102 Main Street
Greenport, NY 11944Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.scrimshawrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6314778882
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday - Monday: 1:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Off Season: Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 1:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Rosa Ross
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
- Private Party Facilities: Now offering on or off-premise catering
- Private Party Contact: Rosa Ross 6314778882
A word from Scrimshaw Restaurant
Scrimshaw is uniquely situated in historic wharf buildings right on the water in the Village of Greenport, New York. The restaurant setting reflects the history of the whaling ships that sailed from this port in the early years of the 20th century. Scrimshaw's dining room offers water views on three sides and open-air dining on the dock. Enjoy drinks in comfortable Adirondack chairs outdoors or in the bar room with windows that look out on a Greenport boatyard. Although the cuisine is contemporary American, the chef's Asian and international background is reflected in many dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Scrimshaw Restaurant - Best Restaurants in North Fork ›
Scrimshaw Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (19)scenic view (18)fit for foodies (14)romantic (13)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (3)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A bit off the beaten pathFrednycVIPDined on 8/26/2014It was a lovely night and wanted to eat on the water. The reviews were a bit uncertain but we decided to go. The view was great but once the sun went down all on the deck went inside - it was just too windy. The dining room looked uninviting when the sun was up but it became much more appealing, even romantic, once the sun set. It feels like you are on a ship. The food - well is was wonderful. We had the Asian influenced seafood stee and it was excellent. So were our apps. You will not be disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well runOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Fantastic outdoor seating. Well prepared food. Friendly professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last Dinner at ScrimshawscrimshawDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had 8 pm dinner reservations on Saturday night, were seated promptly, and waited 20 minutes for a waitress to bring drinks. We ordered our meals, and waited an additional 40 minutes for the appetizers, and another half hour or so for the meal. The portions were small, and we were starving, wanted to order something additional but did not because the wait time was extensive. Also ordered a 2nd glass of soda, which never arrived. Will never go back. We left starving and could not decide if we should go eat somewhere or just go home. The evening was ruined. And it was a waste of money. Claudios is a far better option up the street. Jon
- Very good except portion sizepittstownDined on 8/8/2014The food was very good, dining outside on the dock was very pleasant. I just have one complaint. Three (3!) scallops is _not_ an entrée, it's an appetizer, and especially when its priced $34 I feel its overpriced.Special Features:
- Beautiful spot in GreenportScottVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a lovely lunch at Scrimshaw on a rainy summer day. Arriving for an early lunch, we had the restaurant completely to ourselves. We sat at a table with beautiful water views on all sides. My companion started the meal with a seafood soup that he related was rich and delicious and an oyster po'boy for an entree which i tasted and the oysters were crispy and delicious. My entree was a fresh smoked salmon blt on a nice baguette with fresh cole slaw. We will definitely go back to Scrimshaw.Special Features:
- By The SeavleeckerDined on 7/27/2014Scrimshaw offers top quality dining in a quirky setting. Sitting on the dock of the bay, leisurely eating a delicious meal with easy-going companions, is my idea of perfect entertainment. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all aroundJojoDined on 7/26/2014Everything was great about this restaurant. My wife was talking about how much she loved the lobster for two days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dock side diningDavidVIPDined on 7/18/2014In historic Greenport, the great setting and asain influenced food outway the inexperienced staff. Dumplings and beet salad great. My pork-belly delicious. Get there for sunset.Special Features:
- a let down from last timejustmeDined on 7/6/2014This was our third visit to Scrimshaw. We were looking forward to wrapping up the holiday weekend by enjoying a great meal out on the deck. The food was very good. I had the ceviche appetizer and jerk chicken entree while my wife had a salad and the pork. Both meals were well portioned and tasty. The problem was the wait staff was, let's say, disinterested. Our waiter seemed to be sleep walking through his shift and the hostess, while friendly, didn't add much.Special Features:
- Service issuesluv2eatoutDined on 7/5/2014Service was very slow and not very attentive. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected findIluvfoodVIPDined on 7/3/2014I enjoyed my dishes whereas my husband did not-- I think he was put off though by our waiter, who was not very knowledgeable about the menu. Highly recommend the chowder, and it's great for outdoor dining, as well as for a different type of menu than you'd expect in Greenport. For the prices they're charging though, the waiters should have expert knowledge of the dishes. Overall, I'd give it a second try.Special Features:
- Restaurant was closednycdinerVIPDined on 6/25/2014I made a reservation via open table for a Wednesday evening but when we got there (with a hungry toddler) the restaurant was closed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 135 reviews are from the Scrimshaw Restaurant reviews archive.
