806 South Second Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seachangempls.com/
- Phone: (612) 225-6499
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday -Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
Saturday and Sunday Brunch Served 10:00am to 2:00pm
Late night available in the lounge nightly until 11:00pm.
Bar is open following most performances
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Tim McKee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fabulous seafood, crudo, and non-fish items served with panache in a beautiful semi-private setting with views of the Mississippi River.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private dining for up to 50 guests. Available bookings are at 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Scher 6122256470x
- Special Events: For all our theatre-going patrons, be advised to make your dinner plans 1 1/2 - 2 hrs ahead of the curtain to ensure an unrushed dining experience
A word from Sea Change
Renowned Chef Tim McKee, 2009 James Beard award winner for “Best Chef Midwest”, designed the core menu for Sea Change which focuses on sustainable seafood, highlighting fisheries that use environmentally responsible methods of gathering and farming seafood. The menu also includes a number of items under the heading “Not Fish” as well as late night offerings of small plates and raw bar selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sea Change - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Sea Change reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (149)fit for foodies (148)scenic view (104)romantic (73)great for outdoor dining (56)good for groups (46)notable wine list (42)vibrant bar scene (35)neighborhood gem (32)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (24)late-night find (19)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Fabulous in all waysMplsdinerVIPDined on 11/19/2014My two friends and I had a wonderful dinner, 11/19, that exceeded our expectations in all ways. We had a wonderful waiter who was helpful and attentive -- perfect amount of attention. His recommendations were very good for our wine and dinners. A lovely night with good friends from out of town. I will return with others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific serviceBirthdayHostDined on 11/17/2014Everything was first class, including the Fall food selections, the ambiance, and the wine list. But the service was what made the visit especially memorable. It was very attentive but not overbearing. I also thought that the prices were reasonable for the quality and selection of the food. Thank you, Sea Change, for a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our waiter!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014Menu is specific and delicious. We loved the raw bar assortment. Great food and service.Special Features:
- good diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014This is one of the top restaurants in Minneapolis for a quite evening of conversation and delicious food. The only negative is the price.Special Features:
- Great food at exorbitant pricesAfternoonDeliteDined on 11/7/2014Sea Change is a great place to completely empty your wallet. While the food was good, I can't say I'll ever go back. In addition to being one of the most expensive restaurants in town, the place was empty on a Friday night. So, not a very fun atmosphere, either.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperiencefilmclipVIPDined on 11/4/2014What a beautiful room and the staff really takes pride in the excellence of the place. Very small menu which was a challenge for a fussy eater but we made it work and completely enjoyed our meal. I found the salmon terrine way too rich and quite bland but the bread basket, entrees and whimsical dessert were beautifully executed. A delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2014What a fine meal we had! My favorites were the tuna and monkfish. The octopus was cooked perfectly, but the sauce was just a tad too sweet, but still delicious. The uni was great too, but the toast it was served on was soaked in so much oil (or butter?) that it overpowered the flavor of the sea urchin. I just ate the sea urchin without the bread and it was much better. Our server and front of house manager made excellent recommendations for wine pairings. I had one cocktail, Autumn Breeze. Even before my ice melted the drink was a bit watery tasting so it definitely could have used a little more rye. Overall though, a great experience!Special Features:
- Sea Change DelightsFoodiesx2Dined on 10/26/2014The dining room is lovely-- light and airy, done in soft shades of green. Our server was attentive without being intrusive. Every dish delighted. For appetizers we had the Ahi Poke, the Scallops, and the parsnip soup. For entrees we had the monkfish and the arctic char. Everything was super fresh and beautifully prepared. Even our wines by the glass were delicious. My only teensy complaint is the lack of a gluten free dessert other than sorbet. But we went next door to the Guthrie Theater gift shop, got a B.T. McElrath chocolate bar, and we were quite satisfied.Special Features:
- Food and serviceSandySDined on 10/26/2014The Sunday brunch menu was small. I had the salmon tartine which was excellent. My dining companion is a vegetarian. The menu was a bit short of vegetarian options. Even the egg dish had to have ingredients removed to be vegetarian. Service was excellent and nice quiet atmosphere. Great place to talk during brunch because there was no loud obnoxious music playing.Special Features:
- JaneyVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great dinner! Great service! Sea Change is a vibrant, sophisticated dining experience!Special Features:
- Wonderful brunchMimiDined on 10/25/2014Enjoyed the bottomless mimosas. We each had a different item and finished it all. Great service. they didn't rush us, but we didn't have to wait for the check,. At some restaurants you wait longer for the check, than you do for your food.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceJOC26Dined on 10/19/2014The perfect choice for dinner before attending a performance at the Guthrie Theatre. Although the menu is limited, all the selections made by our group were delicious; loved the monk fish! The atmosphere is definitely up-market and perfect for a special occasion. Wait staff were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just amazing!gutherie47Dined on 10/16/2014Our second visit to Sea Change....table 104 with Jonathan. What a difference a knowledgeable server means. We have now tried several menu items that we had never even heard of because of his recommendations. Loved the Dogfish, the Char, the Octopus, and the deconstructed desserts. Jonathan also introduced me to a new Utah bourbon. Quite the dining experience. Recommendations....please stock Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select.....and please add another Zinfandel to your red wine selections. And please teach the bartenders how to be Minnesota nice and not military brusque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantabulous experienceHuntin4FunDined on 10/15/2014A party in my Mouth. food presentation was spectacular, great textures and tastes, explored new flavor experiences. wonderful time. highly recommend for any foodie with an unlimited budget. Service was great, very knowledgeable about menu options and made great suggestions. A Prestige dinning experience, if you can afford to go, you've arrived:)Special Features:
- Wonderful pre-theater findebs1Dined on 10/15/2014Excellent service. Our waiter was willing to explain and describe all of the options. The entree sizes were very satisfying. The soup appetizer was a small portion, but well served and tasty. An excellent choice.Special Features:
- Relaxing2atelikepigsDined on 10/12/2014We had a relaxed, delicious dinner at the Sea Change at the Guthrie - everything was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef, outstanding on all fronts612WhereAreYouVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always love the atmosphere at the raw bar, and thought we'd give the new menu and chef a shot. We were not disappointed. The food was great as usual. What seemed like minor tweaks to some classics made them even more delicious. The Octopus was better than ever. Salmon terrine was delicious. Duck confit special was amazing. Outer entrées, artic char and ah tuna, we're nailed. Loved every aspect of the new menu. Great stuff going on here...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- matinee lunchpattypieableDined on 10/8/2014We were the first small group to arrive for the pre-matinee lunch - service was uneven, understandable as the dining room filled, but still not to our liking. We got no refills on water. Food was okay but not worth the price, we thought. I got the bouillabaise - liked it better last time I had it there. (and I love bouillabaise - this time it was too tomatoey).Special Features:
- pre-theater diningd5david5Dined on 10/5/2014They made sure they knew we were going to see a show at 7pm on Sunday. Service was excellent and didn't feel rushed despite the tight schedule. Had the octopus appetizer and trout main course. Both were outstanding. Was tempted to have seconds of both, but saved room for the chocolate ganache dessert. It was worth the sacrifice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesaliMDined on 10/4/2014Every time I go hereI come away thinking why do I bother going to anyplace else. The service is THE BEST. The food is outstanding (especially the octopus). the setting on the Mississippi is very romantic and beautiful any time of year. Go there!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014My tuna tartare was wonderful, but grilled octopus was tough and covered with off-putting sweet sauce. Loved dessert and service was very attentive and helpful. Good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Another Fabulous Dinnercookielady47Dined on 9/30/2014We always have a wonderful dinner here before attending the Guthrie. This time was the best. The manager met us, brought us to our table and introduced us to our server. She remembered us and told us how excited she was to be our server again. She answered all our questions we had about special ingredients in our salads. She was prompt in getting us our bill so we wouldn't be late for the performance. We told her we would be requesting her the next time we come. The food was excellent as always.Special Features:
- Great Sunday evening choiceSprindle1Dined on 9/28/2014My husband and I took my mother here for an adventurous Sunday dinner, and we found a total gem. To start, the seaweed salad that accompanies the tuna poke is some of the best I have had. Great raw oyster selection with the most unique way of serving "sauces" that I have seen. The grilled octopus is a must-if you have never tried it, this will surprise you! My mom could not get enough of her monkfish entrée, the porcini crusted tuna is heaven, the mushrooms and salsify are prepared in a multitude of ways- each is outstanding and for a non- red meat centric menu, my husband devoured his skirt steak. My only regret is that I waited so long to make my first reservation. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencediner1965Dined on 9/27/2014Seachange is always excellent. The food is delicious, the service is superb, and great dining environment. A place where you cannot only have great food, but also talk without yelling. We want with our two kids to celebrate a birthday and we all had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed Needed at Sea Change!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014If you are a James Beard winner and open a seafood restaurant, the seafood should be phenomenal or at least very good. I was very disappointed in the extremely bland monk fish and over cooked cod. The octopus appetizer was perhaps the only good thing we ate this evening but it too was not exceptional. We just returned from Paris and western France where the seafood at almost every restaurant we visited was so far superior, it's a shame we can't have the same seafood dining experience in Minnesota. I urge Tim to go back and rework these dishes or come up with new ones.Special Features:
- Beautiful Inside and Out!samlongchefDined on 9/27/2014We dined outside on the terrace overlooking the Mississippi in the afternoon, at brunchtime, and enjoyed the fall weather, the ambiance, the service, and the perfect food. The inside looked chic, sleek, and stunning, and would be a beautiful evening spot, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchotterloopDined on 9/27/2014We went for brunch before the matinee at the Guthrie. Both the egg benedicts were magnificent--the pastrami benedict with a zippy harissa hollandaise was the best I've ever had. The crabcake benedict has an Old Bay hollandaise which complements it beautifully, and the eggs were perfectly poached. Service was smooth and professional. We love dining at Sea Change before the show!Special Features:
- Post-Proposal DinnerFahneselDined on 9/26/2014I proposed to my girlfriend on friday at the Guthrie and had a table for us that night at 7 pm. The staff were excited to see us and were very courteous to giving us the best view of the river on the patio! Dinner was amazing from the meal, our drinks and our service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before performance dinnerBillDined on 9/25/2014A great restaurant before a Guthrie show. Excellent seervice, perfect portion control so you're not stuffed, and attentive service personnel
- Sea Change - No MoreInterestingVIPDined on 9/25/2014It was a birthday celebration, which including the theatre. While I have dined at the restaurant several times, my mother, who was my guest, had not and she was very excited. Regretfully, I do not recall our servers name, but I think it was Brad he made the dinner experience worthwhile. However, the food continues to be a huge challenge I have with the beautiful space, and agreeable location called Sea Change. In addition, the lack of creative of the entrees, as well as price point isn’t worth it in comparison to Oceanaire, and even McCormick and Schmick’s. Disappointing to walk away after $106.00, and enjoy only the Smoked Terrine, and the Vinegar Roasted Beets.
- 5 STARS!!CoolloonDined on 9/18/2014See my 5 star rating and review at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g43323-d616513-r229861602-Sea_Change-Minneapolis_Minnesota.htmlSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea change has changedXTRATasty1Dined on 9/14/2014Service was excellent. Menu had fewer selections. Bouillabaisse had a rich broth but very little seafood in it. Expensive. I miss the prixe fixe menu selections. The restaurant is convenient to Gutherie but not sure we will go to Sea Change again.Special Features:
- The food was amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014The food was amazing!!! The recommendations if our server were great, she knew her stuff! The drink was good as well, however not $16 worth....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unsatisfiedughaDined on 9/12/2014Our party left feeling hungry. nice atmosphere. We ate there because it was near the theater.left hungry. Expensive and small portions. Presentation of food was pretty.Special Features:
- IncredibleGourmetDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant is definitely a notch above the rest. I went there for the sea food experience, and it was incredible. I know they also have other items on their menu but I have not tried those. I had the Hawaiien raw tuna as an appetizer, followed by the bouillabaisse. Both were delicate and flavorful, well presented, each bite was perfect. The desserts that followed were also truly exceptional in their composition, presentation, and taste. I DEFINITELY recommend this place. The service was also very friendly and professional. I was there for lunch on a Friday, so it was not so busy and the staff had time for special touches (it was my birthday) and the noise level was very low. Overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Bread to die forFoodLoverDined on 9/11/2014The breadbasket was so exceptional. There were 3 amazing breads. The sourdough bread was my favorite, followed closely by the beer/rye conical-shaped roll with caraway. The third was a bread with corn and zucchini in it. Although it was my least favorite of the three, it would put the bread in almost any other restaurant in the Twin Cities to shame. The service and presentation were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well deserved reputationMplsBeerLoverDined on 9/10/2014I'm not a huge seafood enthusiast. I enjoy it, but it's not what I'm most interested in when I go out for fine dining. As a result, I am neither a good nor experienced judge of a fish entrée. I had the tuna and my wife ordered the Arctic Char. I would have preferred the latter, although both were good. Too many mushrooms and mushroom flavors with the Tuna for my taste. Portions were modest. The appetizer we ordered - some kind of bacon, scallop, lobster custard - was very good, but tiny. The service and atmosphere were outstanding!Special Features:
- surprising menu, confused servicethekakesVIPDined on 9/10/2014the menu is fresh, creative, surprising, and playful. the way in which the chef blends euro and asian (especially japanese) technique is different, amusing, and delightful. the uni starter course, the custards, and the ahi tuna were all highly memorable. i felt tickled by them all. however, the service was all over the map. our head waiter was smart, thoughtful, interactive, and had lots of interesting things to say about the food. however, his "helpers" made many gaffes. as so often happens in american restaurants, our first course plates were nearly yanked from us mid-bite. also, our main course was brought to us about 2 minutes after our second course had arrived and we had barely had a chance to taste it. midwestern innocence, i guess?Special Features:
- Patio dining at the GuthriePattyVIPDined on 9/7/2014A beautiful September evening on the patio of the Guthrie ... four friends and a lovely dinner. The menu is limited and if you're picky you might have trouble finding something you like. Fortunately, we all enjoyed our fish (they do offer other-than-fish). Strangely, when I made an Open Table reservation, they offered almost no time slots, and not the one I wanted, so we ended up going very early. However, when we were there, the place was sparsely populated and there would have been no trouble getting us in at the time we wanted. I love Open Table, so I hate to say call the restaurant if you can't get in when you want, but it's possible they offer very few slots on Open Table.Special Features:
- DelicioustylerDined on 9/7/2014Amazing seafood. Super fresh! Had some of the best Oysters I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.