111 N. La Cienega Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90211Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scratchbarla.com/
- Phone: 3102898010x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phillip Frankland Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Restaurant is available for your next business or personal function
- Private Party Contact: Phillip Lee 3102898010x
- Special Events: Every Sunday Scratch|Bar hosts OPEN MIC NIGHT where Chef Phillip invites a Guest Chef to take over the Restaurant for an evening!
A word from Scratch Bar
Scratch|Bar has drawn praise from the LA Times for its "highly inventive dishes" that are a "surprising contrast to the informal surroundings" of this new neighborhood bistro.Continued
Chef Phillip Lee brings a 'from scratch' focus to his food (Gayot.com).
Makes for a fun dinner experience (LA Times)
Chef Phillip Lee brings a 'from scratch' focus to his food (Gayot.com).
Makes for a fun dinner experience (LA Times)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Scratch Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (32)hot spot (22)notable wine list (18)good for groups (15)romantic (12)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Special New PlaceQubackVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is a terrific new spot. Interesting combinations of food...unique preparations, great tastes. Very friendly, accessible. And reasonably priced for the quality and quantity. We had a the 6 course tasting menu. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- a must come back placeSVETSERVIPDined on 9/8/2014Felt like I was back in Paris with magic of falling in love with tasty creations on my plate...Special Features:
- Don't Bother!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Too many flavors that just do not work together! Every dish we had was pretty weird. The oyster big belly appetizer was really gross!!
- Fun and inventiveSouthernCaliGuyDined on 8/27/2014Innovative food, well-executed, with a witty edge, presented to you by a staff that seems to care about what they're doing. Oh, and the prices are great too, especially considering the sophistication of what you're getting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gratuitously OddChris100VIPDined on 8/23/2014I think this is the place you enjoy when you are so jaded by other restaurants and you want to have something you have never had before. Many of the flavor combinations are not good together and seem placed almost randomly in the same dish.
- Outstanding in so many waysextraordinary1VIPDined on 8/21/2014Brendan, our server was extremely knowledgeable, accommodated us in every way!!! Food was truly outstanding, farm to table & creative. Only possible downside was if you're a foodie, unable to discuss the courses due to the noise level which can become very overpowering. ...otherwise truly exceptional. A must go!Special Features:
- Chef Lee is the real dealRichVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great meal by a superb chef. Every bite was wonderful. Creative, flavorful, clever, humorous. We had the 6 course tasting menu which was plenty of food for us even with at least two dishes being one bite. My favorites: the prawn, the shooter and the cauliflower. My wife would have included the chicken and waffle. We had the squid in a box and the duck - both excellent. Still not a full liquor license but the sake based cocktails were fine. The wait staff were knowledgeable and fun. Didn't want a full glass of wine for the 5th course (before desert) but it was a wonderful gesture when the waiter surprised us with the gift of a half glass of wine to go with our main courses. The chocolate bar desert topped off a fabulous meal.Special Features:
- Excellent friendlyGraceDined on 8/12/2014Second trip and excellent as before. Food ,drinks, wine list, service all top notch. Easy and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mouth wateringyumyumDined on 8/9/2014Everything was amazing - especially the Crab Slaw!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014I conducted a lot of research before picking this place. We showed up starving and thus ordered the six course tasting menu. Although I'm American, I live in London and thus I'm used to very small portions. The portions here were comically small and it took ages for each dish to arrive. The server was very apologetic and trying his best to distract us from how long each portion was taking to be prepared. I definitely don't blame the waiter - he did his best but imagine how disappointed we were to wait forever for each course only to be presented with something that looked like an amuse bouche. I left so hungry, I dropped by Mortons afterwards for a hamburger. With respect to the quality of food, it wasn't bad but wasn't great either.
- YummyeaterDined on 8/2/2014Can't describe the yum at this restaurant. We tried virtually everything on the menu, everything made from scratch with loving care, presented in creative stylish fashion and described in detail by the knowledgeable servers. We started with the smoking goat cheese and ended with caramel Apple Panna Cotta. afraid of pig's head, squid, green muscles? don't be, go for it, the flavors are so deep and sumptuous and never overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality, innovative dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/2/2014Every dish is thoughtfully prepared, but overall the portions are quite tiny. I knew this, so I was not surprised. Five of the courses are served without your input, and the main course is your choice of protein. All 6 courses were interesting and beautifully plated. The dishes were well-executed. Our favorites were the raw-ish prawns with cabbage and pistachio and the blackened cauliflower-excellent! The service was also spot-on, with knowledgeable and friendly staff. The waitstaff were attentive, yet relaxed.The quality of the food and preparation definitely rivals Maude. And at $45 for 6 courses, it is a better value than Maude. If you want delicious and interesting food, and quality instead of quantity, go. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGraceDined on 7/30/2014Wow! Loved every bite. Will be back for more, wanted to eat the whole menu. Squid is crazy good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- you gotta go!BeckyVIPDined on 7/27/2014Service and food was above and beyond! And try one of their cocktails ~ loved the smoked goat cheese and the blackened cauliflower. Make a reservation now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Monday Night findLewieDined on 7/21/2014People have been telling us to go the Scratch Bar for months. We certainly will go again soon. Interesting and wonderful tastes. The waffle appetizer with sweetbreads was an amazing way to start or quick late meal. Cauliflower fantastic and steak dish were perfect. The cole slaw with the pork was so fresh that we had eat every last bit. Basically, we ate every last bit. Sat at the bar and the bartender was so much fun, the stafff was excellent and gave off an exciting vibe. Loved the wine list! Muscadet is the summer drink of choice and the one they have was just again, perfect besides the Malbec from Argentina...Special Features:
- Good foodFoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014The food are small portions and the server lets you know that from the get go. But, they are very tasty. When the music is turned up, everybody had to yell over each other to be heard. The result is really a loud noise that can be overwhelming when you are dealing with a small restaurant. Overall is very good.Special Features:
- AH-MAH-ZING!!!!BartenderDined on 7/18/2014So this was a place that I decided to go to because I had a Groupon. It is probably 1 of 3-4 places that I've gone to because of a Groupon that I said, "DAMN!!! I am coming back to try the other menu items." Amazing food Beautiful presentation You all have to try the in-house made ice cream in the in-house made waffle cone with the in-house made sprinkles!!!!!Special Features:
- Super HOT CrowdMikeVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food and service are excellent. It has a very diverse and good looking crowd.Special Features:
- RKinSODined on 7/5/2014Excellent! Chef Phillip was very helpful and attentive. Great dining experience and we will be back!Special Features:
- Ideal for adventurous dinersMsBlissDined on 7/2/2014I really enjoyed the gorgeous presentation and delightful flavor palates of the food. Our server was attentive, knowledgeable and gracious. Great surprise dinner for my partner. Cheers!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/28/2014Food like you have never had before. Try the bone marrow and the cauliflower dishes.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014What a wonderful dining experience we had at Scratch Bar on Saturday evening. The food was unique and complex with layers of flavor and ingredients in each dish. The service was knowledgeable and friendly to the extent of even describing the best way to technically eat each dish to enjoy all of the flavors intermingling. We purchased the 6 course tasting menu and added a few dishes on. We really could have been satisfied with just the 6 courses but wanted to try more of the creative offerings. We would highly recommend this restaurant and were wondering why it wasn't more crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolDined on 6/17/2014Loved it all. Go for the tasting menu. Only negative feedback is the soundtrack; it is beyond eclectic and doesn't give any particular vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014A great LA gem. Superb food, especially the duck. And don't be fooled by the vanilla ice cream come options on the desserts--a guaranteed magical moment for your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingTinaVIPDined on 6/11/2014Once Again You Have Amazed Me With Your Food Presentation , Food Service, Wines To Pair Along With Your Entrees. I Am Always So Impressed With The Serving Of Each Plate The Detail Information They Present To Me. Changing Menu Please Visit For The Reason It May Not Be On The Menu Next TimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!!!live2eatVIPDined on 6/11/2014The preparations are delicious and beautiful to look at it. It is always fun to eat at the Scratch Bar.Special Features:
- Awesome food and servicerookiefoodieDined on 6/7/2014Food was incredible! Everything is made from scratch at the restaurant. When you are served each plate, your server explains each and every component of the dish. Everything was delicious! I like the small serving/tapas setting so you could try a TON of different items. Moderately priced for what you're getting - everything is super fresh. Our server (Collin) was so funny and personable and had great suggestions. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Excellent food, insanely loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/6/2014Pretty great experience all the way around. But the noise level was almost intolerable. Its a relatively easy fix that they really need to look into. First, lower the music a bit. Second, some sound absorbers on the walls and ceiling. Its sad to me how many great meals (at many local restaurants) are being ruined by having to shout at one's dinning companions.Special Features:
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/6/2014I had high expectations of this restaurant but was very disappointed. we had sat for 15 minutes before anyone even brought us menus and to make matters worse. a couple sat down next to us after us and we're immediately given menus, had their orders taken, and we're on their second course before we were acknowledged. the food tasted just ok, nothing spectacular. the best was the cauliflower dish but just because I love cauliflowers. the dessert was a spicy chocolate ganache bar thing of which we took one bite and left it. we both agreed we would not be returning.
- Food preferencesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/4/2014Kitchen did not seem to understand "does not eat red meat"; kept getting served pork dishes which I just kept giving to my guest.Special Features:
- On the verge of greatnessOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/3/2014This restaurant is right up our alley, innovative food with a focus on fresh, homemade ingredients. Every dish we had was very good, and all had the potential to be something really special with just a few tweaks. We especially enjoyed the corn fried bbq pork fritters with coleslaw. The ambiance of this place is really nice, we are from Oregon and both commented that it reminded us of the Portland food scene which is to say upscale and stylish with a casual flaire. We will definitely be back and look forward to seeing how this place evolves over time.Special Features:
- Deliciouskarey4o0Dined on 5/29/2014Wow.. we pretty much ordered everything on the menu.. everything was delicious to say the least.. great place, great food. Planning to go soon before the word gets out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 45 reviews are from the Scratch Bar reviews archive.
- 6 course tasting amazingBFollVIPDined on 5/18/2014This place has such delicious and unique dishes. It is totally shocking that I found this place on Groupon- don't let that fool you into thinking they're subpar. This has literally been one of the rarest, most adventurous and tasty dishes I've had in the past 6 months. I had their blackened cauliflower at Scratch|Bar and the next night had the same dish at Gjelina and it was better at Scratch. Try the Smelt and bone barrow dish and the olive oil and bone marrow bread. Everything was great.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencePointhoarderVIPDined on 5/18/2014Highly impressed. We had the smaller tasting menu and liked the food so much we ordered other items that they had on the larger tasting menu. Especially liked the squid in a box. Great friendly staff. If we lived closer, we would be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailYummyVIPDined on 5/14/2014The tasting menu option is a great value and wonderful for the amount of thought and flavor profiles that go into it! A great gem, worth trying. If this restaurant was in another part of town, you wouldn't be able to get in. EVER. My only critique is the waiters do not have a great knowledge of the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slmtVIPDined on 5/14/2014The food is innovative and excellent. The service was great; all the waiters were friendly. We were in a rush and the food came out quickly and they were really accommodating! The portions are small for the price, so this is definitely for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Outstanding 6 course menuvanessaDined on 5/10/2014We had the 6 course menu. It was absolutely delicious! I chose 'squid in a box' for my main dish and it was spectacular. The food is incredible!! And the service it's great! :) I would loooove to go back soon! (Note: their alcohol license is limited to wine/beer, and really creative cocktails with sake and else - no whiskey though!)Special Features:
- Fun food, super staffValleyKenDined on 5/10/2014The food is the star, but the staff really know how to support it. They care, they explain, they are enthusiastic and they seem to really like what they are doing. A real enhancement to a meal, which adds to the fun of eating creative, unusual, and very tasty, dishes.Special Features:
- Superb culinary adventureGoronDined on 5/4/2014There are many restaurants that attempt what Scratch Bar achieves so well. Modern foodies are constantly looking not only for delicious, well prepared dishes, but always looking for new twists on old favorites, seeking out food as artistic combinations unique and interesting. Most attempts to do this I have found often may make a dish interesting, but ultimately sacrifice something else, the more elements mixed together, it is rare for all the elements to reach full harmony. The experience at Scratch Bar shows modern done right. Each dish is not only unique and engaging, the elements of the dish are also in absolute harmony. After dining here twice, this restaurant has quickly become one of my favorite restaurants in LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliantmelissa1128Dined on 5/3/2014Scratch Bar is one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. We sat at the Chef's Counter, where the food was prepared in front of us. Chef Phillipe's creativity to combine different flavors were complex and amazing. It was a treat to have the chef cook in front of us and explain all of the dishes. My favorite was the Green Mussel Saki Shooter.Special Features: