Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
400 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.schoonersmonterey.com/
- Phone: (831) 372-2628
- Hours of Operation:
Sorry for any inconvience, but we do not accept any reservations during our weekend breakfast and lunch hours. Reservations for dinner begin at 5:30pm.
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 12:00pm
Monday-Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Monday-Sunday : 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: James Waller
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full Sail Catering is a division of Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Our goal is to bring our fine dining experience to a location of your choice. Whether it is a strolling reception under the starry sky, a bountiful buffet at a breath taking vineyard or a delicious plated meal at your private residence, we can create an elegant affair for you.
- Special Events: We offer exclusive buffets with breathtaking views of the Monterey Bay in celebration of Easter, Mother's Day and Thanksgiving.
A word from Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, suspended over the waters of Monterey Bay, is a stunning restaurant featuring sustainable seafood and approachable, contemporary American cuisine. The ideal location for celebrating the Central Coast and the spectacular coastal region, Executive Chef Waller's commitment to fresh, sustainable seafood is reflected in the creative menu which features a variety of seafood options, both raw and cooked, as well as appetizers, soups, salads, large platters meant for sharing, and wood-fired dishes. A creative cocktail menu is served alongside an impressive wine list highlighting Monterey County vintners. The high-energy bar, bustling open kitchen, and dramatic outdoor patio personifies a relaxed, fun and joyous atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (87)special occasion (55)romantic (49)great for outdoor dining (33)notable wine list (24)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (12)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)Show More
- Worth searching outMaxwellVIPDined on 11/24/2014We always send a personal note to the restaurant when making an OT reservation. Schooners obviously read our note because we received a "Happy Anniversary" greeting. If you're a mussels fan, the appetizer is large enough to make a meal on, especially if you order a soup (my wife ordered their lobster bisque) to go with it. The view is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceChristinedm807VIPDined on 11/22/2014Definitely one of the better options in Monterrey. It was a struggle to find a good quality foodie spot and while I wouldn't qualify this as a foodie gem, the food was still good and the service was great. Dining with the waves crashing over the railing was also a nice plus- can't get closer than that to the ocean :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood!CioppinoDined on 11/22/2014The food was excellent, along with the ambiance and service. The price is high, but the food lives up to it's name. We shared the cioppino (seafood soup) and were extremely pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view by day and relaxing by nightCricriFoodieDined on 11/16/2014For seafood lover, it was very fresh. Loved the romantic ambiance by the window. Would have like to have a nice place outside as you can see and hear the sea and there was some heater. Would go back and nice view on the sea and Santa Cruz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceWblackbuDined on 11/11/2014This was a birthday dinner for one of us and we were treated extraordinarily well. The Cioppino was to die for and the swordfish was wonderful too. The service was excellent. I can't say enough about this restaurant. We would come back any time.Special Features:
- Good food, loud dining roomFeedMeSeymourDined on 11/9/2014Picked this for a nice dinner for two, but dining room noise loud enough we had to try to be heard above it. Dinner was quite nice anyway. Would do this again at lunch, when the view would be...viewable. Minor mistake was corrected quickly and multiple staff checked on the correction. Very friendly waitress, and huge desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big disappontmentrluv4foodVIPDined on 11/8/2014we use to go to this restaurant every year in novemeber when it was called the Duck Club; we have since tried it twice sine it changed to Schooner"s and both times Disappointed!! Food and service was good both times but when we made reservations and requested certain things, sadly they never accommodated. And the noise level this time was awful!Special Features:
- best seat in the houseCiCiDined on 11/6/2014great patio. Superb squash soup and unusual mac n cheese. A pleaseant experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerTomasDined on 11/5/2014Everything great. Perhaps one remark...Not easy to find the restaurant if not hotel guest.Special Features:
- disappointedgochicagoDined on 11/1/2014I had such high hopes for this place because the menu looked delicious! We ordered small plates to share. The angry shrimp was mediocre...I've had better at chain restaurants in Chicago. The seasoning of the scallops was uninspiring and the endive salad had little taste. Then we ordered mussels and again, it was very unoriginal. The flavor was off. Granted, everything was very fresh. Overall, we wanted one spectacular seafood meal while in Monterey and sadly, it was disappointing. The view would have been a winner but we went for dinner and it was dark by then. I'd try another place for a memorable meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014It was My Wife Birth Day and we will definitely be back every Year as this was the best overall experience we had in quiet some time....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannery Row ExperienceJeffDined on 10/31/2014Found Schooners on Cannery Row on a recent short trip to visit Monterey and the aquarium. Incredible setting with windows opening onto the bay. Very creative menu. Wine selection was wonderful. Mixed drink was great. Seafood special, while tasty, was served slightly lukewarm. This plus the price keep this rating to a "3 stars". Would have been "4 stars" if seafood special (for two) had been served hot. Our server was delightful, top notch.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014I took my wife to dinner at Schooners for her 40th birthday during our vacation in Monteray. When I made the reservation, I noted it was her birthday. Also during the day I received a confirmation call. At that point I reminded the hostess of the birthday. She said it is noted & "they will do something special." I wasn't looking for a handout just for them to wish her a happy birthday. We were seated...nothing. Waiter came...nothing. Food came...nothing. Dessert...nothing. Check came...nothing. Very disappointed in my experience. The food was good but overshadowed by lack of acknowledgement . Service was slow but think it was our waiter & not the norm.Special Features:
- OK but not very specialmaddieDined on 10/25/2014The staff were very polite but the evening menu has very little choice. No salad, no fillets of fresh local fish. Also the menu inside the restaurant is completely different to the one on the wall outside which frankly looked more appetizing. I had told them that it was my husband's birthday beforehand but they didn't do or say anything and having asked questions about the range of the menu, I didn't feel comfortable raising this point. Overall a disappointment for the money.Special Features:
- Worth the PriceBD41Dined on 10/25/2014Superb service, excellent food, great view and super convenient. Doesn't get much better.Special Features:
- luvtoeatDined on 10/21/2014We had an excellent dinner at Schooners Coastal Kitchen. The menu was well explained by our server as well as selections from the featured menu that were also available ala carte. Food presentation was awesome, and food was hot and delicious. The timing of each course made for an enjoyable and relaxing dinner. I highly recommend the Lobster Shepherd Pie, Pumpkin Bisque and Apple Blueberry Pie in a jar for dessert. This restaurant is the place if you're looking for excellent food, a quiet and serene ambiance and beautiful bay views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehrespect306Dined on 10/17/2014Too expensive, service was below average. Food wasn't bad. Did not feel like I got what I paid forSpecial Features:
- Just mehbcelaya79Dined on 10/11/2014Great location & views. The staff was very accommodating and rarely did a drink go unrefilled or basket of bread go unreplinished (a major reason we left a 20% cash tip). The main let downs were in the food. For starters I had a clam chowder & my date had the wedge salad. I have no doubt the soup had clams & the base was well prepared, but it lacked the body of a proper chowder (weak roux, enough salt but no pepper). The wedge salad (2 ways?) was adequate but again the dressing was dull & the shredded side salad was overdressed. For mains, we had the lobster & filet mignon. Again, underseasoned steaks were a letdown (accompanying sauce did help). Stuffed lobster was fine, but why try to ruin something that is already good by stuffing it?Special Features:
- New Favorite Restaurant in MontereyNovBirthdayCoupleDined on 10/11/2014I never leave reviews, but this place definitely deserves one! Came here for my boyfriends birthday, and we were not disappointed. We received complimentary birthday glasses of champagne as soon as we sat down and our waiter Dominick was fantastic. Great food, great environment, great service, will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/11/2014Dinner was great... We also had breakfast the next morning and service was lackingSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant, great food...GcstDined on 10/6/2014But I wouldn't recommend it to people searching for a romantic night out. The kitchen noise in the restaurant was really too much. All the rest was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014My family & I had a great time at Schooners. Edgar was our server, very attentive and made delicious suggestions. We enjoyed a few dishes to share and it was the perfect amount of food. It seemed like a busy night, but watching the staff, all the guests (including us) were given individualized care. The chocolate brownie was heaven!!! MUST TRY. The only thing I'd mention is bring a sweater, it was very chilly in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- redrahDined on 9/25/2014As usual, we enjoyed our entire dining experience and especially, the view. We have watched changes over the years and now, it is a consistent "go to" place and we love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine list needs some work.ManuelVIPDined on 9/25/2014Decent food, decent service not too decent wine list. Most of the wines are so old school. Nothing appealing to the eye. California offers amazing new wine styles/varietals and the place gets stucked on old school wines. Bring your own wine if you dont care for over the top style wines.Special Features:
- Loved it except...CaligirlDined on 9/23/2014Food was great and server was friendly. However the person who take empty plates was noisy. I had clam chowder and sea food pasta and my husband had a salad and stake. Mine was fantastic, but it wasn't enough portion for a guy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- room with a viewstrangerinthenightDined on 9/21/2014although not fully occupied, the first offer was a smaller table in "second row" (our reservation had asked for window table). Friendly reaction on refusal, window table ready a few minutes later. Perfect and friendly service, interesting kitchen with special tastings, perfectly balanced. Wine list really notable (prices too). Nice evening-looks over harbor and coast.Special Features:
- Overrated Denny's style placeTripperDined on 9/21/2014A well located restaurant attached to a nice hotel has a disappointing delivery. The service, food and atmosphere or more like a Denny's. Although fully priced, the food is plain and unimaginative.Special Features:
- Schooners aye, mates!edpdxDined on 9/20/2014Wife and I went for an anniversary dinner. Had a drink at the bar while waiting for our reserved table. Our host said he'd have our one drink tab follow us. The ban man gently insisted we settle before taking our drinks. The waiters and servers were top shelf. Food damned fine. Excellent ambiance. Go there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middle of the roadAFoodDined on 9/19/2014Dungeness crab on special board. We asked where is it on menus? Oh, in cippino, for example. When the soup arrived with Alaskan King crab , we asked where the dungeness crab was Reply: "Oh, you want some? I can get it". That's as far as we got. Food pretty ordinary, fish overlooked and potatoes barely warm. Beautiful view, relaxing environment.Special Features:
- Service and Food Quality LackingPeterDined on 9/13/2014Service- Water glasses not refilled ever, empty Cocktail glasses on the table for the entire 2.5 hours, appetizer plates on table most of the night, empty wine bottle on table the entire night; clearly no one cared. Food - Ex. the steaks, everything was, as expected, good. All three steaks were absolutely terrible. Three steaks (two fillets as part of the surf & turf) were deeply charred/burned and were not edible and were left on plates mainly untouched but the staff could not have cared. It was an anniversary dinner so we did not want to ruin our time by complaining. Clearly no one in management was overseeing the nightly table service as it would have been obvious that something was very wrong.Special Features:
- Noisy and Blown away by Air condTommybDined on 9/13/2014Food and service was good - no complaints However we had to change table 3 Times' to get away from Cold Air in our heads/neck, but still not acceptabel Noise lever from Air condition was frustratingly high, and noise level from people in the restaurant was so high it was impossible to speak across the table. We could Hardly hear the voice of the waitress While ordering When complaining afterwards, we got a free breakfast as compensationSpecial Features:
- BeautifulDanaVIPDined on 9/10/2014We loved this restaurant. It had great service, farm to table food, and beautiful views of Monterrey Bay. Cant't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Monterey's best.luvgreatfoodDined on 9/9/2014Outstanding location, ambience, food and best of all attentive service by our hostess and server Sarda. Views at sunset were great. Not a bad seat in the house. Our 40th wedding anniversary dinner could not have been more perfect. The filet mignon wrapped in bacon with angry prawns is one of the best meals ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexasTwoStepTexasTwoStepDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Schooners. They accommodated all our special requests for my husbands BDay celebration. The service was excellent and food was superior. Would recommend and will return if we visit Monterey again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014We has farm to table menu. The coq au vin was soooo salty! The veggies were soaked in salt! Also it was my husbands birthday and I had specifically asked for candle on his dessert but they forgot or claimed they didn't see the request. Ruined the moment.Special Features:
- Outstanding777flygirlDined on 9/2/2014The service was outstanding and the food fabulous. Had filet mignon and lobster with a side of mash potatoes and aspargus. Roland our waiter was exceptional.Special Features:
- I WANT IT TO BE BETTERWallyDined on 8/25/2014Schooners is located on the Monterey Bay side of the Monterey Plaza Hotel. The views are spectacular and the overall décor of the restaurant is very nice. For the most part the food is excellent to very good. I feel that there could be a little improvement here and there. I would have to say that the wait staff service can be hit and miss. We had very good service for breakfast but a little lack luster for dinner. By lack luster I mean that they were slow in their responsiveness and a little forgetful. They offered a dark napkin for my wife since she was wearing dark pants but it never showed up.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great dinner and our waitress was fantasticSpecial Features:
- High hopes, poor serviceJeffDined on 8/21/2014We were on vacation and found that many folks recommended this restaurant. We arrived a bit early and were sent to the bar to get a drink. We were pretty much ignored by the waitress who seemed to be walking around aimlessly. When we were seated for dinner (inside), we noticed that the table came up to our necks. We looked and discovered that we had been seated at a handicap accessible table, even though none of us is handicapped. We looked around and saw dozens of empty tables. We asked to be moved. The place seems to be run by amateurs. The food was good, but not worth the price.
- Schooners Coastal KitchenEsticDined on 8/20/2014The view was excellent, the food was good, and the service a little slow. We had a reservation for 7:15 to catch the sunset, but weren't seated until after 7:30. We started with Angry Prawns. Don't know where they got the name from because even though it's listed as cooked with chili, they were not spicy. For entrees we had Seared Mahi Mahi which was baked not seared and Grilled Swordfish. Both had different sides from what was listed on the menu. Strange but still delicious. We also ordered a side of Baked Artichokes which were super tasty! Overall I would recommend this place because the views were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.