Scion Restaurant Silver Spring
1200 East-West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Scion Restaurant Silver Spring
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.scionrestaurant.com/locations/
- Phone: (301) 585-8878
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Scion Restaurant Silver Spring
Scion Restaurant is excited to open it's second location in Silver Spring, Maryland in April 2013! Construction is complete at 1200 East-West Highway and we look forward to opening day!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scion Restaurant Silver Spring reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (14)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great beer list.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The beer list was a pleasant surprise. Lot of draft and bottle craft beers, especially dark beers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard DC restaurant, only in Silver SpringNataloubooVIPDined on 11/18/2014Went on a Tuesday night. The restaurant and bar were both almost full, yet the noise level was not too loud at all. It was also 7:30, so after happy hour had ended. The food is always consistently good here and the service usually is too. This particular visit was not up to par for this restaurant. Our server was inattentive and slow. He seemed to be in good spirits and attentive to other tables, so perhaps his section was too much for him to handle. We did let the manager know and the manager seemed appreciative. All other staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm, upscale neighborhood placeEllenVIPDined on 11/9/2014Very friendly, relaxed place with generous portions of good food. The vegetables are particularly good.Special Features:
- great foodnicknameVIPDined on 11/8/2014pork chops were amazing hash served with the shrimp was not a big hitSpecial Features:
- Great Food & Service!rani15mdDined on 10/18/2014Loved the food and was a great place for myself being a vegetarian! The food is fresh and delicious and the portions are huge! I will certainly go back!esSpecial Features:
- OkMPMSVIPDined on 10/10/2014Sliders were nothing special. Fried Pickles fun and good. Spinach salad very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good but....WhatchagotDined on 10/3/2014It is a good restaurant. The waitress was friendly and attentive. The food came quickly and was hot. The menu has a decent spread to it, so everybody could find something to their liking. The problem I had was that for the level of decor (blah), the location (near us but nowhere otherwise), and what was on the menu (nothing truly intriguing or exotic) it cost far more than it should. It's a lower Silver Spring place charging silly, downtown Bethesda prices. Next time we will go to the noodle and dumpling place next door. And check the prices before we get settled in!Special Features:
- Good food; Very loudOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great summer cocktail with Ketel One vodka, lime, cucumber, and cilantro. While we enjoyed our meal, the noise level was incredibly high. There is no sound insulation at all, so with 2 large groups (the restaurant was only half full), the noise was intrusive. The food, on the other hand, was interesting & tasty. Appetizers: fried pickles, seared scallops with white beans, edamame hummus. Entrees: thick cut pork chop, risotto with vegetables and scallops, thin-cut steak but cooked perfectly, & roasted potatoes, which were absolutely delicious - crisp outside and soft in the middle. We probably won't go back due to the noise level and the fact that we don't live in Silver Spring. If we did, we might go off hour for a quieter meal.Special Features:
- not badOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014The food and the mimosas were very good -- but it was a little creepy walking in at 11 am and being the only customers there, particularly because it's not well lit. (Also, there is no designated parking, so you have to hunt for it on adjacent streets.)I would recommend this to a friend.
- AntimoVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our first time. It would be nice if something can be done about the noise. There were three of us and we could hardly converse without raising our voices, which only increased the noise level. The concrete floors don't help.
- service needs improvingAndreaDined on 8/31/2014We were pleased by the food at Scion--it was quite tasty. However, the wait staff did not pay consistent attention to the table, got one of our orders wrong and did not make an effort either to apologize or rectify it quickly. Essentially, they were not eager enough to please.Special Features:
- Great Food, Value, Beware Busy DaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014We were told we were there on an unusually busy, noisy night and while most of the 20 and 30 something patrons were very happy and talking animatedly and loudly, we did not like the noise However, the food tasted terrific, was varied, different and interesting and the prices were very reasonable. I want to believe that if the chef hadn't been so busy he might not have put wilted lettuce as decoration on a dish we ordered and we would have been able to hear each other to talk. The owners's other Scion restaurant on P Street in Dupont Circle is equally delicious and always quieter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, Quiet BrunchMyaaDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I normally go to the DC location, but we decided to try Silver Spring since it was closer. There were not too many people in the restaurant, so it was quiet. The upside was the food and drinks came out quickly. The servers were nice, and the quality of food was on par with the original location. We will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Awesome BrunchVPDtheFoodieDined on 8/23/2014This was really a hidden gem! We tried the Scion for Satruday brunch and were a bit skeptical at first as the place was almost empty... but what a surprice. The Blood Marys were hand-made (no out of the bottle mix) by the bartender and amazing. The service was superior and the food outstanding. This will become a regular weekend brunch spot for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- liketoeatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Went with 5 people. Four of us had the signature burger. Delicious, cooked perfectly. Accompanied by fries that were also very good. Scion has an awesome beer list. We also had the spinach crab dip, very tasty. Friendly, efficient staff, food came quickly. I have no complaints. Will be back again.Special Features:
- Good FoodPA2DCDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was very tasty. The place wasn't packed, but I guess it competes against the other restaurants downtown. It was a little hard to find, but worth the search for parking.
- The following 76 reviews are from the Scion Restaurant Silver Spring reviews archive.
- Nice spot-good food and pricinggoodeatzDined on 7/27/2014Brunch was nice, but our time morphed in to the lunch arena, where they play much louder music. While the music is to my liking, I'll keep in mind to schedule "family brunches" for an earlier time slot. Food was quite delicious and I like the portion sizes. (Not too big-who needs a 4 egg omelet?!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice brunchsharonhDined on 7/27/2014took out of town family for brunch, got there just as it opened for the morning. very nice staff, interesting brunch menu. will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Secret gemDguvnaVIPDined on 7/26/2014This tucked away restaurant has something for everyone. A spectacular beer list and remarkable food just gets things started. We knew we had stumbled upon a hit when we saw fried pickles as an appetizer. The salads were excellent, and the fish was cooked to perfection. Our friends had the chicken and the risotto dishes, and claim they too were great.Special Features:
- Great food but don't order drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014We had dinner for the first time and the food was great. We didn't care for our server. Do not buy martinis or any drinks where the price isn't listed. They charge you for a shot then up charge you for the olive juice or whatever else goes into your drink. 2 martinis was more expensive than my entire meal.
- Nice Brunchmrg123Dined on 7/13/2014My husband and I met some friends for brunch. Our waiter was really friendly, and the food was good. Something to note is that the salads on the brunch menu are the size of side salads, where the other menu items were pretty large portions. Everyone at our table commented on how small the salad was. The rest of the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good date night in Silver SpringOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Found Scion via OpenTable and was not disappointed. Our hostess/server was excellent and our crab cakes were fantastic. Will, in all likelihood, return to sample other items.Special Features:
- SuzeFrostDined on 6/21/2014I found Scion through Open Table, looking for a Saturday night reservation. Scion's reviews were all positive and a quick look at the menu confirmed our decision. We had a great time - our server was friendly and attentive without hovering, gave suggestions for beer, wine, and food, and was knowledgeable about the menu. The food was delicious - we got the Honey Glazed Brie and the crab dip, both of which were phenomenal. My husband and I both tried the LBJ Mac and Cheese, and have found a new favorite - though next time I think we'll share. That was a huge serving! Overall very pleased with the experience, and looking forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBellaElleDined on 6/20/2014Wonderful experience! Looooooved the food and service (Lucas was great!). Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceJudyDined on 6/14/2014There were six of us on a Saturday night. Service was perfect - warm, friendly and honest. Better yet, the food was terrific. We ordered the glazed brie, fried pickles and spinach dip to start. All were really good. I usually find a spinach tip too heavy for my taste, but this one was rich without being gloopy. The brie was satisfying and tasty. My party ordered the salmon, steak au poivre with mushrooms, lobster, bacon and jalapeno mac and cheese. All were uniformly delicious. Definitely will be back. Probably my new favorite in Silver Spring.Special Features:
- They're tryingFionabertVIPDined on 5/29/2014Scallops and risotto were very good. The Caesar--not so much. The servers were friendly and attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- not recommendednwxxxxxxxVIPDined on 5/17/2014We decided to leave our area and travel to Silver Springs Scion because it was written up as a great new place. Our server was distracted at best. First she never brought a kids menu as asked. The food too forever to come and when it did I was given the wrong meal. The server had entered my dinner selection into the computer incorrectly. She offered to have the correct meal made but my family finished their meals before mine ever came. On a positive note the food was good once it was delivered.Special Features:
- Good placeempow819Dined on 5/17/2014Scion was good, but not great. Food was definitely good, but again, nothing special. Service was friendly, but a little slow. We made last-minure reservations and were given a table away from others, which was great. Would go again, but isn't necessarily a top choice.Special Features:
- PortionsSundaybrunchfortless11952Dined on 5/11/2014For the price of steak and eggs I wiil have thought the rib eye steak a better size. It looked like it had been cut in half. Look more like skirt steak While there a painting group came to set up. Felt rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood standardNataloubooVIPDined on 5/11/2014I have been here several times. The food has always been very good, very consistent. The service is the hardest to predict. Our most recent visit was for Mother's Day. The staff was clearly ready for the day and the crowds that it brings and yet somehow our table felt neglected. We were not very demanding (two waters, 1 iced tea, 1 appetizer, 3 brunch entrees) and yet the drinks took a long time and the appetizer as well. Everything tasted great and I will certainly be back. I just wish the service could be improved just a bit. The noise is always fine, you can hear the people at your table speak. They beer and wine lists are terrific and the menu is interesting. I recommend, just hope you have better service!Special Features:
- excellent dinner Saturday nightJaniceDined on 5/10/2014My husband and I had dinner at Scion this past Saturday. We had a wonderful meal. Started with "Second City River Water" cocktails. This may be our new summer drink! Vodka, lime, cucumber and cilantro - extremely refreshing. And scallops on white beans. The white beans were billed as spicy, but at first seemed a little sweet; the spice followed, but pretty mild. Husband had the crabcakes which were delish, and I had the duck pasta. Not really a warm weather dish, but I'd read someone else's rave review, and had to try it. Glad I did; it's a great dish. Ended with a piece of key lime pie in a toasted coconut crust. A perfect sweet ending to a great meal. We'll be back! Ambiance very nice; service friendly; manager came by to check on us. A+Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014Excellent vibe and very friendly/accommodating staff. Highly recommend this place to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time hereRobbieDined on 5/3/2014Having driven past it literally a hundred times, we finally dined at Scion. Parking is challenging; this section of the street is not zoned for entertainment, but it is worth the extra few hundred feet for a parking spot to stop in for dinner. The food is not extraordinary, but was very well prepared, and the menu had a number of varied selections. We will definitely return again; a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great local placeFoodieWannaBeDined on 5/2/2014The first time we tried to go Scion was closed for a private event. We went back a few days ago and are glad we gave it another try. They have a nice beer and wine menu from which to choose. Happy hour prices are a great deal. My duck ragu was outstanding. My husband's risotto was good enough that he'd have it again, but he agreed my meal was stellar. Our waitress was friendly, helpful, happy, and knowledgable. No complaints - definitely worth the short walk from our apartment.Special Features:
- Great foodEricVIPDined on 4/5/2014I had the LBJ Mac & Cheese. Service was really fast. It was not crowded when we were there but definitely seems like a place that will be hard to get a reservation at in the future.Special Features:
- Nice spot in Silver SpringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2014I had a great time at Scion. Great beer list(even though two kegs had kicked), good food (the garlic herb fries were great). I would go back sometime later in the summer.Special Features:
- Not yet ready for prime-timeMichaelVIPDined on 3/30/2014Familiar with the Dupont Circle Scion, this Silver Spring setting - though much less hectic with better parking options - was a disappointment. Apparently, brunch is a new thing for them. There is no table of cut fruit and other goodies, yet. So everything is strictly off the menu. Initial server seemed to have been given an apron that day (didn't know the menu). Second server was charming but our order got mixed up. When my omelette finally arrived it was great. The brie appetizer was skimpy for two and not particularly tasty. So: they have a long way to go to measure up to Dupont Circle. Keep trying... fast.
- EnjoyedCarlyDined on 3/29/2014We went on a Saturday night. They were not crowded. Most of the food was delicious. The croquette appetizer wasn't that great. However, the burger and the risotto were delicious! I think the place was missing a bit of charm though, but otherwise enjoyable experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Placekersky22Dined on 3/29/2014The food was good and the atmosphere was relaxed. It was a nice find on a busy Saturday night when we didn't want to wait more than an hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotAyeshaVIPDined on 3/27/2014My only real complaint is that the server initially forgot to enter my order so it took my entree a little long to arrive. However, as soon as she realized her mistake, she alerted a manager who ensured my food came out as quickly as possible. It wasn't a huge deal because I was hanging out with an old friend and we were in no rush, but for someone else that could have been quite the imposition. Food was yummy and both happy hour wines are well worth the 5 bucks a glass. Would return in a heart beat.Special Features: