1722 Routh St
Dallas, TX 75201Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://screendoordallas.com/
- Phone: 2147209111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Closed Sunday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: David McMillan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Special catering available
- Special Events: We are located within walking distance from the downtown Arts District, where we offer a Pre-Theater Menu every night. Happy Hour M-Thur 5pm-7pm
A word from Screen Door
New American cuisine with a Southern twist. The menu takes you back to the porch of decades ago and introduces you to new generations of dishes that think in fresh ways about southern cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Screen Door reviews from OpenTable diners
- A person at next table hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2012A person at next table had her phone plugged in AND ON SPEAKER. We could hear the entire conversation of both people.
- VERY PLEASEDOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012A friend and I went to lunch before attending a matinee performance at the Wyle. We had not been to lunch there previously. We were delighted by the ambience, the cordial and attentive service, the menu offerings, the quality of the food, and, of course, the proximity to the Wyle. The restaurant was full which is a good indication that many folks enjoy the Screen Door. We'll be back for both lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Our entire experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012Our entire experience was really excellent. Loved all of the food It was so nice to have the feeling of being in a quiet, intimate restaurant w/out being 1-2 ft. away from the next table, and w/out the usual extraneous noise. We'll come back.......... and recommend!Special Features:
- Expensive Comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2012The food is excellent - although pricey for "comfort food". Pork chops were huge - grilled -potatoes au gratin, remarkable. Went before theater - very close - walking distance. Thought I had paid only $5 the week before to park with the Valet to go to another restaurant next door before going to the theater - not sure why it was $8 this time.Special Features:
- Our food and service wereJannyDined on 7/12/2012Our food and service were excellent! ...and a great feature was having the cart drive us to the front door of the Winspear to see Jersey Boys! It was fun and convenient. We will definitely go back. Janis Hefley and Larry FontanaSpecial Features:
- We went for dinner. The foodHKinHTownVIPDined on 7/7/2012We went for dinner. The food was very good. The service was good albeit slow.Special Features:
- General Manager Brad HenryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2012General Manager Brad Henry and his chef David have all the bases covered. The smoked pork chop is beyond description. Everyone dining in our party of 4 is still talking about their meal. Impecable service.Special Features:
- Food quality was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012Food quality was excellent. THe tables are too wide... if you're with a group,you need a mega phone to talk to the people across the table, given all the noise in the restaurant. I think the menu is o.k..... may add some more dishes.
- Soup Like Dish WaterYumYumVIPDined on 7/7/2012Food lacked flavor on some dishes. Soup of the day Corn Chowder was like dish water. Waiter was average at best. Did not try to connect with us at all. Unfortunately I will not return to this restaurant.
- Handsome interior and wonderfullyPattyBDined on 7/6/2012Handsome interior and wonderfully comfortable seating at the bar and tables. Warm and friendly wait staff. Small mix up with who got what salads . Waiter recommended the okra which was sensational and he knew the menu well. Reservations were for 8:00 and the restaurant was 3/4 empty with very few diners coming in during our visit. Guess its primarily a dinner before show venue so it was wonderfully quiet and easy to hear everyone at the table. Ribeye was a little overlooked and was a smaller cut of beef than I would have expected for the price. Short ribs were good but not great. The lamb, fried chicken and fish dishes were terrific and the presentation of all the plates was thoughtful and pretty. I will go again.Special Features:
- Screen Door is a skip on next visitHsy2550VIPDined on 7/6/2012Screen Door service was excellent. The staff was friendly and attentive, but the food was below average. My date had the fried chicken, collards and macaroni with cheese. The fried chicken was not good. In fact, you would have gotten better fried chicken from one of the fast food chains. I had the beef short ribs which were less than average. The location is great for an evening before a show, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for an exceptional meal.Special Features:
- It was wonderful. Join theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2012It was wonderful. Join the Screen Door Society for special offers.Special Features:
- Amazing service! Really madeCarolineDined on 7/5/2012Amazing service! Really made my friend's 40th birthday lunch special! Very unusual to have a restaurant go above and beyond for a birthday lunch for two.Special Features:
- AMAZEMENTOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/30/2012As an NYC foodie, I am pretty picky. This is by far the best meal I have ever had in Dallas, and one of the best meals I have ever had in my life. The smoked pork chip was absolutely amazing. Also the marrow and chicken liver pate were to die for! Wish they had a better bar menu to fit their amazing food!Special Features:
- Great Food, Awesome service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/29/2012Great Food, Awesome service. Have a reservation for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Everything was excellent...itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2012Everything was excellent...it was a great dining experience.Special Features:
- A great restaurant beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2012A great restaurant before the theater or any night. Food and service was very good. Nice specials. Would dine there again.Special Features:
- Meat loaf sandwich and shrimpFreidaVIPDined on 6/26/2012Meat loaf sandwich and shrimp and grits were both delicious. My friend who ate the shrimp and grits wanted to lick her bowl! Reservation honored and we enjoyed celebrating our birthdays together.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2012Overall very satisfied with the experience. I would have rated the food as outstanding except the fried green tomato appetizer lacked seasoning. Also the dessert menu seemed uninspiring although we were not planning on eating dessert anyway. I would definitely dine their again.Special Features:
- Had the fried green tomatoes,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2012Had the fried green tomatoes, the tenderloin, & fried chicken. Everything was wonderful. Service was great.Special Features:
- Outstanding food. Competent,DallasCEODined on 6/20/2012Outstanding food. Competent, if not excellent, service. Very loud when crowded.Special Features:
- Great food, good service,PhillyFoodLoverDined on 6/19/2012Great food, good service, perfect pre-theater meal with friends, family, or business associates.Special Features:
- Southern cooking at its finestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2012I had the Mama's Fried Chicken and it was deliscious.Special Features:
- It was our first time thereenjoylifeDined on 6/16/2012It was our first time there and it was a great experience. GREAT selection of food! Very nice to be able to talk and have a conversation while your were having a nice dinner. I will be recommending all my friends to go there.Special Features:
- Our party of four went toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2012Our party of four went to the Screen Door prior to attending Jersey Boys at the AT&T Performing Arts. Waiter was conscious of our time constraints and had us out the door in plenty of time. Food and service excellent.Special Features:
- Pre-Show MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2012Food and service was superb. Shrimp and grits were marvelous. We enjoyed our 3-course meal and were able to make it to the Winspear with plenty of time to spare.Special Features:
- Good food but poor wineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2012We went to The Screen Door before the theatre for their fixed price ($35) 3-course pre-theatre menu. The location is perfect for the Opera House. We were still served very quickly. We had a salad with spinach, strawberries, honey nut croutons and feta cheese. There could have been a bit more salad dressing but it was still delicious. Then we had shrimp with grits for our main. There were just 4-5 shrimp in each portion but it was sufficient . . . and very tasty. Dessert was a cold blueberry crumble served with ice cream. We ordered a bottle of white wine with our meal. It was served WARM. After a bit of discussion with the waiter, the bottle was exchanged for one of the few white wines that they actually serve chilled.
- Shrimp & Grits and the PorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/12/2012Shrimp & Grits and the Pork Chop special were outstanding. Ben is a great waiter...request him.Special Features:
- I always enjoy eating at theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2012I always enjoy eating at the Screen Door...it is a very relaxed, comfortable and upscale...and by the way the fried green tomatoes are awesome!Special Features:
- Had a great dinner there,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2012Had a great dinner there, the food was outstanding. I ordered the special which was a bone in pork chop and it was thicker than a filet. My date had the shrimp and grits off the menu and both meals were excellent. It was a slow night so we had an quiet, enjoyable dinner and the service was excellent. I would say the prices are a little high for "southern food" but considering the area and quality I'm not complaining. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Our server made the meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2012Our server made the meal. She was fun and very helpful. The food was very good, not knock your socks off but certainly satisfying.Special Features:
- Although our server was attentive,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2012Although our server was attentive, the food was SLOW coming out fron the kitchen.
- Great Pre-Show mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2012Went for dinner before show at Wyly Theater. Ordered from the Theater Pre-Fixe menu. Service was very prompt. I had the Shrmip Grits special which I was dubious to order but it was excellent. Lemon Pie dessert was great too.Special Features:
- I have loved this place sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/1/2012I have loved this place since it opened. But this recent visit was terrible. The food was salty, the service was slow (it took us 20 minutes to get our check), and everyone seemed stretched and harried. Not sure I will return any time soon.
- A Great Dining ExperienceSlomuvintrainVIPDined on 5/26/2012First, if you're looking for a place that offers great food with great service before you're off to a show at the Arts District then the Screen Door is the place. Unique food offerings you won't find in any other Dallas restaurant. Cooked to perfection, full flavored, professionally served. The Screen Door has a new fan. I'm not waiting for the next show. I'm headed back to the Screen Door just for the wonderful dining experience. It's that good!Special Features:
- Me and my wife met anotherOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2012Me and my wife met another couple early , and we had a drink in the bar before dinner reservation. The bar manager DJ is awesome, he will customize or invent a drink for you, just tell him what you like. When we got to our table, the service was prompt and courteous, and the great service continued throughout the course of the meal.The food was great, the Berkshire pork chop was one of the best I ever had. The restaurant was a great fit for a night with our friends. Will absolutely be going back.Special Features:
- Food interesting and gooddfwguestVIPDined on 5/25/2012Food interesting and good as usual. Service was slow before theatre especially given that it was not a busy night.
- My wife and I were in DallasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2012My wife and I were in Dallas for a wedding and we found this restaurant after searching for someplace that gave us a memorable experience. The Screen Door exceeded our expectatons. The bread is delicious...cinnamon scones, corn bread, and some other kind of bread that my wife compared to a breakfast bun. Try the Fried Green Tomatoes with the chili buttermilk that set it off. Our entrees were truly mouth-watering. I had the special (Hickory Grilled Pork Chop with arugula & cherry tomatoes). If you can get the Gourmandise Walnut Cheesecake with caramel sauce, do not leave without it! We bought two of them. You will love this place...Special Features:
- Food was great but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2012Food was great but service was extremely slow. Service on show days needs to be better. We went to Screen Door with reservations almost two hours before our show started at 8:00. We didn't get our dessert from the three course meal until 7:50, ate two bites and left. We had to ask for the ticket and gave the waiter our cards before we even received the ticket. There were two of us and we ordered the same thing the minute we sat down, it was the set three course meal and we only drank water. It shouldn't have taken that long.
- good food, average serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2012it looks to be in some sort of business park...several restaurants at the bottom of a very large office building. outdoor dining was nice. I thought the service was sub-par...they brought me my salad without the shrimp on it, and it seemed to take them a few tries to get the water I asked for. My client wanted one of their frozen specialty drinks and the water came out with something on the rocks and said the frozen machine was broken, but he'd give him a "discount" on this particular drink, which in all reality should have been free, or at least he should have offered him something else. i liked the ambiance, there is a fountain in the middle, and the vallet is only $3 if you get it validated.Special Features: