806 South Second Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seachangempls.com/
- Phone: 6122256499x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday -Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
Saturday and Sunday Brunch Served 10:00am to 2:00pm
Late night available in the lounge nightly until 11:00pm.
Bar is open following most performances
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Tim McKee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fabulous seafood, crudo, and non-fish items served with panache in a beautiful semi-private setting with views of the Mississippi River.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private dining for up to 50 guests. Available bookings are at 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Scher 6122256470x
- Special Events: For all our theatre-going patrons, be advised to make your dinner plans 1 1/2 - 2 hrs ahead of the curtain to ensure an unrushed dining experience
A word from Sea Change
Renowned Chef Tim McKee, 2009 James Beard award winner for “Best Chef Midwest”, designed the core menu for Sea Change which focuses on sustainable seafood, highlighting fisheries that use environmentally responsible methods of gathering and farming seafood. The menu also includes a number of items under the heading “Not Fish” as well as late night offerings of small plates and raw bar selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sea Change - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Sea Change reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (188)fit for foodies (172)scenic view (156)romantic (96)great for outdoor dining (91)notable wine list (55)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (37)great for brunch (37)neighborhood gem (36)late-night find (26)great for lunch (24)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Before theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014Had tickets to the Guthrie, extremely convenient for a pre show dinner. Very busy pre show, service suffered due to that. Limited menu. Fish stew was OK, broth was very strongly flavored overpowering the seafood. Bread and dessert were very good. Would return if attending the theater, but otherwise would not.Special Features:
- Before the showMarieDined on 8/30/2014Excellent service by the host, waitress, and bus person.Special Features:
- Brunch2014celebrateDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed the Sea Change brunch which included the excellent menu choices, the excellent advise we received from our waitress regarding the menu items and the suggestion to split the entrees. The food was excellent and served in a timely manner allowing us to attend the play at Guthrie in plenty of time. It was an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not have better experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/20146 multi generational family members out for birthday... 1st seating after theater goers leave (7:30), so quiet surroundings. Our server was so attentive, described everything lovingly, enjoyed us enjoying ourselves. Food here is always great (menu smaller b/c only use sustainably certified seafood), inventively paired, great melding of flavors ... very easy to explore. But again, the care and oversight provided throughout the service was of a type that has almost no peer these days. I thanked the manager (who was also quite lovely, clearly he sets the stage by which the staff operates as a team), and am posting this in part to thank the restaurant again. Best 2.5 hours in restaurant in recent memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!HappyMotherDined on 8/28/2014Food was divine, service was excellent and it was a perfect beginning for My Fair Lady!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly executed!LovejoyeatsoutDined on 8/24/2014This was truly a wonderful surprise! The best oysters that I've had in a long time, followed by sashimi style langoustines and a fabulous char. I'd go back for the exact same meal! Including the light and tasty cherry dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service!foodieDined on 8/24/20144 of us had brunch at Sea Change before seeing My Fair Lady at Guthrie and found the food and service to be excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceAnneDined on 8/24/2014Loved it! Food was amazing - brunch. The service was excellent - thanks Jolene! Easy access to the Guthrie. Made for an awesome day. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- TwinTwinDined on 8/23/2014Food presentation was out of this world. Portions perfect not overwhelming. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show brunch or lunchchowdermanDined on 8/23/2014We went for brunch/ lunch prior to a show at the guthrie. The food was fantastic and the bottomless screwdriver was worth the price. The service was attentive and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kinksjjcjDined on 8/22/2014For a high-end restaurant with succulent cuisine, we found it startling that appetizers come in portion of threes . . . .awkward to split as a couple or share as a pair of couples - who dines in threes? Perhaps inside service was good, but we had to get up and steal silverware/napkin from nearby outdoor table and had to ask for bread basket. Minor, perhaps, but for the price and reputation, one expects standards of service.Special Features:
- Amazing!bananagraceDined on 8/21/2014I brought my parents here. They have never been to the Twin Cities before. They are foodies, and I wanted to impress them - Sea Change did just that. The fish was fresh, the preparations were innovative, and the ambiance was a perfect complement to the killer view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before Guthrie playThomasDined on 8/21/2014We've been to Sea Change before so we were familiar with the type of menu. Our server did ask if we were going to a play so we did dine with ample time to spare for the show. The food is definitely oriented to the foodie which is just fine. Presentation and quality were excellent. We were underwhelmed by our server though as we did have an expectation that our empty plates would be cleared in a more timely manner, especially considering the high prices. Perhaps he was a new server? Another person actually served our starters, entrees, and desserts and, was very happy to discuss the ingredients and preparation of the dishes. Ambiance ... Mostly okay although the late afternoon/early evening sunlight was annoying despite the shades.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly wonderful first visitCeciDined on 8/21/2014After making a reservation and later reading many reviews, my husband and I were ready for a so-so evening . We were very surprised at our wonderful experience. Excellent service, unique and creative food, and great restaurant décor. We do not go downtown very often, but are hoping to make an exception by visiting Sea Change once more. Maybe the new chef made some positive changes to the menu !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great family nighthopeDined on 8/20/2014Very attentive to getting to our show on time. Accommodating and helpful. Convenient when attending the Guthrie. A bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Sea ChangetretastebudDined on 8/20/2014Enjoyed Sea Change recently. My entree was delicious. Ordered the ahi tuna with pistachio crust. We were a party of eight. Two others ordered the cod and were disappointed not in the cod but the tomato sauce that covered it. It DID have a odd taste - we couldn't put our taste buds on to the exact flavor. The service was great due to our theatre show times and they were able to put up with a couple of my demanding friends questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBobRDDined on 8/20/2014Menu selection is limited; one salad -- not special, no soup but other appetizers; had difficulty selecting an appealing entree; appeared to be more focused on quirky items and combinations than quality; portion sizes are pitifully small -- 2-1/2 oz fish was undercooked; "sides to share" of succotash was good but enough for 1-1/2 people;"potato salad" poor flavor and appearance; bread was good and desserts appeared to be nice -- the baker is the highlight. Service was good; acknowledged our anniversary with complimentary champagne. We were there 3 years ago and disappointed and now disappointed again.
- Great spot for pre-matinee lunch.Foodie45Dined on 8/20/2014Great table on the back patio. Knowledgeable waiter. Timely service. Excellent food.Special Features:
- Fit only for FoodieslonelybeeteaterDined on 8/19/2014I loved my Hawaiian Poke and Beet salad. But my guests who had more "traditional" tastes were not so impressed with the small portion sizes and unusual offerings. Even I had to admit that the warm bacon/seafood custard was not edible. Fair warning, if you or people you eat with are more about steaks or salads, try the cafe upstairs instead.Special Features:
- Delicious food, crabby server.artsyloverDined on 8/17/2014I chose Sea Change for a special occasion. Instead of selecting a restaurant by review I looked for a chef, hence, I found Jamie Malone-"Best New Chef 2013". The restaurant was nice, quiet after theater guests were off, food was everything we thought it would be and more. Our waitress, however, was having an issue with us coursing out our meals and dining as we like to dine. She wanted us to do it her way and so got off to a bad start and she never recovered. We decided to enjoy ourselves because it was the end of a birthday day full of gifts. I recommend it, maybe you'll get a different server. The rest of the crew was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Evening!fussyfoodieDined on 8/17/2014We attended the Sunday matinee at the Guthrie and had 4:30 dinner reservations...we were seated promptly...Our server was extremely helpful on all our choices. We split the octopus started, which was great. I had the Artic Char & my friend had the potato crusted Cod with the carrots as a side. We easily could have split an entree...but enjoyed tasting each others meals. We liked them both. Had a great bottle of wine, with our servers help. The theater and the restaurant were both at capacity...what a vibrant day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorable foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014The food was very flavorful and the service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Change has changedFood4LandofLoonsDined on 8/16/2014Sea Change is a hidden gem attached to the famous Guthrie Theatre. It is noted for sustainable seafood, but its weekend brunch menu also includes unusual, yet delicious pastrami benedict, vegetable omelets, rhubarb coffee cake and cinnamon pretzel rolls. The service was friendly and quick and the waitress offered to keep leftovers in the bar fridge until after the play. The manager made a point of visiting each table to see how diners were enjoying their choices. Sea Change has a new look and a new chef. Definitely worth dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MPSL's most perfect outdoor diningLuvtodineDined on 8/15/2014After receiving a gift card for Sea Change, my husband and I looked at the menu online and commented that we probably never would have chosen to dine here had we not had the gift card. We could not have been more wrong! We sat outside at a table overlooking the Stone Arch Bridge on a perfect summer evening. The waitress was attentive, helpful and personable. We asked her for her favorites/suggestions (no pressure here from the kitchen) and after studying the menu decided to follow her advice. The food was outstanding! Prepared with unique combinations of flavors and beautiful presentation. We enjoyed 4 courses and each on was unique and delicious! We WILL return!Special Features:
- Great wine and food adviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Celebrated a birthday dinner before the Guthrie Theatre performance. I am not a seafood lover, but the rest of our group of four certainly are. The food was artfully presented and everyone raved about their dishes. My chicken was beautifully presented but just above average for flavor - I wish that there was more selection for those who do not care for seafood (or have an allergy). One in our party is gluten intolerant, and the staff was knowledgeable and attentive in steering her toward dishes that would be appropriate for her. The waiter, Ron, also watched the clock to ensure that we received all of our food before performance time and even offered to hold dessert until after the play.Special Features:
- It has issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The seafood items are all pretty interesting sounding with lots of detail about unusual ways they are prepared. I had the bouillabaisse - not bad but ONE bad mussel kind of ruined the experience. Why can't chefs figure out how to make sure they haven't gone bad? Other than that the service was on the slow side with staff stretched thin before the play at the Guthrie.Special Features:
- abbamybVIPDined on 8/13/2014Interesting menu. Trout was very good. Prepared 2 separate ways. Arctic char perfectly prepared
- Something has changedDisappointedDined on 8/13/2014Our group has dined at Sea Change since the fall of 2013 before the theater. Our last two experiences have been very disappointing both with services and quality of entrees that we have looked forward to. We gave it a second chance since any restaurant can have an off day but we are now looking for a different spot for next season. Our waiters seemed poorly trained and the dishes were not the quality we were used to-over garnished (hamburger with a quarter cup of mayo), over done (grilled cheese) and over salted-greens with omelet.
- Love this place!live2eatDined on 8/12/2014I had pre-musical dinner reservations for five, but, because of traffic, was running late. One of our party arrived early and explained the late issue. The waitperson, funny and personable, - explained she would take care of us so we could have a wonderful meal and still make the play on time. And, she did just that. She recommended delicious cocktails, entrees, wine and desserts: the trout, ahi tuna, skirt steak, monkfish and bouillabaisse - each outstanding. And, because of her efficiency and timing, we didn't feel rushed and made the play with time to spare. I love this place for a number of reasons (the brunch is also well worth the trip).Special Features:
- ludvigson66Dined on 8/12/2014Overall, a very nice dining experience in every respect. Too windy to have dined outdoors, but would have liked that experience. Our seafood dinner was excellent, the portions were not overly large, and would suggest one of the nice appetizers if one is particularly hungry. My martini cocktail was very well prepared and most generous for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suddently Understaffed?FoodfanDined on 8/10/2014Have eaten here several times prior to Guthrie plays. ambience is great and fish is always fresh, flavorful and creative..However this time there were issues. Our oysters and salmon terrine were divine. Our monkfish however arrived cold (comped in part when finally able to bring to waiters attention.) The beet salad (shared) was very small--dont share this! service started out very helpful and then mysteriously, after we had finished placing our order and getting our first courses, no one checked on us until desert menu was presented! We waited about 1/2 hour between salad and entree, which left no time for desert altho the server knew we had play tickets. I can only imagine they must have had a sudden rush and were uderstaffed. But still.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Absolutely beautiful!!!! We had the pleasure of dining here on our wedding night. They made us feel so special and the food was absolutely delicious!! Service was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DINNER BEFORE THE THEATERNo2foofooDined on 8/8/2014We made reservations for dinner at SeaChange and for a play at the Guthrie (Sasha & Vanya and Masha & Spike) to celbrate our 39th anniversary. We were disappointed in the food and the play. The food was mediocre at best. Salad portion size was tiny (a beet salad with a trace of beet), the entree selection of Cod seemed to emphasize presentation and not flavor or tastiness. We left the play at intermission, it simply wasn't funny as promoted. Overall, not a place I would go for dinner again, or the Guthrie for that matter.
- treated as a guestChristineDined on 8/8/2014our server, as seems to be the custom at Sea Change, was very knowledgeable and ready to share ideas about the best dishes and the best pairings with them. we were there pre-theater, so all that he did, he did with an eye to making sure we were not late for the performance upstairsSpecial Features:
- There are other pre-theatre choicesbudnrandyVIPDined on 8/7/2014The space itself is impressive, with grand views of the riverfront. To the server's credit, we did get our courses in a timely fashion - and, the restaurant was relatively busy with the pre-theatre crowd. But, drink orders were missed, refills were tardy - and no beverages offered with dessert. While beautifully presented, the appetizers and entrees were blandly flavored. The only course I'd recommend is dessert - which was a real treat. Skip dinner here; there's other, better choices. Perhaps dessert and coffee after, if you must.Special Features:
- chixDined on 8/5/2014Great time before theatre, but entree a tad bland(arctic char)Special Features:
- Great Find in Downtown MinneapolisTravelingPamDined on 8/4/2014On a local's recommendation I booked a table at Sea Change for 8 for a business dinner. It's in a very nice neighborhood a short walk from the Depot Renaissance. The entire evening was a great experience. Stunning interior, very attentive staff made sure we were well taken care of throughout the meal - never an empty wine glass or bottle and the 1/2 price bottle wine deal was a nice surprise. The menu is limited but each dish was wonderful. Most of my party ordered the fresh oysters from the raw bar (quite tasty) and fish entrees. I've already mentioned it to several colleagues who are also here on business. I'll be back next time I'm here.Special Features:
- Great pre-theater dinng, or anytimeCCfromMNDined on 8/2/2014We ate here to make curtain at the Guthrie, but the food was memorable on its own. The octopus appetizer was terrific, as was the ahi main dish. The lobster appetizer wasn't quite up to that level, but the rest of the food set a high bar. Wonderful interweaving of unusual flavors. The waiter was also particularly good, both with respect to food and wine recommendations and getting us out on time. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousSavvyMomDined on 8/2/2014Please get some 'normal' food on your menu. Even just one pasta item or traditional item. It's very difficult to please multi-generational Guthrie guests with the ridiculously 'inaccessible' food selections. Price was inappropriate for quality & quantity. The staff was incredibly professional, but pretentious. I felt like our server was more important than we were. Finally, the price was ludicrois. Get just 2 regular - "mainstream" items on your menu. You are cashing in on having a captive audience without competition. Be responsible. The decor continues to be one of the more interesting and beautiful restaurants in MSP. The sea theme is gorgeous. There are more food items from the sea serve while still preserving integrity of concept.Special Features:
- Fun Date NightwannabfoodieDined on 8/1/2014We had great starters and fun cocktails at the bar then an amazing dinner in the dining room. Fun atmosphere and fabulous service all around. The staff was very knowledgable about all menu items and we loved everything we ate.Special Features: