806 South Second Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seachangempls.com/
- Phone: 6122256499x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday -Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
Saturday and Sunday Brunch Served 10:00am to 2:00pm
Late night available in the lounge nightly until 11:00pm.
Bar is open following most performances
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Tim McKee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fabulous seafood, crudo, and non-fish items served with panache in a beautiful semi-private setting with views of the Mississippi River.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private dining for up to 50 guests. Available bookings are at 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Scher 6122256470x
- Special Events: For all our theatre-going patrons, be advised to make your dinner plans 1 1/2 - 2 hrs ahead of the curtain to ensure an unrushed dining experience
A word from Sea Change
Renowned Chef Tim McKee, 2009 James Beard award winner for “Best Chef Midwest”, designed the core menu for Sea Change which focuses on sustainable seafood, highlighting fisheries that use environmentally responsible methods of gathering and farming seafood. The menu also includes a number of items under the heading “Not Fish” as well as late night offerings of small plates and raw bar selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sea Change - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Sea Change reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (177)fit for foodies (167)scenic view (141)romantic (92)great for outdoor dining (85)notable wine list (48)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (41)neighborhood gem (35)late-night find (29)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (24)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014The perfect choice for dinner before attending a performance at the Guthrie Theatre. Although the menu is limited, all the selections made by our group were delicious; loved the monk fish! The atmosphere is definitely up-market and perfect for a special occasion. Wait staff were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Our second visit to Sea Change....table 104 with Jonathan. What a difference a knowledgeable server means. We have now tried several menu items that we had never even heard of because of his recommendations. Loved the Dogfish, the Char, the Octopus, and the deconstructed desserts. Jonathan also introduced me to a new Utah bourbon. Quite the dining experience. Recommendations....please stock Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select.....and please add another Zinfandel to your red wine selections. And please teach the bartenders how to be Minnesota nice and not military brusque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantabulous experienceHuntin4FunDined on 10/15/2014A party in my Mouth. food presentation was spectacular, great textures and tastes, explored new flavor experiences. wonderful time. highly recommend for any foodie with an unlimited budget. Service was great, very knowledgeable about menu options and made great suggestions. A Prestige dinning experience, if you can afford to go, you've arrived:)Special Features:
- Wonderful pre-theater findebs1Dined on 10/15/2014Excellent service. Our waiter was willing to explain and describe all of the options. The entree sizes were very satisfying. The soup appetizer was a small portion, but well served and tasty. An excellent choice.Special Features:
- Relaxing2atelikepigsDined on 10/12/2014We had a relaxed, delicious dinner at the Sea Change at the Guthrie - everything was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef, outstanding on all fronts612WhereAreYouVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always love the atmosphere at the raw bar, and thought we'd give the new menu and chef a shot. We were not disappointed. The food was great as usual. What seemed like minor tweaks to some classics made them even more delicious. The Octopus was better than ever. Salmon terrine was delicious. Duck confit special was amazing. Outer entrées, artic char and ah tuna, we're nailed. Loved every aspect of the new menu. Great stuff going on here...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- matinee lunchpattypieableDined on 10/8/2014We were the first small group to arrive for the pre-matinee lunch - service was uneven, understandable as the dining room filled, but still not to our liking. We got no refills on water. Food was okay but not worth the price, we thought. I got the bouillabaise - liked it better last time I had it there. (and I love bouillabaise - this time it was too tomatoey).Special Features:
- pre-theater diningd5david5Dined on 10/5/2014They made sure they knew we were going to see a show at 7pm on Sunday. Service was excellent and didn't feel rushed despite the tight schedule. Had the octopus appetizer and trout main course. Both were outstanding. Was tempted to have seconds of both, but saved room for the chocolate ganache dessert. It was worth the sacrifice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesaliMDined on 10/4/2014Every time I go hereI come away thinking why do I bother going to anyplace else. The service is THE BEST. The food is outstanding (especially the octopus). the setting on the Mississippi is very romantic and beautiful any time of year. Go there!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014My tuna tartare was wonderful, but grilled octopus was tough and covered with off-putting sweet sauce. Loved dessert and service was very attentive and helpful. Good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Another Fabulous Dinnercookielady47Dined on 9/30/2014We always have a wonderful dinner here before attending the Guthrie. This time was the best. The manager met us, brought us to our table and introduced us to our server. She remembered us and told us how excited she was to be our server again. She answered all our questions we had about special ingredients in our salads. She was prompt in getting us our bill so we wouldn't be late for the performance. We told her we would be requesting her the next time we come. The food was excellent as always.Special Features:
- Great Sunday evening choiceSprindle1Dined on 9/28/2014My husband and I took my mother here for an adventurous Sunday dinner, and we found a total gem. To start, the seaweed salad that accompanies the tuna poke is some of the best I have had. Great raw oyster selection with the most unique way of serving "sauces" that I have seen. The grilled octopus is a must-if you have never tried it, this will surprise you! My mom could not get enough of her monkfish entrée, the porcini crusted tuna is heaven, the mushrooms and salsify are prepared in a multitude of ways- each is outstanding and for a non- red meat centric menu, my husband devoured his skirt steak. My only regret is that I waited so long to make my first reservation. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencediner1965Dined on 9/27/2014Seachange is always excellent. The food is delicious, the service is superb, and great dining environment. A place where you cannot only have great food, but also talk without yelling. We want with our two kids to celebrate a birthday and we all had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed Needed at Sea Change!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014If you are a James Beard winner and open a seafood restaurant, the seafood should be phenomenal or at least very good. I was very disappointed in the extremely bland monk fish and over cooked cod. The octopus appetizer was perhaps the only good thing we ate this evening but it too was not exceptional. We just returned from Paris and western France where the seafood at almost every restaurant we visited was so far superior, it's a shame we can't have the same seafood dining experience in Minnesota. I urge Tim to go back and rework these dishes or come up with new ones.Special Features:
- Beautiful Inside and Out!samlongchefDined on 9/27/2014We dined outside on the terrace overlooking the Mississippi in the afternoon, at brunchtime, and enjoyed the fall weather, the ambiance, the service, and the perfect food. The inside looked chic, sleek, and stunning, and would be a beautiful evening spot, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchotterloopDined on 9/27/2014We went for brunch before the matinee at the Guthrie. Both the egg benedicts were magnificent--the pastrami benedict with a zippy harissa hollandaise was the best I've ever had. The crabcake benedict has an Old Bay hollandaise which complements it beautifully, and the eggs were perfectly poached. Service was smooth and professional. We love dining at Sea Change before the show!Special Features:
- Post-Proposal DinnerFahneselDined on 9/26/2014I proposed to my girlfriend on friday at the Guthrie and had a table for us that night at 7 pm. The staff were excited to see us and were very courteous to giving us the best view of the river on the patio! Dinner was amazing from the meal, our drinks and our service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before performance dinnerBillDined on 9/25/2014A great restaurant before a Guthrie show. Excellent seervice, perfect portion control so you're not stuffed, and attentive service personnel
- Sea Change - No MoreInterestingVIPDined on 9/25/2014It was a birthday celebration, which including the theatre. While I have dined at the restaurant several times, my mother, who was my guest, had not and she was very excited. Regretfully, I do not recall our servers name, but I think it was Brad he made the dinner experience worthwhile. However, the food continues to be a huge challenge I have with the beautiful space, and agreeable location called Sea Change. In addition, the lack of creative of the entrees, as well as price point isn’t worth it in comparison to Oceanaire, and even McCormick and Schmick’s. Disappointing to walk away after $106.00, and enjoy only the Smoked Terrine, and the Vinegar Roasted Beets.
- 5 STARS!!CoolloonDined on 9/18/2014See my 5 star rating and review at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g43323-d616513-r229861602-Sea_Change-Minneapolis_Minnesota.htmlSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea change has changedXTRATasty1Dined on 9/14/2014Service was excellent. Menu had fewer selections. Bouillabaisse had a rich broth but very little seafood in it. Expensive. I miss the prixe fixe menu selections. The restaurant is convenient to Gutherie but not sure we will go to Sea Change again.Special Features:
- The food was amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014The food was amazing!!! The recommendations if our server were great, she knew her stuff! The drink was good as well, however not $16 worth....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unsatisfiedughaDined on 9/12/2014Our party left feeling hungry. nice atmosphere. We ate there because it was near the theater.left hungry. Expensive and small portions. Presentation of food was pretty.Special Features:
- IncredibleGourmetDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant is definitely a notch above the rest. I went there for the sea food experience, and it was incredible. I know they also have other items on their menu but I have not tried those. I had the Hawaiien raw tuna as an appetizer, followed by the bouillabaisse. Both were delicate and flavorful, well presented, each bite was perfect. The desserts that followed were also truly exceptional in their composition, presentation, and taste. I DEFINITELY recommend this place. The service was also very friendly and professional. I was there for lunch on a Friday, so it was not so busy and the staff had time for special touches (it was my birthday) and the noise level was very low. Overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Bread to die forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014The breadbasket was so exceptional. There were 3 amazing breads. The sourdough bread was my favorite, followed closely by the beer/rye conical-shaped roll with caraway. The third was a bread with corn and zucchini in it. Although it was my least favorite of the three, it would put the bread in almost any other restaurant in the Twin Cities to shame. The service and presentation were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well deserved reputationMplsBeerLoverDined on 9/10/2014I'm not a huge seafood enthusiast. I enjoy it, but it's not what I'm most interested in when I go out for fine dining. As a result, I am neither a good nor experienced judge of a fish entrée. I had the tuna and my wife ordered the Arctic Char. I would have preferred the latter, although both were good. Too many mushrooms and mushroom flavors with the Tuna for my taste. Portions were modest. The appetizer we ordered - some kind of bacon, scallop, lobster custard - was very good, but tiny. The service and atmosphere were outstanding!Special Features:
- surprising menu, confused servicethekakesVIPDined on 9/10/2014the menu is fresh, creative, surprising, and playful. the way in which the chef blends euro and asian (especially japanese) technique is different, amusing, and delightful. the uni starter course, the custards, and the ahi tuna were all highly memorable. i felt tickled by them all. however, the service was all over the map. our head waiter was smart, thoughtful, interactive, and had lots of interesting things to say about the food. however, his "helpers" made many gaffes. as so often happens in american restaurants, our first course plates were nearly yanked from us mid-bite. also, our main course was brought to us about 2 minutes after our second course had arrived and we had barely had a chance to taste it. midwestern innocence, i guess?Special Features:
- Patio dining at the GuthriePattyDined on 9/7/2014A beautiful September evening on the patio of the Guthrie ... four friends and a lovely dinner. The menu is limited and if you're picky you might have trouble finding something you like. Fortunately, we all enjoyed our fish (they do offer other-than-fish). Strangely, when I made an Open Table reservation, they offered almost no time slots, and not the one I wanted, so we ended up going very early. However, when we were there, the place was sparsely populated and there would have been no trouble getting us in at the time we wanted. I love Open Table, so I hate to say call the restaurant if you can't get in when you want, but it's possible they offer very few slots on Open Table.Special Features:
- DelicioustylerDined on 9/7/2014Amazing seafood. Super fresh! Had some of the best Oysters I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemBobsDined on 9/6/2014The menu is imaginative and a seafood lovers delight. From the wide selection of fresh oysters to the fresh fish and perfect seasonings this is a real gem of a find. Also, even if you are not normally a dessert fan, like me, try the desserts and you won't be disappointed. The portions are not large so take that into consideration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a rare treatEpicuriousDined on 9/5/2014The food was generally great, but particularly for the price, I have to say that the portions are almost disappointingly small. The waiter did warn us about that in a round-about sort of way, and said that they designed their menu for each diner to order 3 courses (he didn't indicate that was so the diner would not leave hungry). However with 3 courses, you're looking at $85 - $100/person, before any adult beverages or dessert. There was also a general consensus at our table that the food was on the salty side. I think of myself as someone who enjoys a heavier than average salt content, but this was almost a challenge for me. Given the price and the saltiness, it might be difficult to eat here more than once a year.Special Features:
- Before theater diningKMMMDined on 8/31/2014Had tickets to the Guthrie, extremely convenient for a pre show dinner. Very busy pre show, service suffered due to that. Limited menu. Fish stew was OK, broth was very strongly flavored overpowering the seafood. Bread and dessert were very good. Would return if attending the theater, but otherwise would not.Special Features:
- Before the showMarieDined on 8/30/2014Excellent service by the host, waitress, and bus person.Special Features:
- Brunch2014celebrateDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed the Sea Change brunch which included the excellent menu choices, the excellent advise we received from our waitress regarding the menu items and the suggestion to split the entrees. The food was excellent and served in a timely manner allowing us to attend the play at Guthrie in plenty of time. It was an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not have better experience!DestinyDined on 8/28/20146 multi generational family members out for birthday... 1st seating after theater goers leave (7:30), so quiet surroundings. Our server was so attentive, described everything lovingly, enjoyed us enjoying ourselves. Food here is always great (menu smaller b/c only use sustainably certified seafood), inventively paired, great melding of flavors ... very easy to explore. But again, the care and oversight provided throughout the service was of a type that has almost no peer these days. I thanked the manager (who was also quite lovely, clearly he sets the stage by which the staff operates as a team), and am posting this in part to thank the restaurant again. Best 2.5 hours in restaurant in recent memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!HappyMotherDined on 8/28/2014Food was divine, service was excellent and it was a perfect beginning for My Fair Lady!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly executed!LovejoyeatsoutDined on 8/24/2014This was truly a wonderful surprise! The best oysters that I've had in a long time, followed by sashimi style langoustines and a fabulous char. I'd go back for the exact same meal! Including the light and tasty cherry dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service!foodieDined on 8/24/20144 of us had brunch at Sea Change before seeing My Fair Lady at Guthrie and found the food and service to be excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceAnneDined on 8/24/2014Loved it! Food was amazing - brunch. The service was excellent - thanks Jolene! Easy access to the Guthrie. Made for an awesome day. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- TwinTwinDined on 8/23/2014Food presentation was out of this world. Portions perfect not overwhelming. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.