1 Al Scoma Way
Pier 47, Fisherman's Wharf
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scomas.com/
- Phone: (415) 771-4383
- Hours of Operation:
The bar will open at 11am Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Alan Fairhurst
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Scoma's is located on its own Pier nestled among the local fishing boats in the Fisherman's Wharf District. We have several dining rooms that we can, at times, book out for private events. Contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Nick McGreevy 8884870332
- Cross Street: Jefferson Street
- Public Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47
Street Car - F Line
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer complimentary valet parking at the restaurant on Pier 47. We also validate at the Fisherman"s Wharf 'Traingle Lot' located at Jefferson St & Taylor St.
A word from Scoma's Restaurant
Our Fisherman's Wharf seafood restaurant is steeped in a family tradition of quality and service. Still family owned and operated, Scoma’s opened in 1965, when brothers Al and Joe Scoma took over a six table coffee shop serving fishermen on the wharf. Using their mother’s recipe collection, the Scoma brothers' humble café evolved over the years becoming the quintessential San Francisco dining destination it is today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Scoma's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf ›
Scoma's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
501 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (271)special occasion (243)fit for foodies (198)neighborhood gem (156)romantic (126)good for groups (123)great for lunch (118)notable wine list (91)hot spot (84)kid-friendly (42)vibrant bar scene (33)great for brunch (24)late-night find (23)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Old, tired and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/21/2014We had not been to Scoma's for some time and were looking forward to this "classic" wharf restaurant. We were somewhat disappointed. The service was slow. The restaurant's signature "Cioppino" could have been made with canned tomato sauce and was very bland. The menu was quite pricey. I think this one is best left to the tourists these days.
- Just plain greatederfan1Dined on 11/20/2014Had not been to Scoma's in over 30 years but then have been twice in the last year. Nothing that we ordered was a disappointment. In fact, everything we ordered was excellent. All seafood dishes were top quality and as fresh as they come. Side dishes were all inventive and satisfying. Be prepared to pay a price but every cent you spend will be well worth it. I've lived in the Bay Area for over 40 years now and I now consider Scoma's one of my very favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF standard doesn't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/18/2014Comfortable menu - very familiar, but well-executed. Attentive, well-paced service even when the dining room was packed. Would like to see a better wine list. Being so close to many different wine growing regions in Northern California, I was disappointed in the selection. The wine we ordered was fine -- a Zin from Seghesio -- but it was the standard 2013 Sonoma County issue when I know there are many others from Dry Creek/Sonoma (Seghesio included), Amador, Nevada, etc. regions that would be worthy of the food, ambiance and service here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scoma's - be careful what you orderOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014This is an excellent restaurant, but for some reason, the Crab Louie was very average - no avocado, very little crab for a $38 salad, and no deviled egg. Had better there in the past. Chalked it up to a bad order on my part. Next time, cracked crab or fish, which are excellent. Waiter was good - no complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousnessEssexDined on 11/17/2014I took my roommate here for his birthday! He has lived in the city for over 15 years and had never been! This is one of my favorite treat restaurants! Anyway he had the lobster ravioli with king salmon and I had the shrimp and scallops! Everything was delicious! We really liked the sampler appetizer! The crab cakes were especially delish! Everything was great! It was really sweet too because they brought my roommate a nice piece of decadent birthday cake with a candle. It was on the house. Soo nice! I had to try the key lime panacotta and it was amazing! I will definitely be back and recommend this restaurant to friends and travelers. 😊cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningswmonaDined on 11/17/2014Scoma's has been around forever because the food, service, drinks and overall experience is very good. It is a San Francisco institution. The crab was particularly delicious as are the cosmos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerVegastravelerDined on 11/15/2014What a great dinner!! The two favorites from the menu were the lobster bisque and the local favorite sole, they were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!LoriDined on 11/15/2014Lots of people at the door, we arrived before our reservation. After our cell was confirmed, we went outside to wait. We were called almost immediately and before our reservation time. We were seated upstairs with a beautiful window view of the fishing boats being unloaded. Proficient, friendly and unobtrusive staff gave us recommendations and answered questions. Food was excellent. We stayed quite a while talking and relaxing. No rush. Great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old waiterLucasPDined on 11/15/2014Service is poor due lot of costumers and tired waiter atritudeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun at Scoma's!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/14/2014We had a fantastic time, the food was excellent; I'm not a beet fan but half of our party of 6 were fans of the beet salad. Our waiter, Tim was well trained and our food came out promptly. We were celebrating being with dear friends, enjoying fine wine and great. We couldn't have had a better time.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KyleVIPDined on 11/14/2014Great location. Great view. Better food options in SF.Special Features:
- Scoma's San FranciscoJC2eatDined on 11/14/2014Cioppini was fabulous. The staff was very accommodating. Nice atmosphere in a good location at Fisherman's Wharf. Portions were good size. Tourist spot, good for both couples and families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fisherman's Wharf mustraraVIPDined on 11/14/2014Scoma's always delivers a classic SF, old time restaurant vibe. The fishing boats outside reflect its lineage and geography.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014Very nice lunch; accommodating staff; lovely view of the harbor. Nice to have valet parking!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2014Was my first day in this city, I was walking near and looking online I found this place and with so many good reviews. ...... what could go wrong? Well.. everything went grong. The service, the food, even the attention: My choice there was the king salmon and my wife went for a "risotto". Salmon was anything, but king. Poor size, lack of flavor and nothing about presentation. My wife's rice looked more like a bad cooked dish of rice than a risotto. We always had to look for our waitress, he never came to the table to ask if everything was fine. No one ever offer a wine/liquor menu so I asked for a beer and no one ever asked if I wanted another one when I finished that one. My recommendation : Stay away from this restaurant.
- Excellent As AlwaysstukVIPDined on 11/12/2014Excellent as always. This was the second time in three days that we dined here on vacation. Still the best place on the Wharf to eat seafood. Cioppino is still the best even though it is not as lasrge as it used to be. Menu has less items on it but waiters/kitchen modify needs and choices to the customers satisfaction!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment at all (except service)schnitzel83Dined on 11/11/2014Just arrived in San Francisco we quickly checked on several different apps to search for a good seafood restaurant, scoma's was the result (main driver was that the restaurant buy fish directly from the trawler and crabs). We wanted to go for crabs, unfortunately the seasons hasn't started yet... So we shared some starters (Seafood chowder, Plate with fried calamari,shrimps in garlic, mussels) which were not too bad (nice dips, if you need this for fish). Then we took the catch of the day and the chefs recommendation as main dish, this were a total disappointment, the fish was fried to dead (might be good quality before) and the other dish has a tomato sauce which killed the fish at all, the shrimps taste not good (medicine taste) and the scallops was totally over the point.... By the way we took a 58 Dollar Pouilly fume white wine and expect at least a solid wine, even that does not worked out... The only good thing at this evening was Kevin our waiter, he was quite friendly, but that couldn't compensate the main dishes at all - the best were the rice and the beans :-(
- Not the same Scoma's I grew up withItalianheartedDined on 11/11/2014I always enjoy visiting Scoma's, I've been eating here the last 20 years and it is the number one place I tell everyone to eat if they enjoy good Italian seafood. After this recent dinner I'm left confused, what happened to the "Italian" sized portions and the sauteed selection? No more mashed potatoes???? its the little things that I enjoyed and now its just a "normal" seafood option with wild grain rice. I will continue to visit, but will no longer have a hot spot to brag about. The only generous servings are at the bar,now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in SFOMarkdaveDined on 11/10/2014Never been better then now. Loved it Took first wife here 30 years ago new fiancé this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysstukVIPDined on 11/10/2014Dinner with the wife a step daughter was great as always. Menu has shrunk quite abit from the go-go on years and the portions are smaller which is a good thing as we get older.Special Features:
- ALWAYSJakeVIPDined on 11/9/2014I don't live in California but when I am in town I always eat at Scoma's. Always a great meal and delicious food.Special Features:
- Very disappointedLakehouseladyDined on 11/9/2014I was so looking forward to a wonderful dinner at Fisherman's Wharf. I was visiting from North Carolina and came out to celebrate the Marine Corp Birthday at the Marine Corp Memorial Hotel. We had aparty of seven. My lobster tails were the first entre to come out. There were four small tails that were not fully cooked. I sent them back and they didn't return until the others in my party were just about finished with dinner. Our waiter did try his best to make up for it by bringing two desserts. Others in my party were not pleased with their dinner choices either and said they would not order it again.Special Features:
- A great day at Scoma'sCapitolaBillDined on 11/9/2014My companion and I dined at Scoma's on Sunday 11/9/14. Excellent! Service could have been a little better but I would return in a San Francisco minute!Special Features:
- Amazing Seafood!DrRCDined on 11/8/2014The food at Scoma's was absolutely delicious! The wait staff is friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Profoundly disappointingnorakozVIPDined on 11/8/2014Our experience on November 8, 2014 was so frustrating and disappointing that our friend, an East Bay resident who has been dining at Scoma’s and bringing guests there for 20 years, swore she would never come back. There were problems with being seated, even though we had a reservation. No one liked their entrees except me (I had the shrimp risotto) but, unfortunately, I had a gluten reaction even though both my appetizer and entree were listed as gluten free. The only bright spot was excellent service from our server, Bruce, and the other serving staff.
- Not worth the waittericatDined on 11/8/2014Our reservation was for 6:15 and when we arrived at 6, we were told it would be about 15 minutes and would be seated at our reservation time. At 6:30, we were told it would be about 15 minutes. We were finally seated at 7PM. The food was good but definitely not worth the wait and for that matter, not for the price. There are many San Francisco restaurants that serve better food for less and without the aggravation. The service, once we were seated, was very good but it will be a blue moon before I would go back.
- Awesome restaurantjobaggsDined on 11/7/2014Great location in SF. Great history, and great food. the spinach was rocking goodSpecial Features:
- Scomas Lives Up To MemoriesSanFranTravellerDined on 11/6/2014We found Scomas 25 years ago on a visit to San Francisco, and when we met one of my daughters in San Francisco for her birthday I checked to see if Scomas was still there. It was and it was as good as all our memories. Great food, good service, a decent if not spectacular view in the water near Pier 47. It's a bit pricey but the tables were not as closely squeezed together as I remember and the food has improved since the last time I was there (probably 15 years ago). Highly recommended for a great meal in the wharf district.Special Features:
- TuesdaypokerTuesdaypokerDined on 11/6/2014TABLE WAS READY ON TIME. CLAM CHOWDER WAS DELICIOUS. VALET PARKING MADE IT VERY EASY. SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT. HAVE NEVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED IN ALL THE YEARS WE HAVE GONE THERE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014I got the mixed grill, three fish in one! The salmon, tuna, and swordfish were the best I've had! The grilled vegatables were OK, nothing special but the fish was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food slow serviceBannrDined on 11/5/2014We arrived a few minutes early For our reservation which was pointless since we weren't seated until 25 after our reservation. We received a free appetizer as an apology for the slow seating which was negated by the fact that it was another 20 minutes before our orders were taken. The food was great, but it was not so earth-shattering to override the extremely slow service. Scoma's I expected and deserved service on par with the food and reputation and I didn't get it. Any recommendations to others will come with a warning regarding the slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJoanneDined on 11/5/2014Tim our waiter was excellent as was Kevin. Always a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fishUmbo62Dined on 11/4/2014second time in San Francisco and second visit to Scoma's. Fish food is excellent and the wine list very rich. Service is friendly. reservation requiredSpecial Features:
- Excellent service and foodAnitaDined on 11/2/2014You definitely need to have reservations. This is a popular place. The food and service were excellent. We will visit again when we are in San FranciscoSpecial Features:
- One of the best in San Francisco!ReneeDined on 11/2/2014I have been dining at Scoma's since it was one big room in a building on the street (maybe the 70's)! It has always been a shining star of Fisherman's Wharf and our latest visit (a group of 7) was yet another wonderful experience. The swordfish was juicy, firm and well-seasoned and the choice of wines by the glass was varied and interesting. The hostess got us a window table and the service was prompt and gracious. One small complaint: the staff cleared individual settings, bread and silverware much too soon - long before everyone else was finished.Special Features:
- Hidden GemLookn4balanceDined on 11/1/2014Hi Haven't been there in a long time. Service was great! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome dinnernightout4funDined on 11/1/2014words cant tell u how wonderful the people the food it was awesome laura was a gem and helped us so muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014We had a fabulous time. Waiter was great and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Scomas is a must any time my family is in town. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SeafoodFoodie2Dined on 10/31/2014Scoma's came highly recommended by several people and I'm so glad we chose it. It is off the beaten path and locally owned; has quite the history. It's unique and run by people who want you to have a great experience. The food was absolutely delicious!!! It is right on the water; we looked at moored fishing boats from our table and the night lights if San Francisco. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.