff make Sea Grass a favorite destination of local residents in Cape Elizabeth and visitors, many of whom stay in the guest rooms of the Inn By the Sea. Noteworthy dishes included a flavorful gazpacho soup; fresh mussels; and the freshest possible sea scallops pan seared. We also liked the chicken roasted "under a brick." A creative variety of desserts are made by a pastry chef in the restaurant. We also appreciated the unusually broad selection of Malbec reds from Argentina, also the native country of the Executive Chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food is even better than prior years. Service is friendly, welcoming, and efficient. Great ambienceSpecial Features:
- Great food, ambienceribbetDined on 7/10/2014Can't beat the ocean view and ambience. But as a short person, initially seated in the back of the dining room, couldn't see a thing so moved outside to the deck. Friendly service, quick but not rushed. Excellent seafood. Menu had many options. Be aware that dogs are welcome here, on the deck and bar area. I am not a fan of dining with other peoples dogs. I know some will love this option. But fine dining is not the place for people's pets in my opinion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014food off this visit, but typically delicious. wonderful night tho: service & setting perfect. will go again & againSpecial Features:
- Good but slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014We stayed as guests at Inn by the Sea. The food was quite good, although the menu is a little too limited for guests staying longer than a couple nights - the "daily specials" are really "season specials." The service is friendly but relies almost exclusively on college students who are working for the summer - this issue is that, while well-intentioned, they do not seem to be well-trained or closely supervised. So hotel guests should be prepared to eat repeat meals from a smallish menu and be a little patient with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea GlassSetterpalVIPDined on 7/6/2014The food was excellent! We especially loved the scallops and the paella. Everything was so fresh and creative. Limited wine list, but the wait staff was helpful, although service can be uneven.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014great spot! little more up beat music would be niceSpecial Features:
- Great peaceful mealTrailerkingVIPDined on 7/4/2014Food was great, not exceptional, little noisy in dining room, selection somewhat limited, service was good, limited wine available, pricing little steep, but overall was good.Special Features:
- Best look aroundFroggyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Not a good experience (service and food are both non existent) but in a beautiful settingSpecial Features:
- Great foodAnnetteDined on 6/20/2014My wife had the lobster sample for dinner and she was so impressed. It was very delicious. I enjoyed my dinner very much too. Great experience.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2014We love coming here when we visit Scarborough. The food is consistently delicious and our daughter with Celiac's has numerous choices, including desserts. The staff is very pleasant and helpful and patient with my elderly parents. I see them cater to the needs of people with children and pets as well...Overall a delightful experienceSpecial Features:
- Elegant SerenityFCUISSEVIPDined on 6/18/2014The Sea Glass is a peaceful oasis on the southern Maine coast. Its location just outside of Portland puts it close to some very strong competition. But it stands up well in comparison. As a hotel-based restaurant, it seeks middle ground between traditional continental cuisine and the deconstructionist, molecular gastronomic new wave, and appropriately so. Don’t expect “foams” or “smoked” or a "foie gras milk shake", but elegant preparations with a farm to table focus. And the wine list is interesting enough to find some gems. Its not inexpensive, but neither is the real estate on which it sits.Special Features:
- Pretty spottigreyezVIPDined on 6/14/2014Dined here while visiting for a few days -- excellent service and beautiful view from outdoor patio. Waitstaff was attentive and friendly! Wine list offered a nice, varied selection. Courses were timed perfectly - arriving at just the right temperature and were as nicely presented as they were delicious. Romantic and delightful - the Sea Glass is definitely worth a night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.