Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
400 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.schoonersmonterey.com/
- Phone: 8313722628x
- Hours of Operation:
Sorry for any inconvience, but we do not accept any reservations during our breakfast and lunch hours. Reservations for dinner begin at 5:30pm.
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 12:00pm
Monday-Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Monday-Sunday : 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: James Waller
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full Sail Catering is a division of Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Our goal is to bring our fine dining experience to a location of your choice. Whether it is a strolling reception under the starry sky, a bountiful buffet at a breath taking vineyard or a delicious plated meal at your private residence, we can create an elegant affair for you.
- Special Events: We offer exclusive buffets with breathtaking views of the Monterey Bay in celebration of Easter, Mother's Day and Thanksgiving.
A word from Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, suspended over the waters of Monterey Bay, is a stunning restaurant featuring sustainable seafood and approachable, contemporary American cuisine. The ideal location for celebrating the Central Coast and the spectacular coastal region, Executive Chef Waller's commitment to fresh, sustainable seafood is reflected in the creative menu which features a variety of seafood options, both raw and cooked, as well as appetizers, soups, salads, large platters meant for sharing, and wood-fired dishes. A creative cocktail menu is served alongside an impressive wine list highlighting Monterey County vintners. The high-energy bar, bustling open kitchen, and dramatic outdoor patio personifies a relaxed, fun and joyous atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (112)special occasion (69)romantic (55)great for outdoor dining (39)fit for foodies (31)notable wine list (26)good for groups (20)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (15)hot spot (9)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)Show More
- I WANT IT TO BE BETTEROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Schooners is located on the Monterey Bay side of the Monterey Plaza Hotel. The views are spectacular and the overall décor of the restaurant is very nice. For the most part the food is excellent to very good. I feel that there could be a little improvement here and there. I would have to say that the wait staff service can be hit and miss. We had very good service for breakfast but a little lack luster for dinner. By lack luster I mean that they were slow in their responsiveness and a little forgetful. They offered a dark napkin for my wife since she was wearing dark pants but it never showed up.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great dinner and our waitress was fantasticSpecial Features:
- High hopes, poor serviceJeffDined on 8/21/2014We were on vacation and found that many folks recommended this restaurant. We arrived a bit early and were sent to the bar to get a drink. We were pretty much ignored by the waitress who seemed to be walking around aimlessly. When we were seated for dinner (inside), we noticed that the table came up to our necks. We looked and discovered that we had been seated at a handicap accessible table, even though none of us is handicapped. We looked around and saw dozens of empty tables. We asked to be moved. The place seems to be run by amateurs. The food was good, but not worth the price.
- Schooners Coastal KitchenEsticDined on 8/20/2014The view was excellent, the food was good, and the service a little slow. We had a reservation for 7:15 to catch the sunset, but weren't seated until after 7:30. We started with Angry Prawns. Don't know where they got the name from because even though it's listed as cooked with chili, they were not spicy. For entrees we had Seared Mahi Mahi which was baked not seared and Grilled Swordfish. Both had different sides from what was listed on the menu. Strange but still delicious. We also ordered a side of Baked Artichokes which were super tasty! Overall I would recommend this place because the views were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Anniversary DinnerNevadaroamanceDined on 8/20/2014We were there on Aug. 20th for our 59th Wedding Anniversary dinner, neither one of us cared for the too loud background music. Jazz did seem appropriate for an anniversary celebration! The tables are VERY close together and one woman next to us talked loudly during her entire dinner, by the end of dinner, we knew her entire life story! The restaurant did present us with a very nice surprise dessert and champagne to celebrate our anniversary. I would NOT consider this a location for a romantic dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good for vegetariansEsther1958VIPDined on 8/20/2014We looked at the online menu to make sure that there were some vegetarian choices before making a reservation here. The actual menu was different from the online menu, and had no vegetarian entree choices. I was encouraged to take the (off the menu) "chef's vegetable platter" and I did, receiving a platter of steamed vegetables, primarily cauliflower, with no seasoning. There were no items containing significant protein (no beans, grains, nuts, cheese, etc.) The service at the restaurant was very slow, and our waiter rarely made an appearance. The restaurant is beautifully situated over the water, and we enjoyed the view and our time together, but would have liked the food to be a little more special, especially considering the price.Special Features:
- Great for our anniversaryGHS88Dined on 8/17/2014We booked with them for our first anniversary. The food was great and the waiter really Nice too. Would recommend, if only it was not this expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SchoonersATLBudDined on 8/14/2014Hard to get a more perfect view of Monterey Bay than from Schooners. The swordfish was cooked perfectly as was the filet my son had. Service was timely and very friendly. I would definitely recommend Schooners to anyone traveling in the Monterey area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very, Very, Good!Lee33919Dined on 8/13/2014Expansive, creative menu, excellent service and a magnificent view!Special Features:
- What a disappointmentTCNCVIPDined on 8/10/2014Had to wait to get in even though it wasn't busy. We had reservations. Took a long time to get served and then food came out cold. Ordered something else same thing happened. After spending two hours there we just left
- Excellent food and serviceSussexWolfDined on 8/9/2014Stayed a couple of nights in Monterey and ate at Schooners the first night. The quality of the fish and meat was excellent, and the portions well sized. Really good service from the waiter, who was friendly and knowledgeable, and even suggested our kids share a starter as their mains would be large. My wife and I had an excellent local Sav Blanc to accompany, which went down a treat as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horriblejustbad12Dined on 8/9/2014Too expensive. Tasteless food. Horrible selection of wines and beers. Service was less than adequate for a restaurant of this level. Web site needs updating.
- good food, service needs tuneupMrMoorayVIPDined on 8/7/2014We ate there on a Thursday evening after the dinner rush. Ordered a cocktail and a bottle of Barolo. Cocktail came followed by server with a bottle of Pinot Grigio (i.e., not even close). Sent off in search of the request, came back much later to report no Barolo in the cellar. Ordered a Merlot instead, server brought back Cabernet. It should not be this hard ... Food arrived much more slowly than seemed appropriate, but at least was worthy of the price. Setting is lovely, but the sun needs to be up to appreciate it fully!
- A Very Good Hotel Dining ExperiencerichieDined on 8/7/2014We did not stay at the hotel where this restaurant is located. We went purely for the dining experience, which was very good. The setting is beautiful. The view is stupendous. The waiter was fine, although his recommendations were not as good as he professed them to be. The farm to table price fixe was excellent. The ala carte selections a little less so, but still very good. Nice wine list-- deep and fairly reasonable pricing. As hotel restaurant dining experiences go, it was a good choice.Special Features:
- DeliciousseafooderDined on 8/7/2014Very nice first class place. the waiter was great and though the prices are high what you get is awesome!Special Features:
- mikeDined on 8/4/2014We celebrated our daughter's 21st birthday. We were seated at a table with a spectacular view. The service was impeccable and really pulled out all the stops for our daughter's birthday. We ordered salads and chowder. I had the burrata and heirloom salad. excellent flavor and presentation. All the rest of my family ordered the chowder. We enjoyed our steaks and lobster, choppino and pastas. We opted not to have desserts but they surprised us with a plate of fresh chcolate dipped strawberries, ice cream and glasses of champagne. Such a wonderful surprise. I love eating lunch here and will certainly go back for dinner. Just an FYI...free valet parking for two hours!Special Features:
- Disappointed with entreeLoveSeafoodDined on 8/3/2014My wife and I ordered Filet mignon and lobster for two ($85) and the couple we were with had swordfish and Ahi . The Filet was cold and the lobster over-cooked and the other couple had mushy tuna and sword fish he called bland. I'm afraid I won't be recommending this restaurant as it's menu is extensive but the food was not that good.Special Features:
- dinner with a viewsteverinoDined on 8/2/2014Always great food, fantastic view of the bay, right on the water. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodBigiDined on 8/1/2014We habe chosen the Restaurant because of good ratings but it was better then what we had expected! Everything was Absolutely excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back for more!diningdivaDined on 7/30/2014Really enjoyed this restaurant on a lovely summer evening recently. Except for the décor (which is generic coastal themed), the service, wine selection, and especially the food was perfect. Tried the special "wine with dinner" option that featured 3 courses paired with 3 glasses of wine. My dining partner elected to order off of the regular menu and was pleased with course selections and quality of the food. Service was attentive but not overly intrusive. Enjoyed beautiful water views and definitely plan to return for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerMontereyBayDined on 7/30/2014Took my Mom for her 76th birthday. We really enjoyed the experience. We had a great table with a view of the yacht races (Wednesday nights from April to October). We both had sea bass topped with crab meat -- excellent. The chef paired this with a nice local Chardonnay. Restaurant treated us to champagne with fresh raspberries and dark chocolate dipped strawberries for the celebration. For an appetizer we shared the oysters - also wonderful. I've had breakfast here before and it was equally great.Special Features:
- Schooners coastal kitchen and barSmithsrockDined on 7/29/2014We had a lovely meal during our stay at the Monterey Plaza. We had a table by the window looking out to sea. The menu was very good including gluten free which was fantastic. The wine list was excellent too with local wines too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CioppinosteakloverVIPDined on 7/27/2014Some of the best Cioppino I have ever had. Great room and view. Our waitress was great.Special Features:
- Great location...Not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014I had eaten at this spot earlier in the summer. I love the open dining with views of the bay. That night I also had good service and a charming waitress. This time, however, everything worked out well until an almost hour wait in between the app and main course (we ordered the special seasonal menu). By the time we got our food it was dark and an encroaching boisterous bar crowd was lingering by the heat lamps around our table. We had to order our dessert to go. The waitress did tip off my wine glass, but otherwise the management did not offer us any gestures to compensate for our evening. I would also suggest to the management to control the bar crowd so it doesn't spill out into the space of the diners.Special Features:
