Schlesinger's Chop House
1106 William Styron Square South
Newport News, VA 23606Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Schlesinger's Chop House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.schlesingerssteaks.com/
- Phone: 7575994700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Schlesinger's offers a wide variety of Hors d' oeuvres for any size party. From seafood to mouth watering beef tenderloin.
- Private Party Facilities: Need a private dining room for a family or business event? Two private dining rooms are available for parties of 12-40 people. Special menus are available or one can be customized to fit your needs. Or maybe a smaller gathering of 6-8 people for semi-private round table? We can help you plan an event you will be proud to have.
- Private Party Contact: Flo-Ann Weaver 7575994700x
- Entertainment: The spectacular SUNDAY BRUNCH BUFFET features live local acoustical guitarist, and a wonderful assortment of offerings. Enjoy made to order omelets, Belgian Waffles and carved Prime Rib. Other features include, assorted salads, bagels, smoked Salmon, cheese grits, bacon, surry sausage and a variety of other breakfast and lunch items. End it all with a wonderful cup of coffee and a visit to the irresistible dessert bar.
We look forward to seeing you.
A word from Schlesinger's Chop House
Schlesinger's Chop House located in Charming Port Warwick in Newport News, offers the finest Midwestern, corn fed, aged beef and the freshest seafood available along with an award winning wine list. The elegant yet casual decor and impeccable service has made Schlesinger's one of the best restaurants on the Peninsula. Come join us for a wonderful dining experience.Continued
Schlesinger's also offers a full bar and patio dining.
Schlesinger's also offers a full bar and patio dining.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Schlesinger's Chop House - Best Restaurants in Newport News ›
Schlesinger's Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)romantic (40)notable wine list (24)fit for foodies (23)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (17)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great dinner!tesieDined on 10/15/2014Had a lovely time here with good friends. Attentive but not intrusive server. Only negative was slightly overcooked steak. All else was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceHoneyCatDined on 10/11/2014Enjoyed superb steaks and sides in attractive, comfortable atmosphere. Even as restaurant filled up, noise level was low. We were traveling through Newport News and we highly recommend it. Prices are what you expect for top quality steak restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going backLuv2eatDined on 10/10/2014This was our 2nd visit and I am sure it was our last visit as well. The 1st time my husband and I got the Tomahawk steak and seafood trio, he enjoyed his steak but my seafood and Vegatable were horrible. Then I thought well this was a steakhouse and I should have got a steak instead of seafood. So during our 2nd visit I ordered a cawboy cut ribeye steak. This time my husband's steak was burnt and mine was dry, chewy and tasteless. I could not believe how a good chef could make a ribeye steak so dry and tasteless. Unfortunately my husband never complaint about his food in the restaurant instead he simply says that we would not go back. I could have spent that $200 somewhere that I could actually enjoy my meal.
- Fantastic!WVUAlumDined on 10/6/2014My wife and I went to Schlesinger's Chop House to celebrate our one-year wedding anniversary. I had a NY Strip, Au Poivre and she had the stuffed shrimp. Everything about this dining experience was fantastic, from the restaurant itself, the waitress, and, most importantly, the food. No complaints at all.Special Features:
- What A Restaurant!12AwesomediningDined on 10/3/2014I have been in the hampton roads area for a few years and had no ideal we had such a nice restaurant in the Newport News area. I was very impressed by the professionalism of the staff, the service, the appearance of the restaurant. The food was excellent and now I'm a customer for life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakluverDined on 9/29/2014Excellent food! Great steaks! Perfect for special intimate occasions.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and delicious foodPartyOfTwoDined on 9/29/2014My wife and I went here for our second anniversary and the food was incredible. They offered a wide variety of wine and the Pinot Noir we had was perfect. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a romantic spot to celebrate or even just for a nice dinner. The menu is pricey but the food was absolutely worth it.Special Features:
- Great Filet Mignon and Sweet PotatopastorterryDined on 9/22/2014Sierra was a great waitress. The food was great. I enjoyed a well cooked Filet and baked sweet potato. The 8 ounce filet was cooked medium and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Two wishes...FraneeDined on 9/20/2014That Schlesinger's Chop House was closer to my home and that I could afford the luxury of dining there more often. Probably one of my favorite all time places to dine. Must return for the prime rib; though it wasn't my selection, our dining friends raved about it. They are both excellent amateur chefs and don't rave lightly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 100 starstboneDined on 9/18/2014food outstanding, service outstanding, what more do you want? FANTASTIC! our server went above and beyond to make a birthday grand for our 89 year old foodie.Special Features:
- A Hidden Gemzoo76Dined on 9/6/2014Tucked away amongst a diverse residential and business section of Newport News, Schleshinger's Chop House is an amazing establishment. Top quality service, the staff is professional and personable. The menu provided great variety and choice options, and the food is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect special evening!DinewithyouDined on 8/31/2014Had a truly wonderful evening at Schlesingers. They accommodated my request for an intimate table as we were celebrating a college graduation. We started off with 2 appetizers to share, the scallops and a Brie with toppings and a lovely Shiraz that was recommended. Two of us enjoyed the Sunday night surf and turf special, chose a salad with our entree and the best chocolate cake! Everything served was prepared perfectly and so delicious. Gina gave us terrific service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerweatherrockDined on 8/26/2014Out of town customer appreciation dinner. Food and service was great. Crab cake and shrimp appetizers, soup and salad, and steak entrees were all very good. Service was attentive and appropriate. I would recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- Rude, Abrupt Attitudes By StaffMayoplanVIPDined on 8/24/2014On my wife's birthday, i made an reservation and was greeted with inexperience by my server, then abrupt treatment by management and then rude behavior by a staffer cleaning who gave us the "bums rush". They took my reservation for 2:30 on a Sunday and insisted on serving me bacon and eggs in a place that supposedly serves "chops". Worse yet, even if we wanted eggs (and we didn't) the server said we had 15 minutes to eat before staff would break down the breakfast buffet. The manager treated us in an arroggant fashion and had no excuse for taking a 2:30 reservation on opentable and not being able to serve a decent lunch at this time of day. We, of course walked out. This was the worst experience. Go to FiN across the street. Nicer people.
- Eagan diningNubndva1Dined on 8/23/2014I had heard so many wonderful things about this restaurant & my dining experience was exceeded my expectations. The food was scrumptious, the wine was superb, and the service was first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks!Euterpe135Dined on 8/16/2014We received a gift card to Schlesinger's...the food was excellent, but a little pricey. We would only go back on special occasions. The location was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectcelebrationDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I went to Schlesinger's Chop House for our anniversary. We had a wonderful time - very attentive service and great food. We plan to go back... soon.Special Features:
- best on the peninsulacab02Dined on 8/3/2014consintly excellent in every aspect.The food has always been fantastic,aymosphere and service top-notch.you owe it to yourself to enjoy a terrific dining experience.Special Features:
- Food was OutstandingjrandyDined on 7/30/2014Food was Outstanding, table services as Very Good, the bar area was cliquish, if you expect good / friendly bar service you need to be a regular.Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceIrongateDined on 7/30/2014We went for lunch. Wonderfully delicious food. Great place for business lunch. Our server was most attentive and polite.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!synergy727Dined on 7/28/2014My husband and I came back here to celebrate our first anniversary. As always, the food was superb and the service was excellent. We were even surprised with a decadent chocolate cupcake for our anniversary. I am definitely looking forward to dining here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014Frequent diner and love this place. However the omelet bar line for brunch is now too long at times (greater than 10 min). Other than that, everything was fantastic (service, variety and ambiance). Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it OnceDkp2Dined on 7/19/2014Service was amazing, waiters go out the way to make you happy. Food was overall good. Steaks are definitely their specialty, both my wife's and mine were cooked perfectly. The appetizer (seared scallop) was small, but tasty. The lobster with the steak was rather plain, but cooked well. The dessert was phenomal (chocolate lava cake). Very good wine list with reasonable prices. All that being said, the food was definitely not worth the price we paid. For some reason this place is very expensive, and the food (taste, presentation, flavors, timeliness) is not comparable. It's a nice place to try once.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014Great service, great food! A little on the pricey side, but great for that special night out...Special Features:
- Always good!BBFbirthdayDined on 7/11/2014The dinner was to celebrate a birthday with a surprise guest's arrival. The entire staff was extremely cooperative in helping pull off the celebration and Jim, our server, was awesome. He took care of each guest to perfection without being intrusive. Food was great as always. We love to go to Schlesinger's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- undercooked steakunimpressedDined on 7/8/2014Surprised to see that a place that charges 50 BUCKS for a steak can't cook a medium temp. Sent it back but still under cooked...my wife ate it anyway so we didn't have to wait any longer. Blah!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/6/2014we had a large party of elven and dined in the back room with the fire place. we had an excellent time. the food and the delicious and the ambiance was wonderful.Special Features:
- awesome placefoodie4lifeDined on 7/6/2014The restaurant was delightful our server Brittany was a gem the food was superb. The atmosphere was wonderful and inviting. The manager was awesome . We have been there before a few years ago, don't remember it being this great I will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced overall,steak overcookedTomfromCODined on 7/3/2014The server was quite attentive and the manager said hi when we entered and enquired about our meal after we were done. We had the lobster appetizer and it was good but a little small. Our salads were good along with the bread. My fiancee had the seafood trio and the shrimp and scallops were good but the crabcake was over salted. I had their signature NY steak and requested medium rare and got well done. Because we had a movie to catch, I didn't send it back. We were there on the Thursday before the 4th of July and the place was less that 1/5 full. For $50 I would hope that they could get my steak right on a slow night, but I guess not. I would not recommend this place unless you like your steaks over cooked.Special Features:
- Wonderful location for anniversarySatiatedDined on 7/3/2014We celebrated our 32 anniversary at Schlesinger's Chop House in Newport News. It was absolutely amazing start to finish.Special Features:
- 2disappointedDined on 7/2/2014For our anniversary dinner, my wife and I both ordered small filet mignons to be cooked medium. When the food was brought to the table, the plates were excessively hot and the meat was still sizzling. Although extremely hot, my filet was cooked as requested. However, my wife's filet was well done. The waiter apologized for the overly cooked meat saying the warming unit was turned up too high. Later, the manager came by to ask how our meal was and was told about the well done meat. He made no offer to comp my wife's meal but did offer her a free desert. Schlesinger's has always been a place to go for special events but this was quite a disappointment. It will be awhile before we consider going back.
- Great time at Schlesinger's fortopsteakDined on 6/28/2014We had a great time at Schlesinger's for our 40 year anniversary. The food in which I got the Cowboy rib eye was wonderful, great taste and cooked the way I like it. My wife got the steak and seafood. The seafood was cooked just right and not over done. The waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good come back by staffvafirstDined on 6/27/2014After being treated like we were something that she'd scraped off of her shoe and made to wait 15 minutes past our 6pm reservation, the hostess felt us worthy to be seated in an almost empty dining room. Her parting blow was to put our table next to a very large group that was celebrating something to do with being older than 62. I don't know if they couldn't hear or had been drinking but the volume from their table made it next to impossible to have any sort of conversation at our table. The manager and server could not have been nicer. They were very attentive, the food was good and well-timed. I just wish that the front service had been better. When you're shelling out $120 for dinner, you don't expect to be treated like garbage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 642 reviews are from the Schlesinger's Chop House reviews archive.
- Special Place for Special EventsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014We love coming to Schlesinger's with friends to celebrate special events. The food is always outstanding, especially the seared tuna, fried oysters and the Steak and Lobster Tail special on Sundays. The service is always friendly and remembers us when we return.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerLuv2eatDined on 6/15/2014The food was fantastic. I recommend the key lime pie for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's dayCattyDined on 6/15/2014I took my husband to one of his favorite spots to celebrate Fathers Day. His usual filet was perfect and I chose a seafood medley of crabcake, scallops and sauteed shrimp with a red pepper coulis, excellent. I have done numerous reviews on this site for this restaurant and all have been A-1.Special Features:
- Great Service1milliondollarsDined on 6/14/2014I was so glad that I picked this restaurant for our 6th year anniversary. The service by our waitress was outstanding!!! Then also getting a little card and a cupcake to acknowledge our anniversary was really nice as well. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. 5 Star all the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteeleDined on 6/10/2014The food and service is exceptional. We've eaten at their sister restaurant in Williamsburg (Opus 9) and love it. Wanted to try Schlesingers and weren't disappointed either. My only comment is that in spite of the excellent decor and food, we felt cramped. We had a booth and - folks, we're not big people here - but we felt the seating was cut about as small as they could and call it a booth. At least ours was. Bench seats could have been a little further back. PLUS when they moved some nearby tables around to accomodate a large group and the wait staff was attending to that table, we couldn't get out of our seats. No way possible. Bottom line, The food was fabulous and our waiter, Steve, was one of the best we've ever had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014Only recommend for a special occasion as the prices were high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FineDining1587FoodCritic55Dined on 6/6/2014Schlesinger's Chop House is one of the best restaurants in the state of Virginia. The food ingredients are the best, the food is fresh and the quality is impeccable. The chefs' know how to manipulate and transform the ingredients in a dish in respect to its essence, tradition and science. One experiences a real sense of harmony within themselves during this culinary experience. The atmosphere at Schlesinger's offers the appropriate lighting, eye catching interior design, people engaged in conversation and indulged in the fine dining experience, aromas, soft background music, excellent service, and such a memorable evening. Your experience at Schlesinger's will leave's you with total satisfaction.Special Features: