Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
400 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.schoonersmonterey.com/
- Phone: 8313722628x
- Hours of Operation:
Sorry for any inconvience, but we do not accept any reservations during our breakfast and lunch hours. Reservations for dinner begin at 5:30pm.
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 12:00pm
Monday-Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Monday-Sunday : 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: James Waller
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full Sail Catering is a division of Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Our goal is to bring our fine dining experience to a location of your choice. Whether it is a strolling reception under the starry sky, a bountiful buffet at a breath taking vineyard or a delicious plated meal at your private residence, we can create an elegant affair for you.
- Special Events: We offer exclusive buffets with breathtaking views of the Monterey Bay in celebration of Easter, Mother's Day and Thanksgiving.
A word from Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, suspended over the waters of Monterey Bay, is a stunning restaurant featuring sustainable seafood and approachable, contemporary American cuisine. The ideal location for celebrating the Central Coast and the spectacular coastal region, Executive Chef Waller's commitment to fresh, sustainable seafood is reflected in the creative menu which features a variety of seafood options, both raw and cooked, as well as appetizers, soups, salads, large platters meant for sharing, and wood-fired dishes. A creative cocktail menu is served alongside an impressive wine list highlighting Monterey County vintners. The high-energy bar, bustling open kitchen, and dramatic outdoor patio personifies a relaxed, fun and joyous atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (98)special occasion (57)romantic (51)great for outdoor dining (35)fit for foodies (27)notable wine list (23)kid-friendly (16)good for groups (15)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (13)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- a wonderful evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014My family & I had a great time at Schooners. Edgar was our server, very attentive and made delicious suggestions. We enjoyed a few dishes to share and it was the perfect amount of food. It seemed like a busy night, but watching the staff, all the guests (including us) were given individualized care. The chocolate brownie was heaven!!! MUST TRY. The only thing I'd mention is bring a sweater, it was very chilly in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- redrahDined on 9/25/2014As usual, we enjoyed our entire dining experience and especially, the view. We have watched changes over the years and now, it is a consistent "go to" place and we love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine list needs some work.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/25/2014Decent food, decent service not too decent wine list. Most of the wines are so old school. Nothing appealing to the eye. California offers amazing new wine styles/varietals and the place gets stucked on old school wines. Bring your own wine if you dont care for over the top style wines.Special Features:
- Loved it except...CaligirlDined on 9/23/2014Food was great and server was friendly. However the person who take empty plates was noisy. I had clam chowder and sea food pasta and my husband had a salad and stake. Mine was fantastic, but it wasn't enough portion for a guy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated Denny's style placeTripperDined on 9/21/2014A well located restaurant attached to a nice hotel has a disappointing delivery. The service, food and atmosphere or more like a Denny's. Although fully priced, the food is plain and unimaginative.Special Features:
- Schooners aye, mates!edpdxDined on 9/20/2014Wife and I went for an anniversary dinner. Had a drink at the bar while waiting for our reserved table. Our host said he'd have our one drink tab follow us. The ban man gently insisted we settle before taking our drinks. The waiters and servers were top shelf. Food damned fine. Excellent ambiance. Go there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middle of the roadAFoodDined on 9/19/2014Dungeness crab on special board. We asked where is it on menus? Oh, in cippino, for example. When the soup arrived with Alaskan King crab , we asked where the dungeness crab was Reply: "Oh, you want some? I can get it". That's as far as we got. Food pretty ordinary, fish overlooked and potatoes barely warm. Beautiful view, relaxing environment.Special Features:
- Service and Food Quality LackingPeterDined on 9/13/2014Service- Water glasses not refilled ever, empty Cocktail glasses on the table for the entire 2.5 hours, appetizer plates on table most of the night, empty wine bottle on table the entire night; clearly no one cared. Food - Ex. the steaks, everything was, as expected, good. All three steaks were absolutely terrible. Three steaks (two fillets as part of the surf & turf) were deeply charred/burned and were not edible and were left on plates mainly untouched but the staff could not have cared. It was an anniversary dinner so we did not want to ruin our time by complaining. Clearly no one in management was overseeing the nightly table service as it would have been obvious that something was very wrong.Special Features:
- Noisy and Blown away by Air condTommybDined on 9/13/2014Food and service was good - no complaints However we had to change table 3 Times' to get away from Cold Air in our heads/neck, but still not acceptabel Noise lever from Air condition was frustratingly high, and noise level from people in the restaurant was so high it was impossible to speak across the table. We could Hardly hear the voice of the waitress While ordering When complaining afterwards, we got a free breakfast as compensationSpecial Features:
- BeautifulDanaVIPDined on 9/10/2014We loved this restaurant. It had great service, farm to table food, and beautiful views of Monterrey Bay. Cant't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Monterey's best.luvgreatfoodDined on 9/9/2014Outstanding location, ambience, food and best of all attentive service by our hostess and server Sarda. Views at sunset were great. Not a bad seat in the house. Our 40th wedding anniversary dinner could not have been more perfect. The filet mignon wrapped in bacon with angry prawns is one of the best meals ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexasTwoStepTexasTwoStepDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Schooners. They accommodated all our special requests for my husbands BDay celebration. The service was excellent and food was superior. Would recommend and will return if we visit Monterey again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014We has farm to table menu. The coq au vin was soooo salty! The veggies were soaked in salt! Also it was my husbands birthday and I had specifically asked for candle on his dessert but they forgot or claimed they didn't see the request. Ruined the moment.Special Features:
- Outstanding777flygirlDined on 9/2/2014The service was outstanding and the food fabulous. Had filet mignon and lobster with a side of mash potatoes and aspargus. Roland our waiter was exceptional.Special Features:
- I WANT IT TO BE BETTERWallyDined on 8/25/2014Schooners is located on the Monterey Bay side of the Monterey Plaza Hotel. The views are spectacular and the overall décor of the restaurant is very nice. For the most part the food is excellent to very good. I feel that there could be a little improvement here and there. I would have to say that the wait staff service can be hit and miss. We had very good service for breakfast but a little lack luster for dinner. By lack luster I mean that they were slow in their responsiveness and a little forgetful. They offered a dark napkin for my wife since she was wearing dark pants but it never showed up.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great dinner and our waitress was fantasticSpecial Features:
- High hopes, poor serviceJeffDined on 8/21/2014We were on vacation and found that many folks recommended this restaurant. We arrived a bit early and were sent to the bar to get a drink. We were pretty much ignored by the waitress who seemed to be walking around aimlessly. When we were seated for dinner (inside), we noticed that the table came up to our necks. We looked and discovered that we had been seated at a handicap accessible table, even though none of us is handicapped. We looked around and saw dozens of empty tables. We asked to be moved. The place seems to be run by amateurs. The food was good, but not worth the price.
- Schooners Coastal KitchenEsticDined on 8/20/2014The view was excellent, the food was good, and the service a little slow. We had a reservation for 7:15 to catch the sunset, but weren't seated until after 7:30. We started with Angry Prawns. Don't know where they got the name from because even though it's listed as cooked with chili, they were not spicy. For entrees we had Seared Mahi Mahi which was baked not seared and Grilled Swordfish. Both had different sides from what was listed on the menu. Strange but still delicious. We also ordered a side of Baked Artichokes which were super tasty! Overall I would recommend this place because the views were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Anniversary DinnerNevadaroamanceDined on 8/20/2014We were there on Aug. 20th for our 59th Wedding Anniversary dinner, neither one of us cared for the too loud background music. Jazz did seem appropriate for an anniversary celebration! The tables are VERY close together and one woman next to us talked loudly during her entire dinner, by the end of dinner, we knew her entire life story! The restaurant did present us with a very nice surprise dessert and champagne to celebrate our anniversary. I would NOT consider this a location for a romantic dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good for vegetariansEsther1958VIPDined on 8/20/2014We looked at the online menu to make sure that there were some vegetarian choices before making a reservation here. The actual menu was different from the online menu, and had no vegetarian entree choices. I was encouraged to take the (off the menu) "chef's vegetable platter" and I did, receiving a platter of steamed vegetables, primarily cauliflower, with no seasoning. There were no items containing significant protein (no beans, grains, nuts, cheese, etc.) The service at the restaurant was very slow, and our waiter rarely made an appearance. The restaurant is beautifully situated over the water, and we enjoyed the view and our time together, but would have liked the food to be a little more special, especially considering the price.Special Features:
- Great for our anniversaryGHS88Dined on 8/17/2014We booked with them for our first anniversary. The food was great and the waiter really Nice too. Would recommend, if only it was not this expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ViewPregoDined on 8/14/2014We were in the area for the Pebble Beach Concours and felt lucky to get a 7:00 pm reservation. We had a terrific table next to the windows and watched otters at play while waiting for our food. The Angry Prawns were disappointing as they weren't the least bit spicy. However, our Black Cod with heirloom tomato butter, olive tapanade and mashed potatoes, paired with a Hahn Pinot was delicious. Our waitress was initially attentive but as the restaurant became more crowded we had a bit of a wait for the check.Special Features:
- SchoonersATLBudDined on 8/14/2014Hard to get a more perfect view of Monterey Bay than from Schooners. The swordfish was cooked perfectly as was the filet my son had. Service was timely and very friendly. I would definitely recommend Schooners to anyone traveling in the Monterey area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very, Very, Good!Lee33919Dined on 8/13/2014Expansive, creative menu, excellent service and a magnificent view!Special Features:
- What a disappointmentTCNCVIPDined on 8/10/2014Had to wait to get in even though it wasn't busy. We had reservations. Took a long time to get served and then food came out cold. Ordered something else same thing happened. After spending two hours there we just left
- Excellent food and serviceSussexWolfDined on 8/9/2014Stayed a couple of nights in Monterey and ate at Schooners the first night. The quality of the fish and meat was excellent, and the portions well sized. Really good service from the waiter, who was friendly and knowledgeable, and even suggested our kids share a starter as their mains would be large. My wife and I had an excellent local Sav Blanc to accompany, which went down a treat as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horriblejustbad12Dined on 8/9/2014Too expensive. Tasteless food. Horrible selection of wines and beers. Service was less than adequate for a restaurant of this level. Web site needs updating.
- good food, service needs tuneupMrMoorayVIPDined on 8/7/2014We ate there on a Thursday evening after the dinner rush. Ordered a cocktail and a bottle of Barolo. Cocktail came followed by server with a bottle of Pinot Grigio (i.e., not even close). Sent off in search of the request, came back much later to report no Barolo in the cellar. Ordered a Merlot instead, server brought back Cabernet. It should not be this hard ... Food arrived much more slowly than seemed appropriate, but at least was worthy of the price. Setting is lovely, but the sun needs to be up to appreciate it fully!
- A Very Good Hotel Dining ExperiencerichieDined on 8/7/2014We did not stay at the hotel where this restaurant is located. We went purely for the dining experience, which was very good. The setting is beautiful. The view is stupendous. The waiter was fine, although his recommendations were not as good as he professed them to be. The farm to table price fixe was excellent. The ala carte selections a little less so, but still very good. Nice wine list-- deep and fairly reasonable pricing. As hotel restaurant dining experiences go, it was a good choice.Special Features:
- DeliciousseafooderDined on 8/7/2014Very nice first class place. the waiter was great and though the prices are high what you get is awesome!Special Features:
- mikeDined on 8/4/2014We celebrated our daughter's 21st birthday. We were seated at a table with a spectacular view. The service was impeccable and really pulled out all the stops for our daughter's birthday. We ordered salads and chowder. I had the burrata and heirloom salad. excellent flavor and presentation. All the rest of my family ordered the chowder. We enjoyed our steaks and lobster, choppino and pastas. We opted not to have desserts but they surprised us with a plate of fresh chcolate dipped strawberries, ice cream and glasses of champagne. Such a wonderful surprise. I love eating lunch here and will certainly go back for dinner. Just an FYI...free valet parking for two hours!Special Features:
- Disappointed with entreeLoveSeafoodDined on 8/3/2014My wife and I ordered Filet mignon and lobster for two ($85) and the couple we were with had swordfish and Ahi . The Filet was cold and the lobster over-cooked and the other couple had mushy tuna and sword fish he called bland. I'm afraid I won't be recommending this restaurant as it's menu is extensive but the food was not that good.Special Features:
- dinner with a viewsteverinoDined on 8/2/2014Always great food, fantastic view of the bay, right on the water. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodBigiDined on 8/1/2014We habe chosen the Restaurant because of good ratings but it was better then what we had expected! Everything was Absolutely excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back for more!diningdivaDined on 7/30/2014Really enjoyed this restaurant on a lovely summer evening recently. Except for the décor (which is generic coastal themed), the service, wine selection, and especially the food was perfect. Tried the special "wine with dinner" option that featured 3 courses paired with 3 glasses of wine. My dining partner elected to order off of the regular menu and was pleased with course selections and quality of the food. Service was attentive but not overly intrusive. Enjoyed beautiful water views and definitely plan to return for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerMontereyBayDined on 7/30/2014Took my Mom for her 76th birthday. We really enjoyed the experience. We had a great table with a view of the yacht races (Wednesday nights from April to October). We both had sea bass topped with crab meat -- excellent. The chef paired this with a nice local Chardonnay. Restaurant treated us to champagne with fresh raspberries and dark chocolate dipped strawberries for the celebration. For an appetizer we shared the oysters - also wonderful. I've had breakfast here before and it was equally great.Special Features:
- Schooners coastal kitchen and barSmithsrockDined on 7/29/2014We had a lovely meal during our stay at the Monterey Plaza. We had a table by the window looking out to sea. The menu was very good including gluten free which was fantastic. The wine list was excellent too with local wines too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CioppinosteakloverVIPDined on 7/27/2014Some of the best Cioppino I have ever had. Great room and view. Our waitress was great.Special Features:
- Great location...Not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014I had eaten at this spot earlier in the summer. I love the open dining with views of the bay. That night I also had good service and a charming waitress. This time, however, everything worked out well until an almost hour wait in between the app and main course (we ordered the special seasonal menu). By the time we got our food it was dark and an encroaching boisterous bar crowd was lingering by the heat lamps around our table. We had to order our dessert to go. The waitress did tip off my wine glass, but otherwise the management did not offer us any gestures to compensate for our evening. I would also suggest to the management to control the bar crowd so it doesn't spill out into the space of the diners.Special Features:
- Great treatTravelingDinerVIPDined on 7/24/2014Arrived from the Eastcoast and enjoyed excellent service and very good food. Wait staff was outstanding and made the evening a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.