- so comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/13/2014Rosa is an absolutely wonderful host, an incredible chef and an all round warm and loving person. Get to know this gem of a restaurant, it is so worth it. Dumplings are incredible, chowder will bring a glow to your heart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningNJBobDined on 3/28/2014Great food, outstanding service - attentive but not intrusive, and you can't beat the view of the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiancezrow2kDined on 2/22/2014This place is a great little retreat, on the side of the main road on top of a dock. We had our anniversary dinner here. Food was great with one small mistake, both the duck breast and steak were undercooked. However it was of high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day had a priceRobearDined on 2/14/2014Valentine's Day had a price fix which is great idea. However, the qty of food was scant. Everything was tasty except the olive oil served with sliced bread (only 2 small pieces each) tasted quite off! We weren't sure if it was old or a lower quality of olive oil.Special Features:
- The restaurant has a casual,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The restaurant has a casual, upscale appearance with a great scenic view of Greenpaort Harbor Perfect nautical ambience appeals to both couples seeking a romantic atmosphere and family gatherings Our prix fixe Valentines Day dinner was beautifully prepared and there was more than enough to share. Will return whenever we can.Special Features:
- Good Chinese MenuAntoineDined on 1/31/2014Portions are very small and the prices very high. Beautiful view and good Chinese menu, especially for the Lunar New Year.Special Features:
- I would not recommend thisJNS17VIPDined on 12/24/2013I would not recommend this restaurant. My husband and I were in Greenport on Chritsmas Eve and wanted to have a delicious Christmas Eve dinner. The Scrimshaw was not our first choice, but it was the only restaurant open in the town. I ordered the sweet potato gnocchi appetizer. The gnocchi was mushy and just floating in unseasoned butter. As an entree, I ordered the monkfish. It was overcooked. My husband's food was completely underseasoned. His seafood chowder had no seafood - just potatoes. In addition, the menu was completely overpriced for the portion sizes and quality we received. The only bright spots were that the service - both at the bar and at the dinner table - was excellent and the waterfront location is beautiful.
- Went for Thanksgiving!GetMeOnTopVIPDined on 11/28/2013Buffet dinner with large choice of food, suer moist turkey, multiple stuffing chooses. Very much enjoyed and will bne returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They wanted to closeWillyVIPDined on 9/29/2013We arrived for our 7 pm reservation and were promptly told they were staying open just for us. We felt unwanted. The wait staff were great , food lacked seasoning but dumplings were great. The owner needs to learn how to be friendlySpecial Features:
- outstandingluv2eatVIPDined on 9/28/2013We had a fantastic meal. We forgot to order the dumplings, so we'll go back to try them and some of the other dishes. The lobster tails were perfect and the duck was excellent. We had the bread pudding(yum) and the berry tart, which tasted like home-made. The staff was friendly and eager to please. We had a nice romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/1/2013Terrible. Please do yourself a favor and don't go here. I would give it no stars if I could. We went here for dinner as a party of 5. It was close to empty - we should have taken the hint. The service was terrible, the food even worse, if that's possible (the service really was that bad - when my father's dinner came out 10 minutes after everyone else's food, the unapologetic and very uncaring waiter told us the food runner was busy talking on his cellphone - WHAT?). Bland, boring, but expensive nonetheless! Dinner was $300 and was the quality you'd expect to find at a mediocre diner.
- Nice place. Food is nothingGenatDined on 9/1/2013Nice place. Food is nothing too special, good quality but not all that spectacular. A bit overpriced of course. Get a table outside - that is the best and that is what you would be paying forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forget it for lunchJupiterDined on 8/10/2013Limited menu. Fish tacos with tilapia...we're on Long Island With tons of fresh fish. Asked to substitute Fresh local fish and there was a $10 up charge! First $25 taco I've eaten. Skip this place.Special Features:
- On the Water in GreenportOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2013The setting is wonderful. Attractive restaurant with a wharf extending out on which there are tables too. Waitstaff is very attentive. Dinner was good - not outstanding but very good, especially for Greenport. It's a bit expensive for what it is but you can't beat the setting.Special Features:
- Room for improvementCTyankeeDined on 7/27/2013Fantastic setting on the harbor in Greenport, with a good menu. The dining experience could have been greatly improved with more attention to detail. The canvas director's chairs for the outdoor tables are completely the wrong height for the tables, and the enameled metal tables themselves look like they resist being cleaned. Service was mediocre, with dishes delivered to the wrong tables and simple requests ignored or forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a place for steak lovers...PickydinerDined on 7/27/2013For the last three summers my husband and I have enjoyed amazing food and service at Scrimshaw. This Saturday we hosted a couple and was incredibly disappointed by the service and the Angus steak entrees. Our table ordered a bottle of wine for the table appetizers; squash blossoms, green salad, clam chowder and the steamed dumpling which were all delicious. However, the two angus steak entrees for the gentlemen in our party, were requested as "medium, rare" and arrived "well". Needless to say all were gracious but it was too late in the day to send it back for correction. The ladies meals were perfect; sea scallops and a Hong Kong style bouillabaisse. The desserts of cheesecake, tarts and flourless cake were all delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice findBC2eatDined on 7/18/2013The food was excellent especially the special Macau dish. Waiter was adorable and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous sitting on the dockOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2013The cuisine is just OK - nothing to write home about - but they gave us a table outside and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- DisconnectDavidVIPDined on 7/5/2013As good as the food was is how poor the service was. A very young and unsupervised staff. The food however was excellent, especially chinese steamed dumplings and fresh striped basss. The beet salad we had and scallops were also very good. Best to sit out on the back dock. The beautiful mastheads that decorate the restaurant are worth a visit alone.Special Features:
- What a view!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2013Great waterside dining out on Preston's dock! If you like to eat near the water can't get much better then out in the dock. Food was very good and service very good as well. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2013I made a reservation here because of it's Zagat's review. The worst mistake ever. The place was empty on a Saturday night, It must have been the waitress's first day as a server because she couldn't answer any questions about the menu. She even forgot to put in one of our orders so by the time the dinner came out everyone else was just about done. The food itself wasn't very good either especially considering the price. We couldn't get out of there quick enough. Do yourself a favor, don't waste your time or money eating at this place.
- We had three nights in townBraggHouseVIPDined on 5/25/2013We had three nights in town and would have to vote Frisky Oyster our fav, followed by Noahs and then Scrimshaw. Food was OK, but none of it life changingly good, service welcoming but not polished at all. Was excited for the housemade dumplings but found filling to be dry, no dessert menu and items not suggestively sold. Good wine list.
- We went for lunch over theMouse11930Dined on 3/23/2013We went for lunch over the weekend. They were out of several items on the menu which left a very limited selection. The fish tacos were good, but the fish was tilapia which had no taste at all. You would think being on the most eastern end of Long Island they would have had a fresh and flavorful local fish. The prices were very expensive. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- This was my first time here,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013This was my first time here, and I was happy to learn that it was as good as I'd been told it would be. Beautifully prepared and presented.Special Features:
- Celebrated birthdays withOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/8/2013Celebrated birthdays with great friends..Rosa never disappoints! Excellent from beginning to end!Perfect winter spot for dining and even better in the summer...one must enjoy all seasons at Scrimshaw!Special Features:
- Food and MenuConsistently Very GoodDiWaltDined on 3/2/2013The food at Scrimshaw is consistently very good. I have taken house guests to dinner there and they have always enjoyed it. Guests have commented on how nice the menu is. This weekend the food was very good as always however it was very cold outside and difficult to keep the indoor temperature comfortable. Also I was disappointed in the dessert selection. There was only one item and it did not seem fresh. That is very unusual.Special Features:
- menu is diverse very differentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2013menu is diverse very different items to satisfy all tastesSpecial Features:
- A small trendy resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/16/2013A small trendy resturant offering views of Greenport Harbor. My pasta dish with lobster was excellentSpecial Features: