Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
40 Bowery Beach Road
Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.innbythesea.com/
- Phone: 2077993134x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Kaldrovich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Misty Beaulieu 207-799-3134x
A word from Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea offers an unsurpassed Maine dining experience with spectacular ocean views from its intimate dining room or al fresco deck. The freshest local ingredients form the basis of our authentic Maine menu featuring the finest examples of classic regional fare prepared with Chef Mitchell Kaldrovich's international flare. Sea Glass serves breakfast, lunch and dinner year-round and an all-day snack menu. Hours vary by season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea - Best Restaurants in Cape Elizabeth ›
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (60)great for outdoor dining (46)special occasion (38)fit for foodies (31)romantic (28)great for brunch (23)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (19)kid-friendly (17)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- foodie100Dined on 8/31/2014food was good, but did not measure up to the hype online. the presence of several children made the restaurant noisy and not conducive to a romantic night out.Special Features:
- Polished Sea Glass is a Gemel7ciervoDined on 8/28/2014My husband and I spent a delightful winter weekend here years ago and recently dined outdoors, at sunset, when the setting is truly romantic. Gardens below and seascape beyond are breathtaking. After strolling Crescent Beach, which lies below the beautifully set Inn, we enjoyed a fine Belgian beer that we had not sampled a few weeks before, while in BEL. Sea Glass has an impressive selection of wine and beer. Our dinners were served quickly, hot and graciously. My husband had a delicious salmon dish; I enjoyed my pasta and we shared a generous portion of peach gelato, sandwiched between ginger-infused cookies. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I'll assume you'll use this as a chance to improve Sea Glass where improvement might be needed, and continue with the strong aspects of the restaurant we found. First, all food was excellent: Baked dates, farmer's salad, chicken under a brick and broiled scallops. Service was slightly lagging, main server comfortable in conversation, entree server not at all comfortable. For the prices, I would expect slightly better service, especially this late in the summer season.Special Features:
- Best viewNHYankeeVIPDined on 8/24/2014We love IBTS, but the service can be variable. The wait on our latest visit was ridiculous. Even though we had a reservation first we waited for our table to be set then we waited for menus and then waited for a long time for some one to take our drinks order. In total the time waited from arrival to drinks order was about 30 minutes. If the the setting and the food weren't so spectacular, we would not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!kbnyVIPDined on 8/21/2014We actually ate at Sea Glass twice and both times it was great. One night I had the Local tomatoes and my daughter the mixed greens followed by the Faroe Island Salmon and the Vegan Quinoa, both excellent. The next time I had the beets carpaccio and the Pollock and my daughter the mixed greens again and the Lobster Gnocchi - again, both excellent. We also got the roasted carrots one night but, even by NYC standards, I thought $8 for 6 tiny carrots was crazy. Desserts were also wonderful, especially the blueberry tart.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience and Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014The scenic views from the dining area are beautiful. The food here is delicious and prepared very well. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the experience and will return again. The staff were all wonderful as well. Walk the grounds and down to the beach after you eat if you have time. It's just beautiful here.Special Features:
- Dining alfrescoNykrrDined on 8/17/2014The Inn never ceases to satisfy. We had a birthday dinner there and celebrated on the deck. The view was wonderful had the lobster tasting menu and was quite surprised at the variety of tastes, all served in small dishes and spoons . As a resident of maine, this was a great new way to eat lobster. Even lobster gelato - wow! The service was attentive and friendly. Love this place.Special Features:
- excellent servicequalityh2oDined on 8/14/2014I came here with my family (party of 5) as guests at the Inn by the Sea for our parents' anniversary. Dinner was excellent, the food well made, great presentation. View is beautiful. But the service was outstanding - we had an excellent server, Shannon, who was personable, friendly, gave us great touring tips for other parts of Maine, quick to check on us. Loved her and the service from the staff at Inn by the Sea. They made our trip memorable. :)Special Features:
- Very good butCalschwartzDined on 8/4/2014We eat out a lot and as far as food it was perfect. I didn't like our first table indoors. The indoor eating is in an open lobby and it's loud and just not private enough. We asked to sit outside which made all the difference until the Mosquitos came out and attacked. We skipped dessert so we could just leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperiencejandsouttoeatDined on 7/28/2014I am a vegetarian and there were three interesting options. I went with the kale and ricotta ravioli which was outstanding - the ravioli shells were amazing light, and the filling was delicious. Service was very attentive without being bothersome. Dessert was great - a roasted strawberries shortcake - the shortcake was light and tasty, as were the strawberries and whipped cream. One disappointment was the "local tomatoe" appetizer - $13 for a few ordinary tomatoes with sparse crumble of goat cheese and some lettuce.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceSASJBCDined on 7/18/2014Had a fabulous dinner on the terrace overlooking soft sea grass down to the ocean. Amazing service made the experience fell special. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down Near the SeaMargaux8Dined on 7/13/2014A varied menu of well-prepared food; a surprisingly lengthy wine list and a wide variety of wines; a view of the Atlantic Ocean in the distance; and a generally excellent wait staff make Sea Grass a favorite destination of local residents in Cape Elizabeth and visitors, many of whom stay in the guest rooms of the Inn By the Sea. Noteworthy dishes included a flavorful gazpacho soup; fresh mussels; and the freshest possible sea scallops pan seared. We also liked the chicken roasted "under a brick." A creative variety of desserts are made by a pastry chef in the restaurant. We also appreciated the unusually broad selection of Malbec reds from Argentina, also the native country of the Executive Chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food is even better than prior years. Service is friendly, welcoming, and efficient. Great ambienceSpecial Features:
- Great food, ambienceribbetDined on 7/10/2014Can't beat the ocean view and ambience. But as a short person, initially seated in the back of the dining room, couldn't see a thing so moved outside to the deck. Friendly service, quick but not rushed. Excellent seafood. Menu had many options. Be aware that dogs are welcome here, on the deck and bar area. I am not a fan of dining with other peoples dogs. I know some will love this option. But fine dining is not the place for people's pets in my opinion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014food off this visit, but typically delicious. wonderful night tho: service & setting perfect. will go again & againSpecial Features:
- Good but slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014We stayed as guests at Inn by the Sea. The food was quite good, although the menu is a little too limited for guests staying longer than a couple nights - the "daily specials" are really "season specials." The service is friendly but relies almost exclusively on college students who are working for the summer - this issue is that, while well-intentioned, they do not seem to be well-trained or closely supervised. So hotel guests should be prepared to eat repeat meals from a smallish menu and be a little patient with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea GlassSetterpalVIPDined on 7/6/2014The food was excellent! We especially loved the scallops and the paella. Everything was so fresh and creative. Limited wine list, but the wait staff was helpful, although service can be uneven.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014great spot! little more up beat music would be niceSpecial Features:
- Great peaceful mealTrailerkingVIPDined on 7/4/2014Food was great, not exceptional, little noisy in dining room, selection somewhat limited, service was good, limited wine available, pricing little steep, but overall was good.Special Features:
- Best look aroundFroggyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Not a good experience (service and food are both non existent) but in a beautiful settingSpecial Features:
- Great foodAnnetteDined on 6/20/2014My wife had the lobster sample for dinner and she was so impressed. It was very delicious. I enjoyed my dinner very much too. Great experience.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2014We love coming here when we visit Scarborough. The food is consistently delicious and our daughter with Celiac's has numerous choices, including desserts. The staff is very pleasant and helpful and patient with my elderly parents. I see them cater to the needs of people with children and pets as well...Overall a delightful experienceSpecial Features:
- Elegant SerenityFCUISSEVIPDined on 6/18/2014The Sea Glass is a peaceful oasis on the southern Maine coast. Its location just outside of Portland puts it close to some very strong competition. But it stands up well in comparison. As a hotel-based restaurant, it seeks middle ground between traditional continental cuisine and the deconstructionist, molecular gastronomic new wave, and appropriately so. Don’t expect “foams” or “smoked” or a "foie gras milk shake", but elegant preparations with a farm to table focus. And the wine list is interesting enough to find some gems. Its not inexpensive, but neither is the real estate on which it sits.Special Features:
- Pretty spottigreyezVIPDined on 6/14/2014Dined here while visiting for a few days -- excellent service and beautiful view from outdoor patio. Waitstaff was attentive and friendly! Wine list offered a nice, varied selection. Courses were timed perfectly - arriving at just the right temperature and were as nicely presented as they were delicious. Romantic and delightful - the Sea Glass is definitely worth a night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Eveningbascott59Dined on 6/14/2014Had a great time a Sea Glass. The food was really good, the service outstanding and we had a beautiful view of the bay from our patio table. I would highly recommend the Sea Glass and will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view; average goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2014We made a reservation for four and asked to expand to 5, which they made a fuss about for no reason. The food was expensive but not up to it. Very ordinary. Bread was good. Nice views but tables very plain.Special Features:
- $11 per scallopOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/3/2014Too pretentious. Doesn't deliver. We have been to some of the best restaurants in the world. This makes a sad attempt to be one.Special Features:
- Terrific DinnerLocalResidentVIPDined on 5/31/2014Excellent service, fabulous setting and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okayourbrunchoutDined on 5/30/2014The restaurant was okay, but we expected a bit more flare and imagination in the food for the price of around $100 per person. The view was disappointing, just a view of the marshland and no view of the sea except way in the distance. No rocks or crashing surf could be seen from the restaurant.
- Great nightslp2Dined on 5/24/2014Always pleased with the food and service we receive here.Special Features:
- ConsistencyJosephDined on 5/24/2014The setting is beautiful but the food could be better. Some dishes are either too salty or not salty enough and the quality of the focaccia should be higher. On one occasion the chef forgot to use one of the menu highlighted ingredients of the dish. And that was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Best Eggs BenedictWallyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Lovely restaurant overlooking the lawn, garden and the distance ocean with good food and service. Our request to move to the opposite side of the dining room was promptly accommodated due to loud conversations next to us. The food was scrumptious and special praise should go to the hollandaise sauce of my classic Eggs Benedict. The pancake with the blueberries packing the underside also deserve honorable mention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable experiencefrangieDined on 5/17/2014great food by a talented chef. The indoor dining room decor is disappointing not up to the food. But the terrace is great as weel as the menu. Nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Mom and Step DadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014Fantastic night. Great service. Great food. Great atmosphere. Thoroughly enjoy Sea Glass and will be back for a third time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentdrzomsDined on 5/11/2014We love dining here, as it's close to home and always excellent, albeit pricey. The service is always warm and gracious, the food fantastic and consistent, and creative. Not the best value on the planet, but perfect for special occasions and a lovely view, or even just cocktails and apps in the bar!Special Features:
- dinner at sea glassdineoutDined on 5/9/2014Food was very good, small dining room, more intimate. Ate breakfast here also. very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, views to matchkenessDined on 5/6/2014Sea Glass restaurant presents you with a lovely ocean view (patio if weather permits) & elegantly executed dishes that are beyond ordinary. Appetizers, an extraordinary wine cellar and you're set up for the entrees. Everybody raves about the paella, so I will too. Their Argentine-trained chef adds a few touches of local Maine seafood to a classic paella, and you'll be happy with the outcome. Other seafood dishes, such as the very fresh pan-roasted pollock, were also tasty and imaginatively presented. Yes, of course the dessert menu has more than meets the eye. You choose your favorites, but you won't be disappointed. We had the Warm Callebaut Chocolate Cake (think molten lava) offset by a scoop or raspberry sorbet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 329 reviews are from the Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea reviews archive.
- Anniversary celebrationRoxBDined on 4/9/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary at Sea Glass and it was a meal to remember. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food and was super friendly. We started with an amuse bouche of crostini with goat cheese and beets...nice little nibble. We both had the lobster bisque as a starter...it was creamy and was not overpowered by sherry as some bisques tend to be. My husband had the salmon with root vegetable hash...I didn't taste it but he said it was good. I had the braised lamb shank and although they gave me a knife it was totally unnecessary as the meat melted off the bone and was incredibly moist and delicous. For dessert we shared a cheese plate and had plenty left over to take back to our room for the next day. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't Go BackOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2014Stayed at the Inn for my anniversary weekend. Had a Sunday 8pm dinner and we were the only couple in the entire restaurant. The waitress literally had only our table to deal with. Took forever to get water, drinks, bread and our food. When the food did come, it wasn't that great at all. I don't think we saw the waitress after our dinner was served. Waitress blew her chance to get a few more drinks on the bill. We asked for dessert to go, and she came back with 3 scoops of ice cream in a dixie cup. Just not what we were expecting at all for a hotel restaurant. Wouldn't go back. Worth the drive into Portland or down the road to eat anywhere else.Special Features:
- Great view with some vegan optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014The two plant-based entrees, "Ultimate Vegan Quinoa" and "Vegan Pasta", were delicious, although a bit pricey. The vegan soup of the day was also very good. The sorbet was ok, but at $6 for two very small scoops, was not a good value and we would not order it again. The service staff were all fantastic. It would be great if the restaurant offered more plant-based optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.