- Great treatTravelingDinerVIPDined on 7/24/2014Arrived from the Eastcoast and enjoyed excellent service and very good food. Wait staff was outstanding and made the evening a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner and equally nice viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/22/2014Nice dinner first night in Monterey. Friendly and accommodating service. Had full glasses of water throughout the evening. Our daughter's spill was quickly cleaned up. Great place for family, group or couple. Quiet and lovely views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AthensDined on 7/21/2014We had dinner at Schooners the first night we stayed at Monterey Plaza. We were very pleased with the service and the food was excellent! Could not ask for a better meal or a better view!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentwolvesDined on 7/21/2014great experience excellent food great place flexible with menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Locationdine4funDined on 7/20/2014A wonderful evening spent on the water. However the restaurat is not clearly signed from the street. Had to ask a porter of the Plaza hotel where it was only to discover its part of it. Food great except they had run out of lobster by 8pm and so we couldn"t have the proper surf and turf. However all this was forgotten when we spotted a sea otter in the water right by the restaurant. My boys were given binoculars to look out and we had a table by the water - definately recommended. An unforgettable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?JamieGDined on 7/18/2014The first time I enjoyed Schooners was on my honeymoon (Oct 2011) and it was pure bliss. The food was amazing the service was top notch and the view was to die for. Since then I have returned with my husband twice more. Once being May of this year (same outstanding experience) and then most recently this past week in July. This visit we were greeted with the same superior service staff but the food fell flat. I am not sure if it was just an off night for the kitchen but having made a 2 hour drive just to dine here to have such a disappointing meal was upsetting to say the least. We will give Schooners another chance as the sea bass Blt is out of this world, however I have some concern over the drastic change of quality in two short months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing seafood restaurant!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014Absolutely amazing seafood, definitely one of the best seafood restaurant. The muscles and seafood chiopino were fabulous!! Beautiful views and friendly stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!Tracy44Dined on 7/17/2014Our server was very attentive to all of our needs! The food, wine and overall experience here was top notch! At the end of dinner they bring chocolate covered strawberries to the table! Great, classy touch! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- eatnowDined on 7/15/2014I love this restaurant. We have eaten here at dinner 5 times and is consistently good. The breakfast is the hidden gem. We normally do not eat breakfast but it came with the room at the Monterey Plaza (one of our favorite hotels anywhere). Go early and you have the place and views to yourself along with a finely prepared traditional breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRubyredDined on 7/12/2014Loved the out door view over looking the ocean it was a great place to dine food was delicious and the waiters were very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodPetitDined on 7/12/2014Excellent food and very nice waiters. Great for childrens and lovely view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good OverallSunDevil1Dined on 7/11/2014Overall I did not have a negative experience at Schooners. The food was good and the seafood was fresh. I would highly recommend the stuffed lobster and filet. The restaurant doubles as the hotel bar so you get a bit of loud vacationer in the background but nothing too annoying. Our waitress wasn't bad or negative, just seemed to be having an off day (hey it happens to the best of us). To be fair, I have eaten here twice and the first time was great, clearly since I booked there again. I have a hard time dinging a place for a staff member who wasn't unfriendly or negative, but as you would normally be eating here on a special occasion or while on vacation anything less than ideal can feel amplified.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KKluv2eatVIPDined on 7/11/2014I had reserved our party at least a month beforehand, and upon arriving at the restaurant, I found both the dining room AND the outside patio to be full and reserved. Our party started out at 4 people, then doubled to 8, so it was a large party. Our reservations were for 5:30, we arrived at 5pm only to be told the inside dining area was totally reserved, as was the patio! Previously, I had been told I could have my choice of seating, depending on the weather, either inside or out. I thought that was great. Upon arriving, I was told we should not have been offered both options and both areas were booked. Therefore, we were seated at 2 circular tables for 8 people on the deck, making talking very difficult and separating our parties.
- Great ServiceSina86Dined on 7/8/2014We really enjoyed our dinner with a fantastic view of the sea. The service was outstanding and the food (seasonal menu) was very delious. We definetely can recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great servers and hostsNatereviews2Dined on 7/5/2014I came with my family for breakfast and dinner and enjoyed both very much. Breakfast was great loved the fruit bowls and fruit drinks. Dinner was good alil noisy not overwhelming though. If ordering a steak when asked how you want it cooked clarify with the waiter what style is what because I my father thought medium was cooked with alil pink but it turned out there was way more pink. I got well done and it turned out great. Portions are amazing by the way! And sides are good. Definitely have great steaks, fish, I and pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter was overzealousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2014We had a waiter that was very overzealous. I understand the up-sell but, he wouldn't take no for an answer. When we didn't order a cocktail it was obvious that he was disinterested with our table. We placed our order and then didn't see him for quite some time. The food was great! We did not order a bottled water and when my husbands "regular" water was empty he asked if he would like more water and he brought a Calistoga (?) bottle... That we never ordered in the first place and then charged us for it.... We saw it but at this point we decided to just pay for the bottle and move on.... He kept trying to sell us desert we said no several times and he still kept insisting .... It got really annoying!Special Features: